History of the "Born Again Christian" movement.

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Being a history buff, and wanting to learn about the early Christians, is what lead me to my conversion to the Catholic Church. Before my conversion, I believed that all I needed to do to be "Born Again Christian" was:

1. Accept Jesus Christ as my personal savior.

2. Believe and pray to him/ asking him into my heart. (the sinners prayer)

3. Repent of my sins.

4. Join a church or religious community, if I wanted, but not necessary.

5. Have a full immersion baptisim.

6. Welcoming and receiving the Holy Spirit.

After digging and reading into early Christianity, I found that history was silent on the existence of the "born again" movement. For example, as far as my studies lead me, even the Protestant Reformers such as Martin Luther, Uldrich Zwingli and John Calvin never mentioned or even said something in formality or in passsing about the born again Christian movement in any of their writings, or if they did, I missed it.

What my studies did show me though was that It wasn't until the 19th century where the idea “born again Christian" movement made its appearance in human history, and that the "born again Christian" movement can only trace its origin back in 1909-1915.

So...... as I mentiond, being a history buff of early Christianity, I would be much interested if any believer of the born again Christian movement, could show any teachings or writings supporting the born again Christian movement prior to the 19th cent. or from the early Christians prior to the Protestant Reformation.

Thank you for your input.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being a history buff, and wanting to learn about the early Christians, is what lead me to my conversion to the Catholic Church. Before my conversion, I believed that all I needed to do to be "Born Again Christian" was:

3. Repent of my sins.

After digging and reading into early Christianity, I found that history was silent on the existence of the "born again" movement. For example, as far as my studies lead me, even the Protestant Reformers such as Martin Luther, Uldrich Zwingli and John Calvin never mentioned or even said something in formality or in passsing about the born again Christian movement in any of their writings, or if they did, I missed it.

What my studies did show me though was that It wasn't until the 19th century where the idea “born again Christian" movement made its appearance in human history, and that the "born again Christian" movement can only trace its origin back in 1909-1915.

So...... as I mentiond, being a history buff of early Christianity, I would be much interested if any believer of the born again Christian movement, could show any teachings or writings supporting the born again Christian movement prior to the 19th cent. or from the early Christians prior to the Protestant Reformation.

Keep going back in history. The farther you go back the more Evangelical you will become.

Acts chapter 2 is probably the best historical evidence of born again Christians. Which really according to Jesus in John 3 there are no other types.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

3. Repent of my sins.

I remember people were talking about being born again in 1970. A Gospel song, "Put Your Hand in the Hand," was playing on the radio. The album it was on reached #1 on the Billboard charts in Canada, and #2 in the USA.

Put Your Hand in the Hand

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

3. Repent of my sins.

John 3

1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Being a history buff, and wanting to learn about the early Christians, is what lead me to my conversion to the Catholic Church.
This is an intriguing post and I’m looking forward to see what happens, because I was born, baptized, confirmed and wed as a Catholic. But at 22 years of age, and 4 years after quitting not only The Church, but also giving up totally on God... My life changed with a born again experience which Jesus says must happen first in John, as Redleg already mentioned. So this might be an interesting and informative ride.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As has been mentioned already, you don't need to do a lot of research to find the earliest use of "born again", since Jesus Himself established it. And as far as becoming born again (i.e., saved), Acts 16:31 sums it up: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ". It's not hard.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After digging and reading into early Christianity, I found that history was silent on the existence of the "born again" movement.

1 Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2 He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”

3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again. ”

4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit b gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You c must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

9 “How can this be?” Nicodemus asked.

10 “You are Israel’s teacher,” said Jesus, “and do you not understand these things? 11 Very truly I tell you, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12 I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? 13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man. 14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15 that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.”

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. ..."

John 3 NIV
------
Everyone can learn from Christ's words continually in life, even after they've read through all 4 gospels. Including even Pope Francis, Alistair Begg, and other great preachers. This is because Christ's words are "living". They are actually continually able to teach us all through life, even when you and I are 85 years old.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
... I would be much interested if any believer of the born again Christian movement, could show any teachings or writings supporting the born again Christian ...

