Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I've had my laptop's web browser automatically open to a Saint of the Day page for awhile now, and have sometimes posted from the lives or reflections of the saints. Today, I came across one that gave a very straightforward answer to something I struggled a lot with last year, and I suppose we'll all struggle with this throughout our lives.

My dominant question for my spiritual life last year was: Should I do religious things, or school things? Should I read my textbook or the Bible? Should I print off the notes for classes, or go to church & pray? Naturally, I've come to realize that a balance is needed; some Bible, some studying, some prayer, some other things that should be offered up as prayers. Spirituality is more important than a good grade, of course, but a good grade is still a great way to serve God. Thinking of Him as Father helps; of course your father wants you to get a good grade! If you talk to him a lot, that's great, but if talking to your father causes you to do poorly in school, dad won't be happy. Must find a balance!

But even in mundane tasks, be it homework, cleaning the bathroom, or anything, we can use it all for opportunities for holiness. Pope Francis said that every moment of every day is an opportunity for holiness; even when we're not praying, even if we're worried, we can still hand it to God and say, "Here's what I've done/will do; make something amazing happen."

The reflection for today's saint, Wolfgang of Regensburg, sums it up quite well:

"Wolfgang could be depicted as a man with rolled-up sleeves. He even tried retiring to solitary prayer, but taking his responsibilities seriously led him back into the service of his diocese. Doing what had to be done was his path to holiness—and ours."

Full article: Saint Wolfgang of Regensburg

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree finding a balance is key, but sometimes life itself has other plans. Not only does the work in our lives teach us disciple, also we're humbled when we try to do too much. My experience is when you have non-religious work needing to be done sooner than later, it's best to go ahead and give what little time you have to God. Then when you have days like the weekend having more free time, give much of it to God. Even during the week if life allows I try to do certain days of this today and that tomorrow. Better than trying to squeeze everything in single day. Idea is quality time for certain things on a day and not dividing my attention doing too many things.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've had my laptop's web browser automatically open to a Saint of the Day page for awhile now, and have sometimes posted from the lives or reflections of the saints. Today, I came across one that gave a very straightforward answer to something I struggled a lot with last year, and I suppose we'll all struggle with this throughout our lives.

My dominant question for my spiritual life last year was: Should I do religious things, or school things? Should I read my textbook or the Bible? Should I print off the notes for classes, or go to church & pray? Naturally, I've come to realize that a balance is needed; some Bible, some studying, some prayer, some other things that should be offered up as prayers. Spirituality is more important than a good grade, of course, but a good grade is still a great way to serve God. Thinking of Him as Father helps; of course your father wants you to get a good grade! If you talk to him a lot, that's great, but if talking to your father causes you to do poorly in school, dad won't be happy. Must find a balance!

But even in mundane tasks, be it homework, cleaning the bathroom, or anything, we can use it all for opportunities for holiness. Pope Francis said that every moment of every day is an opportunity for holiness; even when we're not praying, even if we're worried, we can still hand it to God and say, "Here's what I've done/will do; make something amazing happen."

The reflection for today's saint, Wolfgang of Regensburg, sums it up quite well:

"Wolfgang could be depicted as a man with rolled-up sleeves. He even tried retiring to solitary prayer, but taking his responsibilities seriously led him back into the service of his diocese. Doing what had to be done was his path to holiness—and ours."

Full article: Saint Wolfgang of Regensburg

Think of ST. Euphrosynos the Cook, who achieved holiness through his difficult work as his monastery's kitchener.

Upvote 0