Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Since God is a loving God, who doesn't want that anyone should perish, 2 Peter 3 : 9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish,but everyone to come to repentance. I believe that an infant who dies WILL got to Heaven. The backing for this is found in 2 Samuel 12. v 23 …22 He (David) said, "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, 'Who knows, the LORD may be gracious to me, that the child may live.' 23"But now he has died; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me." Speaking on the loss of his child, David said that he would be going to see the child, but that the child would not be able to come back to life on earth to see him; since David was a Godly man, I believe that he was talking about going to Heaven when he died, where he would see his son. God would not judge someone who has not come to the age of understanding good from evil so would let them into Heaven.

Upvote 0

Theo Book

Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Central Florida
✟59,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Since God is a loving God, who doesn't want that anyone should perish, 2 Peter 3 : 9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish,but everyone to come to repentance. I believe that an infant who dies WILL got to Heaven. The backing for this is found in 2 Samuel 12. v 23 …22 He (David) said, "While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, 'Who knows, the LORD may be gracious to me, that the child may live.' 23"But now he has died; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me." Speaking on the loss of his child, David said that he would be going to see the child, but that the child would not be able to come back to life on earth to see him; since David was a Godly man, I believe that he was talking about going to Heaven when he died, where he would see his son. God would not judge someone who has not come to the age of understanding good from evil so would let them into Heaven.

Agreed!
Many folks ponder why God took their infant child, or child at any age. They need to read Isaiah 57:1 -
"The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come."

Upvote 0

patdee

Sep 20, 2016
Duluth, Georgia
✟23,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I came across this question in another thread. Want people to post their thoughts and Scripture to support it. Is there a age limit before they can be held accountable? Do infants get a pass? Do you believe in infant baptism?

This is one of
I came across this question in another thread. Want people to post their thoughts and Scripture to support it. Is there a age limit before they can be held accountable? Do infants get a pass? Do you believe in infant baptism?

When I was 6, I asked my mother, "Do little babies go to Heaven?" She responded, "Yes son, all babies who die go to Heaven. For until a child reaches the "age of accountability" they automatically go to Heaven".

Later I asked her, "Mother, what is the age of accountability?'. She replied, "I don't know, but God knows".

This bugged me for many years. Then I was told by a person, well versed in the bible, that the age of accountability is age 12. He rationalized this by saying, "When Jesus' parents returned him to Jerusalem after fleeing the death of Herod when He was a baby, He was 12 and he displayed wisdom. Thus the age of accountability is age 12 for all babies when they are 12".

I did NOT believe that then and I do NOT today. That is pure nonsense. So a child of 11 yrs and 29 days old is automatically "saved", but a child of 12 yrs old and one day goes to hell, if he has not accepted Jesus!" Yeah right!

Then I was told by another bible "scholar" that the age is variable and God determines that. "So it is different for different children". Yeah right! Bunch of nonsense; and I am "Princess Di" that has come back to life; albeit I am a male!" Yeah right!

Secondly: "baby baptism" was created BY the RCC (AKA: Roman Catholic Church) and UNLESS a baby is baptized by a Priest before he dies, he will go to hell. Yeah right! NO where in the bible does it say that. Nor did Jesus. It is a lie fomented in hell by satan!

Thirdly: The verse Matthew 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven. This does NOT mean that children are automatically saved. That verse MEANS a child at ANY age. It has nothing to do with salvation. The adults that Jesus spoke to when He said that, were arrogant, egotistical, "self righteous" "religionists" in the highest magnitude of the word. So Jesus used the term child to teach those adults a lesson. It did NOT mean all babies go to Heaven. That is a colossal stretch of interpretation.

Consider this: When Adolph Hitler was 1 yr old crawling around on the floor, the "Book of Life", written BY God BEFORE creation; had already blotted Hitler's name OUT of that book. This means that IF Adolph had died at age 1, he was still GOING to hell; because God KNEW what he would do IF he had lived. Same for Madeline Murray O'Hare! Etc, etc, and etc.

Lastly, God "sealed" that book so that NO one, NOT even the angels In Heaven, nor "the SON" knew what was in the book. Only the "Father" knew. And that does NOT mean "predestination" either; as John Calvin and so many of his followers believe to this day. That is a misinterpretation of God's "Omniscience"; which means, ALL knowing; but it does NOT mean predestination. It is just a God that KNOWS the future that He does NOT predestinate necessarily. Knowing something is going to happen does NOT mean one causes it to happen! If I tell a child "If you touch that hot stove you are going to get burned", does NOT mean I predestined it to happen, IF the child touches the stove and gets burned!

