Admission Free, but Churches Empty. Dreams and Realities of a Pontificate on the Wane

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Church “does not have doors”, and therefore everyone can come in, but truly “everyone, everyone, everyone, without any exclusion.” This is the message on which Pope Francis insisted most during his travel to Lisbon, in the run-up to a synod that – in its “Instrumentum laboris” – puts at the top of the list of those invited to enter “the divorced and remarried, people in polygamous marriages, or LGBTQ+ Catholics.”

But meanwhile in Italy, where Francis is bishop of Rome and primate, the churches are emptying out. An in-depth survey conducted for the magazine “Il Timone” by Euromedia Research has determined that today only 58.4 percent of Italian citizens over the age of 18 identify themselves as “Catholics,” as opposed to the 37 percent who are “non-believers.” And those who go to Mass on Sundays are just 13.8 percent of the population, mostly over 45, with even lower numbers in Lombardy and Veneto, the regions that have been the historic stronghold of the Italian “Catholic world.”

Not only that. Even among “practicing” Catholics, those who go to Mass once or more a month, just one out of three recognizes in the Eucharist “the real body of Christ,” while the others reduce it to a vague “symbol” or a “commemoration of the bread of the last supper.” And also just one in three are those who go to confession at least once a year, still convinced that it is a sacrament for the “remission of sins.” It comes as no surprise that the Benedictine theologian Elmar Salmann should have said in a June 14 interview with “L’Osservatore Romano” that even more concerning for him than the number of the faithful is the decline of sacramental practice, which “is about to go under.”

A decline that is accompanied by a conspicuous yielding to the “spirit of the time” in the fields of doctrine and morality. 43.8 percent of practicing Catholics consider abortion a right, 41.6 percent believe it is right to allow homosexual marriages, 61.8 percent deny that divorce is a sin, 71.6 percent approve contraception. A certain resistance is seen only with regard to the surrogate womb, with two thirds of the practicing opposed.

But if this is the reality of the facts, what could be the effect of the persistent invitation to welcome into the Church “everyone, everyone, everyone,” that is, even none other than “the divorced and remarried, people in polygamous marriages, or LGBTQ+ Catholics,” who according to what the Church has always taught “cannot receive all the sacraments?”

This is the question that Anita Hirschbeck, of the “Katholische Nachrichten-Agentur,” posed to the pope at the press conference on the flight back from Lisbon on August 6.

Francis replied that yes, everyone must be welcomed into the Church, “ugly and beautiful, good and bad,” including homosexuals. But “ministeriality in the Church is another thing, which is the way of moving the flock forward, and one of the important things is, in ministeriality, accompanying people step by step on their way of maturation… The Church is mother, she receives everyone, and each one makes his way within the Church.”

Thus stated, this response from the pope hits the brakes on the course of the “synodal way” of Germany, but not of it alone, toward a revolution in the Church’s doctrine on sexuality.

And it is an answer entirely in line, instead, with what is written in the much more solid “Pastoral letter on human sexuality” published by the bishops of Scandinavia last Lent: “It may happen that circumstances make a Catholic unable, for a time, to receive the sacraments. He or she does not therefore cease to be a member of the Church. Experience of internal exile embraced in faith can lead to a deeper sense of belonging.”

But it should be noted that Francis does not always speak and act consistently on these issues.

The blessing of same-sex couples, for example, although prohibited – with the pope’s written agreement – by the dicastery for the doctrine of the faith headed by Cardinal Luis Francisco Ladaria Ferrer, has in fact been approved by Francis himself on several occasions.

And now that Ladaria will be succeeded by Victor Manuel Fernández, the controversial Argentine theologian favored by Jorge Mario Bergoglio, it can be taken as assured that the time of the guardians of doctrine “who point and condemn” is over, replaced with a new, irenic program of “harmonious growth” between “differing currents of thought in philosophy, theology, and pastoral practice,” which “will preserve Christian doctrine more effectively than any control mechanism,” as stated in the unusual letter from the pope that accompanied the appointment of the new prefect.

