How can a Chinese Christian explain to nonbelievers, Christianity is not just a superstition?

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I asked in my last thread about Christians being superstitious and got lots of answers about some Christians being superstitious. That was not what I was needing.

I teach open minded highly interested non-Christian Chinese college students, who will most likely return to Communist China, Bible Lessons each week. They along with all their friends and family have been taught: “All religions are just superstitions”, but they are not buying into that, but how can they simply explain to their friends, the difference between a superstition and Christianity. Lots of people in China have crosses and even Bibles, but use them as good luck charms and they are not Christians.

Their friends have not been given logical support showing Christianity is a superstition, but have not heard any support to show Christianity is not a superstition.

What I am looking for is some one-minute thought provoking statement or question my students, who will become Christians, can give to their friend back in China that will open a dialog on Christianity.
Sorry for the wordy answer above!

It's Mark chapter 4 where Christ tells us the essential way it all works, for faith. The Seed grows when the one spreading it cannot see and does not know.

Paul echoes usefully in Romans chapter 10, verse 17 (or 8-17).

I recently heard an amazing story relating to this where a missionary to a isolated region thought he had accomplished nothing in the end, zero, and passed away. And much later in time, new missionaries came, and discovered to their total surprise a church created entirely by the native tribe there without any outside help.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry for the wordy answer above!

It's Mark chapter 4 where Christ tells us the essential way it all works, for faith. The Seed grows when the one spreading it cannot see and does not know.

Paul echoes usefully in Romans chapter 10, verse 17 (or 8-17).

I recently heard an amazing story relating to this where a missionary to a isolated region thought he had accomplished nothing in the end, zero, and passed away. And much later in time, new missionaries came, and discovered to their total surprise a church created entirely by the native tribe there without any outside help.
I believe that.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I asked in my last thread about Christians being superstitious and got lots of answers about some Christians being superstitious. That was not what I was needing.

I teach open minded highly interested non-Christian Chinese college students, who will most likely return to Communist China, Bible Lessons each week. They along with all their friends and family have been taught: “All religions are just superstitions”, but they are not buying into that, but how can they simply explain to their friends, the difference between a superstition and Christianity. Lots of people in China have crosses and even Bibles, but use them as good luck charms and they are not Christians.

Their friends have not been given logical support showing Christianity is a superstition, but have not heard any support to show Christianity is not a superstition.

What I am looking for is some one-minute thought provoking statement or question my students, who will become Christians, can give to their friend back in China that will open a dialog on Christianity.
My statement in the last thread was "superstition is deep in Chinese culture". So, I know that does not help but if bibles are used as good luck charms then the problem is entrenched in tradition and not easily removed by human power, only the power of the Holy Spirit. The best thing to do is NOT debate the issue of superstition in Christianity or other religions but approach superstition in good luck charms, numbers, colors, days,where your furniture should go, where mirrors can not be etc, etc. etc. A charm has no power, the Holy Spirit does. Where is the power? In God's Spirit that dwells in us.
Blessings

Last edited:
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God is personal with every one of us.

But a superstition often is a general idea with no individual consideration; it is dictating what has to be done during certain specific circumstances. But God is creative and personal with each of us, not dealing with us always in some one-size-fits-all way.

A superstition often is used to get us to be concerned about some thing, and it dictates what we have to do. It can have us mainly worried about our own selves, so that we do what the superstition dictates.

But Christianity is about first pleasing God. And we are not being threatened to do certain sets things in certain set ways. And we are not first about getting what we would like for our own selves.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We talked about that and the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Hi bling,

Well, these people may not be ready, or may never be. We do need to consider that when Jesus, the Son of the living God that Israel claimed to believe in got to the day of the cross, the evidence shows that although he and his disciples had spent some 3 years criss-crossing all of Isreal, there were very few who believed in him. The picture we are given is that the great crowd assembled before Pilate cried out for Barabbas. Except for maybe a few Roman centurions, that great crowd was Jewish.

We also need to remember that Jesus' own words were that few there be that find the way to eternal life. The Scriptures even paint a picture that a lot of christians are going to be turned back also. So, keep up in prayer and always seeking the Holy Spirit to be with you when you share God's word with them, but be careful that you don't let a small harvest disappoint and discourage you.

God is real and God is good. For the born again believer all that we know about God comes to us through the Jewish Scriptures. That's why still today, Israel is known as God's people. God has rebuked them and disciplined them, but God has never wholly turned aside from being their God. Similarly, we do need to understand that sharing the gospel is not always successful, and many times bears fruit at some later date. You are planting and someone else may come along and water, but it is God that makes our faith grow.

When you say that you talked about that, how deep did you go? Did you cover the prophecy that God gave to Daniel? Did you cover the prophecy given to Hezekiah? There are some prophecies that are much more forceful than others, and often times more specific so that someone doesn't say, "Well, that may or may not be a prophecy in how it was fulfilled". I've often found the prophecy of Daniel to be a powerful prophecy and it is very specific in even mentioning that it is regarding the Messiah.

