How concerned should Christians be about climate change?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That’s hardly the whole picture. Do you want to understand this issue, or just keep repeating what you already think?

That is the whole picture, without the 'whatabouts'.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi bekkilyn,

Thanks for the link:>
A Biblical View of Dominion: Stewardship

I'm sure that Tom has the best of intentions, but I'm still not convinced that the Scriptures mean to infer in the word 'dominion'...'stewardship'. Now, I'm also not in party with those that he claims think the word means 'destruction' or 'violence' We merely have authority to live upon the earth and to rule over the fish and fowl and animals, as we see fit. It isn't about destroying anything, but neither is it about performing some gymnastic act to 'save' the earth from ourselves. We live. We produce in our work. We grow and bring home food and we, who are believers, do all of this with a heart that is turned to God and His love for us.

In the link I read: In Genesis 1:26-28 God calls mankind, beginning with Adam and Eve, to exercise dominion over the earth, subdue it, and develop its latent potential.

It would seem that Tom is using a different translation than I am. Mine doesn't say anything about mankind being given the responsibility to 'develop its latent potential'. As far as I'm concerned, that's adding to the Scriptures to support a personal agenda.

Then he writes: We are called to fill the earth with his glory through creating what we commonly call “culture.”

Really? Can you give me chapter and verse on that calling? We are called to fill the earth. That's the end of the calling. We are not called to fill the earth with His glory, God does that Himself. What exactly does it mean to 'fill the earth with his glory' through creating what we commonly call "culture". I don't find any reference in all the pages of my copy of the Scriptures to support that understanding. God merely gives us the authority to have dominion over the earth and to multiply and fill it. (period) Now, how others might stretch that out to then include what Tom seems to think is the 'true' application of those words, is a bit more questionable to me.

In GNC (Good News Club) today the memory verse was Paul's admonition to the Philippians to not be anxious, but to lay our problems before God who will give us peace. I'm not anxious that man is going to somehow destroy what God has made to sustain my life. The earth is going to endure until God decides it has done its job. Then He's going to make a new one. He'll sustain that next one, also. I have peace that man is not going to destroy the earth and so no, I don't live with some anxiety that we better do something before it's too late. Those worries are for the worldly who don't understand what God has done and is doing that we might have life and have it abundantly.

However, it promotes more jobs and more employment, so the fear mongering is not all bad. It's just that I choose not to be a part of it because I haven't been convinced by Mr. Tom or you or those living in fear that God didn't make the earth strong enough or good enough to endures as He has promised.

Anyway, I appreciate your position and freely allow you to hold that position.

Surviving is much different than thriving. Human could cause such incredible destruction on earth that while it technically still exists with some form of humanity living on it (which would still fulfill God's plan), it would be such a miserable existence that most would wish for death, and not due to consequences that we could blame on God. It would be fully and completely due to our own failure to exercise responsibility in the authority that God gave to us from the beginning.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe that's exactly what God is wanting? That life under man's dominion becomes so unbearable that we are left with no recourse but to call on Him. In fact, when we get to the last days, the Scriptures are clear that man will be calling on the rocks and the hills to fall upon them because they will then see the glory of the Lord and come to understand the wickedness of their ways. But the earth, it will still be here and chugging along pretty well since God has promised that seed time and harvest and pretty much what we see in the regular passing of days today, will continue. In fact, Jesus likens the earth of the last days to be like the earth before the great flood. People eating and drinking and making merry and getting married and establishing families. He seems to paint the picture that the earth's going to be pretty well holding it's own when he returns as far as how the people are living. But as for your link, I'm not particularly in agreement that the author is really teaching God's truth in what he's claiming.

That's my 2¢ worth.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We merely have authority to live upon the earth and to rule over the fish and fowl and animals, as we see fit. It isn't about destroying anything, but neither is it about performing some gymnastic act to 'save' the earth from ourselves.

Nailed it.:amen: (That whole post was excellent.)

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nailed it.:amen: (That whole post was excellent.)