Is this good enough:

Jesus answered him, "Most assuredly, I tell you, unless one is born anew, he can't see the Kingdom of God." Nicodemus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb, and be born?" Jesus answered, "Most assuredly I tell you, unless one is born of water and spirit, he can't enter into the Kingdom of God! That which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Don't marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born anew.'
John 3:3-7
But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God's children, to those who believe in his name: who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
John 1:12-13
"For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel. After those days," says the Lord; "I will put my laws into their mind, I will also write them on their heart. I will be to them a God, And they will be to me a people. They will not teach every man his fellow citizen, Every man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' For all will know me, From the least of them to the greatest of them. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness. I will remember their sins and lawless deeds no more."
Hebrews 8:10-12 (Jeremiah 31:31-34)

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

3. Repent of my sins.

The born again christian movement was started by Jesus.

Jesus replied, "Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again." "How can someone be born when they are old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother's womb to be born!" Jesus answered, "Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is an intriguing post and I’m looking forward to see what happens, because I was born, baptized, confirmed and wed as a Catholic. But at 22 years of age, and 4 years after quitting not only The Church, but also giving up totally on God... My life changed with a born again experience which Jesus says must happen first in John, as Redleg already mentioned. So this might be an interesting and informative ride.
As fellow cradle Catholics (also confirmed and schooled and married Roman Catholic), we should know the response from our Catholic friends on born again. They will tell us that is water baptism.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It's really a movement that is a product of 19th century revivalism, but it has older antecedents in separatist Puritans in England and the US.

Neither Calvin nor Luther would really be examples of this kind of religion.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
As fellow cradle Catholics (also confirmed and schooled and married Roman Catholic), we should know the response from our Catholic friends on born again. They will tell us that is water baptism.
But if that happens, aren't they going to prove where 'that' doctrine started in the RC church? I mean, his whole OP was proof the Born again experience wasn't taught by anyone until recent centuries....right? So when did the RC start teaching it happens as water baptism? Or does the church really even do so? Like I said, I'm watching with true interest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
But if that happens, aren't they going to prove where 'that' doctrine started in the RC church?

I have found in my studies that historic writings of the Early Church Fathers does show it.(as I will show later in this post) Not only in the Latin/Roman Rite, but in all of the other Rites within the Catholic Church.

I mean, his whole OP was proof the Born again experience wasn't taught by anyone until recent centuries....right?

Yes, in the Evangelical formula teaching of being "born again" as I listed 1-6 on my OP, that would be correct.

So when did the RC start teaching it happens as water baptism?

As a former cradle Catholic, I am surprised you don't know this. Anyway, as far as the teachings of the Catholic Church from Sacred Scripture, we look at the following passages:

"Born Again in Water Baptism:

John 1:32 – when Jesus was baptized, He was baptized in the water and the Spirit, which descended upon Him in the form of a dove. The Holy Spirit and water are required for baptism. Also, Jesus’ baptism was not the Christian baptism He later instituted. Jesus’ baptism was instead a royal anointing of the Son of David (Jesus) conferred by a Levite (John the Baptist) to reveal Christ to Israel, as it was foreshadowed in 1 Kings 1:39 when the Son of David (Solomon) was anointed by the Levitical priest Zadok. See John 1:31; cf. Matt. 3:16; Mark 1:9; Luke 3:21.

John 3:3,5 – Jesus says, “Truly, truly, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.” When Jesus said “water and the Spirit,” He was referring to baptism (which requires the use of water, and the work of the Spirit).

John 3:22 – after teaching on baptism, John says Jesus and the disciples did what? They went into Judea where the disciples baptized. Jesus’ teaching about being reborn by water and the Spirit is in the context of baptism.

John 4:1 – here is another reference to baptism which naturally flows from Jesus’ baptismal teaching in John 3:3-5.

Acts 8:36 – the eunuch recognizes the necessity of water for his baptism. Water and baptism are never separated in the Scriptures.

Acts 10:47 – Peter says “can anyone forbid water for baptizing these people..?” The Bible always links water and baptism.

Acts 22:16 – Ananias tells Saul, “arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins.” The “washing away” refers to water baptism.

Titus 3:5-6 – Paul writes about the “washing of regeneration,” which is “poured out on us” in reference to water baptism. “Washing” (loutron) generally refers to a ritual washing with water.

Heb. 10:22 – the author is also writing about water baptism in this verse. “Having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.” Our bodies are washed with pure water in water baptism.

