• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Hovind's lies exposed.

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by LifeToTheFullest!, Jul 28, 2009.

1. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

+40,432
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Well, I'm not going to rule out what is called Retroactive Falsification, but every myth, as they say, has a grain of truth in it.

If they did indeed hunt a large flying avian back then, and hunted it to extinction, and over time this large flying avian became what is known today as the 'Thunderbird'; then indeed the 'Thunderbird' is a myth*, but the bird itself is not.

* Or, more appropriately, an exaggeration.
    Yes --- in my opinion.

2. Alunyel

Alunyel Guest

+0
    So if you develop cancer, you're going to try and cure it through eating the seeds of peaches?

Just don't go crying to Hovind when you develop cyanide poisoning over your cancer, which the peach seeds had no effect on.

But it's OK, because you'll take his word for it, that peach seeds can cure cancer.

3. AV1611VET

+40,432
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I thought I edited out the word "cure" in my post: 50.

4. LifeToTheFullest!

LifeToTheFullest! Well-Known Member

+139
    Agnostic
    So, we agree that Hovind lies for Jesus, and we can close this thread?

5. Bombila

Bombila Veteran

+405
    Agnostic
    Married

6. Soul Searcher

Soul Searcher The kingdom is within

+3,381
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Keep in mind however that in the same post where it was pointed out that he claimed they hunted dinos it is also pointed out that he says dinos are nothign more than overgrown lizards. It is crystal clear that he is not talking about a bird so even if they did hunt Thunderbirds he is still wrong.

My guess is that he does nto believe birds are dinos nor related though that is just a guess.

7. LifeToTheFullest!

+139
    Agnostic
    So, we agree that Hovind lies for Jesus to make a buck?

8. AV1611VET

+40,432
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I personally believe Job hunted dinosaurs.

Notice this passage:
    Attempts at hunting the Leviathan are futile; even when he is found, he cannot be captured by conventional means.

9. LifeToTheFullest!

+139
    Agnostic
    So, you agree that Hovind lies for Jesus?

10. AV1611VET

+40,432
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    As much as I believe you lie for Darwin.

11. Hespera

Hespera Junior Member

+179
    Buddhist
    Private
    do you ever get asked why you cant ever just give a straight answer?

12. LifeToTheFullest!

+139
    Agnostic
    Is that a "yes"?

13. Naraoia

Naraoia Apprentice Biologist

+293
    Atheist
    Single
    An email client that I would love, if only it were compatible with my antivirus.

A misrepresentation worthy of a Hovind thread.

I think you've also been told that all the evidence found in the 200 years since grandpa supports grandpa's conclusion.

Bird-hipped dinosaurs are about as far removed from birds as a dinosaur can be ;)

IMO, the peach myth is something that would even make sense if it were true. After all, cyanide interferes with the mitochondrial electron transport chain, and cancer cells are precisely the kind of cell that you'd expect to need a lot of energy.

14. Bombila

Bombila Veteran

+405
    Agnostic
    Married
    This speculation does not remove my point, or my objection. You and the cryptozoologists, knowing very little of First Nations beliefs, legends, oral traditions, grasp at a thread and weave a blanket of it, without ever going the route of asking the people whose culture you are stealing the thread from in the first place.

15. Tenka

Tenka Guest

+0
    This is rubbish.
    For Hovind to make any point by claiming "Native Americans used to hunt dinosaurs" he would have to have been referring to species thought long extinct such as giant sauropods.
    Hovind claiming humans hunted animals we know lived in the same time and place as humans gets him nowhere. Given that one of Hovind's central claims is that humans lived alongside giant sauropod dinosaurs it is certain he is referring to these and not a relatively recently extinct bird.
    In addition, this page from Hovind's website indicates that he rejects that birds are dinosaurs.

If you want evidence that he is liar.
    "
    Hovind was found to have lied about his possessions and income."

16. AV1611VET

+40,432
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    And I don't agree.
    I have no idea what he was referring to.

If he made the statement that Native Americans used to hunt dinosaurs, then he is correct --- at least on a technicality --- since birds are dinosaurs.
    It gets him off the hook on a technicality.
    Again, I disagree.

I also believe man lived next to, and hunted giant dinosaurs, as I just showed from the book of Job.

HOWEVER, I also believe these 'giant sauropod dinosaurs' no longer exist - (unless Nessie is one).

If Kent Hovind was indeed talking about these guys, then I think he is in error --- but certainly not lying.

My take on this is that they hunted the Thunderbird to extinction (or near extinction), as well as possibly a dying species of something else.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  17. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Seeker for life, probably

+269
    Seeker
    Single
    It pains me to say it, but I'll have to side with AV1611VET on this one. Hovind isn't lying when he says that Native Americans hunted thunderbirds or dinosaurs. He's wrong, but I think he really believes these things.

18. Washington

Washington Well-Known Member

+331
    Agnostic
    I might agree with you if it was almost any other creationist. Trouble with Hovind is that he's shown himself to be a con-man who was only out for the buck, and would say anything to further that end. So while he might believe such a thing, I feel that it's more likely that he doesn't.

19. Tenka

Tenka Guest

+0
    From Kent's own site he writes: "Dinosaurs were created with man and were on the ark with Noah. After the flood they were hunted to the point of extinction in most parts of the world by man. A few dinosaurs are still alive in various parts of the world today!"

If by "Thunderbird" you are talking about some species of recently extinct giant bird, then yes extinction from hunting is a possibility. Evidence pending.
    It isn't clear to what degree the thunderbird myth is based on reality, the giant avain you produced earlier is vulture like, while thunderbird stories describe something closer to a bald eagle.
    Frankly, when you have delicious deer and bison in abundance I can't see the attraction in going after a giant vulture.

Australian aboriginies most likely hunted megafauna, and likely contributed to their extinctions. They weren't really dinosaurs though.

I don't know what I think. He has a history of extremely disingenuous behavior. His "$250000 challenge" for one example and his antics with the IRS as another.
    He seems greatly interested in money and self promotion and, circumstances willing, could probably have been a cult leader.

20. AV1611VET

+40,432
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Who was conned, Washington, and how?