HI GSF,

Thanks for your affirmation. I just believe in a God that is prepared for anything that man's going to throw at Him. I'm a young earth creationist who believes that about 6,000 years ago God stepped into the black inky space of this realm and commanded the earth to exist. One singular solitary planet spinning on its axis with absolutely nothing but light filling what we know as the universe. God then built a realm of existence, i.e., stars, planets, asteroids, plants and animals and man. It was all built with the foreknowledge of what man was going to do with it. It was all built with the foreknowledge of God that one day He would return and clean up the problem of sin and declare that now the dwelling of God is with men and He will be their God and they will be His people.

We're not catching God by surprise or somehow going to subvert His plan with our work that does leave some pollution or waste upon the planet. As I pointed out in the last bit of my last post, Jesus seems to display the earth that he returns to as being pretty user friendly to the inhabitants thereof. We're all eating and drinking and marrying just as the people were on the day that God, with absolute suddenness, brought on that first raindrop that didn't stop falling for 40 days and opened up the floodgates of the deep that people didn't even know existed under their feet. One day the earth was all fine and dandy and within the next 40 days every land creature on the earth was destroyed. Jesus says that's pretty much what it's going to be like when he returns and God's final wrath is loosed upon the earth.

I trust Jesus' description of how the earth is going to be in the future over any predictions of man. Yes, I think we should be responsible in how we live upon God's earth. However, I'm not necessarily in agreement that if we don't, then we're going to destroy the earth. I'm also not convinced that the earth's average temperature or mean temperature going up a couple of degrees and the resultant changes that may bring to the ice caps, is somehow going to destroy the earth. Or that God didn't plan for that happening at this time along His timeline. Jesus doesn't seem to paint that picture for us.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you want to get the whole picture you are on your way
to your brain exploding.

No worries, "This head protected by the Holy Spirit".

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you think it’s all a sham that may just be because you aren’t familiar with what steps have been taken. You can easily find out, if you want to.

When problems become the primary resource for business, efforts to 'solve' those problems are suspect. Just look at the global healthcare/health insurance problem. The only solution is better health, but if you suggest it you are looked at like you have two heads. :eek: There is little profit for the medical/insurance industry to be found in good health.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,024.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
No worries, "This head protected by the Holy Spirit".

Thats good then.

I have to give up just trying reckon out how many light
bulbs there are in use at this moment.

The world over, in traffic (motor vehicles)
street lighting,
offices
homes
factories
It blows my socks off.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
lol in your head maybe. In reality there’s a bit more going on.

Romania, like many developed nations, has a very energy dependent economy, and I'll bet that need is growing, not declining.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thats good then.

I have to give up just trying reckon out how many light
bulbs there are in use at this moment.

The world over, in traffic (motor vehicles)
street lighting,
offices
homes
factories
It blows my socks off.

Just step back ("Come out of her..."), so when the whole thing blows up you don't get hurt.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I think we should be responsible in how we live upon God's earth.

But why? Why would you believe after everything that you've posted that we should be even remotely responsible in how we live on God's earth if dominion has nothing to do with good stewardship or responsibility? If God gave us dominion to live as we see fit, and what we see fit to do is plunder and exploit the earth for every last drop it can give us (as we've been systematically doing), then why should we be responsible?

I agree that as Christians we don't need to live our lives in fear, but at the same time, what example are we setting as God's representatives on earth when many unbelievers show more concern for God's beloved creation than we do?

How can we claim to love God if we treat everything he's created with disdain?

Reactions: Robban
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,024.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Just step back ("Come out of her..."), so when the whole thing blows up you don't get hurt.

Nah,I like living.

btw, a light on the horizon,
we are getting there,

I bought a new led navigation light, it lasts 40,000 hours and uses under
1 amp.

Hehe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romania, like many developed nations, has a very energy dependent economy, and I'll bet that need is growing, not declining.

How energy is sourced is the question, not whether energy is used. Check out how Norway is tackling the issue, and how Portugal has managed entire 24hr periods using nothing but renewable sources. Why some deny and ignore, others are doing something about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
All I can say to that is that you should read and reflect on your own post again until you get the actual meaning of what you selectively quoted. It’s all there, if you can get past the superficial conclusions.

Please enlighten me, on the message I am missing.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0