So do babies automatically go to Heaven? Heavens NO! Many will will go to Heaven; but many MORE will perish in hell on "Judgment day". Just like the millions of babies that perished when God saved ONLY 8 people in the "Great Flood". IE: Noah, his wife, their 3 sons and their wives. Notice, NOT a single fetus, baby or child was saved. Just those 8 adults. Same for the "Amalekites", "Jerichoites" and the "Sodom and "Gomorrahites"!

Why did God not save those "precious" little ones? Because over time, EVEN babies are so ensconced in the "sins of the fathers passed down to the 3rd and 4th generations"; that they have NO "redeemable" value in the eyes of God. So sad but true.

So On judgment day there will be countless babies who WILL be saved. But there will be many MORE of them that WILL go to hell; and they deserve it; for what they would to when they were grown up! Believe it or not. Just like the Egyptian "first born" children were slain by the "Angel of Death" on the "Passover night" 4,000 yrs old. The same fate will befall ALL Egyptians who did NOT convert to the true God of Abraham. Same for ALL who do not believe IN the God of Abraham;who was manifest IN the flesh-1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.!

Indeed!

May Jesus richly bless you always,

patdee

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Widlast

Feb 11, 2016
Eastern USA
✟35,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Infants don't need to be saved, they have not sinned. They inherited a tendency to sin, but have not actually had the opportunity to do so, thus, they get a free pass. You will not find this explicitly stated in the Bible, but this has been stated by the Saints, and makes perfect sense.
You can't condemn someone for not having committed a crime. The "age of reason" is accepted to be 7 years of age.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There is a "age limit" for accountablilty in the law, but it is probably more reflecting personal maturity and consciouness of good and evil rather than a age.

Infant baptism has no salvation in it, because baptism as a whole does not save. (1 pet 3:21 talks about the water baptism as a figure for salvation. Paul did not perform baptisms, but he still called them brothers. Kornelius whole family - presumably including children - received salvation with spiritual baptism as a sign without water etc)

Waterbaptism is "baptism of repentance" as taught by john the baptist and peter on teh day of pentecost. It is meaningless without true "metanoia" repentance, but metanoia without water works just fine, or jesus wouldnt say "repent, becuase the kingdom is at hand" he would have to say "repent and be baptised" every time, or he would be lying that you can receive the kingdom without the water ritual. Kids can not perform metanopia repentance , but metanoia repentance is to "repent and be like a child" becuase "the kingdom belongs to these". Hope that makes sense.

A real understanding of metanoia repentance clears up all issues, lol.
Okay you approve age limit without scriptural support, but deny infant baptism?

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I trust God more than your understanding of scripture regarding the torment of un-watered babies.

Sorry, can you be more specific? Trust God, how?

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Do you understand the scripture I posted? What understanding do you derive from those 2 verses?
I am just asking. I want to know before I respond.

Upvote 0

smithed64

To Die is gain, To Live is Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟41,497.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree that infants go to Heaven. I do not agree that Baptism saves. That's a man working with man to testify of His death to sin and life in Christ. Only Saved by Christ alone, faith alone, grace alone.

But just as Abraham made it to Heaven, by just His faith. I believe the scriptures shows us that we all have a measure of faith given to us in the womb and through out.

Romans 12:3 says, “For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.

God has given us all a measure of faith, in Him.
This faith used when we are older, is also the faith that we have in the grace of God for our salvation. And for the gifts he apportions to each of us.

In an infant, they haven't acknowledged a gift yet, they are already covered by Grace, Through God's free gift and the resurrection of Christ.

An infant, can't repent, they have no knowledge of sin. Their conscience is not there, not that it doesn't exist. It's just a clean slate. The word conscience is a compound world meaning..."con"- with "science" - knowledge. Just as we adults have knowledge that we ought to do something right or that we do what is wrong. An Infant has no such thoughts, nor convictions.

God at one time winked at ignorance.

Acts 17:29-30, “Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device. And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent.”

God doesn't wink at our sins, He did wink at the ignorance of those who didn't know Him or heard about Him. In these days and time, I'm confident that the knowledge of who God is, is pretty much know, by those who can comprehend. But the infants of the world, they are ignorant of God. They have no knowledge of Him.
So, could God wink at that original sin in them, because of the ignorance? I don't know. I do know this, God never changes. He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Romans 2:15, “Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another.”

An infant cannot show the work of the law written in their hearts, they have no conscience, and they don't accuse or excuse anyone.

But the main thing here isn't that God "winked" or overlooked and infants original sin. It's the faith that the infants have already in their heart for God.

