How Can Abortion Be Biblically Defended?

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Why parrot a position that you don’t endorse, haven’t studied, or apparently know anything about?

There’s nothing analogous about God Himself breathing life into a fully developed human being that He Himself created and a new human coming into existence VIA fertilization.
I was answering the question posed by the OP. Why be combative toward those trying to help?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First, I am unequivocally pro-life, not only including abortion and euthanasia but also capital punishment, war, immigration and social issues. I try to view every issue through the lens of life being sacred.

That said, the one passage that I hear bandied about the most that would answer the question in the OP is Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

The point being, it's at first breath that one becomes a living soul.
I have heard something similar to that myself. One Christian told me that abortion isn't wrong because "Birth has to come before death". In other words, it isn't considered killing if the baby was never born. Of course I sharply corrected him by saying that "Life has to come before death. The problem is you don't value the life in the womb. Which is why you don't consider it murder." That ended the argument fast because scripture clearly says that life in the womb is precious. As a result, there is no other biblical way to look at abortion other than the murder of innocent life in the womb. Why so many Christians support this murder is beyond me.

Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will get some pushback on this, but there are very, very few things that will put a woman's life at risk by carrying a child. There are things that may require managment, and perhaps a C-Section at time of delivery.

Is this the case even for a child seven or eight years old?

I believe even in the hypothetical situation where a young child's has been impregnanted and their life is at risk, abortion is still murder of the fetus. Personally the scenario where a young child's life is at risk this is the most difficult situation I have thought of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have heard something similar to that myself. One Christian told me that abortion isn't wrong because "Birth has to come before death". In other words, it isn't considered killing if the baby was never born. Of course I sharply corrected him by saying that "Life has to come before death. The problem is you don't value the life in the womb. Which is why you don't consider it murder." That ended the argument fast because scripture clearly says that life in the womb is precious. As a result, there is no other biblical way to look at abortion other than the murder of innocent life in the womb. Why so many Christians support this murder is beyond me.
As info, the Didache (aka The Teaching of the Apostles) from the late first century/early second century, usually dated around AD 96 which is one of the oldest extra-Biblical writings of the early church teaches against abortion unambiguously.
"Thou shalt do no murder; thou shalt not commit adultery"; thou shalt not commit sodomy; thou shalt not commit fornication; thou shalt not steal; thou shalt not use magic; thou shalt not use philtres; thou shalt not procure abortion, nor commit infanticide; "thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Is this the case even for a child seven or eight years old?

I believe even in the hypothetical situation where a young child's has been impregnanted and their life is at risk, abortion is still murder of the fetus. Personally the scenario where a young child's life is at risk this is the most difficult situation I have thought of.

Most seven, or, right year olds cannot get pregnant, the youngest I have seen was 12

Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most seven, or, right year olds cannot get pregnant, the youngest I have seen was 12

I guess so, but I have read of children of that age tragically having become impregnated.

So hypothetically, if a child gets pregnant, does that or does that not mean that their body is in theory physically ready for pregnancy (as tragic as that would be)?

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I guess so, but I have read of children of that age tragically having become impregnated.

So hypothetically, if a child gets pregnant, does that or does that not mean that their body is in theory physically ready for pregnancy (as tragic as that would be)?
I think in a situation like this, the right thing is for the doctor to view both the mother and the unborn equally as his patients. You monitor the pregnancy, and make the best decisions possible to preserve the lives of both. However, there are medical instances in which keeping both alive is not possible.

These scenarios are different than the 98.5% of abortions which are committed for convenience reasons.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Treat pregnant women with the same respect as you'd want pregnant women to treat you.
Treat the unborn with the same respect as you’d want others to treat you.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Treat pregnant women with the same respect as you'd want pregnant women to treat you.
So I will respectfully tell them that abortion is the wicked slaughter of innocent life and there is absolutely no biblical justification for it.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think that is the case. I have not seen any biblical support for abortions ever being presented on this forum or anywhere else for that matter.

God controls which baby's are born, or are not. People are not in control.

14 Keep this commandment without stain or reproach until the appearance of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 which God will bring about in His own time— He who is blessed and the onlySovereign One, the King of kings and Lord of lords.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Abortion can in no way be rightly biblically defended. Abortion is murder.

Abortion law in in God's hands.

1 First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. 3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Abortions are legal.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I will respectfully tell them that abortion is the wicked slaughter of innocent life and there is absolutely no biblical justification for it.

No you won't. You are sitting at home. Not checking which teen girls are missing their period. Are you checking the menstruation cycles of all the girls in your .....on your block even? I'm guessing you're not checking any. By your words, you should be monitoring every girl over 12.

Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

1 First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. 3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Abortions are legal.

Are you implying that abortion is OK? If so, respectfully, where does the Bible imply that abortion is OK, and how have you come to this conclusion (and under which circumstances do you believe it may be okay)?

Since fornication (and even prostitution in some places), homosexuality, adultery, drunkenness, lying, greed et cetera is legal in many places, does that make it okay (I will admit that I have lied in the past and have been (and sometimes still am) greedy, and have committed and unfortunately probably still do commit many other sins, but that doesn't make it okay)? Or do you believe that abortion is somehow okay and can be justified according to the Bible?

I believe God is sovereign over all things. Fornication is legal in many places. In some places in the world even prostitution under certain circumstances is legal. Does God allowing the tragic and reprehensible act of prostitution to happen when it is legally allowed make prostitution okay? Why would the fact that abortion is legally allowed in the particular country one lives in make it right for one to perform or obtain an abortion, and where does the Bible imply that abortion is justifiable in any way?

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

Abortions are legal.

What, if anything, does the Scripture you posted have to do with the abortion debate?

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Abortions are legal.
After reading a number of things you've said over the years, I wonder, if abortion was actually made illegal, would you then see it as wrong to have an abortion?

You do afterall seem to believe that the law actually determines what is right and wrong (though of course we know it doesn't).

• Haha
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no biblical justification for abortion.

3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but bad. Do you want to be unafraid of the one in authority? Then do what is right, and you will have his approval. 4 For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not carry the sword in vain. He is God’s servant, an agent of retribution to the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to authority, not only to avoid punishment, but also as a matter of conscience.

Upvote 0