Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does anyone remember an app that was released 10-15 years ago that was real controversial that offered actual confession? Obviously it violated the seal of confession which is why it didn't last long.
I sure do. There were even drive throughs before Covid.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It’s still around but tweaked from when it first came out.

Almost half of Catholics in America never go to Confession (Confession by Patrick Carey). Are you apprehensive about going to confession? Don’t be. Confession apps are ready to help make your experience in the confessional box less awkward and more transformative. It really is a most transformative and grace-filled adventure to go through the process of a good confession and enjoy the rich mercy promised by Our Lord. Our recommended confession apps are designed to help you every step of the way.

Because the sacrament requires a good effort at an examination of conscience, the apps we selected for your consideration offer a variety of creative means of exploring yourself, your relationship with God and the various ways we rupture that from time to time. First, a word of caution:

Apps of this nature are NOT meant to be a substitute for sacramental confession with a priest. These apps are designed to prepare you to make a good confession with a priest.

Not convinced about the importance of this sacrament? Have questions about it? Forgot how to go to confession? Check out the list of resources linked at the bottom of this post. Finally, yes, you can bring your mobile device into the confessional if it will help you to make a good confession. Go for it.

Continued below.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to the developers, the app did not replace confession in person before a priest, but was intended to help Catholics determine what sins they may have committed, as well as guide them through the appropriate prayers in the sacrament. The app is no longer available for download.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Almost half of Catholics in America never go to Confession (Confession by Patrick Carey). Are you apprehensive about going to confession? Don’t be. Confession apps are ready to help make your experience in the confessional box less awkward and more transformative. It really is a most transformative and grace-filled adventure to go through the process of a good confession and enjoy the rich mercy promised by Our Lord. Our recommended confession apps are designed to help you every step of the way.

Because the sacrament requires a good effort at an examination of conscience, the apps we selected for your consideration offer a variety of creative means of exploring yourself, your relationship with God and the various ways we rupture that from time to time. First, a word of caution:

Apps of this nature are NOT meant to be a substitute for sacramental confession with a priest. These apps are designed to prepare you to make a good confession with a priest.

Not convinced about the importance of this sacrament? Have questions about it? Forgot how to go to confession? Check out the list of resources linked at the bottom of this post. Finally, yes, you can bring your mobile device into the confessional if it will help you to make a good confession. Go for it.

Continued below.
Sadly, the reason why most Catholics no longer go to confession is because our sense of sin has been lost. Now everyone goes to heaven if they are a good person.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I sure do. There were even drive throughs before Covid.
Ha! My wife and I were talking about those drive throughs, that's actually how the app came up. She didn't remember it but I did, and I was a long way off from converting when it was released IIRC. I think it even made the national news cycle.

Continued below.
According to the developers, the app did not replace confession in person before a priest, but was intended to help Catholics determine what sins they may have committed, as well as guide them through the appropriate prayers in the sacrament. The app is no longer available for download.
Either I'm misremembering the original nature of the app or they made significant changes to it.
Those apps aren't valid sacramentally. I personally do not have it, and never will.
Nope not at all, that's why it was so controversial.
Never heard of it. Must have been for practice only because there is no absolving by a priest.

Heck, we cannot do it by phone call, either.
I dunno, I may not be remembering it correctly but I could've sworn there was some story or marketing about how the app would even connect you with a priest in Rome for confession. This might've even been in the early days of the app or apps in general and so people were exploring the limits of what apps can do vs what they should do.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They made changes to it from when it first came out. Originally it was basically send your confession in via app over the internet. That’s why it was so controversial. Then it became a prepper to evaluating sins before going to confession.

Upvote 0