Honey Bee's and CCD?

Sep 10, 2010
✟8,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really dont have any input on this subject but was just wondering if any one has heard of any actual noticeable harmful effects of what scientists are calling CCD. I have read a number of articles on this, with one of them stating that the human race is at stake with the long term effects of this CCD. (exaggeration I am sure) Here is just one article of many on the net but I cannot seem to find any articles that actually tell of the repercussions from CCD as of yet.

Sep 10, 2010
✟8,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really dont have any input on this subject but was just wondering if any one has heard of any actual noticeable harmful effects of what scientists are calling CCD. I have read a number of articles on this, with one of them stating that the human race is at stake with the long term effects of this CCD. (exaggeration I am sure) Here is just one article of many on the net but I cannot seem to find any articles that actually tell of the repercussions from CCD as of yet.

Posted this back a ways. Been reading some info on this and there seems to be quite the contrast in the stories. There is this one which seems extreme on the positive side and this one which seems extreme on the negative side. If honey bees become extinct, human society will follow in four years." Albert Einstein. Considering there is hardly anything really spoken of on this matter, I gather its not a concern?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2010
✟8,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are interested in a question of science, avoid blogs and the science press.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/br/ccd/ccdprogressreport2010.pdf

Thank you, that link is more informative than most I was looking at. I am guessing we are not going to know how the bees did in 2010 until around May of this year.
From your link
"beekeepers are being evaluated in the winter of 2009-2010 and
again in 2012. This will provide critical information about how well scientists and beekeepers
are able to improve the needs of the bee industry."

Looks like pesticides are the main culprit though.

This from the link was a bit troubling.

Colony Losses Remain at High Levels, Similar to Previous Two Beekeeping Seasons
. ARS
scientists and the Apiary Inspectors of America surveyed U.S. honey bee colonies and estimated
total losses, from a variety of causes, to be more than 29 percent from the fall of 2008 through
winter of 2009, representing absolute colony losses ranging from 580,000 to 770,000 hives. The
2009-2010 data indicate losses of approximately 34 percent. These data indicate a statistically
similar loss rate to the 31 percent and 36 percent losses recorded during the 2006-2007 and
2007-2008 seasons, respectively. The 2008-2009 colony loss survey appeared in a special issue
of the Journal of Apicultural Research (January 2010), and a preliminary report of the 2009-2010

study was released in May 2010.

Not sure where I read it but I heard in Britain and the Netherlands its even worse. Does this mean rising food prices?

Upvote 0

Blayz

Aug 1, 2007
Singapore
✟4,827.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Does this mean rising food prices?

I am no expert, but it appears to me that CCD is causing over all a greater colony loss than without CCD, but regardless colony loss has always happened over winter, and there have been previous periods of history where there has been a spike in loss. It looks as though colony numbers are regained over summer (otherwise there'd be no bees left at all), so it comes down to what is the extra cost in creating the extra hives versus the "normal" cost of recreating the extra hives, and how does that translate into higher food prices.

I don't have any answer.

Upvote 0