Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... the only way to be born again is to practice the teachings of Jesus.

This is a potentially misleading way of talking about how to be born-again. There are many things Jesus taught that aren't directly related to how to be born-again. Jesus issued many moral commands, for instance. But one cannot be born-again merely by being moral.

Really, it isn't Jesus's teachings but Jesus himself who is the means of one's second spiritual birth. This fact is...obscured by pointing to his teachings rather than to him and to simple, wholehearted belief in him.

Focusing on obedience to teachings in explanation of how one is saved also sounds a lot like works-salvation. But Scripture rules out achieving the second birth by doing good deeds. (Ephesians 2:8-9; 2 Timothy 1:9; Titus 3:5) As the verses I already posted indicate, salvation, being born-again, is achieved by trusting in Christ as one's Saviour and Lord and by nothing else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Helpher

John 3:16
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Focusing on obedience to teachings in explanation of how one is saved also sounds alot like works-salvation.

Bruh, you're not arguing with me...

"Why do you call me Lord, but do not obey me"? Luke 6:46

"He who obeys me, loves me" John 14:21

"The wise person will listen to my teachings and obey them" Matthew 7:24

"My teachings will judge you". John 12:48

Upvote 0

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Works are not how one is born-again. Good works are the fruit, the consequence, of being born-again, not the means of it. (Romans 10:9-10)

Romans 10:9 says you need to confess with your mouth. How is that not a work that one does?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Romans 10:9 says you need to confess with your mouth. How is that not a work that one does?

Confession means "to agree with." The agreement of Romans 10:9, confessed with the mouth, is first formed in one's mind and heart by the work of God (John 6:44; 2 Timothy 2:25; John 16:8; Romans 12:3). Is agreeing, then, that Jesus is the resurrected Lord a good work? I don't see how. And can such agreement add to, make more complete, the perfect atoning, saving work of God through Christ?

To assert that good works have anything to do with one's spiritual second birth is to defy the clear, repeated statement of Scripture to the contrary. However you might want to construe Romans 10:9, saying confession is a work puts you at direct odds with Ephesians 2:8-9, 2 Timothy 1:9 and Titus 3:5.

Upvote 0

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Confession means "to agree with." The agreement of Romans 10:9, confessed with the mouth, is first formed in one's mind and heart by the work of God

It's still something you have to do. If you didn't have to do anything, then no one would be lost. There wouldn't even be any need to listen to God at all since listening to him is still doing something. You wouldn't even need to know about those verses.

To assert that good works have anything to do with one's spiritual second birth is to defy the clear, repeated statement of Scripture to the contrary. However you might want to construe Romans 10:9, saying confession is a work puts you at direct odds with Ephesians 2:8-9, 2 Timothy 1:9 and Titus 3:5.

You left out Ephesians 2:10 which says, "... we are created for Good works that we should 'walk in them'". These verses from Paul that we're not saved by our own goodness is simply a warning not to become proud and boastful. Jesus said much the same thing; Luke 17:10 "So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do."

We have a responsibility to practice the teachings of Jesus but we should not become proud. This is exactly the reason why Jesus said we should keep our praying, fasting, and charity-giving secret. We humans tend to become proud about our own goodness, especially in these three areas. Would we still pray, fast, and give to charity if no one else knew about it? Most of us probably would not. We love talking about such things because it makes us feel we're better than we really are.

Jesus, and Paul are simply saying we should not become like this. They aren't saying we have no obligation to obey. That would make no sense.

However, it does make sense that people who don't really want to change, but rather only to have the appearance of righteousness, would love arguments against obedience. You can talk like you're a totally spiritual person without needing to do anything. That, in itself, IS the kind of proud, boastful attitude Paul was referring to in Ephesians 2:8-10. You come across as sounding spiritual. You post Bible verses. You talk about God's grace. But it's all for the purpose of arguing against obedience.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The best and full meaning of being saved ---meaning "born again", is as John 3:16 which is RECEIVING the Lord Jesus, and not just believing ABOUT Him and/or trying to follow His teachings. It is a RELATIONSHIP which I see the Bible teaching ---note John 14; Romans 8; Galatians 2:20 and Phil. 2:10-11; etc. One will know by the indwelling and sealing of the Holy Spirit. Then give thanks and continue walking and talking with the Lord Jesus daily and one will find the Spirit making it real to the soul. Otherwise one will go on wondering if God hears them.

