• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

House Church Info.

Discussion in 'House Churches & Cell Groups' started by bèlla, Jan 7, 2021.

1. bèlla

bèlla ❤️ Supporter

+11,809
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I've felt a growing desire to fellowship at home with other believers. I envision gatherings over nourishing meals where we share the word, study, and support one another. I won't call it a house church per se, but its been on my heart for two years now.

I'd like to hear your stories. :)

What led to you to join or form a house church?
    What are the benefits of worshiping in an intimate setting?
    What challenges have you faced thus far?
    Do you miss traditional church?

For those who've lead a group, what would you recommend for first timers?

Thank you for sharing.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+7,106
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    @~Cassia~ made a thread in this forum today, and may know more, if you ask.

3. xaris

xaris Active Member

+247
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I lived in a home ministry for about eight years. (Sort of a 'live-in' Church).
    Each is different, but an important ingredient (even for those that meet once a week) is that the people want to be there...want to be discipled etc.. Prayer and solid teaching is quite important.

4. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,666
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    We've been a home based fellowship for over 25 years. I would find it hard to go back to a traditional church permanently. Just some aspects:
    We meet every day in one way or another
    One important focus is prayer. One of our number is a prayer warrior. She inspires others as well.

It can be intense. No one can hide. Some could not handle the exposure and have left.

If people leave a church of hundreds, it's not such a big deal. When it is only a few, it can have quite a major effect.

We have the bread and wine most Sundays. Sometimes we visit other churches to keep in touch with the church at large.

The only conditions for coming to our group is that you be born again and not divisive.

For leaders, leadership is not about control. Believers need to be taught and helped to overcome problems that they suffer. Total dependence on the Lord Jesus is a must for the leader.

Those who come should be given the opportunity to express their gifts and calling.

It's always helpful to have a "hands on" time as well. The group helped the pastor with his gardening and maintenance. We often had a car wash day where we pitched in to wash our cars together.

Meeting in a home releases funds to help others instead of running a large building. We very much encourage giving.

Singing is a daily part of fellowship. We have a guitar and a tambourine player. We sing older songs that are often based on scripture. Personally, I find many modern Christian songs banal and repetitive.

We have few rules. We expect women to dress appropriately. We expect people to be on time.

The leader gets a day off. Every week. It's easy to get worn out, especially if the leader is working full time as well. Christians should be getting built up to the point where they don't need to be spoon fed constantly.

5. ~Cassia~

~Cassia~ on sabatical Supporter

+11,252
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    I mostly post in the house church forum because of the equalitarity aspect of the house churches in the early church.

Altho I don’t attend a house church (CF has become that to me) I’ve had some very satisfying home study groups. Making close friends in a conversation setting is great. Every birthday etc celebrated with a potluck dinner. It was the core group of a Narazene church that had split and so our ties were many. Not just meeting together once a week and for dinners but also every year we went camping together for a few days. The focus of the weekly meetings was from a study book that we’d all decided was the topic. I learned a lot from them because they were so knowledgable. All their kids went to the Nazarene college. It was an interesting group. The traditional church setting was everyone falling asleep so I don’t miss that.

6. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+2,961
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    I've done lots of stuff with this off and on.

1) I was exploring Meetup.com for organizing a group that would meet at public areas. e.g. - Where, I use to lived in North Carolina there was a Soul Food Restaurant two blocks away from where I lived that I was going to use for this sort of a group. I think that web site is really good for future ministry things. Right now it is mostly New Age folks that use it for this kind of things, and a few brick and mortar churches use it for things like Youth groups, young singles groups, young couples groups etc.

I actually believe this web site has a lot of value for the future when it comes to ministries etc. for the future. It's only down side is paying a small service fee and it can take a while to recruit people.

2) Charismatic prayer groups and Bible studies and anything like that seems like a good draw for strangers. And tying it in with a meal would be even better....

3) I had a bit of an axe to grind with some folks in the movement especially Frank Viola (Who seemed like they were not just promoting the movement etc. but basically proselytizing people away from their churches so they can instead sell them materials etc.) And had some other things on that guy as far as being shameless plagiarizer and writing things that were poorly researched like "Pagan Christianity".

I would actually expect on the Messianic front there would be some materials as far Seder dinner stuff...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. NerdGirl

NerdGirl The untamed daughter

+2,994
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    This sounds wonderful to me.

8. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,666
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    It has it's not so good moments, but overall it's more like real church than anything else I've experienced. Even when things are hard, the Lord comes through with the answers. And no one need go without help.

9. bèlla

bèlla ❤️ Supporter

+11,809
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I’ve been discerning this for several years long before the desire to gather rose in my heart. The traditional church isn’t the right setting. Nothing happened. I have no horrors to report. I don’t mind visiting on occasion. But it isn’t home.

That’s impressive. But I couldn’t do that nor would the people I’d select.

Intimacy can be difficult. Especially in the company of strangers. I’m envisioning a group of friends and acquaintances. Organic relating is my preference.

This is more akin to an intimate circle. I think that’s the right approach for me. When I worked with Alpha we had a meal and lesson. It was geared to unbelievers.

I think the supper club is best for fellowship. It works well for a mixed crowd. The circle is for those desiring greater intimacy and spiritual sustenance.

It sounds like you have a nice group. May the Lord continue to bless your efforts and togetherness. :)

Yours in His Service,

~bella

10. bèlla

bèlla ❤️ Supporter

+11,809
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Weekly meetings sound more feasible and I like the idea of time away every year.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

11. bèlla

bèlla ❤️ Supporter

+11,809
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I’ve looked at local events and groups through Meetup. But I never went. Overall, my commitment and involvement are greatest with paid clubs and memberships.

I don’t think I want a bible study. I know I want couples for dinner and women for the circle. But I don’t want busyness. Or the sense that gathering = doing.

I know how to do that. Your suggestion reminded me of Chabad. They do things along these lines. :)

Yours in His Service,

~bella

12. 1watchman

1watchman Overseer Supporter

+998
    Christian
    Married
    One needs to see that meetings in a house is not alone the Bible principle (note some places call them 'cottage meetings'). , for it is normally just following the simple way as the New Testament shows, until they grow large enough to need a building for the assembly. The fellowship I am with universal has moved from a house meeting to a building to accommodate the growth (one can read about this form at the Biblecounsel.net site which seeks to show the Bible-only way) --a worldwide fellowship. I think one first needs to value the principle of I Cor.12:25, and "unity of the faith" (Acts 15:23; Romans 12:5; 1 Corinthians 16:19-20; etc.). God wants us to be together in the world, not after that which pleases one's interests and ideas. That is what I learned many years ago. Keep looking up!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  13. Greengardener

Greengardener for love is of God Supporter

+512
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I can understand what you are expressing, Bella. I've been part of a couple of home fellowships and they were beneficial. In my younger years it seemed we moved every few years so I don't have history with any groups for long although I've remained close with many individuals in many places and I'm thankful for that part. I'm part of 2 other groups that meet: one is fully virtual because of distance and the other is part virtual but could be part in person meetings. The local group is strong on fellowship. They go out to eat together and go camping every year. From what I've read of things you post, it would make sense that you are feeling called to encourage others and be encouraged in the way a home church can.

14. Berl

Berl New Member

+19
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Observation built with hands is shadow for spirit, the temple is in us where Christ is in man.