Hovind's lies exposed.

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
Who was conned, Washington, and how?
Well, his phony $250,000 challenge conned people into visiting his site in hopes of making some dough.

He tried to con the IRS out of money by falsely claiming bankruptcy.

He tried to con his followers into thinking he was far more educated than he really was with his phony PhD.

He conned people into thinking what he said was true by outright lying to them.

And by charging admission to experience these lies at his Dinosaur Adventure Land he conned many people out of their money.

Upvote 0

uke2se

Jun 8, 2009
Sweden
✟510.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Well, his phony $250,000 challenge conned people into visiting his site in hopes of making some dough.

He tried to con his followers into thinking he was far more educated than he really was with his phony PhD.

And by charging admission to experience these lies at his Dinosaur Adventure Land he conned many people out of their money.

Be careful there, Washington. I've been informed that according to the rules of this site, we're not allowed to badmouth religious figures, even when what we're saying is true.

I received an infraction for calling Ken Ham certain things that are all true, but that I apparently cannot say on these forums.

It's perfectly alright to badmouth Darwin or Dawkins or anyone else, as long as they're not a religious leader, though.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
Be careful there, Washington. I've been informed that according to the rules of this site, we're not allowed to badmouth religious figures, even when what we're saying is true.

I received an infraction for calling Ken Ham certain things that are all true, but that I apparently cannot say on these forums.

It's perfectly alright to badmouth Darwin or Dawkins or anyone else, as long as they're not a religious leader, though.
Thanks for the warning. Because I have been involved in similar issues I printed out the rules some time ago and in reviewing them can't see where they would apply here. Hovind did perpetrate the cons I have described, and has deceived the public by making statements he knew were false. If verification is needed I have more than enough sources to back up these allegations. As for being a religious leader, Hovind would be one of the last to qualify. He's nothing more than an opportunist gone amok, and no Christian should regard someone who was proved to have defrauded the government as a religious leader.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Ya --- and I was conned by Tombaugh's Folly for 52 years.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Gee, funny that, he still discovered it, redefining the word planet doesn't change any physical attributes of that bit of rock, and most importantly, no one charged any money for the privilege.

Upvote 0

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The funny thing is that from the PoV of certain people here, they are...

Hey, if I weren't such an impeccable paragon of virtue :)swoon:), I'd almost be tempted to exploit the situation ^_^

(Or does the rule apply only to Christian leaders?)

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Except for a few subtle differences, the two cases are exactly alike! Here's a short comparison... the similarities are eerie.

1. Tombaugh discovered a heavenly body... Hovind made no contribution whatsoever to any field of science. SOURCE
2. Hovind makes false claims about science. Tombaugh didn't.
3. Hovind has an unscientific agenda. Tombaugh didn't.
4. Nobody lost money on Tombaugh's account as a result of his discovery of Pluto. This cannot be said for Hovind's involvement with science.

hm... guess they're not so similar after all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

uke2se

Jun 8, 2009
Sweden
✟510.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the warning. Because I have been involved in similar issues I printed out the rules some time ago and in reviewing them can't see where they would apply here. Hovind did perpetrate the cons I have described, and has deceived the public by making statements he knew were false. If verification is needed I have more than enough sources to back up these allegations. As for being a religious leader, Hovind would be one of the last to qualify. He's nothing more than an opportunist gone amok, and no Christian should regard someone who was proved to have defrauded the government as a religious leader.

I completely agree. It would seem certain mods don't, though. I suppose what you called Kent Hovind isn't as bad as what I called Ken Ham. Both of us spoke the truth, though.

Upvote 0

uke2se

Jun 8, 2009
Sweden
✟510.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Will colleges replace their textbooks at no extra charge to their students?

I honestly believe that the teachers are able to just tell their students about Pluto until the next generation of textbooks are due. It has no major implication to any field of science anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

uke2se

Jun 8, 2009
Sweden
✟510.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone know the answer to my question?

I haven't had a conference call with all the world's colleges for some time now, but my common sense is trying to tell me that the answer is "no, colleges will not replace textbooks at no extra charge to their students, because colleges won't replace textbooks over this issue".

I usually listen to my common sense, although it is sometimes wrong.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Does anyone know the answer to my question?

I gave you one. Given that redefinition doesn't change the actual physical facts of Pluto, pencilling in a new terminology definition shall suffice.

I realise this is fishing for answers as part of your anti-science prejudice, so be thankful you got that answer in the first place.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Will colleges replace their textbooks at no extra charge to their students?
Well, if you're going to count the money spent by students on updated textbooks, every scientific discovery costs people money. It's not the same as being conned. Valiant effort, though.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, if you're going to count the money spent by students on updated textbooks, every scientific discovery costs people money. It's not the same as being conned. Valiant effort, though.
"Conned" wasn't the focus of my question --- having to repurchase textbooks was.

QV please: 113.

Upvote 0