Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
This is an excellent reason to meet at home.

So you gather every day?
That has not been so easy with the COVID restrictions. Normally we have informal meetings daily. I live in the home of a good friend that I've known for 40 years. We have fellowship every day. The very early church met in homes and they were taught daily. Some would say that now we have the Bible, it's not necessary. I don't agree. While personal Bible study is essential, so is teaching from those the Lord has called to teach. It's also time when people can share problems and questions they may have. There is a place for formal meetings in the traditional way. But they are not sufficient to meet everyone's needs.

The COVID restrictions are lifting so we can see how to come back to normal (whatever that is!). There was a time when we'd meet in the morning before people went to work. It's a great way to start the day. It was only for 15 minutes or so.

Being an isolated Christian is very hard. It's like taking a lump of coal out of a fire. Eventually, the coal will lose it's heat and glow. It's still coal, but it is cold and no use to anyone.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What led to you to join or form a house church?
What are the benefits of worshiping in an intimate setting?
What challenges have you faced thus far?
Do you miss traditional church?

Having been in both I think perhaps a blended approach would be best. Both models have their strengths and weaknesses. House churches, good for intimacy as you say, it has this facet of church life. On the other hand larger churches, the 'whosoever' may come and not just the invited few. The house church can be intimate, but can also be insular.

Maybe the best model is the larger church with small home groups attached.

God Bless :)

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The real value of the house church assemblies, is that they are usually in a town where there are not other Bible-only type assemblies; and they recognize the "priesthood" of all the saints (rather than a hierarchy of preachers) as noted in 1 Peter 2:5; and verse 9,for our participation in study, ministry, and worship. etc.. Nothing is added for convenience and choices people like to make. All redeemed saints are a "holy and royal priesthood" as God shows us; and so in a Bible-only gathering, all the brethren can minister, pray, give forth hymns, etc. (though the sisters need to not minister, as God says. One can see more about such order at the site: biblecounsel.net; which I have found very instructive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The thread is a year old now. It still reads like it was written this year.

I am thankful for the three Sabbath studies that have continued virtually. One is an interactive Bible reading using a conference call platform: this meeting is advertised on Meetup. The second is an ongoing interactive study using GoToMeeting, and the third is a live-stream of rerun recordings from a solid teacher where we have opportunity to chat by text.

Even as good as these opportunities are, I do look forward to resuming more face to face fellowship.

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've felt a growing desire to fellowship at home with other believers. I envision gatherings over nourishing meals where we share the word, study, and support one another. I won't call it a house church per se, but its been on my heart for two years now.

I'd like to hear your stories. :)

What led to you to join or form a house church?
What are the benefits of worshiping in an intimate setting?
What challenges have you faced thus far?
Do you miss traditional church?

For those who've lead a group, what would you recommend for first timers?

Thank you for sharing.

Yours in His Service,

~bella
My husband and I have had HOME CHURCH the better part of the last 40 years. It's been a TREMENDOUS BLESSING. Many times, it is just the two of us...sometimes others join us...but thankfully, we are told, "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." Matthew 18:20.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm in a home based fellowship that's been meeting for a few years now, but I've only been a part for a few months. As others have said, it's a way more intimate setting, it's impossible for someone to come into the group and "hide out" in the back. It's part of a larger group of home fellowships that meet once a month, but each home fellowship meets on Wednesday. Now they don't meet in an "official" capacity, but others meet up and do things throughout the week as well. I live an hour away so it's difficult to make it each week on Wednesday let alone daily. But it's like a family honestly. People give to those who have needs. We share a meal every Wednesday. Do evangelism throughout the week. Everyone is encouraged to share something that's been laid on their hearts from scripture. Just different from the old brick and mortar church where only a few have any responsibilities

Upvote 0

Robert1849

Oct 31, 2021
PRIEST RIVER
Visit site
✟18,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm, where do I begin? My Christian history started with a very odd blend of Baptist and Vineyard eventually leading me to start a house church. It grew and was totally awesome as we kept it centered on the presence of God. Eventually, the Lord had us sell and move to the other side of the state to start over. There was a lot of good and a lot of bad that took place, took a few years for the bruise to fade from that experience. Then the Lord had us sell again and we moved across the US to South Carolina. My with and I got on staff with a well known Charismatic ministry.
Around the 5th year, we really started to see "what was under the rug," so we pulled up our tent pegs and got out of there. Long story short we are almost back where we started in North Idaho. Slowly putting together another assembly of believers. Only this time we have also started a small Christian publishing business.
The fact is, I just have no interest in the corporate Christian machine. Our meetings should be about life and not how to sustain the growth of the system. www.Breadstonepublishing.com