I've told people before of the prophecy that the virgin shall be with child, and sometimes the response to me is, "Oh, in those days in Israel every woman wanted to be a virgin with a child and somebody finally pulled the wool over the people's eyes". Are you familiar with the prophecy given to Daniel and how best to explain it?

Here are some sites that you might want to read over to hone your skills in presenting this prophecy:
The Messianic Time Table According to Daniel the Prophet • Jews for Jesus

Daniel's Prophecy of the Seventy Weeks

I also find it appealing to look up the prophecy in Isaiah that Jesus spoke of in his first adult visit to the temple. It's also a powerful prophecy and is even more so because Jesus declared to all those in attendance that he was fulfilling the prophecy right now before their very eyes. Then, as the gospel accounts unfold...Jesus did! He did heal the sick and bind up the lame. He did give sight to the blind and spent some three years proclaiming the day of the Lord.

So, as I say, I would think that the greatest argument against the faith of the Jewish Scriptures being some sort of superstition, is to show how the prophecies seem to have been fulfilled and that's not likely to happen for some superstitious belief. A black cat crossing one's path is a superstitious belief and if we had a couple of dozen prophecies that declared before a black cat crossed someone's path and a written account before the event that what turned out bad was foretold to turn out bad, we likely wouldn't think of black cats crossing our paths as just superstition.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

James Honigman

Site Supporter
Mar 20, 2017
No. California
✟95,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hi Bling. Keep planting seeds for that is your duty before the Lord, but remind them there is no other religion in the world that teaches how God, Himself, died for us, in the flesh. Your job is then done; remember, we plant the seeds, but it is GOD who does the increase.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Try this

ancient chinese symbols christian history - Bing images

it includes boat = vessel 8 people
To Create = speak dust, walk, life,

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I teach open minded highly interested non-Christian Chinese college students, who will most likely return to Communist China, Bible Lessons each week.
Show them how communism is rip off copy of Christianity. All the enemy has to offer to people is a counterfeit of what is real. Then show them human nature compared to what it means to be born again and a new creation in Christ. Because in China sooner or later the rich and the powerful end up going to jail because their power has corrupted them.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You can explain to them that they don't need to convince anyone that the faith is not superstition and that the only thing they need to do is thoroughly proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ.

It's on the Holy Spirit to convince and convict.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Christianity is about the supernatural, so how is Christian supernatural different than the supernatural in other superstitions?
Does God help good Christians supernaturally?
Lots of uneducated Chinese people are very superstitious, so if you become a Christian have you become superstitious like them?

Superstition is about us controlling and using spirits for our purposes. Christianity is not really about the supernatural. It's about Christ and what Christ has done. Christianity is different because of the person of Jesus Christ, not because it makes different claims on the supernatural.

There is no power in a physical reproduction of a cross that we can invoke apart from Christ. And whatever aid may come our way is due only to the will of God, not ours.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MournfulWatcher

In the beginning was the Word.
Feb 15, 2016
United States
✟110,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Christianity is about the supernatural, so how is Christian supernatural different than the supernatural in other superstitions?
Does God help good Christians supernaturally?
Lots of uneducated Chinese people are very superstitious, so if you become a Christian have you become superstitious like them?
The belief in the supernatural is not the same as being superstitious. Being superstitious is one way of behaving in response to the belief in the supernatural. People of many religions are correct in their beliefs that the supernatural exists, however the practices and specifics of their religions aren't always correct.
The ones saying Christianity is superstitious are making a claim and need to prove that claim. Christians having crosses or Bibles is not superstitious in and of itself. They need to know the story of the Bible and recognize that Christianity is not a fearful manner of behavior in response to the unknown, but is instead a way of living and responding to what has been revealed to us by God through the sacrifice and resurrection of His Son.
You and your students will not be able to make every person believe in God. Saying "it's just superstition" is not really an argument but an irrational dismissal if you have actually presented legitimate evidence for Christianity.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Now that you tell us that you are sharing to Chinese who will go back to China, superstition is not the issue. Superstition is the Marxist answer to mankind believing in God. The existence of God is the issue. Design is evident in the creation, thus implying a designer. Eternity, according to Ecclesiastes, is written in every heart. Calling upon God is a universal appeal. There are no atheists in foxholes, as it is said.

If they believe there is a God, but do not know which God to believe in, then you can introduce Jesus Christ. All the other men who formed religions are dead, but Jesus is not. He is the only one to say he would rise from the dead. As such, they can know him if they want. Then address the sin issue. Perfection is the requirement to know God. Are they perfect? Of course not, but Jesus is and he gives us his perfection as though it were our own. This is why Jesus is the door to God, and that no man can come to the Father except by him.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

If your friend's friends are making the assertion that Christianity is just superstition, get them to defend the assertion. What do they mean by superstition? How do they know, exactly, that Christianity is just all superstition? Just asking these questions can have a significant effect on the dynamic of the conversation, putting the onus on the attacker of Christianity to defend his assertions rather than on the Christian to defend his/her faith. A great book pertinent to the situation you've described that you might take a look at is entitled "Tactics" by Greg Koukl. The book offers a number of strategies for discussing one's Christian beliefs in a winsome but effective manner.

