✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I only handle snakes when I have to. We shouldn't temp the Lord
Well, that's one thing I don't have to worry about. We don't have snakes in New Zealand! I do have Herman, the very large black spider that lives up in the top of my Venetian blind. I leave it there because it is a good fly-catcher!

• Haha
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mines did too, and I didn't even know or expect it to happen upon having faith.

But I can't feel the supernatural things anymore. How can I know if God is there without the supernatural feelings I once had?

Faith is not a feeling. You believe in Jesus and you surrender your life to Him. There will be times God will talk to you, but seek to please God by obeying His commands by loving God and loving others.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How can we know if we actually believe and it's not just a mere profession of faith held in our neurons?

How can we know we truly experienced the Holy Spirit and not our consciousness making the experience?

And how do we know if the dictionary and definitions have been changed by satan or someone?

Is it bad that I am such a fierce rationalist, like Rene Descartes?

By being like Jesus by doing what he says.
Over time, you realize that the "way" he showed us to live works better than any other belief system.
Love God with all that's within you, Love everyone else, and Love yourself.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How can we know if we actually believe and it's not just a mere profession of faith held in our neurons?

How can we know we truly experienced the Holy Spirit and not our consciousness making the experience?

And how do we know if the dictionary and definitions have been changed by satan or someone?

How can we know that you or Descartes are/were really rationalists? :)

I think many things, maybe all, are matters of belief.

How do we know things in the dictionary are changed? I think the best way is to look the evidence. If there is no reason to think they have been changed, then we don’t have any reason to think they have been changed. :)

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

New Christians may not tap into everything that is available to them to help them experience the transformation:

I know that I needed everything God could provide to assure me of my conversion, both outwardly and mentally. God wants you to physically feel the experience of what is going on spiritually.

You need to add to your conversion a definite time place and physical experience, which God has provided for you. We talk about being “Born again”, which comes from Nicodemus encounter with Christ (John 3 :1-21):

Being “born again” is what Jesus told Nicodemus he need to do. This requires some thinking, because Jesus does not address the questions or comments that are verbalized, but directs his comments to the persons next step in their personal spiritual development (what is on their heart spiritually). Jesus is not making some general philosophical statement (like Buddha might make) but is always addressing the audience He is talking to. We have to get into the context.

What did Nicodemus need to do next in his spiritual development?

What does Nicodemus need to be doing next? (study the Old Testament, become one of the followers of Jesus right then and there, Confess, repent, etc.)

The first thing Nicodemus might do at least is what he already knows he should do? Is that not where you would start? So what is that?

Since Nicodemus is still part of the Sanhedrin, he would not have been immersed baptized by John’s baptism. That would have got him thrown out of the Sanhedrin, but being smart Nicodemus would know he should be baptized.

John’s baptism would have been a hot topic among the religious scholars, yet the answer was obvious and they all know it (remember Jesus using it against them and causing them to quit asking him questions?)

Jesus is not going to hand out the answer to Nicodemus, since Nicodemus knows the answer, but he will make Nicodemus think about it hard, since it would already be on his mind.

Christian water baptism as seen in scripture seems to fit the “born again” scenario Christ was talking about since it: Is always adult (there are only two examples that “might include infants” but nothing definite, all the others are adult believers) water immersion to be a physical outward representation of what had or is happening spiritually in the person being baptized. It is mainly to help the individual being baptized to better grasp what is going on, but it can “witness” to others observing the baptism. It has the elements of going down under the water (burying the old man), placing your dependence in another; the person baptizing you (surrendering your life to God), being washed (having your sins washed away), rising out of the water (rising from the old dead body), and stepping forth out onto the earth (a new person). The person is walking out into the hugs of his new family. It is also a sign of your humility, since it is a humbling act anyone can simple allow someone to do it to them (so not a work) and since humility has been shown in the accept of charity (God’s free gift of undeserving forgiveness) it should just support and add to the memory of that acceptance. To refuse Christian water baptism when it is readily available might mean you are not ready to handle other responsibility like having the indwelling Holy Spirit and you are hurting yourself.

Why not be baptized again (there is no rule against this) to experience all you can from being baptized?

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The point is if you believe in Christ, follow His teachings, follow His way you are a Christian. You will be given power through the Holy Spirit who will indwell you, lead you to truth, provide whatever you need to do His work, lead you through sanctification. Being a Christian is an act of faith not of intellect. Without faith it is impossible to please God.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To make your religion real, you need to follow these steps:
1. You need to know that you are a helpless, hopeless and condemned sinner and there is nothing you can do to keep you out of hell, because you deserve to go there; that there is absolutely nothing in you that pleases God.
2. You need to acknowledge that Jesus died on the cross and rose again to give you eternal life; that in dying on the cross He took your sinfulness upon Himself and gave you, in return, His pure righteousness to make you acceptable to God.
3. You need to receive Jesus as your Saviour and Lord and give your whole life to Him, acknowledging Him in all your ways, so He can guide your steps.
4. Then you need to start reading the Bible, not as a duty to read a certain amount every day, but to read as much as you can for genuine understanding; and to talk and discuss the issues of your life with God in an open and honest, and real manner, leaving nothing out.

Once you have taken those steps of faith, and you can see that it is more than just saying, "I believe in Christ" which may be no more than just believing that He exists, you can believe the promise that "He who comes to Me I will in no wise cast out." and, "To those who receive Christ, He give them the right to be called the children of God."

Believing the promises of God is an act of the will. If you trust in a religion based on feelings, you will be up one day and down the next. It will just be a roller coaster, bipolar religion. But a religion based on God's promises, which never change, you will have a settled, stable faith, which will result in commensurate actions that will demonstrate that faith.

This is the beginning, yes.

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit has fruits to it, that is how we recognize Him :Galatians 5:22-23

Please don't confuse intellect or philosophy with faith and belief. They are at the core contradictory.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums