Hillsong has been given over to the world.

Loyce KG

Everyone MUST hear the gospel of Christ!
Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I have observed that Pentecostal and Charismatic churches that have adopted the Hillsong type of music and worship have had a marked decrease in the inspirational gifts of the Spirit (tongues, interpretation, prophecy) in the services. Also, I have noticed that there has been a decline in the revelatory gifts as well (word of knowledge, word of wisdom, discerning of spirits).

This is significant to me. It shows me that when worship is introspective ("bless me"), the emphasis is placed on self, and not to edifying others in the meeting. When people have that attitude, they don't see the need to exercise the gifts of the Spirit in meetings, because they are too involved in getting pleasurable, "spiritual" feelings for themselves.
Certainly not here in Uganda. I'll speak for my church which is Pentecostal but very biblically sound. The above mentioned gifts are in operation in an orderly manner and one has to exercise spiritual discernment to know the truth in their revelation. Perhaps, the US or elsewhere in the world. The problem I see here is the prosperity gospel taking over many charismatic Churches. Worship of God must be in spirit and truth. There are many Hillsong hymns that exalt God apart from self. However, I also find their videos and concerts too flashy-which appeals to the carnal nature more. Aside from that, those of us who listen to them on radio are edified.
#personal experience!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Certainly not here in Uganda. I'll speak for my church which is Pentecostal but very biblically sound. The above mentioned gifts are in operation in an orderly manner and one has to exercise spiritual discernment to know the truth in their revelation. Perhaps, the US or elsewhere in the world. The problem I see here is the prosperity gospel taking over many charismatic Churches. Worship of God must be in spirit and truth. There are many Hillsong hymns that exalt God apart from self. However, I also find their videos and concerts too flashy-which appeals to the carnal nature more. Aside from that, those of us who listen to them on radio are edified.
#personal experience!
Then it may not be the music and lyrics themselves but how they are used in some services.

Upvote 0

SinoBen

May 23, 2018
Brisbane
✟21,698.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems that there are a lot of occult, Freemason and Satanic symbols in Hillsong's music videos, conferences and Easter services.

Thoughts?
Hey there... I go to Hillsong and I keep a lookout, at least in my campus. OK to borderline so far, but I haven't seen any of what you listed so far. I certainly did not like (of the little that I saw on youtube) of the London Easter presentation a few years ago but that's London.

Upvote 0

SinoBen

May 23, 2018
Brisbane
✟21,698.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's interesting. I accepted Christ in an AOG church in 1966. They sang choruses and hymns in a way that was exciting and worshipful. They sang with all their hearts, with their eyes open, taking their lead from the song leader conducting them. All they had was a piano and organ as accompaniment.

That seem to be earlier than David and Dale Garratt.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That seem to be earlier than David and Dale Garratt.
David and Dale Garratt songs were the big thing in the church I belonged to from 1973-78. Scripture In Song music was a great thing for the churches in those times, and in some traditional churches, they are still singing them.

Upvote 0

SinoBen

May 23, 2018
Brisbane
✟21,698.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
David and Dale Garratt songs were the big thing in the church I belonged to from 1973-78. Scripture In Song music was a great thing for the churches in those times, and in some traditional churches, they are still singing them.
I'm having to re-buy these songs into iTunes since my tape cassettes are in storage without a player and somewhat degraded.

Reactions: Romans 8
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm having to re-buy these songs into iTunes since my tape cassettes are in storage without a player and somewhat degraded.
You can get many of them via Youtube, download them as MP4 files then convert them to mp3 to have them on a flash drive or suitable sound files to burn to CDs. There are suitable freeware software programs to achieve this. I use YTD for that purpose. Seeing that you already have bought the songs and have them on tape, I see no problem in downloading the songs to replace the cassette tapes.

Upvote 0

SinoBen

May 23, 2018
Brisbane
✟21,698.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can get many of them via Youtube, download them as MP4 files then convert them to mp3 to have them on a flash drive or suitable sound files to burn to CDs. There are suitable freeware software programs to achieve this. I use YTD for that purpose. Seeing that you already have bought the songs and have them on tape, I see no problem in downloading the songs to replace the cassette tapes.
I just dragged out and pulled out one tape: The Battle Belongs to the Lord. Not Scripture in Song. Looks like the copyright is Maranatha! Music. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look for it on youtube and see if this can work. I'll send an email to Maranatha and double check it's OK to do this.

Awesome song

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems that there are a lot of occult, Freemason and Satanic symbols in Hillsong's music videos, conferences and Easter services.

Thoughts?

First, and I think you'll agree (if not already, then in time) the first thing is always -- We should listen to Jesus Christ and so pray the prayer He instructs us in Matthew chapter 6 (not just only our own ideas in prayer, but His way, and the things He said to pray for!), the perfect prayer for things we most need, so perfectly aligned to the will of God. And because He said to pray this way. It's a prayer for daily needs, including deep spiritual ones. If we believe in Christ Jesus, we will want to do as He says to do, and we'll find it's invaluable aid.

Sure, but we've all seen this movie. Someone posts a video, and the peanut gallery attacks. Given that one can easily find the search engine "google", there's not much excuse.

No, it means toning down on the arrogance and reading what's on the page, not adding your own interpretations. Just relax Mr. Bean.
Again with the personal insults.
Yes, I find that to follow Him I often need the profound and profoundly powerful aid from above I get from praying this prayer He gave us for being in the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it was a one-time occurrence perhaps no harm no foul, but when Hillsong has a consistent history of associating themselves with such occultic symbolism then it is likely no accident is it?
Hey could you help me find that? I definitely want to avoid just reviling type information (1 Cor 6:10 is for real, very serious stuff; I won't risk eternal life just to speculatively guess at motives for people). I want to avoid just false accusations and paranoia, which the internet is full of, and instead see the unedited video from Hillsong people are concerned about without someone talking over it and trying to paint meanings onto it from their theories, so that I can see for myself.

Does this video below seem ok to you? --

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First, and I think you'll agree (if not already, then in time) the first thing is always -- We should listen to Jesus Christ and so pray the prayer He instructs us in Matthew chapter 6 (not just only our own ideas in prayer, but His way, and the things He said to pray for!), the perfect prayer for things we most need, so perfectly aligned to the will of God. And because He said to pray this way. It's a prayer for daily needs, including deep spiritual ones. If we believe in Christ Jesus, we will want to do as He says to do, and we'll find it's invaluable aid.
Yes, I find that to follow Him I often need the profound and profoundly powerful aid from above I get from praying this prayer He gave us for being in the world.

I put that prayer into my phone, thanks for reminding me. This is the first prayer I am praying each day after waking up. God Bless!

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm accustomed to being able to connect verses in songs to verses in scripture, and know whether the song verses are aligned. And for Hillsong songs I've posted also, such as "What a Beautiful Name" --

Possibly the most popular Hillsong song is "What a Beautiful Name". I'll try to look up some of the verses for it -- (after reviewing below, are there verses anyone wants to examine further?)

Lyrics: "What a Beautiful Name"

You were the Word at the beginning (John 1:1)
One With God the Lord Most High (John 1:1)
Your hidden glory in creation (John 1:3)
Now revealed in You our Christ

What a beautiful Name it is
The Name of Jesus Christ my King (Revelation 19:16)
Nothing compares to this
The Name of Jesus

You didn't want heaven without us (John 3:16-17)
So Jesus, You brought heaven down (Mark 1:15, Luke 17:21)
My sin was great, Your love was greater (John 15:13)
What could separate us now (John 10:27-28)

What a wonderful Name it is
The Name of Jesus Christ my King
Nothing compares to this
The Name of Jesus
The Name of Jesus

How sweet is your name, Lord, how good You are
Love to sing in the name of the Lord, love to sing for you all?
Death could not hold You, the veil tore before You (Matthew 27:51)
You silenced the boast, of sin and grave (Romans 6:9, Romans 6:6)
The heavens are roaring, the praise of Your glory
For You are raised to life again (Matthew 28:6, Romans 6:4)
You have no rival, You have no equal (Rev 19:16)
Now and forever, Our God reigns
Yours is the Kingdom, Yours is the glory (Rev 22:13, 16)
Yours is the Name, above all names
What a powerful Name it is
Nothing can stand against
The Name of Jesus

You have no rival, You have no equal
Now and forever, Our God reigns
Yours is the Kingdom, Yours is the glory
Yours is the Name, above all names
Nothing can stand against
The Name of Jesus
The Name of Jesus
The Name of Jesus
What A Beautiful Name - Hillsong Worship Lyrics and Chords | Worship Together

Are there verses anyone wants to examine further?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I put that prayer into my phone, thanks for reminding me. This is the first prayer I am praying each day after waking up. God Bless!