Upvote 0

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
which is RECEIVING the Lord Jesus,

and not just believing ABOUT Him and/or trying to follow His teachings.

This doesn't make sense. How can you say you've received Jesus if you're not actively trying to obey him?

I mean, look at what Jesus said to his own supposed followers, "Why do you call me, 'Lord', but do not obey me"? They called him Lord. They talked the right talk. But, clearly, Jesus did not believe they had received him even though they called him Lord. He was looking for obedience as evidence.

Look again at the context of John 3:16

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

The underlying lesson is that those who believe in Jesus do so by showing it through their deeds; their obedience shows that they are walking in the light.

But, those who's deeds are evil don't want them to be seen. They hide in the shadows. This is essentially the same lesson as the parable of the talents; the lazy servant who didn't want to take any risks (i.e. act on the boss' instructions) hid his talent in the darkness, believing it was safe.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are missing the point, friend, and not understanding me. To KNOW the Lord Jesus you need to call upon Him personally in faith even if you are in the gutter or other crisis. You cannot OBEY one if you do not know about him; and you cannot know much of Jesus Christ if you don't know of Him as the SAVIOR of souls and speak to Him in spirit. When we learn of Him somewhat wherever we are --especially in full in the Bible Gospel Books: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, we can speak to Him in our heart and in the secret of our 'closet' (as God says to us --Matt. 6:6, as a private place).

Just set your mind on Him in TRUE FAITH and invite Him into your heart and life; THEN truly BELIEVE that He will come by the Holy Spirit ---THEN begin obeying. If one is walking and talking with the Lord Jesus in faith and devotion, He WILL be with that one, and His Father (our Creator-God) will seal that one as a "child of God" forever. Stop thinking about good works and get right with God as He tells us by His "..beloved Son"---the Lord Jesus, and meditate on John 3; John 14, Romans 8, etc. Keep looking up and trust the Lord Jesus. Don't get occupied with good works!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Don't get occupied with good works!

You're calling it good works, but really, we're talking about obedience to Jesus. In other words, what you're really saying is, "Don't get occupied with obedience to Jesus". It's a weird argument for a Christian to make. It's almost like you call him Lord, but you do not obey him. Hmmm...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Think what you wish, friend. God does NOT call man to first obey rules and ordinances and the mind of God without knowing His "...so great salvation" in Christ. Faith comes first then Godly works. Let us go in peace!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: aiki
Upvote 0

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Faith comes first then Godly works

This isn't what Jesus taught. Jesus said, "If anyone wants to know that I am from God, do what I say". John 7:17

Jesus' teachings are the Holy Spirit (John 6:63). God isn't looking for declarations of faith. He's heard it all before. Jesus said, "This people draw near to me with their lips, but their heart is far from me" (Matthew 15:8) and "why do you call me Lord, but do not obey me" (Luke 6:46).

What God is looking for are people who respond to his spirit. The evidence of that response is demonstrated through their behavior, the choices they make. In other words, faith is demonstrated through our actions just like the scriptures say, "Faith without works is dead" (James 2:17).

It is not a competition between the two. Faith and works are two sides of the same coin; you cannot have one without the other. If you have faith, there will also be works. Without works, there is no faith even IF you do make flowery speeches about faith. That is precisely why Jesus rebuked those people who called him Lord, but would not obey him.

Nearly the entire chapter of Luke 14 is dedicated to the concept of counting the cost of following Jesus. He's not looking for yes-men who sing his praises because they think they'll get some kind of reward for doing so. He's looking for people who think carefully about his teachings, and obey them because they make sense, even if it costs them their lives to do so.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have always believed in God for as long as I could remember, but I don't ever remember having a life changing experience with him:a rapture dream, speaking in tongues, etc. Although I have heard him speak to me a few times and I have felt his presence once. I have repented of sin and have been baptized but I'm not sure if I have the holy spirit. How can I know if I'm truly born again? I am also struggling with being religious instead of spiritual (reading the Bible and praying because I have to, etc). How can I stop being religious and start being spiritual?

The bible tells us that:

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

1Co 12:3 ... and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

You confess Jesus as LORD and your savior. No one can do that without the Holy Spirit, you have the Holy Spirit.