Continued below.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All predicted in Holy Scripture.

"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first..."
(2 Thessalonians 2:3)

At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other....and because of the increase of lawlessness, the love of many will grow cold."
(Matthew 24:10, 23)

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The Church “does not have doors”, and therefore everyone can come in, but truly “everyone, everyone, everyone, without any exclusion.” This is the message on which Pope Francis insisted most during his travel to Lisbon, in the run-up to a synod that – in its “Instrumentum laboris” – puts at the top of the list of those invited to enter “the divorced and remarried, people in polygamous marriages, or LGBTQ+ Catholics.”

But meanwhile in Italy, where Francis is bishop of Rome and primate, the churches are emptying out. An in-depth survey conducted for the magazine “Il Timone” by Euromedia Research has determined that today only 58.4 percent of Italian citizens over the age of 18 identify themselves as “Catholics,” as opposed to the 37 percent who are “non-believers.” And those who go to Mass on Sundays are just 13.8 percent of the population, mostly over 45, with even lower numbers in Lombardy and Veneto, the regions that have been the historic stronghold of the Italian “Catholic world.”

Not only that. Even among “practicing” Catholics, those who go to Mass once or more a month, just one out of three recognizes in the Eucharist “the real body of Christ,” while the others reduce it to a vague “symbol” or a “commemoration of the bread of the last supper.” And also just one in three are those who go to confession at least once a year, still convinced that it is a sacrament for the “remission of sins.” It comes as no surprise that the Benedictine theologian Elmar Salmann should have said in a June 14 interview with “L’Osservatore Romano” that even more concerning for him than the number of the faithful is the decline of sacramental practice, which “is about to go under.”

A decline that is accompanied by a conspicuous yielding to the “spirit of the time” in the fields of doctrine and morality. 43.8 percent of practicing Catholics consider abortion a right, 41.6 percent believe it is right to allow homosexual marriages, 61.8 percent deny that divorce is a sin, 71.6 percent approve contraception. A certain resistance is seen only with regard to the surrogate womb, with two thirds of the practicing opposed.

But if this is the reality of the facts, what could be the effect of the persistent invitation to welcome into the Church “everyone, everyone, everyone,” that is, even none other than “the divorced and remarried, people in polygamous marriages, or LGBTQ+ Catholics,” who according to what the Church has always taught “cannot receive all the sacraments?”

This is the question that Anita Hirschbeck, of the “Katholische Nachrichten-Agentur,” posed to the pope at the press conference on the flight back from Lisbon on August 6.

Francis replied that yes, everyone must be welcomed into the Church, “ugly and beautiful, good and bad,” including homosexuals. But “ministeriality in the Church is another thing, which is the way of moving the flock forward, and one of the important things is, in ministeriality, accompanying people step by step on their way of maturation… The Church is mother, she receives everyone, and each one makes his way within the Church.”

Thus stated, this response from the pope hits the brakes on the course of the “synodal way” of Germany, but not of it alone, toward a revolution in the Church’s doctrine on sexuality.

And it is an answer entirely in line, instead, with what is written in the much more solid “Pastoral letter on human sexuality” published by the bishops of Scandinavia last Lent: “It may happen that circumstances make a Catholic unable, for a time, to receive the sacraments. He or she does not therefore cease to be a member of the Church. Experience of internal exile embraced in faith can lead to a deeper sense of belonging.”

But it should be noted that Francis does not always speak and act consistently on these issues.

The blessing of same-sex couples, for example, although prohibited – with the pope’s written agreement – by the dicastery for the doctrine of the faith headed by Cardinal Luis Francisco Ladaria Ferrer, has in fact been approved by Francis himself on several occasions.

