Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The well-preserved skullcap, found in the Chinese city of Harbin, is between 138,000 and 309,000 years old, according to geochemical analysis, and it combines primitive features, such as a broad nose and low brow and braincase, with those that are more similar to Homo sapiens, including flat and delicate cheekbones.

Three papers detailing the find were published in the journal The Innovation on Friday.
"The Harbin skull is the most important fossil I've seen in 50 years. It shows how important East Asia and China is in telling the human story," said Chris Stringer, research leader in human origins at The Natural History Museum in London and coauthor of the research.

I thought this was the most interesting part. Both as a story, and whether it raises any questions of provenance. I'm sure scientists would have preferred seeing it in situ, but the time and the place may have made that impossible.

The Harbin cranium was discovered in 1933 by an anonymous Chinese man when a bridge was built over the Songhua River in Harbin, according to one of the studies in The Innovation. At the time, that part of China was under Japanese occupation, and the man who found it took it home and stored it at the bottom of a well for safekeeping.

"Instead of passing the cranium to his Japanese boss, he buried it in an abandoned well, a traditional Chinese method of concealing treasures," according to the study.

The third generation of the man's family only learned about his secret discovery before his death and recovered the fossil from the well in 2018. Qiang Ji, one of the authors of the research, heard about the skull and convinced the family to donate it to the Geoscience Museum of Hebei GEO University.

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,447.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The well-preserved skullcap, found in the Chinese city of Harbin, is between 138,000 and 309,000 years old, according to geochemical analysis, and it combines primitive features, such as a broad nose and low brow and braincase, with those that are more similar to Homo sapiens, including flat and delicate cheekbones.

Three papers detailing the find were published in the journal The Innovation on Friday.
"The Harbin skull is the most important fossil I've seen in 50 years. It shows how important East Asia and China is in telling the human story," said Chris Stringer, research leader in human origins at The Natural History Museum in London and coauthor of the research.

I thought this was the most interesting part. Both as a story, and whether it raises any questions of provenance. I'm sure scientists would have preferred seeing it in situ, but the time and the place may have made that impossible.

The Harbin cranium was discovered in 1933 by an anonymous Chinese man when a bridge was built over the Songhua River in Harbin, according to one of the studies in The Innovation. At the time, that part of China was under Japanese occupation, and the man who found it took it home and stored it at the bottom of a well for safekeeping.

"Instead of passing the cranium to his Japanese boss, he buried it in an abandoned well, a traditional Chinese method of concealing treasures," according to the study.

The third generation of the man's family only learned about his secret discovery before his death and recovered the fossil from the well in 2018. Qiang Ji, one of the authors of the research, heard about the skull and convinced the family to donate it to the Geoscience Museum of Hebei GEO University.

I wonder whats with the massive brow ridge of some
species of Homo.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2010
United Kingdom
✟227,139.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Quite a few ancient human remains have been found in recent years that combine archaic and modern features.

Hopefully they'll be able to get some ancient DNA from the specimen, which would tell us much about it's relationship to us and the Denisovans. But, given that it was kept at the bottom of a well for decades, I'm not hopeful.

Proteins tend to be better preserved than DNA, although they wouldn't provide as much information.

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I wonder whats with the massive brow ridge of some
species of Homo.
Reading a palaeolithic equivalent of CF and striking their heads with amazement at some of the comments and attitudes revealed therein.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,447.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Quite a few ancient human remains have been found in recent years that combine archaic and modern features.

Hopefully they'll be able to get some ancient DNA from the specimen, which would tell us much about it's relationship to us and the Denisovans. But, given that it was kept at the bottom of a well for decades, I'm not hopeful.

Proteins tend to be better preserved than DNA, although they wouldn't provide as much information.
Well may have been dry

Upvote 0