Now as for spirituality, being "spiritual". There is no one size fits all. God is more interested in walking with you at the level you are prepared to give. The more time you spend in prayer the more of the Holy Spirit you will soak in, so you will reflect more "spirituality".

You mentioned that you find prayer a little dry ... it sounds to me like you are wanting to do some natural things ... this is not sin. However it can become a trap for us, if we spend all our time in the natural, and forget the spiritual, we will be drained of our mission and purpose.

Again it comes back to what you desire, and the type of walk you wish to see in your life.

Let me explain the mission things a little more. I have in the past, and in the recent present, experienced some healing of others through prayer in Jesus name, as I have out-reached. I know how to preach (at least I think I do), and I use these gifts at times. Yet I am still bound to the natural life as well, I spend some time playing computer games. This natural part of my life does not stop God working, but it does take time. Let's say I spend 50% of my time in the things of God, and 50% in the natural. God is still getting to work 50% of the time. But 50% of my time is essentially wasted when it comes to kingdom things. The bible encourages us:

Eph 5:16-17 Making good use of the time, because the days are evil. For this reason, then, do not be foolish, but be conscious of the Lord's pleasure.

That scripture essentially tells us, don't waste our time, but spend it getting to know God's will, and carrying it out.

It does not mean that we are forbidden, from any entertainment, or worldly activity. But God's will is for us to be focused on the heavenly, not the earthly.

So the heavenly encouragement would be to spend your time, in God's presence, getting to know his purpose for you.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's still something you have to do. If you didn't have to do anything, then no one would be lost.

Let me see if I can better explain my point. If a man has a cancerous brain tumor and must have it removed in order to continue to live, he must first know he has a tumor, he must believe the diagnosis of a brain tumor, and then he must agree to surgery to have the tumor removed. Of course, he must also put his full trust in the brain surgeon who will remove the tumor. The actual removal of the tumor, however, does not involve the efforts of the tumorous man. He simply lays down on the operating table, and, unconscious, receives the saving work of the surgeon. The man with the tumor can do nothing to save himself from his tumor. He must rely entirely upon the powers of the surgeon to save him. For all of the sick man's choosing to believe he has a tumor and acting to seek its removal, in the end, being saved from his tumor is something the sick man can only receive, not accomplish for himself.

In the same way, no one is freed from the "tumor" of sin except by the power of the Great Physician, Jesus Christ. One must know one is sin-sick and one must agree to the remedy offered by God, but only Christ, the Saviour, can perform the necessary spiritual "surgery" to take away one's "tumor" of sin. The lost sinner can only receive the saving work of Christ, he cannot contribute to it and he cannot earn the salvation and spiritual regeneration he receives as a gift from God.

When a man is healed of a brain tumor, he doesn't go about acting as though he still has the tumor. He doesn't have to pretend after surgery not to have the nose bleeds, headaches, blurred vision, dizziness, clouded thinking and faintness he had when the tumor was still in his head. With the removal of the tumor, these things are gone; the healed man's freedom from the tumor cannot help but show in his living. The important thing to note in this is that the character of the man's living is the consequence of his healing, not the means of it. No man sick with a brain tumor ever healed himself by acting as though he didn't have a tumor and no man sick with sin ever saved himself from his sin by acting like a man who has been saved. Salvation - the second birth - is obtained, not by behaving like a person healed of sin, but by faith in the Saviour.

You left out Ephesians 2:10 which says, "... we are created for Good works that we should 'walk in them'". These verses from Paul that we're not saved by our own goodness is simply a warning not to become proud and boastful. Jesus said much the same thing; Luke 17:10 "So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do."

If Paul's words in Ephesians 2:8-9 are a warning not be boastful of one's salvation, of one's second birth, it is because, as Paul explained in the verses (and in the ones preceding verse 8 and 9), one can do nothing to save oneself. Consider what he wrote at the beginning of the chapter:

Ephesians 2:1-3
1 And you were dead in your trespasses and sins,
2 in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.
3 Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.