So, it could be possible, that it's that faith that takes them to be with the Lord at their death. Until they have knowledge of sin, by the law.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This is one of

When I was 6, I asked my mother, "Do little babies go to Heaven?" She responded, "Yes son, all babies who die go to Heaven. For until a child reaches the "age of accountability" they automatically go to Heaven".

Later I asked her, "Mother, what is the age of accountability?'. She replied, "I don't know, but God knows".

This bugged me for many years. Then I was told by a person, well versed in the bible, that the age of accountability is age 12. He rationalized this by saying, "When Jesus' parents returned him to Jerusalem after fleeing the death of Herod when He was a baby, He was 12 and he displayed wisdom. Thus the age of accountability is age 12 for all babies when they are 12".

I did NOT believe that then and I do NOT today. That is pure nonsense. So a child of 11 yrs and 29 days old is automatically "saved", but a child of 12 yrs old and one day goes to hell, if he has not accepted Jesus!" Yeah right!

Then I was told by another bible "scholar" that the age is variable and God determines that. "So it is different for different children". Yeah right! Bunch of nonsense; and I am "Princess Di" that has come back to life; albeit I am a male!" Yeah right!

Secondly: "baby baptism" was created BY the RCC (AKA: Roman Catholic Church) and UNLESS a baby is baptized by a Priest before he dies, he will go to hell. Yeah right! NO where in the bible does it say that. Nor did Jesus. It is a lie fomented in hell by satan!

Thirdly: The verse Matthew 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven. This does NOT mean that children are automatically saved. That verse MEANS a child at ANY age. It has nothing to do with salvation. The adults that Jesus spoke to when He said that, were arrogant, egotistical, "self righteous" "religionists" in the highest magnitude of the word. So Jesus used the term child to teach those adults a lesson. It did NOT mean all babies go to Heaven. That is a colossal stretch of interpretation.

Consider this: When Adolph Hitler was 1 yr old crawling around on the floor, the "Book of Life", written BY God BEFORE creation; had already blotted Hitler's name OUT of that book. This means that IF Adolph had died at age 1, he was still GOING to hell; because God KNEW what he would do IF he had lived. Same for Madeline Murray O'Hare! Etc, etc, and etc.

Lastly, God "sealed" that book so that NO one, NOT even the angels In Heaven, nor "the SON" knew what was in the book. Only the "Father" knew. And that does NOT mean "predestination" either; as John Calvin and so many of his followers believe to this day. That is a misinterpretation of God's "Omniscience"; which means, ALL knowing; but it does NOT mean predestination. It is just a God that KNOWS the future that He does NOT predestinate necessarily. Knowing something is going to happen does NOT mean one causes it to happen! If I tell a child "If you touch that hot stove you are going to get burned", does NOT mean I predestined it to happen, IF the child touches the stove and gets burned!

So do babies automatically go to Heaven? Heavens NO! Many will will go to Heaven; but many MORE will perish in hell on "Judgment day". Just like the millions of babies that perished when God saved ONLY 8 people in the "Great Flood". IE: Noah, his wife, their 3 sons and their wives. Notice, NOT a single fetus, baby or child was saved. Just those 8 adults. Same for the "Amalekites", "Jerichoites" and the "Sodom and "Gomorrahites"!

Why did God not save those "precious" little ones? Because over time, EVEN babies are so ensconced in the "sins of the fathers passed down to the 3rd and 4th generations"; that they have NO "redeemable" value in the eyes of God. So sad but true.

So On judgment day there will be countless babies who WILL be saved. But there will be many MORE of them that WILL go to hell; and they deserve it; for what they would to when they were grown up! Believe it or not. Just like the Egyptian "first born" children were slain by the "Angel of Death" on the "Passover night" 4,000 yrs old. The same fate will befall ALL Egyptians who did NOT convert to the true God of Abraham. Same for ALL who do not believe IN the God of Abraham;who was manifest IN the flesh-1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.!

Indeed!

May Jesus richly bless you always,

patdee
Wow! You did not hold back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Infants don't need to be saved, they have not sinned. They inherited a tendency to sin, but have not actually had the opportunity to do so, thus, they get a free pass. You will not find this explicitly stated in the Bible, but this has been stated by the Saints, and makes perfect sense.
You can't condemn someone for not having committed a crime. The "age of reason" is accepted to be 7 years of age.
Please explain Psalms 51:5?

Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Okay you approve age limit without scriptural support, but deny infant baptism?

Uhm...pls... I said its in the law of moses, how is that not scriptual support?

the question was whether there is a age of accountability in scripture, and the bible (specifically the torah) operates with different variations and it includes a age for fully adults, plus a younger age for accountability in moral questions. This has been in jewish tradition set to around 13 or 12, but as i said this has to do with more personal maturity. Several places it talsk about how a child is train to know good from evil etc.

