Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm relieved to hear that.

However, if you or i were there, we surely would intervene, yes?

I have family who have worked in medicine (I won't say their positions.)

At least one of them has been severely reprimanded for speaking out, and being a real advocate for patients. When telling others this, this person was dismissed.

People are constantly speaking out, but the reputation of the academic entity itself was much more favorable than one person (or even 100.)

Even when people try to act, it is forgotten and repeated. It isn't worth the trouble anymore - to try, just to be called a liar or degenerate (or, have a visible show of null support for ethical stands.)

That is why the OP incident isn't surprising, and it wont ever stop. The psychological paradigm would punish those that do the right thing, and laud those that wear a veneer of a protector.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I have family who have worked in medicine (I won't say their positions.)

At least one of them has been severely reprimanded for speaking out, and being a real advocate for patients. When telling others this, this person was dismissed.

People are constantly speaking out, but the reputation of the academic entity itself was much more favorable than one person (or even 100.)

Even when people try to act, it is forgotten and repeated. It isn't worth the trouble anymore - to try, just to be called a liar or degenerate (or, have a visible show of null support for ethical stands.)

That is why the OP incident isn't surprising, and it wont ever stop. The psychological paradigm would punish those that do the right thing, and laud those that wear a veneer of a protector.

THAT would stop you from intervening in some way?

Seriously?

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
for profit has everything to do with it.
when your only mission is to make money everything else slowly gets reasoned away bit by bit that by the time you notice you've left the line a mile behind.
It's a private not-for-profit teaching hospital not that makes to much of a difference for profit, not for profit, private or government funded any of them we do this sort of things when the cost gets to be above what they have budgeted to spend.

• Winner
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
THAT would stop you from intervening in some way?

Seriously?

What do you mean intervene? As a patient care employee?

I just told you the PEOPLE are the ones who make people not want to intervene by dismissal and disregard.

If you mean protest the issues, the PEOPLE are the ones who make that null based on dismissal and disregard.

At some point you have to let the fire burn itself out for a lesson to be learned. Since antiquity people have thrown away their advocated because of what they have been taught: namely trust authority and eviscerate those who would have the audacity to challenge it.

What do you expect to be done?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All I see is the hospital did it's job. And the lady had no ride or family to pick her up. So they dump her at the nearest bus station. They should have did it during the day. Or called a taxi. It's not like they took a bunch of mentally ill people and dumped them into a different city or state. So that city or state has to deal with their mental ill, drug and homeless problem.
That isn't the problem. They should have done it when she was DRESSED.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What do you mean intervene? As a patient care employee?

I just told you the PEOPLE are the ones who make people not want to intervene by dismissal and disregard.

If you mean protest the issues, the PEOPLE are the ones who make that null based on dismissal and disregard.

At some point you have to let the fire burn itself out for a lesson to be learned. Since antiquity people have thrown away their advocated because of what they have been taught: namely trust authority and eviscerate those who would have the audacity to challenge it.

What do you expect to be done?

As i mentioned earlier in a post, i know that hospital. And i HAVE intervened, many times.

What would you have done if you saw this woman standing/sitting out there in the freezing cold with only a hospital gown on, and not even any shoes?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

I agree that she should've been "dressed" and at least have something on her feet besides socks. The bottom line, however, is she should've never been put out of the hospital in the cold. The police and their crisis intervention should've been called, to say the least. In addition a social worker should've been assigned to her and the Homeless Persons Representation Project been contacted on her behalf.

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Wow. It's hard to believe the extreme coldness of hearts that are working in our healthcare system.
What would you do if this happened to someone you know?

A Baltimore hospital says it “failed to fulfill our mission” and is conducting an internal investigation after shocking video emerged of a patient being discharged at a bus stop on a frigid night while wearing only a gown.

The video, which was posted online by Imamu Baraka early Wednesday, has gone viral and shows the patient, who had not been identified, walking around slowly and moaning outside the University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus.