How does a lost person who is in this condition, bound under the power of the World, the Flesh and the devil, dead in trespasses and sins, contribute in any way to their salvation? They can't! And so, Paul writes,

Ephesians 2:4-5
4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),

"But God," rich in mercy, saves the lost by His grace. And that grace is expressed in Christ, in whom the lost are made spiritually alive. It is so crucially important that we understand that it is God's grace that saves us, not our works, that Paul repeats this fact again in verse 8. His focus, then, doesn't seem to me to be about our potential struggle with pride so much as it is our realizing our salvation, our spiritual second birth, is a gracious, undeserved - and unearned - gift of God to us.

Luke 17:10 was spoken by Christ to his disciples about the attitude by which they were to serve God. Jesus does NOT say this was an attitude by which they would save themselves.

We have a responsibility to practice the teachings of Jesus but we should not become proud. This is exactly the reason why Jesus said we should keep our praying, fasting, and charity-giving secret. We humans tend to become proud about our own goodness, especially in these three areas. Would we still pray, fast, and give to charity if no one else knew about it? Most of us probably would not. We love talking about such things because it makes us feel we're better than we really are.

I agree. But none of this means that a person contributes to their salvation, to being born-again, any more than someone traveling to the hospital and laying on the operating table has contributed to the removal of a tumor from their brain. No one can say, "My tumor was removed by my going to the hospital!" No, merely going to the hospital does nothing to remove a tumor from one's brain, nor does laying on an operating table. One must be operated on by a brain surgeon in order to have one's brain tumor removed. Only his work, done when one is utterly helpless, can bring freedom from the deadly effects of the tumor.

Jesus, and Paul are simply saying we should not become like this. They aren't saying we have no obligation to obey. That would make no sense.

I'm not saying Christians have no obligation to obey the commands of God, either. Being born-again, though, is not the consequence of one's obedience but, rather, the ground out of which obedience to God arises.

However, it does make sense that people who don't really want to change, but rather only to have the appearance of righteousness, would love arguments against obedience. You can talk like you're a totally spiritual person without needing to do anything. That, in itself, IS the kind of proud, boastful attitude Paul was referring to in Ephesians 2:8-10. You come across as sounding spiritual. You post Bible verses. You talk about God's grace. But it's all for the purpose of arguing against obedience.

I don't know why people claiming to be Christians so often resort to this sort of personal attack. Isn't there some place within you that is convicted of the wrongness of this sort of thing?

You don't know ANYTHING about my life. Not one thing. And yet, you are ready to insinuate that I'm hypocritical and disobedient, regardless. Yikes!

Nowhere have I ever written that a Christian can be spiritual "without needing to do anything." What I HAVE pointed out is that the obedience of a Christian flows out of their being born-again, it doesn't make them born-again. If a person gets this wrong, if they think they must obey in order to be one of God's children, if they believe their good works obtain their salvation, then they live exactly as the Pharisees did, hoping to reach God by dint of their law-keeping. Such an approach to God denies the saving work of Christ, replacing the perfect atonement of Christ with self-effort, and the justification and sanctification of the Saviour (1 Corinthians 1:30) with the impossible burden of perfectly fulfilling the law of God. (Galatians 2:16)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
does not involve the efforts of the tumorous man.

But, the guy with cancer is doing A LOT to make the process happen. He gets tested. He agrees to treatment. He shows up for the appointment. He lays down on the table. He demonstrates his trust for the surgeon. The surgeon doesn't just secretly show up to his house one day and gas him with anesthetic.

The analogy does not make sense in the context of your comments about salvation by works. No one is saying that we can earn salvation, but Jesus made it very clear that he expects obedience from his followers. While obedience does not guarantee salvation, neither is God likely to save stubborn, hard-hearted hypocrites who call him Lord but refuse to act on his teachings.

The original point I made which triggered this series of exchanges was not about salvation, but rather how a person becomes born again. We do that by practicing the teachings of Jesus. Jesus wasn't referring to a ritual where you say a formulaic prayer and get a good feeling in your heart.

He was talking about a complete change of lifestyle. When he called his disciples, they left their jobs and started working for love full time. That seems to be the teaching which most triggered you as you had a lot to say about why Jesus didn't really mean what he said about money. I think that is the heart of this salvation by works argument from you; it's a tool to avoid accountability to the teachings of Jesus.

If anyone asks you how to become a Christian, you will not tell them that there's nothing to do. You will say they need to believe, they need to trust, they need to say a special prayer or perform a special ritual like water baptism, or that they need to repent. Those are all obligations which are required to be Christian.

