West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well...if it's serious enough to fire a gun, it's serious enough to use real bullets.
If the bad guy shoots back, they WON'T be blanks.

And if a kid can get ahold of it, you're not qualified to be a gun owner.

you would be surprised at how many suicides of children are from their parents guns. Even if they lock them up in a safe, they hang the keys on the wall easy access. But if you do choose to have a concealed permit, or to use a firearm in the home, you should think about your liabilities. If you kill someone that did not pose a threat, many states will convict you of murder even if they were trespassing on your property. Read this document:

6ThingsYouDidntKnow about self defense-gun.pdf

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
you would be surprised at how many suicides of children are from their parents guns. Even if they lock them up in a safe, they hang the keys on the wall easy access. But if you do choose to have a concealed permit, or to use a firearm in the home, you should think about your liabilities. If you kill someone that did not pose a threat, many states will convict you of murder even if they were trespassing on your property. Read this document:

6ThingsYouDidntKnow about self defense-gun.pdf

Thank you for your concerns.

Your link is very informative. The USCCA is a good outfit, and I've been a customer of theirs for a couple of years now.

My wife is a lawyer and we frequently discuss the legal aspects of self-defense and the use of deadly force. She and I have also covered them with our kids (now in their 20s), and I refresh their memories about them whenever a good news story comes along which exposes the fine points of these laws.

I'm not surprised about kids suicides. Two-thirds of ALL shooting deaths in the USA are suicides.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark&Mary

Jun 21, 2019
Gilmer County, West Virginia
✟7,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Anyone who cannot keep their handgun's bullets in a 12" circle at 20 foot is not competent with it. I can easily do that at twice the distance with my 1911. A friend uses his 357 magnum revolver to hunt deer at 100 yards. So enough with the nonsense that handguns are inaccurate. The PERSON is inaccurate with it and simply has no skill with the tool. A 12" group is tight enough to bring down a threat, which is the whole idea. As far as the OP, I would not kill a woman who broke into my house, but I would zip-tie her until I determined the threat to the family. If there were no threat, I would feed her and drop her off zip-tied at a remote location 30 miles away.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Anyone who cannot keep their handgun's bullets in a 12" circle at 20 foot is not competent with it. I can easily do that at twice the distance with my 1911. A friend uses his 357 magnum revolver to hunt deer at 100 yards. So enough with the nonsense that handguns are inaccurate. The PERSON is inaccurate with it and simply has no skill with the tool. A 12" group is tight enough to bring down a threat, which is the whole idea. As far as the OP, I would not kill a woman who broke into my house, but I would zip-tie her until I determined the threat to the family. If there were no threat, I would feed her and drop her off zip-tied at a remote location 30 miles away.
12" group at 20'? that is wide enough to miss the target entirely and hit the little innocent daughter behind him. Like I said I recommend a russian made target pistol for people who can't shoot a hand gun accurately. And due to the short barrell, it's is fairly obvious they are not made for accuracy. If they were, they would include a larger barrel and rifling.

Upvote 0

Mark&Mary

Jun 21, 2019
Gilmer County, West Virginia
✟7,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
With all due respect, you haven't the slightest idea of what you are talking about on this issue. I'm not claiming that you are a bad person, just that you are completely ignorant on this subject and that you just don't want to admit it. You are arguing things that have been disproven for over 100 years. "Larger barrel and rifling"? Russian guns? Really? On any gun forum your statements would be held up as an example for ridicule. Many special forces today go with 4" or less barrels using 9mm ammo, not 5" long barrels or larger 45ACP ammo. I own LOTS of guns and reload my own ammo. Member at my local gun club. I DO know what I am talking about. And know that you do NOT.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And due to the short barrell, it's is fairly obvious they are not made for accuracy. If they were, they would include a larger barrel and rifling.

