✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 10:36 - a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'
Ephesians 6:2 - "Honor your father and mother"--which is the first commandment with a promise--

Can anyone explain me how can one honor father and mother when they are the enemies of his own household? It seems difficult to put in practice.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Ephesians 6:2 - "Honor your father and mother"--which is the first commandment with a promise--

Can anyone explain me how can one honor father and mother when they are the enemies of his own household? It seems difficult to put in practice.
Cant speak from experience because my parents were excellent.
I think some people who grow up in very dysfunctional families, it is almost impossible to honor their mother and father. When both are drug addicts for example. I think if you have an alcoholic father, you just need to be the adult for them. Set very clear boundaries. Honor them as humans beings who possibly tried their best under the circumstances. I don't know.

Reactions: Lord'sWarrior
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

First of all, it isn't a blanket statement... meaning, he isn't saying this will be the case for all of His people all the time.

Second... the words "own household" is key. This is not a young man living at home and his parents are on him all the time. Because it says, "his OWN household" then this is speaking about a man who has left his parent and now has others under his authority... wife, children, servants, etc.

Third... even if this was tied to his parents... (which in this case of this verse I don't believe is the point).... the idea of "honor" means "to place great WEIGHT on."How could you "honor" a parent who stands against you, your faith... your family? By not demeaning them by taking that position... by turning the other cheek and walking away without hurting them.

Remember these verses:

Matt. 5:23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you,
Matt. 5:24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.

Most read this wrong... it isn't that you had something against him and are going to make it right... the brother has something AGAINST YOU and God expects YOU to go make it right with HIM. :) What a plate of humble pie that is, right? :)

Anyway.... I don't think the verse you shared is including parents because they are not under their child's authority... it would have been written "their household" not "his household." But even if it was... you can tell them you love them and walk away and that does not dishonor them.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Yes, it is difficult in many circumstances. Just because there is a commandment doesn't mean we have the ability to fulfill it.

Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
First of all, it isn't a blanket statement... meaning, he isn't saying this will be the case for all of His people all the time.

Second... the words "own household" is key. This is not a young man living at home and his parents are on him all the time. Because it says, "his OWN household" then this is speaking about a man who has left his parent and now has others under his authority... wife, children, servants, etc.

Third... even if this was tied to his parents... (which in this case of this verse I don't believe is the point).... the idea of "honor" means "to place great WEIGHT on."How could you "honor" a parent who stands against you, your faith... your family? By not demeaning them by taking that position... by turning the other cheek and walking away without hurting them.

Remember these verses:

Matt. 5:23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you,
Matt. 5:24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.

Most read this wrong... it isn't that you had something against him and are going to make it right... the brother has something AGAINST YOU and God expects YOU to go make it right with HIM. :) What a plate of humble pie that is, right? :)

Anyway.... I don't think the verse you shared is including parents because they are not under their child's authority... it would have been written "their household" not "his household." But even if it was... you can tell them you love them and walk away and that does not dishonor them.
What about this -> a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law, so that a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.

It seems he's talking about father and mother...

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What about this -> a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law, so that a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.

It seems he's talking about father and mother...
That doesn't change my point. We are to love even our enemy but above all honor (place great weight on) our parents. They can come against us... that doesn't mean we turn and fight. Yeshua said (I quoted this above) that if a brother has something against you.. that you should go reconcile with him. That is a hard and humiliating thing.. but it is in harmony with the heart of God. The God who extends mercy even to the worst sinners.... the ones we usually turn from.

Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That doesn't change my point. We are to love even our enemy but above all honor (place great weight on) our parents. They can come against us... that doesn't mean we turn and fight. Yeshua said (I quoted this above) that if a brother has something against you.. that you should go reconcile with him. That is a hard and humiliating thing.. but it is in harmony with the heart of God. The God who extends mercy even to the worst sinners.... the ones we usually turn from.
I'm not saying we should mistreat our parents. But when a person doesn't want to talk about things that they might have against us, there is no type of reconciliation. When a person turns away and doesn't talk to you, what can you do? How can a person honor a parent if he or she doesn't even talk to us? It's easier said than done. And I'm not advocating violence or retaliation. But a person has to put up with it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not saying we should mistreat our parents. But when a person doesn't want to talk about things that they might have against us, there is no type of reconciliation. When a person turns away and doesn't talk to you, what can you do? How can a person honor a parent if he or she doesn't even talk to us? It's easier said than done. And I'm not advocating violence or retaliation. But a person has to put up with it.
Of course... if a brother has something against you... you are expected to try to make it right. If he won't listen you can't force him and you will have done what the Lord asked. It is then on the other guy to get right.

As for honoring a parent that doesn't want to talk... then don't talk... in other words... if you reach out and they won't receive, it is better to say nothing (leaving them with an, "I love you") then to push the matter and end up saying things you will not only regret but would perhaps cross the line of not placing great weight on them.

Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Of course... if a brother has something against you... you are expected to try to make it right. If he won't listen you can't force him and you will have done what the Lord asked. It is then on the other guy to get right.

As for honoring a parent that doesn't want to talk... then don't talk... in other words... if you reach out and they won't receive, it is better to say nothing (leaving them with an, "I love you") then to push the matter and end up saying things you will not only regret but would perhaps cross the line of not placing great weight on them.
Yeah. You're right. It's just though to be on the end of rejection.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah. You're right. It's just though to be on the end of rejection.
It's the worst... but in our darkest times (and what can be darker than having family come against you) we have to be the brightest light. :)

• Agree
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi guerrier,

Well, I'm of a slightly different mind as to what 'honor' means. I'm not sure that it does necessarily mean that we should always obey our parents. However, just like when Daniel dealt with King Nebuchadnezzar, even in disobedience, Daniel honored the position of the king. I think God is commanding the same thing of children. You don't have to always obey, although if their requests and teachings are righteous, then yes, by all means we should, but we must always honor them by our respect and love for them for who they are.

Yes, even when one comes to faith in the Lord, Jesus, when our parents may be dead set against our decision, we must honor them for who they are.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

"Honor" doesn't mean "blindly do everything they tell you and agree with everything they say."

God comes first, and that includes being put before family. You can disagree with your parents and disobey them if they try to get you to do something that goes against God's Word. But you can always have a respectful and loving attitude towards them, even when disagreeing.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Honor" doesn't mean "blindly do everything they tell you and agree with everything they say."

Right... the word means to place weight on... which can be done at a respectful distance if they desire to take a position against you.

H3513
כּבד / כּבד
kâbad / kâbêd
BDB Definition:
1) to be heavy, be weighty, be grievous, be hard, be rich, be honourable, be glorious, be burdensome, be honoured

Upvote 0