However i never said i approve of a age "limit" for anything! Thats your words. I would never use the law of moses on repentance anyway.

Do i deny infant baptism? Baptize all you want, what i said, there is no salvation in the water itself. I proved that by reffering to scripture, f inst cornelius house, where they received the gift of repentance (the holy spirit ) BEFORE any baptism...not only him but all the house of all the family and relative he had invited to hear peter talk INLCUDING small children taht was there.

You can call this a denial of infant baotism if you want, but its a story in scripture. Its there. Call it what u want, It will still be there. Also the maturity thing will still be there. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Widlast

Feb 11, 2016
Eastern USA
✟35,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Please explain Psalms 51:5?
Nothing to explain. 1: Psalms are songs written by David (and others), not doctrine, are not to be taken as such.
2. That does not imply guilt on the part of the infant, regardless of how he was "shaped" or how his mother may or may not have sinned.
Sex within marriage is not a sin. To commit a sin, and thus be at enmity with God due to disobedience, you must be ABLE TO WILLFULLY SIN.

Upvote 0

keembo

Jun 23, 2014
✟15,604.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My thoughts and Scripture to support:

I, personally, do not agree with this doctrine of the "age of accountability", because it simply is not found in Scripture. However, what is in Scripture is the statement from Paul in his epistle to the Romans: " For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (3:23). Now this verse is quoted quite frequently in our circles, but I would say that it certainly is still of good use. This verse tells us that there are none who are considered righteous or justified in God's sight. This takes us to the concept of original sin. This is a widely accepted doctrine among Christians. From birth, we are born into Sin. The moment we are conceived, we are brought into this world as a fallen creature, incapable of justification before God. If you agree with that statement, then we have to face the fact that there isn't an "age of accountability" because we are set apart from God at the start. So, I venture to say that infants do not "get a pass." They/we are sinful from our beginning.

This brings me to the next topic, infant Baptism. This is something I wrestled with quite heavily a few years ago. I was raised in the Baptist church. As is common with Baptist theology and practice, Baptism is viewed as nothing more than a profession of faith. This is an outward act, or show, reflecting an inner change. This really was a difficult idea for me to abandon as it was what I had been taught, and believed, for many years. After doing much study in the area, my views changed. I believe that the Old and New testaments (covenants) tie together quite harmoniously. In the Old Testament, in God's covenant with Abraham, there was no practice of Baptism. However, we see the practice of circumcision instead. This was for both adults and infants. It was instructed that every child was to be circumcised on the 8th day after birth. This practice was done to show that the man, or child, belonged to God. It was an inclusion into the covenant.
Now in the NT, Paul makes it very clear that it is no longer circumcision, but Baptism. Christ himself says in Mark 16:16 "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved." And Peter states in Acts 2:38, "Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." This verse explicitly states that Baptism works forgiveness of sins. These men also spoke of this Sacrament being set up for children as well. It is for everyone.

Here is a great article on the subject.
http://www.opc.org/new_horizons/NH00/0007c.html

When I (and many others) read these verses, I can no longer see baptism as a "show of faith." If this were merely a show, it would not be commanded, but suggested. Both verses use very authoritative language.

To summarize, I believe that the Bible teaches that we are all born into Sin. I believe the Scriptures show infant baptism. And I believe that Baptism is God's grace in the form of a sacramental gift to believers and their children.

Since we are all our own theologian to a certain extent, I leave much regarding infant baptism as nothing more than theological debate and don't worry too much about it. Once infant baptism in the early church after Constantine started taking place, it was because there was high infant mortality and priests were worried about the baptism command. I was baptized as a youngster, but I understand fully why many would believe it should be reserved for an age of consent. God seems to like order, and all commandments about baptism start with repent and be baptized, so it appears that a personal desire and consent of sin, followed by baptism, took place. Infants were "dedicated" but not baptized. It is hard for an infant to repent when they are unaware of most of their surroundings. Besides, the thief on the cross was not baptized at all and yet Jesus found contrition by him and salvation for him.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi ladodgers,

I haven't really read all of the answers, but, here are mine.

No, I find no evidences in the Scriptures that there is some 'age of accountability'. We are all born in sin.

As far as I understand the Scriptures, no, infants don't get a pass. Many seem to think that David claimed that his infant son had gone to heaven, but that's not really what David said. David said that he would go to him (the child), but the child could not come back to him. David likely just meant that he would go to the place of death where his child is. Throughout the Scriptures God tells the forefathers, as they came to death's door, that they would rest with their fathers. God doesn't seem to have held out a hope to the forefathers that they would somehow be immediately transported into heaven upon their death.