“Wait, so y’all just going to leave this lady out here with no clothes on?” Baraka says to a group of workers as they're walking back to the medical facility with an empty wheelchair. “That is not okay.”

Baltimore hospital says it 'failed' after shocking video emerges of patient being left on street
Video Reportedly Shows Woman In Hospital Gown Left On Street By Baltimore ER Staff

This is unconscionable.

We simply must bring back more prevalent mental hospitals. I know for so many people it brings back horrid images of people chained to walls and other awful pictures, but in the 21st century, certainly it is more humane than treating people in the ER and leaving them on the street in thin hospital gowns.

A warm bed, people to care for you, good medicine, warm food to eat, and therapists to treat you is so much preferable to this. Heartbreaking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is unconscionable.

We simply must bring back more prevalent mental hospitals. I know for so many people it brings back horrid images of people chained to walls and other awful pictures, but in the 21st century, certainly it is more humane than treating people in the ER and leaving them on the street in thin hospital gowns.

A warm bed, people to care for you, good medicine, warm food to eat, and therapists to treat you is so much preferable to this. Heartbreaking.
I agree and another problem are those who are incarcerated over and over again in dangerous prisons and jails.
There is approximately 1 million mentally ill people incarcerated in prisons and jails across the country. Many are in jail for things like petty thief, trespassing, sleeping in public places, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟961,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have yet to hear the details of the hospital's side of the story. Of course, HIPAA prevents them from telling all about it. I suspect it could more complicated than we know. Hospitals don't hold us captive. We can sign ourselves out against medical advice at any time, assuming we aren't under arrest or under a mental health hold for assessment. We don't know if staff worked for an hour to get the patient dressed and she refused and insisted on leaving. Joint Commission accreditation standards say it's a patient's right to refuse treatment and medication. If you sign yourself out AMA, the hospital's lawyer is still going to want you to give them a ride out of the hospital in a wheel chair to prevent liability from a fall, etc. This situations sounds awful on the surface of things, but I'm not going to rush to judgment. I'd like to know more details about the matter, which I suspect we will never totally know. Sometimes you just can't protect someone from themselves.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
As i mentioned earlier in a post, i know that hospital. And i HAVE intervened, many times.

What would you have done if you saw this woman standing/sitting out there in the freezing cold with only a hospital gown on, and not even any shoes?

In that case, of course I would "intervene," because although I am cynical of humanity, I value human life.

However, this hospital set up the conditions for the necessity of intervention in the first place. Why would they put someone out on the cold street in the night? Protocol? Money?

It had to be some reason other than humanity, because if that is humane, then the human race has a problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree. Was this woman willing to get dressed. I know with my mom. They kept her in the hospital for a month. Because they were worried, that she couldn't get around good enough. Wanted her to go to a rehab place. They kept trying to get her in rehab for 2 weeks. But my dad doesn't want to waist money on pesky things like insurance. So they didn't have insurance. (But they have the best TV's and DVD , and 3 D crap, It's very nice).
And he makes to much to get medical. Well they got my dad and myself on board and had a medical van to drive her home. And got some equipment to help her. I live in liberal CA. They ended up taking care of the bill. Because of Inland Regional Center. Who know what would have happen if she didn't live in CA. I don't know what this hospital and city can afford. I don't know all the facts. But I do know other cities or states, that don't want to deal with the poor or mental illness. They send their patients to other cities or states to deal with the problem. This hospital only took her to a bus station. At least they didn't send her to CA.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Can people not assume this lady was mentally ill; she may have been or she may have been medicated to some extent.

Don't assume and don't speculate; she is entitled to medical confidentiality.

Either way, leaving her on the street was appalling.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
...except there's plenty of examples of mistreatment and lack of empathy in not-for-profit versions as well. If the stories out of Canada and UK don't convince you, try those out of Cuba and Venezuela.

Leave the UK out of this one, thanks muchly.

• Agree
Upvote 0