How Dependable are Apostolic Fathers Writings?

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does anyone know how dependable the writings we have of the Apostolic Fathers are? Especially Ignatius of Antioch?

It seems we don't have many copies. I read at first there were 15 letters of Ignatius, then 8 of them were deemed apocryphal. Of the seven left there are some variations that make me pause.

With my dis-trust of the institution of Catholicism, I am wondering if at times they altered them to support what they wanted. We just seem to have scant few copies to verify things - nothing at all like the New Testament where there are copies a mile high.

• Informative
Reactions: Pioneer3mm

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone know how dependable the writings we have of the Apostolic Fathers are? Especially Ignatius of Antioch?

It seems we don't have many copies. I read at first there were 15 letters of Ignatius, then 8 of them were deemed apocryphal. Of the seven left there are some variations that make me pause.

With my dis-trust of the institution of Catholicism, I am wondering if at times they altered them to support what they wanted. We just seem to have scant few copies to verify things - nothing at all like the New Testament where there are copies a mile high.

The writings of the Church Fathers are as reliable as they can be. While there are what we would in modern times call forgeries, even those were not created for any nefarious reasons. Most of them, and some books attributed to the apostles, are what we might call fan fiction today.

Now, before my Catholic friends come along and kick me out, what causes the distrust you feel toward the Roman Church?

Upvote 0