Upvote 0

HouseChurch.me

Jul 1, 2022
Orlando, FL
✟8,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find that the best form of home church is that which is put forth in Scripture and practiced throughout the NT. Not having one leader, but rotating homes and those who lead on a regular weekly basis, seems one of the best ways to encourage growth and development within the Body of Christ. I Cor 14:26 states, "What should you do then, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each one has a song, has a lesson, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all these things be done for the strengthening of the church." In another verse, Heb 5:14, we learn that spiritual maturity or spiritual 'fine tuning' comes by reason of use--you know, through exercise. This principle mirrors the natural laws God established: you get better and stronger as you walk out / exercise your faith: "But solid food is for the [spiritually] mature, whose senses are trained by practice to distinguish between what is morally good and what is evil." So if anyone wonders WHY the Western church is sooo weak and immature, it's because the man-made "church" tradition we have placed ourselves in, pretty much guarantees we do not become spiritually mature. God will use whatever room we give Him to work in our lives, but the simple fact is we often cannot establish the kinds of close relationships which ensure growth, challenge us to walk out our faith in a more perfect manner, or become stronger in the gifts we've been given (very few in any "traditional" church meeting are the ones teaching, singing hymns, giving a tongue or interpretation, etc.). Fortunately, the Lord is gracious and will still work in us to the extent we allow, even if it's within a man-made, cultural tradition like the typical American or even European church. But more to the point: why not use the blueprint for fellowship/ekklesia God has given us in Scripture, instead? It's the reason the church grew so rapidly in the early decades and centuries: from fewer than 300 disciples to a large chunk of the roman Empire by the year 313 AD. The early church involved purposeful gathering, prayer, fellowship, food, helping with one another's needs (as the Lord leads and as we are able), and allowing the Spirit to flow through us to others. Imagine a time when not only the pastor is Spirit-filled, but every believer in Christ is filled and fit for the spiritual level they are at--all paying attention to one another and the Spirit, all united in spirit and purpose. This is possible when we let go of our own expectations for fellowship and follow after Him, by His Spirit, according to His Word and the example He put forth in the Scriptures by the early apostles and disciples. Anyway, good question. If you have anymore questions, feel free to email or ask me here, or visit the website I'm putting together to encourage the growth of independent house churches and home church networks around the world: Home - House Church Me It's in it's very early stages, with the aim to provide resources for home churches, feature various house church networks around the globe, help people find a house church, and perhaps in the future to provide a place to communicate with one another.

• Useful
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

LenKin

Oct 28, 2017
St Louis
✟16,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like what some say here. I haven't read all.

Would it be practical or not to meet here weekly or so among some of us?

I came here now to see if there's a group I can join. I'm feeling kind of adrift. Just retired after making enough income to buy a house for a friend. I think my next project needs to be to join a "Christian" group that seeks to follow Jesus' example. I don't view Jesus as "God", but as a smarter brother that I can call bruh. The shroud of Turin seems to be good evidence that Jesus was resurrected. I think he's an angel. He said we could do the things he does, so that suggests that we can be resurrected like he was. The important thing though IMO is to care about all of those around us and to help each other do so. Peggy Hall says to be local and vocal (14) The Healthy American Peggy Hall - YouTube

Does anyone want to meet here weekly? I guess we could post any time we can. Or is there a benefit to meeting at a certain time? Or maybe several different times would be better. Any comments?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robert1849

Oct 31, 2021
PRIEST RIVER
Visit site
✟18,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello LenKin, I don't know how others feel about it but internet-based fellowships are extremely difficult to maintain. The Body was really designed for face-to-face interactions, Sorry. Oh, FYI when people die they do not become Angels. Angels are created beings just like you and me. Jesus was God, who chose to become human to save the human race. After his resurrection the bible is very clear he returned back to where he came from. So that means he did not go on, to take on another form so that he could die again to save fallen angels. The idea of becoming an Angel after death is far more rooted in both Catholic concepts as well as the occult (New Age Acceded teachings). And yes, the current evidence on the Shroud of Turin is outstanding and this new evidence need to be presented in every congregation for it clearly displays the power and wonder of the resurection.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello LenKin, I don't know how others feel about it but internet-based fellowships are extremely difficult to maintain.

And the best example of that, is the lady who started this thread a year and a half ago, has largely disappeared I think real life caught up to her....

Upvote 0