How can a Chinese Christian explain to nonbelievers, Christianity is not just a superstition?

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Acts 13, mentions the word of the Lord spreading throughout the region.
And that those people God appointed to eternal life believed the message. This is because God opens their heart to what is being preached, and then they believe.

42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath. 43 Now when the congregation had broken up, many of the Jews and devout proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.

44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God. 45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy; and contradicting and blaspheming, they opposed the things spoken by Paul. 46 Then Paul and Barnabas grew bold and said, “It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you first; but since you reject it, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles. 47 For so the Lord has commanded us:

‘I have set you as a light to the Gentiles,
That you should be for salvation to the ends of the earth.’ ”

48 Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.

49 And the word of the Lord was being spread throughout all the region.

There is no human derived formula or scheme to make believers. But wherever the gospel is preached, I believe there are some people who will believe, if not immdeiately, then eventually. The gospel is GOOD NEWS to men in every nation.
I believe we need to provide the opportunity to people of their own free will to accept or reject God's pure charity, but I do not make them.

• Agree
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sir Isaac Newton is famous for his physics equations. He was also a devoted Christian.

Louis Pasteur discovered heat sanitizes things. He learned to pasteurize milk to prevent the spread of small pox by infected milk maids. He also invented immunology developing the first vaccine. He was a Christian.

I used to get Guideposts magazine with testimonies by Christians about God’s salvation. These written testimonies were useful. I also heard testimonies by people who had been helped by God. When I was young people were talking about having a personal relationship with Christ. I did not know what it meant until I studied Christ’s teachings and tried to apply them.
Good for you, you have been blessed.

• Agree
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The problem of secular education is that they have the false perception to think that they know the future. So the first thing is future is beyond humans' reach. Second what could possibly happen after our physical death is unknown to humans. It's beyond the reach of our science.

So humans have to make a choice out of the 2 options. With secular education one tends to assume that our life ends with the physical death. This is the application of the fallacy "absence of evidence being the evidence of absence". It's actually a double fallacy. People try to equate this to the encounter of red unicorns. It's pretty safe to assume the absence of unicorns due to the lack of valid human encounters. However this doesn't apply to physical death. Unlike meeting the unicorns, everyone has to encounter death, "no evidence" simply because whoever encountered (which is each and every single human) death cannot come back to tell the still living what's lying ahead.

The 2 options are either to assume that nothing happens or something happens (this is thus a explicit religion). The significance of a religion is to provide an explanation of after life or after death. Assuming nothing happens (worse) is actually a belief of faith but without one's own awareness.

Now if it's true that something is lying after death, then how can humans know? Humans can't possibly know. We know only when a God exists that He knows then He let humans know in a way. In what way, either He tells us directly, or by means of human witnessing. The Christianity God has a covenant with humans that humans need to be saved by faith. Thus He can't show up to tell humans. All left is for God to convey this truth by means of human witnessing.

What is human witnessing? Chinese should understand human witnessing is the same process of how history is written. The difference between history and Christianity is that history is the recording of human activities delivered ultimately from eyewitness accounts. Christianity is the recording of God's deeds from the supposed eyewitness accounts (from God's dedicated prophets).

We can assume that nothing happens, thus we don't need to worry about what lying ahead (heaven or hell). But if we assume that there is still truth lying beyond our physical life, the only way to reach this piece of truth is by believing with faith. In the end, both assumptions are faith based, with one based on human accounts of testimonies and the other based on the fallacy that the absence of evidence being the evidence of absence.
OK

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lots of people in China have crosses and even Bibles, but use them as good luck charms and they are not Christians.

Their friends have not been given logical support showing Christianity is a superstition, but have not heard any support to show Christianity is not a superstition.

They engage in superstitious practices by using crosses and Bibles as good luck charms, and then turn around and say that Christianity is a superstition?

Are they not the ones turning Christianity into a superstition?

Remember, Paul and Apollos were almost worshipped by people who treated Christianity in this way. So perhaps the answer could be found in Paul's response to them.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And the Spirit of God will need to work through them for them to hear anything you to say, regardless of how good your arguments are.

No one will be argued into the kingdom of heaven.
Again, it is a matter of faith (trust) in a benevolent Creator which any mature adult can take the natural trust (faith) God gave us all and direct it toward God to the point of being willing to humbly accept God's pure charity.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Duh, uh, yeah. It is a part of the fallen human nature. However, since he clarified he was dealing with communist Chinese, it is obvious he is fighting marxist propaganda which called religion the opiate of the masses.
yes

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They engage in superstitious practices by using crosses and Bibles as good luck charms, and then turn around and say that Christianity is a superstition?

Are they not the ones turning Christianity into a superstition?

Remember, Paul and Apollos were almost worshipped by people who treated Christianity in this way. So perhaps the answer could be found in Paul's response to them.
OK

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Again, it is a matter of faith (trust) in a benevolent Creator which any mature adult can take the natural trust (faith) God gave us all and direct it toward God to the point of being willing to humbly accept God's pure charity.
Do you believe the Holy Spirit Resides in every single person?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To everyone on this thread, here is as far as I have gotten for those Chinese who become Christians:

Being superstitious is often the result of fear of the unknown, while Christianity is based on Love.

