Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
from stuff i have read confession was originally just for BIG sins like murder and adultery but it gradually became more all-encompassing, and especially with the rise of monasticism it became more rigorous.

there were early beliefs that sins could only be forgiven once after baptism, or not at all after baptism. i would assume this is referring to those big sins.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why exactly did it go to confession in front of the entire congregation to just with a priest, and when? I remember learning that long ago, and I always found it particularly interesting.
The Church began to get many strangers joining it, and many in the existing congregation were feeling uncomfortable about sharing their confession with many strangers, so out of respect and mercy, the priest took the individual's confessions.

Upvote 0

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have heard it before that the confession was made before the entire congregation, one reason for this practice to vanish might be the way our societies and personal nature of certain sins. Also certain sins like murder when confessed to a priest will stay with the priest, that priest will not turn the person in.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
also when the Church was legalized many ppl who werent as fervent about their faith joined, and it was scandalous to hear their sins being confessed, and could cause ppl to fall into judgmental pride.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.