2 Kings 5:14 – Naaman dipped himself seven times in the Jordan, and his flesh was restored like that of a child. This foreshadows the regenerative function of baptism, by water and the Holy Spirit.

Isaiah 44:3 – the Lord pours out His water and His Spirit. Water and the Spirit are linked to baptism. The Bible never separates them.

Ezek. 36:25-27 – the Lord promises He will sprinkle us with water to cleanse us from sin and give us a new heart and spirit. Paul refers to this verse in Heb. 10:22. The teaching of Ezekiel foreshadows the salvific nature of Christian baptism instituted by Jesus and taught in John 3:5, Titus 3:5, 1 Peter 3:21 and Acts 22:16."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And from Sacred Tradition /Early Church Fathers. (ECF) (please pay close attention to the dates of these writings, its very important)

"1. “Born Again” Means Water Baptism:

For Christ also said, ‘Except ye be born again, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.’ Now, that it is impossible for those who have once been born to enter into their mothers’ wombs, is manifest to all. And how those who have sinned and repent shall escape their sins, is declared by Esaias the prophet, as I wrote above; he thus speaks: ‘Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from your souls; learn to do well…And though your sins be as scarlet, I will make them white like wool; and though they be as crimson, I will make them white as snow…And for this [rite] we have learned from the apostles this reason. Since at our birth we were born without our own knowledge or choice, by our parents coming together, and were brought up in bad habits and wicked training; in order that we may not remain the children of necessity and of ignorance, but may become the children of choice and knowledge, and may obtain in the water the remission of sins formerly committed, there is pronounced over him who chooses to be born again, and has repented of his sins, the name of God the Father and Lord of the universe; he who leads to the layer the person that is to be washed calling him by this name alone…And this washing is called illumination, because they who learn these things are illuminated in their understandings. And in the name of Jesus Christ, who was crucified under Pontius Pilate, and in the name of the Holy Ghost, who through the prophets foretold all things about Jesus, he who is illuminated is washed.” Justin Martyr, First Apology, 61 (A.D. 110-165).

“Moreover, the things proceeding from the waters were blessed by God, that this also might be a sign of men’s being destined to receive repentance and remission of sins, through the water and laver of regeneration,–as many as come to the truth, and are born again, and receive blessing from God.” Theopilus of Antioch, To Autolycus, 2:16 (A.D. 181).

” ‘And dipped himself,’ says [the Scripture], ‘seven times in Jordan.’ It was not for nothing that Naaman of old, when suffering from leprosy, was purified upon his being baptized, but it served as an indication to us. For as we are lepers in sin, we are made clean, by means of the sacred water and the invocation of the Lord, from our old transgressions; being spiritually regenerated as new-born babes, even as the Lord has declared: ‘Except a man be born again through water and the Spirit, he shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.'” Irenaeus, Fragment, 34 (A.D. 190).

“When, however, the prescript is laid down that ‘without baptism, salvation is attainable by none” (chiefly on the ground of that declaration of the Lord, who says, “Unless one be born of water, he hath not life.'” Tertullian, On Baptism, 12:1 (A.D. 203).

“But give me now your best attention, I pray you, for I wish to go back to the fountain of life, and to view the fountain that gushes with healing. The Father of immortality sent the immortal Son and Word into the world, who came to man in order to wash him with water and the Spirit; and He, begetting us again to incorruption of soul and body, breathed into us the breath (spirit) of life, and endued us with an incorruptible panoply. If, therefore, man has become immortal, he will also be God. And if he is made God by water and the Holy Spirit after the regeneration of the layer he is found to be also joint-heir with Christ after the resurrection from the dead. Wherefore I preach to this effect: Come, all ye kindreds of the nations, to the immortality of the baptism.” Hippolytus of Rome, Discourse on the Holy Theophany, 8 (A.D. 217). (source--Scripturecatholic.com)

I could give many more examples of the ECF's, but I think this should suffice.

Or does the church really even do so?

Again, as a former cradle Catholic, and with all respect, I am surprised you asked this.

Like I said, I'm watching with true interest.

Hope this post helps.

Also, if you don't mind, could I ask why you left the Catholic Church? If it is to personal of a question, I understand.