When Jesus was crucified, we are told that he went into hades to preach. Hades is the place of the dead and, based on this explanation, those in hades do seem to have consciousness. This may well be the same place where David expected to 'go to him'.

As I understand the Scriptures, infant baptism is useless. Baptism seems to be something that one can only do for themselves when they are wise enough to know and understand the truth and accept it as their individual choice. An infant cannot make that discernment. My mother cannot 'get' me baptized even if I'm 40 years old if I haven't made the choice for myself to believe and trust God and His truth. Now, as Hannah did, we can certainly dedicate an infant to the Lord and make a committment to raise that child in the knowledge and ways of the Lord, but the child will still, at some point later, have to make a choice as to which way he will go. The Scriptures do tell us that if we do that, then when the child is old he will not depart from it.

God bless you,
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian

patdee

If Hitler had died at age 1, Hitler would not have gone to hell. Since if Hitler had died as an infant, then it was part of God's will and nothing he had done would have happened since it was not ordained to occur.

And God sealed the book of Life so that none know who is saved?
However in the parable of the tares and wheat, God's holy elect angels can tell apart the tares from the wheat as soon as they sprout. They know who is to be saved, the planting of the LORD, and who is Satan's seed.

Matthew 13:24-30New King James Version (NKJV)
The Parable of the Wheat and the Tares
24 Another parable He put forth to them, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; 25 but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way. 26 But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared. 27 So the servants of the owner came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’ 28 He said to them, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The servants said to him, ‘Do you want us then to go and gather them up?’ 29 But he said, ‘No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them.30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.”’”

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Uhm...pls... I said its in the law of moses, how is that not scriptual support?

Because the age in which the generation could enter Canaan literally has nothing to do with some notion of an age of accountability. There is precisely no connection of any kind whatsoever except in the imagination.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi ladodgers,
I haven't really read all of the answers, but, here are mine.
No, I find no evidences in the Scriptures that there is some 'age of accountability'. We are all born in sin.
As far as I understand the Scriptures, no, infants don't get a pass. Many seem to think that David claimed that his infant son had gone to heaven, but that's not really what David said. David said that he would go to him (the child), but the child could not come back to him.
David likely just meant that he would go to the place of death where his child is. Throughout the Scriptures God tells the forefathers, as they came to death's door, that they would rest with their fathers. God doesn't seem to have held out a hope to the forefathers that they would somehow be immediately transported into heaven upon their death.
When Jesus was crucified, we are told that he went into hades to preach. Hades is the place of the dead and, based on this explanation, those in hades do seem to have consciousness. This may well be the same place where David expected to 'go to him'.
As I understand the Scriptures, infant baptism is useless. Baptism seems to be something that one can only do for themselves when they are wise enough to know and understand the truth and accept it as their individual choice. An infant cannot make that discernment. My mother cannot 'get' me baptized even if I'm 40 years old if I haven't made the choice for myself to believe and trust God and His truth. Now, as Hannah did, we can certainly dedicate an infant to the Lord and make a committment to raise that child in the knowledge and ways of the Lord, but the child will still, at some point later, have to make a choice as to which way he will go. The Scriptures do tell us that if we do that, then when the child is old he will not depart from it.
God bless you,
In Christ, Ted
Romans 4:15
(15) Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.
Romans 5:13
(13) (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Because the age in which the generation could enter Canaan literally has nothing to do with some notion of an age of accountability. There is precisely no connection of any kind whatsoever except in the imagination.

-CryptoLutheran

What? not even close to what im talking about!
There is an understnading in jewish faith about certain milestones in a persons life. Verses in deuteronomy talks about when a child learns to distinquish good and evil. isiah 7 even says it about "immanuel" that "before learns to know good and reject evil...." This is a moral maturity a child reaches, and in jewish culture this is normally set to 12-13 y.o. where they from that day shall be recognized as adult and morally accountable.
This is what the rich young man is talking about when he says "from my youth i have kept the commadments". there is no reason to say he kept it from infancy, since he wasnt accountable. Theres many verses for this, but what you are talking about is confusion. Im talking about how jews understand the torah, the law of moses.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, can you be more specific? Trust God, how?

How much? I have full faith in his judgment on such matters.

trust
trəst/
noun
  1. 1.
    firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something.
    "relations have to be built on trust"
    synonyms: confidence, belief, faith, certainty, assurance, conviction, credence;
    reliance
    "good relationships are built on trust"
  2. 2.
    LAW
    confidence placed in a person by making that person the nominal owner of property to be held or used for the benefit of one or more others.
verb
  1. 1.
    believe in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of.

Upvote 0