Nikti

Jul 9, 2015
Australia
✟15,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So I know of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre as the place of the death and Resurrection but didn't know this happened every year!

2c5c7789a5f943792b7c5335c2206bc0.jpg

1) how amazing is it?! Anyone had the privilege of seeing the ceremony and the Holy Fire in person?

2) why have I not seen or heard more about it around in other Christian circles?! Literally just found out this morning that such a thing exists.

Reactions: seashale76

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
why have I not seen or heard more about it around in other Christian circles?! Literally just found out this morning that such a thing exists.

haha, I remember thinking this way when I found out about it. the Orthodox have many public, yearly miracles

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
haha, I remember thinking this way when I found out about it. the Orthodox have many public, yearly miracles
And ditto ... I felt exactly the same way, and then was just as surprised to hear about the cloud on Mt. Tabor, the reversal of the Jordan at Theophany, Panagia's snakes ...

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And they all occur according to the old calendar :)
Here's hoping the calendar issue gets sorted next year.
I must have heard something wrongly then. Someone wrote (I think it was a blog post, I THINK about the snakes) that it was according to the New. Which was actually odd the way they made it sound - but what do I know?

I do wish we were all on the same calendar. Though - when I'm in a big city it means extra opportunities to attend the Divine Liturgy. But I was thinking a few weeks ago what that means as far as following the liturgical year, and I suppose it's not good ...

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I must have heard something wrongly then. Someone wrote (I think it was a blog post, I THINK about the snakes) that it was according to the New. Which was actually odd the way they made it sound - but what do I know?

I think he means the miracles in the Holy Land. The snakes of the Church of the Virgin in Cephalonia occur August 15 new style. Although I imagine they arrived old calendar at one time as the miracle predates the calendar change

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think he means the miracles in the Holy Land. The snakes of the Church of the Virgin in Cephalonia occur August 15 new style. Although I imagine they arrived old calendar at one time as the miracle predates the calendar change
Hmmmm. Just a bit more confusion. I did not realize these things. Somehow I find it fitting though if some appear according to old calendar, and some according to new - just given the fact that I don't believe any of the Church is outside of the grace of God over such an issue. But I don't know that much about it.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ah, I wasn't aware of when the snakes appeared, only the miracles which occur in Jerusalem, Mt Tabor and the Jordan river. My own church is on the revised Julian calendar, but I would happily return to the old calendar despite the difficulties it would cause with the dates of holidays on the secular calendar. I believe the liturgical unity across the Orthodox Church would be worth any difficulties that arise. Plus the post Christmas sales are a bonus :D

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I thought you were new calendar, Prodromos. :)

Buzuxi, that makes a great deal of sense if the miracles occur on schedule with the calendar of the locals. I could make extrapolations but that could be dangerous. Best not.

I agree it would be good to be unified in this. Only one thing - this is my first real Nativity Fast (I was a bit out of touch and often out of town last year) and. you're. suggesting. it. would. continue. into. the. second. week. of. January?!!!?

I'm surprisingly not struggling with the fast itself really, but I also know it ends on Dec. 25 Christmas. With no one in my family being Orthodox - keeping it up into January would be - maybe not even good for family relations. My birthday is within that period as well ...

Of course, I'm not suggesting my own trivialities take precedence over the Church. It would take some getting used to though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well the fast would start 13 days later as well. I think for most cradles it would easier as they usually don't fast till final week of christmas. Meaning the younger generation doesn't even fast then as they all are invited to secular Christmas parties.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It is 40 days. But the cradles are so lax with fasting and throw in the "holiday" parties they are invited to. So having the final week of the fast after all the secular festivities eliminates all the temptations. In the U.S., there is that thanksgiving falls on Lent but will usually fall right before lent on old calendar.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, everyone pretty much took it as ok to have Thanksgiving Day (at least the people I ate with) but they did have the Church Luncheon for Thanksgiving at the beginning of November, saying that many wouldn't eat if they waited until the fast began. Leftovers went to non-Orthodox friends. We do have a Christmas meal together at Church tomorrow, but it has to be Lenten.

I don't know. Father says the expectation is that we will keep it, barring any medical complication. I do know we are not supposed to be ungracious guests. But any conversation I hear on the topic seems to presume everyone will observe fasts. Mostly any conversation directed to me is to make sure I understand how it works. :)

Maybe it depends on the parish?

Upvote 0