Homeless veterans who choose to be homeless.

Contrecoup

Jun 2, 2014
✟15,128.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Always check your sources. It is a fairly common American right wing talking point to assert that homeless people want to be homeless. Specifically, this is purported as their preferred way to live.

This is done with the express purpose of allowing their politicians to be relived of addressing the issue of homelessness, and justifying votes against funding for the homeless.

I am sure there is at least one person somewhere who wants to be homeless. You can probably find one person who has any random belief you can devise. But just check your source, and ask yourself if it makes sense.

In some cases, it will not, as with this one.

• Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Always check your sources. It is a fairly common American right wing talking point to assert that homeless people want to be homeless. Specifically, this is purported as their preferred way to live.

This is done with the express purpose of allowing their politicians to be relived of addressing the issue of homelessness, and justifying votes against funding for the homeless.

I am sure there is at least one person somewhere who wants to be homeless. You can probably find one person who has any random belief you can devise. But just check your source, and ask yourself if it makes sense.

Yeah, or what do they define as "want" to be homeless, you see many that rather be homeless then on welfare or such, but not sure I call that want too, they probably be happy with a job or something rather then homeless.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,675.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Some people are homeless because they are to proud to ask for help.

Some are homeless because of circumstances out of their control.

I bet there are very little who choose being homeless because it is awesome, though.

• Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

This source is one that talks to veterans all day as her job. She interviews them with a series of questions. One of those questions asks if they are homeless. She has a government job which means she votes the Democrat party line like her union tells her to. She's also black, so you do the math on who she probably votes for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps make them join a program to help integrate them back into society. Or take them to some survival camp. I suppose that could be part of them program.

She works at a VA hospital doing admissions. Its possible veterans lie to her about why they are homeless. Maybe saying they choose to be is a matter of pride when they actually have a lack of options. I don't know. Just thought it was interesting.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
She works at a VA hospital doing admissions. Its possible veterans lie to her about why they are homeless. Maybe saying they choose to be is a matter of pride when they actually have a lack of options. I don't know. Just thought it was interesting.

Why don't think go to a homeless shelter then? And if they aren't enough, or they aren't good enough, why don't we spend more on them.

It just confuses me why this is a problem.

Upvote 0

dlaw7566

Mar 21, 2012
✟30,663.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was talking to a lady who works at the VA hospital and she said many homeless veterans choose to be that way because that is how they lived when they were in the special forces. How should society handle such people?

Was this after she watched Rambo? You might want to give consideration to exactly what percentage of veterans were special forces and of that population, how many are homeless. I think you will find that that number probably doesn't add up to "many".

Also what does this statement even mean? I didn't know begging for change and living in a cardboard box was something that special forces did. Are you suggesting that they are out in the woods living off the land?

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This source is one that talks to veterans all day as her job. She interviews them with a series of questions. One of those questions asks if they are homeless. She has a government job which means she votes the Democrat party line like her union tells her to. She's also black, so you do the math on who she probably votes for.

The plural of anecdote is anecdotes not evidence, if she has a reason to promote certain things, or confirmation bias can effect alot of Data, I'm not inclined to accept one persons claims even if they were true and project it to everyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The plural of anecdote is anecdotes not evidence, if she has a reason to promote certain things, or confirmation bias can effect alot of Data, I'm not inclined to accept one persons claims even if they were true and project it to everyone.

I hope you never go to see a doctor.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hope you never go to see a doctor.

ironic you say that, because the three most dangerous words a doctor can say is, "In my experience." which can lead alot of doctors to use bad procedures or medicine over good ones because of confirmation bias and such.

Upvote 0

Ruthie24

Apr 15, 2014
USA
✟16,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was talking to a lady who works at the VA hospital and she said many homeless veterans choose to be that way because that is how they lived when they were in the special forces. How should society handle such people?

This is an absolute lie. I've worked with Vets for years (homeless and not). NONE of them ever wanted to be homeless. The VA has a horrible reputation and what they are doing to our VETS is illegal and immoral. This woman SHOULD NOT be working at the VA because she is obviously extremely biased against our veterans. They should be prosecuted for allowing these fine men and women to die on their so called 'waiting list'.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Why don't think go to a homeless shelter then? And if they aren't enough, or they aren't good enough, why don't we spend more on them.

It just confuses me why this is a problem.
'They', the corporations and the government don't care, and are not funded to care. They fund things to make money from them, not from what is right, nor compassion.
Since 'nam, for example, the va has never , to my knowledge/ publicly known, ever told veterans suffering from ao exposure what to do for relief/pain. Instead, they just give tx every month for decades, and the troubles/pain continues.

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Vets are homeless for exactly the same reasons other people are homeless. Financial insecurity, joblessness, mental illness, drug addiction, too proud, too obstinate and etc.

We will never solve homelessness because some people consistently make poor decisions, yet they are not violent - so we can't commit them. We can make it better, but we can't seem to agree on a plan of action and commit to it.

Americans are too wary of being taken advantage of by frauds and lazy people. We give grudgingly with one hand while creating more obstacles to receive help with the other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I can only speak for the city where I live (Seattle) they have very lax homeless laws and homeless people are allowed to set up camps in public places, and a lot of drugs are sold and used in those camps. Every now and then when business complain enough about the sanitation issues, the city will do a “homeless sweep” by removing all the tents and forcing them to leave and go away. Every time they have one of these homeless sweeps, they are offered shelter and usually approx 1% of these people will accept the shelter when offered; the rest will just set up camp somewhere else and the cycle continues. The reasons most don’t want shelter is because shelter requires they make an effort to get off their drug of choice and get clean so most would rather live in tents and do drugs. I can’t say that is how it is everywhere, but that is what’s going on in my city. I don't know how many of these homeless people are vets, but I suspect homless veterans behave the same as any non veteran homeless

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am aware of the case of a homeless veteran in Toronto. We found him an apartment. During the day he was content indoors but at night, in every sort of weather, he slept on the balcony.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I can only speak for the city where I live (Seattle) they have very lax homeless laws and homeless people are allowed to set up camps in public places, and a lot of drugs are sold and used in those camps. Every now and then when business complain enough about the sanitation issues, the city will do a “homeless sweep” by removing all the tents and forcing them to leave and go away. Every time they have one of these homeless sweeps, they are offered shelter and usually approx 1% of these people will accept the shelter when offered; the rest will just set up camp somewhere else and the cycle continues. The reasons most don’t want shelter is because shelter requires they make an effort to get off their drug of choice and get clean so most would rather live in tents and do drugs. I can’t say that is how it is everywhere, but that is what’s going on in my city. I don't know how many of these homeless people are vets, but I suspect homless veterans behave the same as any non veteran homeless
Similar to this is reported in many cities, including one of the largest most successful homeless 'towns' (in treehouses) in Hawaii, built on property given to them for that purpose.

The authorities burned it to the ground. (it was on pbs/ oeta or another documentary)

In some cities in California and on the East Coast, mayors or governors went on television to explain their own form of "clean-up" when they arrested the homeless and offered them either JAIL, or to live in a fema camp outside of town. -- they could leave the camp, but had to make an 'appointment' to do so..... etc etc

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ironic you say that, because the three most dangerous words a doctor can say is, "In my experience." which can lead alot of doctors to use bad procedures or medicine over good ones because of confirmation bias and such.

There is no profession that is as mixed up as healthcare. :confused:

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Ditto for my city. The homeless have their own little culture going and want no part of anything else. And yes, there is a lot of mental illness among them. That said they are a messy nuisance but generally harmless. Winter finds that many have gone south for the season.

Upvote 0