Have a Blessed Day

p.s. sorry for the long post.

• Informative
Reactions: Eloy Craft
Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

As does Sacred Scripture, and Sacred Tradition shown through the writings of the Early Church Fathers/Christians. (see post # 14)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The born again christian movement was started by Jesus.

But where in Scripture does it say to be a Born again Christian all one needs to do is.....

1. Accept Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Savior.

2. Believe and pray to him/ asking him into our hearts. (the sinners prayer)

3. Repent of our sins.

4. Join a church or religious community, if we wanted, but not necessary.

and

Or in any other early Christian writings........ say.... prior to the Protestant Reformation?

Have a Blessed day

Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Keep going back in history. The farther you go back the more Evangelical you will become.

Not trying to be dis-respectful redleg, but I couldn't disagree more, my studies of Early Church history is what led me to the Catholic Church.

Prominent Anglican clergyman that converted to Catholicism, John Henry Newman which
ultimately became a Cardinal (1801–1890) says it best:

"To be deep in history is to cease to be Protestant."

You should read his and fellow Anglican convert to Catholicism and Catholic Cardinal Henry Edward Manning's (1808–1892) writings.

Have a Blessed day

• Haha
Reactions: ICONO'CLAST
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's really a movement that is a product of 19th century revivalism, but it has older antecedents in separatist Puritans in England and the US.

Neither Calvin nor Luther would really be examples of this kind of religion.
Actually in John 3 Jesus started the movement.

However, let's be precise. The Apostles and Reformers spoke often of the New Birth and Regeneration. They just did not identify what happens spiritually with a title.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have found in my studies that historic writings of the Early Church Fathers does show it.(as I will show later in this post) Not only in the Latin/Roman Rite, but in all of the other Rites within the Catholic Church.

Yes, in the Evangelical formula teaching of being "born again" as I listed 1-6 on my OP, that would be correct.

As a former cradle Catholic, I am surprised you don't know this. Anyway, as far as the teachings of the Catholic Church from Sacred Scripture, we look at the following passages:

"Born Again in Water Baptism:

John 1:32 – when Jesus was baptized, He was baptized in the water and the Spirit, which descended upon Him in the form of a dove. The Holy Spirit and water are required for baptism. Also, Jesus’ baptism was not the Christian baptism He later instituted. Jesus’ baptism was instead a royal anointing of the Son of David (Jesus) conferred by a Levite (John the Baptist) to reveal Christ to Israel, as it was foreshadowed in 1 Kings 1:39 when the Son of David (Solomon) was anointed by the Levitical priest Zadok. See John 1:31; cf. Matt. 3:16; Mark 1:9; Luke 3:21.

John 3:3,5 – Jesus says, “Truly, truly, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.” When Jesus said “water and the Spirit,” He was referring to baptism (which requires the use of water, and the work of the Spirit).

John 3:22 – after teaching on baptism, John says Jesus and the disciples did what? They went into Judea where the disciples baptized. Jesus’ teaching about being reborn by water and the Spirit is in the context of baptism.

John 4:1 – here is another reference to baptism which naturally flows from Jesus’ baptismal teaching in John 3:3-5.

Acts 8:36 – the eunuch recognizes the necessity of water for his baptism. Water and baptism are never separated in the Scriptures.

Acts 10:47 – Peter says “can anyone forbid water for baptizing these people..?” The Bible always links water and baptism.

Acts 22:16 – Ananias tells Saul, “arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins.” The “washing away” refers to water baptism.

Titus 3:5-6 – Paul writes about the “washing of regeneration,” which is “poured out on us” in reference to water baptism. “Washing” (loutron) generally refers to a ritual washing with water.

Heb. 10:22 – the author is also writing about water baptism in this verse. “Having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.” Our bodies are washed with pure water in water baptism.

2 Kings 5:14 – Naaman dipped himself seven times in the Jordan, and his flesh was restored like that of a child. This foreshadows the regenerative function of baptism, by water and the Holy Spirit.

Isaiah 44:3 – the Lord pours out His water and His Spirit. Water and the Spirit are linked to baptism. The Bible never separates them.

