Goodlettsville
✟10,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As with everything else everyone believes differently. For example I don't believe you have to speak in tounges at all. Or that baptism matters. However I do believe if you truly believe in Him in your heart, you are saved. However I also believe you can lose your salvation or at the least "rewards" in heaven. And by that I mean you need to ask yourself have you felt you have made changes in your life since becoming saved.

For example lets say you had a swearing problem before, or maybe an addiction to inappropriate content. Is it gone now? If so you have made changes and you know you are doing well. Of course if you are early in your christianity it may be a work in process. Then again we will forever be a work in process since perfection is impossible.

Most importantly, you asked how do you know if you are born again. If you weren't born again then you wouldn't ask that question. Asking means you truly want to make sure you are doing the right thing. Which shows your heart is in the right place. :)
Thank you! You're advice is very helpful! After looking at the responses that I received, I believe that I am born again! I think that because I was saved at a young age (age 8) I easily doubt my salvation instead of walking in faith.

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your insight! It's very helpful! I believe that I am walking in the spirit but I just tend to feel defeated easily whenever I make mistakes. I believe that I just need to walk in faith and not by feelings. As far as being religious, I tend to follow God or read his word because I know that I'm supposed too. It doesn't seem like it truly flows from the heart.

It is well that your faith is founded on the rock of Christ. Our emotions can take us all over the place and our feelings can betray us. Faith in Christ and Him alone. He is the Cornerstone, the author and finisher of the faith. It is His righteousness that the Father imputes to each of us. Impute is more of an accounting term which means credited with something not earned. He is our savior, our defender. Our faith is in Christ alone. Not in anything else. Not in ourselves else we would all fail. The Holy Spirit works in us to shape us and mold us into the image of Christ. We are His workmanship. Finish well now that you have begun. There is an old Dottie Rambo song that comes to mind, too many sunsets lie behind the mountain, too many rivers my feet have passed through, too many treasures are waiting over yonder, there is too much to gain to lose. God bless and keep you! You are His.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't try and compare your experience with someone else.
Luke 7:47
Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little."

Some people always lived 'good' lives and then came to faith while others lead 'sinful' lives and then came to faith. Someone who had much to forgive tends to love more. Someone who grew up in faith and believes is still saved, but the conversion may have been gentle rather than a big event. A change should still take place, but it may not be as large or as noticeable compared to say someone else who was delivered from drugs or inappropriate contentography or something very visible.

The relationship between you and God is personal, what he gives and calls you do do is personal. Someone else's gifts are not necessarily your gifts.
1 Corinthians
14 For the body does not consist of one member but of many. 15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? 18 But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. 19 If all were a single member, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, yet one body.

21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and on those parts of the body that we think less honourable we bestow the greater honour, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, 24 which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honour to the part that lacked it, 25 that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26 If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honoured, all rejoice together.

27 Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.

Maybe you will never have dreams or speak in tounges or overcome something large, but if you have faith this makes you a member of the body of Christ. One is called to preach and another to do the washing up, but they are no less or greater than each other.

Romans 10:9
If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I would say that I personally haven't seen a dramatic change although at one point I did feel led to read his word more. Even now, I feel like I'm only following him because I'm supposed to not because I actually love him. It seems like I'm trying to save myself instead of trusting in him alone. I also tend to feel like if I stop reading his word or praying and let him take hold of the situation, then I wouldn't be interested in Christianity anymore and that's what worries me.

I'm sorry but I find this to be really sad. I'm praying for you that you'll realize how much Jesus loves you and in return you'll wind up loving Him. For I love Him because He first loved me and made the ultimate sacrifice even though I didn't deserve it in the slightest.

Upvote 0

flowergirl67

May 17, 2020
Goodlettsville
✟10,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry but I find this to be really sad. I'm praying for you that you'll realize how much Jesus loves you and in return you'll wind up loving Him. For I love Him because He first loved me and made the ultimate sacrifice even though I didn't deserve it in the slightest.
Thank you for your prayers! I am still seeking him and hope to build a relationship with him!

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say that I personally haven't seen a dramatic change although at one point I did feel led to read his word more. Even now, I feel like I'm only following him because I'm supposed to not because I actually love him. It seems like I'm trying to save myself instead of trusting in him alone. I also tend to feel like if I stop reading his word or praying and let him take hold of the situation, then I wouldn't be interested in Christianity anymore and that's what worries me.