But, as soon as I started talking about Jesus' teachings on money, suddenly that is "salvation by works" and there's nothing we need to do. It's all very convenient.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
But, the guy with cancer is doing A LOT to make the process happen. He gets tested. He agrees to treatment. He shows up for the appointment. He lays down on the table. He demonstrates his trust for the surgeon. The surgeon doesn't just secretly show up to his house one day and gas him with anesthetic.

The sick man can do all of these things, but if the surgeon does not operate, none of the things the sick man has done will save him from the deadly consequences of his tumor. In the actual work of freeing the sick man from his tumor, the sick man can do nothing except receive the work of the surgeon to save him.

In the same way, actually being saved from the spiritual disease of sin, being born-again, is a work of the Great Physician. No sinner can contribute to this work but is able only to receive it.

No one is saying that we can earn salvation, but Jesus made it very clear that he expects obedience from his followers. While obedience does not guarantee salvation, neither is God likely to save stubborn, hard-hearted hypocrites who call him Lord but refuse to act on his teachings

As I said already, obedience to God is as natural to the genuinely born-again believer as it is natural for the man healed of a brain tumor to live free of the symptoms of his tumor.

A person, then, who does not desire to please God does not truly know Him as heavenly Father.

The original point I made which triggered this series of exchanges was not about salvation, but rather how a person becomes born again.

Salvation and being born-again are synonymous. One cannot be born-again and not be saved and one cannot be saved and not be born-again. This is where the problem I have with your comments rests, I think.

Living a transformed life, the life of a born-again child of God, is, like salvation, also a work of God (Philippians 1:6; Philippians 2:13; 1 Corinthians 1:7-9; 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24; Romans 8:13, etc.) that He performs in the believer who walks with Him in constant, moment-by-moment submission. (Romans 6:13-22; Romans 8:14; Romans 12:1; James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:6)

I think that is the heart of this salvation by works argument from you; it's a tool to avoid accountability to the teachings of Jesus.

Well, again, you are making an assumption here from ignorance. And this rather unpleasant remark ignores what I've written to you thus far in this thread.

But, as soon as I started talking about Jesus' teachings on money, suddenly that is "salvation by works" and there's nothing we need to do. It's all very convenient.

Again, another oblique dig. These personal attacks on me do not put you in a good light, you know. Anyway, see above.

Upvote 0

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Living a transformed life, the life of a born-again child of God, is, like salvation, also a work of God

Can you give an example of what a transformed life looks like in ordinary, day-to-day life?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It is the life described in Scripture. A life in which the Fruit of the Spirit is evident, growing day-by-day. (Galatians 5:22-23) It is a life that hungers after God and so pursues holiness, without which no man can see Him. (Hebrews 12:14) It is a life of joy and rest (Matthew 11:28-30). And so on. But, again, these things are the by-product of being born-again, not the means of being born-again.

Upvote 0

John Helpher

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
It is the life described in Scripture. A life in which the Fruit of the Spirit is evident, growing day-by-day. (Galatians 5:22-23) It is a life that hungers after God and so pursues holiness, without which no man can see Him. (Hebrews 12:14) It is a life of joy and rest (Matthew 11:28-30). And so on. But, again, these things are the by-product of being born-again, not the means of being born-again.

This is a very religious way to explain it, but I'm asking you to say, in your own words, what a normal, every day born again life looks like.

In other words, if you didn't know someone personally, could you tell if they were born again just by watching what they do? And if so, what would that look like. Or would you only know if they said to you, "I'm born again"?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is a very religious way to explain it, but I'm asking you to say, in your own words, what a normal, every day born again life looks like.

Well, my experience looks like what Scripture says it will look like.

In other words, if you didn't know someone personally, could you tell if they were born again just by watching what they do? And if so, what would that look like. Or would you only know if they said to you, "I'm born again"?

Yes, there will be a distinct "Christian" character to the life of a born-again person. It will be evident in their behaviour. They won't, for example, use foul language, or watch dirty movies, or tell filthy jokes. They won't use illicit drugs, or fornicate, or lie, cheat, and steal. They'll know their Bible very well and regularly be telling the lost about their Saviour, Jesus Christ. They will love others self-sacrificially and in a holy, truthful way. And so on. But, again, these things are the fruit of salvation, of the second birth, not the means of it.

Upvote 0