Christianity is different than all other religions in that: Other religions including Judaism list out what we must do to obtain something good in this life, while Christianity and the NT tell us what God has done for us and all we have to do is accept it. The good we do is out of a gratitude type of Love.

They can also talk about how Christianity does not necessarily improve the situation, but provides a way for the Christian to be at peace, happy/blessed and live in the situation. (We can pray for change like Paul prayed to have the thorn in his flesh removed, but it was best for him that it remains.)

Also, the situation a Christian finds him/herself in is not the result of the bad they have done, but the good they can do.

Everything in Christianity is centered on Loving God and others, which does not require good luck.

As far as God’s “protection”, Christians have: 1 Cor.13:10 …God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

If anyone has another one-liner, please add to this or comment on the ones listed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I asked in my last thread about Christians being superstitious and got lots of answers about some Christians being superstitious. That was not what I was needing.

I teach open minded highly interested non-Christian Chinese college students, who will most likely return to Communist China, Bible Lessons each week. They along with all their friends and family have been taught: “All religions are just superstitions”, but they are not buying into that, but how can they simply explain to their friends, the difference between a superstition and Christianity. Lots of people in China have crosses and even Bibles, but use them as good luck charms and they are not Christians.

Their friends have not been given logical support showing Christianity is a superstition, but have not heard any support to show Christianity is not a superstition.

What I am looking for is some one-minute thought provoking statement or question my students, who will become Christians, can give to their friend back in China that will open a dialog on Christianity.

Try this

ancient chinese symbols christian history - Bing images

it includes boat = vessel 8 people
To Create = speak dust, walk, life,

Not sure what you are presenting?

Did you look at the ancient chinese words in that link? They point to the Bible

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2a/37/87/2a3787cba7de1ee15b9bd36fff8cb5c1.gif

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
They know almost nothing about Christianity, so they cannot defend their belief?

Well, there are plenty of great resources available to remedy this state of affairs.

www.reasonablefaith.org
www.crossexamined.org
www.str.org

At the very least, a person who claims to be a born-again believer should be able to point to their own experience of God as evidence of the reality of their relationship with Him. If God's Spirit is within a person, He convicts them of sin, illuminates their minds to divine truth, strengthens them in times of trial and temptation, comforts in moments of distress, and provides materially for their needs. A believer who can describe such an experience of God is clearly not merely superstitious.

Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"How can a Chinese Christian explain to nonbelievers, Christianity is not just a superstition?"

By telling them, "It's not a superstition". :D

What is a superstition though? I mean, it varies from person to person what that really is. I remember a guy I know who taught in Korea for a short while, and there he remembers an atheist chartered accountant absolutely shocked that he slept at night with his fan on, because the guy was convinced that if you do so you will die.

I think some people use crosses and that sort of thing in faith, and others do it in superstition. What a superstition is is something that I'd want to discuss and then it would be easy, once you have a definition from the group, to show why Christianity isn't that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How will you go about giving them the Holy Spirit or putting the Spirit in them?
Come on now, God does that when He gifts them virtually everything.
I do nothing and they do nothing, except wimp out, give up and surrender to their enemy while God is still their enemy. A nonbelieving sinner can for selfish reasons humbly accept God's pure charity.

• Agree
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, there are plenty of great resources available to remedy this state of affairs.

www.reasonablefaith.org
www.crossexamined.org
www.str.org

At the very least, a person who claims to be a born-again believer should be able to point to their own experience of God as evidence of the reality of their relationship with Him. If God's Spirit is within a person, He convicts them of sin, illuminates their minds to divine truth, strengthens them in times of trial and temptation, comforts in moments of distress, and provides materially for their needs. A believer who can describe such an experience of God is clearly not merely superstitious.
Yes very good and I agree a personal witness is good any time, but their going from bad to good might not seem to His/her friends that they were that bad (since the friends are the same bad).

• Useful
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"How can a Chinese Christian explain to nonbelievers, Christianity is not just a superstition?"

By telling them, "It's not a superstition". :D

What is a superstition though? I mean, it varies from person to person what that really is. I remember a guy I know who taught in Korea for a short while, and there he remembers an atheist chartered accountant absolutely shocked that he slept at night with his fan on, because the guy was convinced that if you do so you will die.

I think some people use crosses and that sort of thing in faith, and others do it in superstition. What a superstition is is something that I'd want to discuss and then it would be easy, once you have a definition from the group, to show why Christianity isn't that.
They really do not know, but do have an idea of what a superstitious person is like.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist" by Frank Turek and Norm Geisler contains some good arguments. My main issue with that book is it is too aggressive in tone, it makes some claims that seem like real leaps, but they make sense the more you think about them. It should be slowly digested and made one's own when talking to people about our faith rather than just yanking arguments out of it. But one digested, its arguments are valuable, I had not considered some of them before.

• Informative
Upvote 0