Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My old, firmly Baptist Grandmother was on her deathbed, and someone who's known to have visions and had no knowledge of her death claimed to see her leaving the hospital young and healthy at approximately the time she died. Needless to say, it's too close to be coincidence, so being the reasonable guy I am, I came to the conclusion that Christianity was probably right. Exactly what I believe specifically is still up in the air. I'm torn between joining the Baptist, Anabaptist, or Greek Orthodox Churches. Each one appeals to my sensibilities for different reasons, but no matter what the case, I have no choice but to be a Christian at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was brought up Catholic, and that helped me to keep from getting killed or put in jail for the rest of my life, plus I had enough principles so I could live with my parents and not take sides during their divorce, and then go through college and make a living.

But I was a social misfit. People actually hired me, though, to teach, to care for special needs children, and become a Navy Hospital Corpsman and laboratory worker. But I messed it all up, and in the Navy I asked Jesus to save me but then I was just criticizing people, most of the time, and fearing women who I thought might want to marry me. But at least I was in the Bible and dealing with what Jesus has to say about me, instead of how I was just busy busy busy with doing things I thought would get me to Heaven. I needed to find out how to love, and be personal with God.

I broke down from my so-called faith a number of times. And one day I sensed seeing Jesus on the cross, and I understood that the thief on the cross just knew he needed Jesus and trusted in Him. I was told in myself not to try to straighten myself out, but Jesus would know what to do with me. And I offered myself to Him, for Him to be the Judge of if I was being for real with Him, about this, or not. And since then . . . thank You, God ! ! !

My main correction process still has been to not be so fast to criticize wrong people, but first care about them and have hope for them and pray blessing to them all. And grow in how God has me being submissive and gentle and quiet in sharing with Him > Colossians 3:15, 1 Peter 3:4. And He has people who help me with this. I am not on my own :)

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I left the Catholic church because I didn't agree with most of their teachings. I still believe they are saved like the rest of us though. Because, they believe in Jesus and rely on him for salvation. Faith is what saves us, not getting doctrine 100% correct like I stated in another thread.

If i believed i could be saved as a catholic i would have remained in that religion.. I believe if one wants to be saved they must believe Jesus and reject all teachings that are in rebellion against the teachings of Jesus.. If one wants to be saved by Jesus one needs to trust totally in what Jesus did to save them and place absolutely no salvational value on anything they do in regards to works..

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If i believed i could be saved as a catholic i would have remained in that religion.. I believe if one wants to be saved they must believe Jesus and reject all teachings that are in rebellion against the teachings of Jesus.. If one wants to be saved by Jesus one needs to trust totally in what Jesus did to save them and place absolutely no salvational value on anything they do in regards to works..
Not exactly. We both left the Catholic church because we didn't believe in their teachings. That doesn't mean that Catholics cannot be saved. They rely on Jesus only for salvation just like every other Christian. Therefore they are just as saved as any other Christian because we aren't saved by doctrine. We are saved by our Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not exactly. We both left the Catholic church because we didn't believe in their teachings. That doesn't mean that Catholics cannot be saved. They rely on Jesus only for salvation just like every other Christian. Therefore they are just as saved as any other Christian because we aren't saved by doctrine. We are saved by our Lord Jesus Christ.

Again i disagree with you.. They disbelieve that Jesus sacrificial death pays the penalty for all their sins because they believe that Purgatory is a place where catholics go after death to face punishment for their venial sins and by being punished they are purged of these sins. This does not even include what the catholic church calls Mortal sins like Murder and Adultery. So these sins cannot be paid for even in purgatory according to the catholic church..

I believe without a doubt that the Atonement of Jesus covers all my sins i have ever done or will ever do in this life and when i die i shall have eternal life without the need for me to pay for my sins by taking punishments in a place like purgatory..

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Again i disagree with you.. They disbelieve that Jesus sacrificial death pays the penalty for all their sins because they believe that Purgatory is a place where catholics go after death to face punishment for their venial sins and by being punished they are purged of these sins. This does not even include what the catholic church calls Mortal sins like Murder and Adultery. So these sins cannot be paid for even in purgatory according to the catholic church..

I believe without a doubt that the Atonement of Jesus covers all my sins i have ever done or will ever do in this life and when i die i shall have eternal life without the need for me to pay for my sins by taking punishments in a place like purgatory..
You're of course free to disagree with me. But I stand by what I said. Anyway, this topic is getting off topic. It isn't about whether or not Catholics are saved or not. Its about how we all came to Christ.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You're of course free to disagree with me. But I stand by what I said. Anyway, this topic is getting off topic. It isn't about whether or not Catholics are saved or not. Its about how we all came to Christ.

We come to Christ by seeking Christ and being lead into understanding by the leading of the Holy Spirit.. The Holy Spirit lets us know what it is we need to embrace / accept to have the gift of Eternal life..

That's how we come to Christ..

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
We come to Christ by seeking Christ and being lead into understanding by the leading of the Holy Spirit.. The Holy Spirit lets us know what it is we need to embrace / accept to have the gift of Eternal life..

That's how we come to Christ..
I agree.

Upvote 0

Waddler

Live a story worth telling well.
Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was raised in a Christian household and made a profession of faith when I was five. When I turned eighteen, I left denominations behind after reading of Christ's prayer for unity among Believers. My faith waxed and waned, until I fell into agnosticism for a brief time. My faith was made new again after a traumatic experience.

I don't know when I was given salvation, but I don't think I ever lost it once I had it. I've merely struggled to sort what is true from what I was told. I've recently started posting here again, but I've put in a request to change my faith icon back to Christian (it's Agnostic at the time I'm writing this).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cassidy Bennett

Child of God
Jul 5, 2017
Pittsburgh
✟17,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was 3 my mom found me looking out the window at the stars. She asked what I was doing and I told her, "I'm talking to God. Look! He's holding my hand!" as I raised my hand. We didn't go to church often and she was very surprised by it.

As I got older I veered away quite a bit at times. Though I always prayed. I searched other religions and philosophies. I tried being an atheist a few times when going through trials, but I would always break down and come back.

I had a near-death experience when I was very sick. I never really understood how much God loves us until that moment. It makes me more patient when dealing with difficult people. However it makes me sad that most people don't understand how much they are loved. If they did, we would live in a much different world.

Upvote 0