One needs to be much concerned about salvation, so I recommend one read and pray over John 3; John 10:27; John 14; John 17:3; Romans 8; etc. Salvation of our eternal soul is in making the Lord Jesus our own Savior, Redeemer, Lord of our life, and best Friend ---speaking of a RELATIONSHIP; and not just a belief in our mind. A true believer such will be sealed by the Holy Spirit, and thus assured of Heaven. One might inquire at the sound site: Biblecounsel.net for a more in depth explanation of Redemption. -1watchman

Upvote 0

Grandma J

Following Jesus is never a mistake.
Jul 27, 2020
Midwest
✟15,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
Speaking from experience here:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Grandma J

Jul 27, 2020
Midwest
✟15,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you! You're advice is very helpful! After looking at the responses that I received, I believe that I am born again! I think that because I was saved at a young age (age 8) I easily doubt my salvation instead of walking in faith.
Again, speaking from experience:

There is a massive difference between what so many believe is being a Christian, and actually having a real connection with God for real. It is called being reconciled to God, through Jesus. There is a scripture that says that even the devil and his followers believe Jesus is the Son of God. I mean, they see Him. They are afraid of Him. They hate His power because they KNOW the truth of His existence. See, that of simply believing, as you would your neighbor living next to you, isn't what believing is all about. Just saying the words isn't salvation. A genuine change must take place, but you can't orchestrate that yourself. God is seeking you, or you would not be posting here.

Once you truly find the real TRUTH, HE will change you. He will teach you how to believe in and on Him, via the Holy Spirit. The word, believe means to cling to Him, adhere to His teachings, and depend on Him, every moment in your life for your righteousness. Your righteousness is nothing, but Jesus' sacrifice for you is EVERYTHING. You cannot generate belief, just by deciding to do so. The moment when you repent of sin - that of turning away from it - is when God tears the veil from your spiritual eyes and shows you the truth of Himself, of Christ, of all things God. When that connecting to Him is made, you begin to change, little by little, moment by moment, until it is suddenly apparent to you that you ARE a new creature. You will say to others that the person you knew before is not the one you know yourself to be now. You won't recognize that old self because the life Jesus has given you changes you in ways you never could make happen, on your own. You will know you are following after Him when you feel a deep driving passion to seek God as if your very life depends on it. It truly does. When that passion becomes so overwhelming that you have to know Him, you will pursue Him as if there is no other goal more important. There isn't. It is then that all the things that feel so empty and pointless to you now will fade, and the real life with Christ will begin. There is nothing like it, in comparison to living religiously just because you are "supposed to".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As a kid of age 7, my mom began to take my sisters and I to church. Sunday School teachers taught us about all the stories in the Bible and about who God is, who Jesus is, and all the things churches of long ago taught. I was "saved" at age 12, baptized in the Holy Spirit at 16, and baptized in water not just once but twice, in my life. I am now 70 years old, living through a pandemic with the rest of the world. But I am at peace in the midst of this horrendous storm. There is, incredibly, no fear in me.

I can tell you this, dear one. I challenged God to prove Himself to me, for real, in my mid-40's or I was going to walk away from everything I was taught, up to that point. I was going to just toss it all; the weekly church habit, the "christian-ese", the phrases, the fake faces acting like they cared about me, ALL the religious garbage ... that had become nothing to me. But one thing remained: I wanted to know God. I HAD to know for sure IF He existed. I desperately needed to know how to cope with the destroyed life I had lived, a life that was tearing me apart. I had caused so much heartache to myself, and to my children, from the stupid choices I had made. Divorced three times, and having left a 7 year long relationship with yet another man, I was broken...

...and so, I angrily challenged God, demanded that He let me know him, for real, or leave me alone forever. And then I cried, sobs so deep that I choked on my own saliva at times. Thank God! At that very moment, a dramatic change took place within me. It was like a light was shining inside me, and I HAD to find my Bible. But I had to work all day, far from home, before I could even get to it. The story of my life from that point on, even as I recall it now, is incredible to me, more than 25 years later.

That moment changed my life! The difficulties AND the miracles, the joys I experienced for the first time, actually knowing Him as God's daughter, were worth everything! Even the years prior to that moment were worth all of the pain - because it drove me to the point where I challenged God to prove Himself to me. My story is filled with incredible things that defy belief - unless you know the ONE, true God. Only God can teach us who He is, and He does so via His Holy Spirit. That Bible reading you're doing is empty because you haven't come to this point in your life yet. But if you get to that point where I found myself, that Bible will take on a life you never dreamed of. It's your link to HIM, when you're ready to see. I now understand what it means to "devour" the Word, because I did it.

I will tell you the rest of this story, if you want to hear it.

So very true, and many of us have a similar history to tell, though might vary some. I always want to emphasize to seekers that belief as God shows in His Word is about a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus, the Christ of God; and not just a belief. God says: "devils also believe and tremble" (and we well know there will be no devils in Heaven. Seekers need to know that the relationship goes beyond just believing about God (John 14 can show this).

