Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I ran across this not too long ago, but it's totally thrown me upside down (or perhaps rightside up?). Can someone confirm this? I feel like tossing some of my bibles out now.

Gospel Book - OrthodoxWiki

"Traditionally, the Orthodox will never cover the Gospel Book in leather—the skin of a dead animal—because the words of Christ are considered to be life-giving. Animal skins are also reminiscent of the Fall of Man, when God fashioned garments of skin for Adam and Eve after their disobedience Genesis 3:21). The Apostle Paul speaks of Christ being the "New Adam" (1 Corinthians 15:22,47-49), and the Orthodox understand Christ as coming to clothe mankind in the original "garments of light" which Adam and Eve lost in Paradise. Traditionally, the Gospel is covered in gold, the earthly element which is best symbolizes the glory of Heaven. If gold in unavailable, the Gospel may be covered in cloth."

It also reminds me of Moses meeting the Angel of the Lord in the burning bush, and God telling him to take off his sandals, for the ground was holy (it's always been my understanding that he meant the leather on his sandals, the presence of death, was not fit for his presence).

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi straykat,

You wrote:
(it's always been my understanding that he meant the leather on his sandals, the presence of death, was not fit for his presence).

It's possible that's not the reason. If we look at the account of God's making animal skin clothing for Adam and Eve, then we do know that God doesn't actually seem to have been against killing animals for clothing. Not wearing shoes in the presence of a holy God may well just be a sign of deference and submission, much like why a man shouldn't wear a hat but a woman should have a head covering.

Just a thought.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

edit: Oops! Sorry, I didn't realize I was in the EO threads. I'm not really a part of that group Forgive me.

• Informative
Reactions: straykat
Upvote 0

peregrinus2017

Jun 17, 2017
British Columbia
✟217,468.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't think this idea holds much water. The primary material for books of all sorts at one time was vellum, made from animal skins. Having the words written on animal skins, but having issue with a cover made of same doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Codex Sinaiticus'a pages are made of animal skin so that is not exactly true. Still, the rule applies to the bible placed on the altar as the latter is preserved only for the Body of Christ. In other words you can keep your leather bound bible.

As for the sandals that Moses took off, they represent sense-perceptual notions, images and fleshly passions that the contemplative must get rid of if he is to approach God.

Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Codex Sinaiticus'a pages are made of animal skin so that is not exactly true. Still, the rule applies to the bible placed on the altar as the latter is preserved only for the Body of Christ. In other words you can keep your leather bound bible.

As for the sandals that Moses took off, they represent sense-perceptual notions, images and fleshly passions that the contemplative must get rid of if he is to approach God.

Even if that's the case, I don't think I can get this out of my head. I don't want to hamper anyone else's conscience, but mine won't let it go.

Luckily, I have some good hardcover books.

• Friendly
Reactions: icxn
Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, I'm torn even further now. After some investigation, I've found Greek and Russian bibles with leather. Maybe it simply does apply to the Gospel on the altar. It'd be a shame to throw out a $100 bible from a misunderstanding (not that money is stopping me... I just want to be sure).

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I'm torn even further now. After some investigation, I've found Greek and Russian bibles with leather. Maybe it simply does apply to the Gospel on the altar. It'd be a shame to throw out a $100 bible from a misunderstanding (not that money is stopping me... I just want to be sure).

OK,, time to finally put all this into perspective. Enough focusing on minutiae. You have a leather Bible? Use it... If you get zapped by a bolt of lightning... Take it as a sign, and use something else. Until then, obsess over something else! ;)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Funny, I just got my first (I think) real leather Bible (kind of - OT Septuagint). I'm very happy to have it. Animal skin leather as a book-binding material is acceptable. I can understand why it wouldn't be used for the Gospel in the altar in Church for liturgical use though. Gilding, precious stones, and iconography do seem more fitting in that particular case.

If Gold was the only acceptable covering for Holy Scriptures, I still wouldn't be able to own a copy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The gospel book used in the altar and taken out and kissed by the laity has a metal cover. It can have gold or silver plating, encrusted with stones and enamel. And it really is a gospel book, it only contains the 4 gospels and usually the gospel of John is placed first

Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The gospel book used in the altar and taken out and kissed by the laity has a metal cover. It can have gold or silver plating, encrusted with stones and enamel. And it really is a gospel book, it only contains the 4 gospels and usually the gospel of John is placed first

I understand, but it seems like something that applies to gospels could also apply to all of the compiled scriptures.

Although the argument earlier about altar use seems compelling.

Upvote 0