And now that Ladaria will be succeeded by Victor Manuel Fernández, the controversial Argentine theologian favored by Jorge Mario Bergoglio, it can be taken as assured that the time of the guardians of doctrine “who point and condemn” is over, replaced with a new, irenic program of “harmonious growth” between “differing currents of thought in philosophy, theology, and pastoral practice,” which “will preserve Christian doctrine more effectively than any control mechanism,” as stated in the unusual letter from the pope that accompanied the appointment of the new prefect.

Continued below.
I still feel like the pontiff would call me an indietrist and say that when he means everyone, everyone, everyone that he’s not referring to me.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I still feel like the pontiff would call me an indietrist and say that when he means everyone, everyone, everyone that he’s not referring to me.
Well calling a group of people in the flock indietrists is not very welcoming if one is going to be honest. I don’t care what the usual papal apologists say.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I want to thank this thread for teaching me a new, apparently Francis-coined word, "indietrist." That said, I don't like it. What is wrong with looking 'backwards', if in that sense a person means returning to "what has always been done" in terms of liturgy, doctrine, and so forth? Were your forefathers wrong for not anticipating or embracing what is now apparently (to be) embraced? That's a very strange outlook. Perhaps the RCC needs to restore the public/liturgical recitation of the names of its holy fathers so as to remind itself as to the power of the "democracy of the dead", to sort of quote Chesterton? I know the Maronites have something very close to this (or at least seem to on the 1982 cassette recording of their qurbono that I have), but just so it is clear, what I mean is something like this (but obviously featuring those most prominent saints in the RCC communion, not a bunch of Copts, Syrians, and Armenians :) ):

My thinking here is that it would be very, very difficult (though I suppose not impossible, sadly) to continue in this idea that refusing doctrinal innovation is 'backwards' in a situation in which everyone is reminded during every liturgy/mass what it actually means to continue in the faith that has been once delivered to the saints. In my personal experience within the RCC (which admittedly ended something like 15 years ago by now, so large grain of salt included), the RCC and therefore RCs themselves are very strong in commemorations in the sense of knowing or being reminded that it's St. So-and-So's day, but there may be a kind of disconnect between what this means in an operative sense in their liturgical lives and how that practice informs or doesn't inform their viewpoints on matters of doctrine (apparently including in the thoughts of the Pope himself, which...yeah, yikes). In other words, it's one thing to say "we recognize that we are part of an ancient tradition that is not to be messed around with in response to 'modern times' or whatever, but to be reinforced and presented anew to each generation to receive, unadulterated and unconfused", and quite another to have all this talk about how the Church needs to do XYZ in response to challenges. If it is felt that your tradition does not address XYZ, is that a fault of the tradition itself such that it needs to be changed or jettisoned, or could it perhaps be the fault of the people looking into it with the preconceived notion that relying on tradition or wanting to keep it is 'backwards'?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I want to thank this thread for teaching me a new, apparently Francis-coined word, "indietrist."
Sorry. It's just that it has become a significant word now.
That said, I don't like it. What is wrong with looking 'backwards', if in that sense a person means returning to "what has always been done" in terms of liturgy, doctrine, and so forth? Were your forefathers wrong for not anticipating or embracing what is now apparently (to be) embraced? That's a very strange outlook.
That which was OK for almost 2000 years should be OK in the present and future. Granted there may be an ambiguity in what we have been doing that should be resolved in the present and the future. Thus we don't go back to pre-Nicean theological formulae without also including the Nicean truth that Jesus Christ is of the same substance as the Father. But this new progressive mentality that condemns indietrists is one that wants to unglue itself from the past as if old truths have become false.
Perhaps the RCC needs to restore the public/liturgical recitation of the names of its holy fathers so as to remind itself as to the power of the "democracy of the dead", to sort of quote Chesterton? I know the Maronites have something very close to this (or at least seem to on the 1982 cassette recording of their qurbono that I have), but just so it is clear, what I mean is something like this (but obviously featuring those most prominent saints in the RCC communion, not a bunch of Copts, Syrians, and Armenians :) ):
Good idea.

Upvote 0