Here's what the back cover of the book says:

"Learn how to navigate the mine fields, stop challengers in their tracks, turn the tables and - most importantly - get people thinking about Jesus.

Koukl shows you how to:

- Skillfully manage details of the dialogue.
- Apply principles of sound reasoning and clear thinking.
- Address specific types of attacks on faith.
- Adopt an engaging, disarming style even when people raise objections.

I've distributed copies of this book among the members of my church and have received nothing but positive responses to it. Check it out!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

People tortured and killed Jesus, who willingly died on a wooden plank. He came back to permanent life. How do I know that these events are historical, not superstitious fables? Because many eyewitnesses were willing to suffer many people's persecution and die rather than give up their stories that they had seen Jesus die and show them that he was alive three days later. Jesus' life, death, and rising again are history, believed by millions today because he did those events for his followers to change their lives.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Trying to convince someone intellectually or logically is not going to have the result you want. God has not allowed Himself to be known by human apprehension. An "intellectual christian" does not have the life changing indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Our Lord said no one could come to Him unless drawn by the Father. John 6:44a

How Paul approached it was this way:

1 Corinthians 2:4 and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

That is really good, but how is he supposed to Demonstrate the Power of God to these people?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hi bling,

Well, these people may not be ready, or may never be. We do need to consider that when Jesus, the Son of the living God that Israel claimed to believe in got to the day of the cross, the evidence shows that although he and his disciples had spent some 3 years criss-crossing all of Isreal, there were very few who believed in him. The picture we are given is that the great crowd assembled before Pilate cried out for Barabbas. Except for maybe a few Roman centurions, that great crowd was Jewish.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

While what you say is true, but your forgetting, God had blinded the Nation to who Jesus was, that generation was cursed, they were blind and deaf to the truth of the Messiah, and Salvation passed on to the Gentiles.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

First, I have taken the time to read every single post to your Thread.

The first thing that came to mind when I read your OP was Paul.

What did Paul say on this issue.

Here it is, you can read it to your students and then discuss what Paul did with your students, as he did also.

To these students it is the Gospel that they need to hear, just as those Paul was speaking to.

It opens the discussion, it gives them a BASE from which to begin.

Here you go.....Notice what Paul said to them in the first verse, I feel as though it directly applies to your situation.

Paul Addresses the Areopagus

Act 17:22-34
22) Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens,
I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.

23) For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

24) God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25) Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
26) And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
27) That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28) For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

29) Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

30) And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31) Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

32) And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.

33) So Paul departed from among them.

34) Howbeit certain men clave unto him, and believed: among the which was Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman named Damaris, and others with them.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Acts 13, mentions the word of the Lord spreading throughout the region.
And that those people God appointed to eternal life believed the message. This is because God opens their heart to what is being preached, and then they believe.

42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath. 43 Now when the congregation had broken up, many of the Jews and devout proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.

44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God. 45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy; and contradicting and blaspheming, they opposed the things spoken by Paul. 46 Then Paul and Barnabas grew bold and said, “It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you first; but since you reject it, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles. 47 For so the Lord has commanded us:

‘I have set you as a light to the Gentiles,
That you should be for salvation to the ends of the earth.’ ”

48 Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.

49 And the word of the Lord was being spread throughout all the region.

There is no human derived formula or scheme to make believers. But wherever the gospel is preached, I believe there are some people who will believe, if not immdeiately, then eventually. The gospel is GOOD NEWS to men in every nation.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Sir Isaac Newton is famous for his physics equations. He was also a devoted Christian.

Louis Pasteur discovered heat sanitizes things. He learned to pasteurize milk to prevent the spread of small pox by infected milk maids. He also invented immunology developing the first vaccine. He was a Christian.

I used to get Guideposts magazine with testimonies by Christians about God’s salvation. These written testimonies were useful. I also heard testimonies by people who had been helped by God. When I was young people were talking about having a personal relationship with Christ. I did not know what it meant until I studied Christ’s teachings and tried to apply them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sir Isaac Newton is famous for his physics equations. He was also a devoted Christian.

Louis Pasteur discovered heat sanitizes things. He learned to pasteurize milk to prevent the spread of small pox by infected milk maids. He also invented immunology developing the first vaccine. He was a Christian.

I used to get Guide Posts magazine with testimonies by Christians about God’s salvation. These written testimonies were useful. I also heard testimonies by people who had been helped by God. When I was young people were talking about having a personal relationship with Christ. I did not know what it meant until I studied Christ’s teachings and tried to apply them.
Louis Pastuer may have prevented smallpox but when an epidemic is over it would have been better for the children to have the vitamins replaced in the milk by reverting the extreme method.

Upvote 0