ALL modern handguns (1898 and later) have rifled barrels. In fact, they are illegal if they don't, because smooth-bore barrels are considered "shotguns", and shotgun barrels must be 18" or longer (unless it's licensed as an NFA weapon).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
With all due respect, you haven't the slightest idea of what you are talking about on this issue. I'm not claiming that you are a bad person, just that you are completely ignorant on this subject and that you just don't want to admit it. You are arguing things that have been disproven for over 100 years. "Larger barrel and rifling"? Russian guns? Really? On any gun forum your statements would be held up as an example for ridicule. Many special forces today go with 4" or less barrels using 9mm ammo, not 5" long barrels or larger 45ACP ammo. I own LOTS of guns and reload my own ammo. Member at my local gun club. I DO know what I am talking about. And know that you do NOT.

ALL modern handguns (1898 and later) have rifled barrels. In fact, they are illegal if they don't, because smooth-bore barrels are considered "shotguns", and shotgun barrels must be 18" or longer (unless it's licensed as an NFA weapon).

I was saying a 20' target as you mention. Special forces using a 4" barrel typically have semi autos which can plant several bullets or even full autos. So that does not work for the typical home defense. The best gun for home defense is the AR. Most gun magazines and forums acknowledge this. However I can see you are offended. I am just saying shooting someone in the house can get you put in prison in my state. Even if they are tresspassing, evendors if they are bad guys, criminals you name it. If you cannot provery they threate new you via some video footage or what ever it's you word again theirs and you could be slapped with manslaughter charges. So being accurate is very important, not to mention you can miss your target. But anyway. If someone wants to see the rest I post on this just read the thread. But I will not talk to people who say...."with all due respect....you are unintelligent but your a nice guy". We all know that you didn't mean the " with all due respect part" that much is clear. So I think I am done here. This thread is dead anyway without my input.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The best gun for home defense is the AR. Most gun magazines and forums acknowledge this.

The ballistics of an AR (or any strong rifle or shotgun) are better for home defense than a typical handgun, no doubt. But handguns have the advantage of being short (harder for an attacker to grab) and small (easier to maneuver), so...it depends where you are and what you're doing.

If you cannot prove they threaten you via some video footage or what ever it's your word again theirs and you could be slapped with manslaughter charges.

Fortunately, my state presumes that anyone breaking into your house has hostile intentions;
they're not selling girl-scout cookies.

This thread is dead anyway without my input.

Really? You are the only worthy poster here?

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone who cannot keep their handgun's bullets in a 12" circle at 20 foot is not competent with it.
If your shooting a squirrel a 12 inch circle means you missed. I have a soft pellet gun. If I can see a squirrel up in the trees somewhere I can most likely hit it. Even at 100 feet.

Upvote 0

jereom

Apr 23, 2020
Round Rock
✟15,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Stuff has hit the fan and it’s 3am when you hear a noise coming from your kitchen. You grab your gun and move to ambush the intruder. Upon entering the kitchen you find a very beautiful lady rummaging through your pantry. She immediately starts begging for food and says that she will do anything if you help her. The lady states that she is alone, but you really don't know if there is a male counterpart waiting in the shadows somewhere. If you feed her and send her on her way, she may tell others you have food. If others come they may kill you and your family and take what they want. Should you invite her into your home and take on another mouth to feed? Maybe just put a bullet in her head and kick her into burn pit out back? That would solve all the problems but then you would be a murderer. Or could you consider this self defense, since she has the potential to cause future grave harm to your family. You can’t really send her away since she has seen your stockpile of food and you have only enough for you and your family. What would you do?

I will shoot first. It doesn't matter if it is a man, woman or if they are ugly or pretty. If you break into my house you will be shot.

Where as if you wait till the day and ask me for food like a civilized person would then I would probably hand you a little.

Also when people break into your home to steal your food they are basically saying that it is better for your family to starve than for them to starve.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jereom

Apr 23, 2020
Round Rock
✟15,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also this question is rather silly.

You mention that the person is a beautiful woman. Should that matter?

For instance is a woman's life more important than a man's life?

Or is an ugly person's life less than an attractive person's life?

Upvote 0