How concerned should Christians be about climate change?

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ted (and by the way my name is Zoii, NOT Zoli)
I have no issues with your faith in the bible in terms of it being a tool for your spiritual and moral development.

It is of no relevance though in a discussion about climate change. It just isn't a scientific text in any way shape of form. Hence - for those of my generation concerned for our future, we look to the scientific consensus on Climate science, not the bible.

Hi zoii,

Sorry for the error, I'm old and my vision's bad. Thankfully, I'm not quite as blind as Isaac in his later years.

Unfortunately, my faith in what the Scriptures reveal to me goes a bit deeper than just the spiritual things and moral development. As I explained, of all the words written in the Scriptures, the majority of them deal with historical accounts. Especially the old covenant. I have already agreed with you that the Scriptures are not some 'scientific' tome. However, they do give us quite a bit of insight into future events, and there doesn't seem to be any warning or explanation of any kind that the world is going to be in any kind of catastrophic 'natural' danger when Jesus returns.

Now, after Jesus returns, yes, there are some issues concerning catastrophic events upon the earth, but they don't any of them seem to be caused by natural events. Therefore, while I'm in agreement that the earth is warming a bit, I'm not quite prepared to start running around like Chicken Little declaring that the sky is falling and we're destroying the earth, when God's word pretty well tells me that the earth is going to endure through seed time and harvest until the end that is prepared for it. At which time it won't much matter if the seas are over everyone's head.

Further, and this may just be an understanding that is peculiar to me, I also don't believe what 'science' tells us of the age or creation of the earth. So, not trusting them in that field, may make it easier for me to not have much trust in other things that they can't actually know, but can only guess, as the reduction in the sea level rise seems to show that, at least to some degree, they are doing.

If they knew that the glaciers in Glacier National Park would be gone by 2020...well, they'd be gone wouldn't they? If they knew that sea level rise was going to inundate many parts of the earth, and a third of the expected ice melt has already occurred...well, shouldn't we see at least 1/3 of the catastrophic change happening? I do understand, I believe, the limitations of scientific methodology. One of those limitations is that they can draw up hypothesis and make 'proven' claims based on their hypothesis being true, but a lot of it is based on the underlying hypothesis being true. As the future unfolds, as we've found at Glacier National Park, sometimes the full realization of those hypothetical claims don't actually play out as expected.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
No I wasn't - which makes the rest of your post incorrect as well.

I make reference to The UN Convention of climate scientists with some 12000 registrants
(I attach their outcome statements - these are regarded as high end experts)

Was there supposed to be a link included here?

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Climate Intelligence (CLINTEL) is an independent foundation that operates in the fields of climate change and climate policy. CLINTEL’s main objective is to generate knowledge and understanding of the causes and effects of climate change as well as the effects of climate policy. Over 800 scientists and professionals have signed their 'World Climate Declaration', stating that there is no climate change emergency.

Upvote 0

MoreQuestions

Jan 10, 2020
Winson
✟10,716.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
Considering that what we're seeing was for the most part prophecied, as well as the powerful forces that appear to be deliberately destroying the earth, how much of our personal resources (time, effort, money) should we commit to 'saving' the earth?
Why would God create the earth with its complex climate and ecosystems, then put people on it and allow them to destroy it? What purpose does that serve?

Upvote 0