Ezek. 36:25-27 – the Lord promises He will sprinkle us with water to cleanse us from sin and give us a new heart and spirit. Paul refers to this verse in Heb. 10:22. The teaching of Ezekiel foreshadows the salvific nature of Christian baptism instituted by Jesus and taught in John 3:5, Titus 3:5, 1 Peter 3:21 and Acts 22:16."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And from Sacred Tradition /Early Church Fathers. (ECF) (please pay close attention to the dates of these writings, its very important)

"1. “Born Again” Means Water Baptism:

For Christ also said, ‘Except ye be born again, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.’ Now, that it is impossible for those who have once been born to enter into their mothers’ wombs, is manifest to all. And how those who have sinned and repent shall escape their sins, is declared by Esaias the prophet, as I wrote above; he thus speaks: ‘Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from your souls; learn to do well…And though your sins be as scarlet, I will make them white like wool; and though they be as crimson, I will make them white as snow…And for this [rite] we have learned from the apostles this reason. Since at our birth we were born without our own knowledge or choice, by our parents coming together, and were brought up in bad habits and wicked training; in order that we may not remain the children of necessity and of ignorance, but may become the children of choice and knowledge, and may obtain in the water the remission of sins formerly committed, there is pronounced over him who chooses to be born again, and has repented of his sins, the name of God the Father and Lord of the universe; he who leads to the layer the person that is to be washed calling him by this name alone…And this washing is called illumination, because they who learn these things are illuminated in their understandings. And in the name of Jesus Christ, who was crucified under Pontius Pilate, and in the name of the Holy Ghost, who through the prophets foretold all things about Jesus, he who is illuminated is washed.” Justin Martyr, First Apology, 61 (A.D. 110-165).

“Moreover, the things proceeding from the waters were blessed by God, that this also might be a sign of men’s being destined to receive repentance and remission of sins, through the water and laver of regeneration,–as many as come to the truth, and are born again, and receive blessing from God.” Theopilus of Antioch, To Autolycus, 2:16 (A.D. 181).

” ‘And dipped himself,’ says [the Scripture], ‘seven times in Jordan.’ It was not for nothing that Naaman of old, when suffering from leprosy, was purified upon his being baptized, but it served as an indication to us. For as we are lepers in sin, we are made clean, by means of the sacred water and the invocation of the Lord, from our old transgressions; being spiritually regenerated as new-born babes, even as the Lord has declared: ‘Except a man be born again through water and the Spirit, he shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.'” Irenaeus, Fragment, 34 (A.D. 190).

“When, however, the prescript is laid down that ‘without baptism, salvation is attainable by none” (chiefly on the ground of that declaration of the Lord, who says, “Unless one be born of water, he hath not life.'” Tertullian, On Baptism, 12:1 (A.D. 203).

“But give me now your best attention, I pray you, for I wish to go back to the fountain of life, and to view the fountain that gushes with healing. The Father of immortality sent the immortal Son and Word into the world, who came to man in order to wash him with water and the Spirit; and He, begetting us again to incorruption of soul and body, breathed into us the breath (spirit) of life, and endued us with an incorruptible panoply. If, therefore, man has become immortal, he will also be God. And if he is made God by water and the Holy Spirit after the regeneration of the layer he is found to be also joint-heir with Christ after the resurrection from the dead. Wherefore I preach to this effect: Come, all ye kindreds of the nations, to the immortality of the baptism.” Hippolytus of Rome, Discourse on the Holy Theophany, 8 (A.D. 217). (source--Scripturecatholic.com)

I could give many more examples of the ECF's, but I think this should suffice.

Again, as a former cradle Catholic, and with all respect, I am surprised you asked this.

Hope this post helps.

Also, if you don't mind, could I ask why you left the Catholic Church? If it is to personal of a question, I understand.

Have a Blessed Day

p.s. sorry for the long post.
If it's water baptism then why isn't the word for baptism used in the born again dialogue. And why is born of water and born of Spirit not one in the same?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But where in Scripture does it say to be a Born again Christian all one needs to do is.....
Jesus answers one must be born again of the Spirit to enter the Kingdom of God. Cause and effect stated in verses John 3:5-8 and then says the following giving the means :

John 3: NASB
14“As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; 15so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life.

16“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.18“He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19“This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. 20“For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21“But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God.”

Through Jesus Christ

With Jesus Christ

In Jesus Christ

Upvote 0