How Can Abortion Be Biblically Defended?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I want to keep this centered around biblical truths in order to explain to me why pro-choice Christians are not disregarding the Word of God.

God's word explains that local laws are under God's direction.
If local laws do not say that abortion is murder, then it is not murder.

John 19:10-11
Daniel 2:21
2 Chronicles 7:14

Exodus 18:21
Romans 8:28
1 Corinthians 14:40

Deuteronomy 1:13
Romans 12:21
Romans 13:2
Romans 13:6-7

Proverbs 20:2
Proverbs 20:8
Proverbs 20:26

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
God's word explains that local laws are under God's direction.
Local laws say that I may become drunk so long as I'm at my home, does it mean that it's not wrong for me to become drunk at home?

It sounds like you're saying that the local law actually determines what actions are moral or immoral, not Scripture... which anyone with half a brain would recognize as absurd.

Reactions: Ttalkkugjil
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Local laws say that I may become drunk so long as I'm at my home, does it mean that it's not wrong for me to become drunk at home?

It sounds like you're saying that the local law actually determines what actions are moral or immoral, not Scripture... which anyone with half a brain would recognize as absurd.

Please refer to scripture for rebuttals. Engage both halves.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Please refer to scripture for rebuttals. Engage both halves.
Please respond to appropriate questions to a theological position you're asserting as true. I'm not arguing for anything, I'm presenting realistic questions to theology that you're representing to other Believers as true. It matters.

You're asserting that: God's word explains that local laws are under God's direction.

This then begs the following question for clarification:Local laws say that I may become drunk so long as I'm at my home, does it mean that it's not wrong for me to become drunk at home?

It sounds like you're saying that the local law actually determines what actions are moral or immoral, not Scripture. Is this true?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please respond to appropriate questions to a theological position you're asserting as true. I'm not arguing for anything, I'm presenting realistic questions to theology that you're representing to other Believers as true. It matters.

You're asserting that: God's word explains that local laws are under God's direction.

This then begs the following question for clarification:Local laws say that I may become drunk so long as I'm at my home, does it mean that it's not wrong for me to become drunk at home?

It sounds like you're saying that the local law actually determines what actions are moral or immoral, not Scripture. Is this true?
Please refer to scripture as requested in the opening post.

Matthew 7:12
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you,
do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

1 Corinthians 15:33
Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”

2 Timothy 2:15
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

1 Peter 2:11-12
Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul. Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'd certainly have to agree to that. When at home in the summer, when working around the house, I have had more than one beer per hour and a half. More than that likely raises my alcohol above the legal limit. So when out to dinner with my wife, I have no more than one drink in that time span in order to remain legally sober to drive home.

And that is the same courtesy I'd ask of other drivers on the road. I expect them to remain sober enough to drive in public safely.

And I don't wish for others to limit my consuming of wine in my house
so
I would not do that to others. Morally, they may drink at home as long as they don't drive. Morally, I decide to drink wine at home or not and how much. And if I make my own wine from apple trees on my property, or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
... how can a Christian hold true to the Word of God and support abortion at the same time?

27 And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. 28 And we know that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose.

We learn here that God is responsible for the actions of everyone, and the actions of everyone are for the benefit of the Faithful.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
27 And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. 28 And we know that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose.

We learn here that God is responsible for the actions of everyone, and the actions of everyone are for the benefit of the Faithful.
What does that say about the rapist who impregnated the young girl who is now seeking an abortion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 20:2
2 The terror of a king is like the roar of a lion; whoever provokes him forfeits his own life.