Reactions: Grandma J
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I will try to keep posts short(er), so will do them in segments.

FIRST THINGS:
I am a writer, by profession, as of only about eight years ago. God did that (one of His incredible miracles, here). He built all the skills within me, from childhood to my 70 years, for just this time in my life. My one and only purpose is to reach those who are fed up with playing church and want to find God, for real, at the near end of this age. It is His purpose in making me and I am at peace about that. Therefore, my posts are to do what He has built me to do - to help those who are desperate to know God, to find Jesus, to know the TRUTH about why we are on this planet. HE showed me these things through the teaching of the Holy Spirit, as I consumed the Word over a six month period. I was like a kid who has had only one piece of cake her entire life, then is turned loose in a cake shop and told she can eat as much cake as she wants (I personally love cake). He showed me His Truth because I craved it. He showed me because I was desperate to know Him - or I was done.

I will continue my story for you in the next post so this doesn't come off as too long to read.

Okay,.. but who doesn't like cake? ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

flowergirl67

May 17, 2020
Goodlettsville
✟10,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

As a kid of age 7, my mom began to take my sisters and I to church. Sunday School teachers taught us about all the stories in the Bible and about who God is, who Jesus is, and all the things churches of long ago taught. I was "saved" at age 12, baptized in the Holy Spirit at 16, and baptized in water not just once but twice, in my life. I am now 70 years old, living through a pandemic with the rest of the world. But I am at peace in the midst of this horrendous storm. There is, incredibly, no fear in me.

I can tell you this, dear one. I challenged God to prove Himself to me, for real, in my mid-40's or I was going to walk away from everything I was taught, up to that point. I was going to just toss it all; the weekly church habit, the "christian-ese", the phrases, the fake faces acting like they cared about me, ALL the religious garbage ... that had become nothing to me. But one thing remained: I wanted to know God. I HAD to know for sure IF He existed. I desperately needed to know how to cope with the destroyed life I had lived, a life that was tearing me apart. I had caused so much heartache to myself, and to my children, from the stupid choices I had made. Divorced three times, and having left a 7 year long relationship with yet another man, I was broken...

...and so, I angrily challenged God, demanded that He let me know him, for real, or leave me alone forever. And then I cried, sobs so deep that I choked on my own saliva at times. Thank God! At that very moment, a dramatic change took place within me. It was like a light was shining inside me, and I HAD to find my Bible. But I had to work all day, far from home, before I could even get to it. The story of my life from that point on, even as I recall it now, is incredible to me, more than 25 years later.

That moment changed my life! The difficulties AND the miracles, the joys I experienced for the first time, actually knowing Him as God's daughter, were worth everything! Even the years prior to that moment were worth all of the pain - because it drove me to the point where I challenged God to prove Himself to me. My story is filled with incredible things that defy belief - unless you know the ONE, true God. Only God can teach us who He is, and He does so via His Holy Spirit. That Bible reading you're doing is empty because you haven't come to this point in your life yet. But if you get to that point where I found myself, that Bible will take on a life you never dreamed of. It's your link to HIM, when you're ready to see. I now understand what it means to "devour" the Word, because I did it.

I will tell you the rest of this story, if you want to hear it.
I would absolutely love to hear the rest! It's been a blessing so far!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
By the way, I don't get paid to write. It's all volunteer, for this very reason, in a tiny little newsletter for a tiny little village in Ohio.

I'm not going to tell you exactly where I'm from, but I'm an Ohioan myself. :D

With that said, I must take a break. If anyone wants to hear what my story is about, let me know. Should I create my own space for those who want to read my posts, or just keep going here?

Whatever you want to do is fine with me. :)

Upvote 0

Grandma J

Jul 27, 2020
Midwest
✟15,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not going to tell you exactly where I'm from, but I'm an Ohioan myself. :D

Whatever you want to do is fine with me. :)
It's okay not to say where you're from. Not a good idea, anyway, online when we can avoid it. Crazy days we are living in, don't you think?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Grandma J

Jul 27, 2020
Midwest
✟15,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
There are two events which make a person a Born Again Believer in Christ.

Mark 16:16
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved;

1) The Non Believing person Must Believe, Jesus is the Sacrifice for their sins, at which point, they will be Forgiven.

2) The now Believer Must become Baptized, in order to receive the Holy Spirit into their Being.

Gal. 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

The website, Gotquestions.org explains it well:

"Jesus said, “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them” (John 6:44). In other words, the only way we can seek God is if the Holy Spirit has first stirred our hearts with a desire for God."
From Bible Gateway, the passage, I Corinthians 12:3 says,
"Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit."

Last edited:
Upvote 0