This passage says that if abortion is legal, the faithful should not try to stop them.
The thing about Proverbs is that they are words of wisdom, that if followed, will generally bring the outcome that is mentioned. However, they don't necessarily guarantee that the outcome will happen or should happen. For example, if we were to apply your understanding to this passage to Daniel, he would have been wrong to violate the law of the king which prohibited worship to the king alone. Furthermore, shadrach, Meshach, and Abendigo would have been wrong not to bow to the golden image and deserved to be thrown into the fiery furnace. The way that I understand the passage, it doesn't say "if abortion is legal, the faithful should not try to stop them." Rather, it is saying not to provoke those in authority unless you are willing to endure the consequences. When a wicked king, or any other authority, establishes a law which violates God's Law, we should not obey them with the understanding that we may have to endure terrible consequences as a result of our faithfulness to God. This is what happened with Daniel. He knew what the King's law said, he did not obey the law in favor of obedience to God knowing that it could bring death. However, when did not argue or appeal when he was thrown in the lion's den. In conclusion, if this is a passage used to support abortion, it is used out of context and is a stretch at best.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 7:12
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you,
do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
Death penalty for abortion? Abortion is killing an unborn baby so are we then obligated to kill mothers for the murder of their unborn child? "You shall not murder." (Exodus 20:13)

1 Corinthians 15:33
Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”
I don't understand how this relates to the topic of abortion. Please clarify.

2 Timothy 2:15
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.
1. The passage in context is talking about the things we teach and say to others and has nothing to do with abortion.
2. 1 Timothy 2:11-15 says:
"A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
And whose temple is the body of the unborn child? Second, the passage is referring to sexual immorality. Many of the unwanted pregnancies that lead to abortion would be prevented if this passage was followed.

1 Peter 2:11-12
Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul. Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.

"13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. 15 For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people. 16 Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves. 17 Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor." 1 Peter 2:13-17

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Death penalty for abortion? Abortion is killing an unborn baby so are we then obligated to kill mothers for the murder of their unborn child? "You shall not murder." (Exodus 20:13)

Under grace we do not live by the written laws of God.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2. 1 Timothy 2:11-15 says:
"A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

Yes but your application is malarkey. You can't treat others as you would wish for them to treat you, and then treat them with different rights. So your application is malarkey.

But to give Paul credit...for a minute...local laws may have required certain things of women, and indeed, local law comes first. Following Biblical requirements that people be treated equally as oneself, comes second.

You can't hope for participation in society if you don't follow local laws first.
A kingdom divided will not stand.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Under grace we do not live by the written laws of God.
What exactly are you suggesting? Are we not to follow Matthew 7:12 that you referenced by executing women who murder their unborn child? Or that we should ignore Exodus 20:13? This is the conundrum with Christians who support abortion. They have yet to demonstrate a biblical way to justify abortion without ignoring or contradicting other passages.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes but your application is malarkey. You can't treat others as you would wish for them to treat you, and then treat them with different rights. So your application is malarkey.
I did not provide any application. What application are you inferring to 1 Timothy 2:11-15?

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But to give Paul credit...for a minute...local laws may have required certain things of women, and indeed, local law comes first. Following Biblical requirements that people be treated equally as oneself, comes second.

You can't hope for participation in society if you don't follow local laws first.
A kingdom divided will not stand.
Just so I understand clearly. You are saying we ought to set the laws of men above the laws of God?

"The apostles were brought in and made to appear before the Sanhedrin to be questioned by the high priest. 'We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name,' he said. 'Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us guilty of this man’s blood.'

Peter and the other apostles replied: 'We must obey God rather than human beings! The God of our ancestors raised Jesus from the dead—whom you killed by hanging him on a cross. God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Savior that he might bring Israel to repentance and forgive their sins. We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.'” (Acts 5:27-32)

Conclusion: Christians are to obey human law except where that human law violates God's Law. Our supreme duty is to obey God. Since God tells us to also obey human laws, we should. But, when they come in conflict, we are to "obey God rather than men."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Fornication can't be biblically defended, either, but the laws of men still allow it.
Correct. Fornication cannot be biblically defended because it is clearly unbiblical. Thus, should abstain from it regardless of its legality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the OP I asked, "How can a Christian hold true to the Word of God and support abortion at the same time?" I have to admit, I am still convinced that abortion cannot stand up to the scrutiny of the Word of God. Therefore, I still have no choice but to believe that abortion cannot be biblically defended and a Christian cannot remain faithful to the Word of God and support abortion at the same time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0