Yes, while one might pray this prayer in church on Sunday, as I had been doing, I finally realized that "daily bread" really means we are asking for something today, this day. When one begins to pray it every day it might on occasional days start to seem like only a duty or a recitation, and then I pause, and seek God, with all of my heart, and remember Whom I'm talking to -- that helps me on those occasions. The outcome of this prayer is dramatic for me on days when I had not prayed it yet, and then I realize I need to because of some events or conflicts, and the effect is overwhelming against troubles around me, so that I no longer am pulled into personal emotional conflicts, and often the conflicts even can just disappear in just those few minutes. Harmony comes unexpectedly in person for instance, between family members or other places. Our God is powerful. I'm far less likely to stumble into breaking the instruction to us from Christ Jesus: "“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." Suddenly this high standard becomes easy, if I keep my focus on Him. Because of what He did for me, I can then show grace towards others.

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, while one might pray this prayer in church on Sunday, as I had been doing, I finally realized that "daily bread" really means we are asking for something today, this day. When one begins to pray it every day it might on occasional days start to seem like only a duty or a recitation, and then I pause, and seek God, with all of my heart, and remember Whom I'm talking to -- that helps me on those occasions. The outcome of this prayer is dramatic for me on days when I had not prayed it yet, and then I realize I need to because of some events or conflicts, and the effect is overwhelming against troubles around me, so that I no longer am pulled into personal emotional conflicts, and often the conflicts even can just disappear in just those few minutes. Harmony comes unexpectedly in person for instance, between family members or other places. Our God is powerful. I'm far less likely to stumble into breaking the instruction to us from Christ Jesus: "“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." Suddenly this high standard becomes easy, if I keep my focus on Him. Because of what He did for me, I can then show grace towards others.

I love Christians that love God! I prayed this prayer when I woke up this morning. God has much work to do in me, I've very fleshy and critical but the Holy Spirit is going to break those chains and transform me. I can't wait to tell my testimony of the work He's going to do. God Bless you brother!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that many church leaderships do not see the importance of extended prayer to prepare meetings for the moving of the Spirit of God. When leaders give themselves to hours of prayer and seeking God for Holy Spirit power to come into their services, we see the gifts of the Spirit being manifested, people on their knees weeping before God, souls being saved and healed, and others being freed from demons. The closest I came to it while watching Youtube were the videos of the Brownsville Revivial. I saw people weeping before God, kneeling before God, collapsing under the power of the Holy Spirit, the whole front of the church filled with souls turning to Christ. I never saw the dog-like barking or anything like that, although there have been reports of it. I tend to believe that it was demon manifestation as they were exposed and cast out. Derek Prince in his deliverance ministry encouraged people to cough demons out when they manifested. Perhaps that was what people heard in the Brownsville meetings. I saw people trembling under the power of God and it didn't seem to be put on in any way. Often when the glory of God is present, people tend to respond and react in unusual ways. But no leader was orchestrating it. The glory was coming from above, and not from the front. I just said these things as an example of what I witnessed in the meetings with the pastor who mentored me in the things of the Spirit.

It is significant that the pastor's defining work was J.C. Ryle's Holiness. He had a Methodist Holiness background, and was very strict on personal holiness, knowledge of the Word, and a foundation of personal prayer. One couldn't get away with even the smallest sin in his church. I once was invited to have dinner with a couple who went to a Oneness "Jesus Only" church, and the pastor told me in no uncertain terms that if I went and fellowshipped with those people, I would have to leave his church! That was how strict he was about purity of faith and doctrine. I respected him and stayed with his church.

But when I got married at the age of 25, I changed to my wife's church which was a more standard Charismatic church. It seemed to be okay for the first two or three years, but it got invaded by the Discipleship/Shepherding movement and the "covering" doctrine. Then I started to witness envy, jealousy, disunity in the eldership, pushing out of elders who dissented from the self-appointed "senior" elder's views, and gossiping. It was known that getting counselling from some elders was unreliable, because it was being gossiped around the church by the elder's wives! I ended up leaving that church in 1978, and have never associated with a Charismatic church since, but have been involved in a prophetic ministry with a leader (the son-in-law of my old pastor) whom I trusted.

I think that the Charismatic church that had the problems was not soaked in prayer and the seeking of God for His will. The problem arose when a dominant elder pushed his own will onto the church and this caused disunity and eventual division.
Well, there are some things that I can agree with, but many others I can not. I am glad that you've left those movements behind, though. God bless you.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Well, there are some things that I can agree with, but many others I can not. I am glad that you've left those movements behind, though. God bless you.
I may have disassociated myself with the organisations, but not the theology. I still hold a Pentecostal theology because it is soundly Bible-based. The problem is about how it is put into practice in many areas. And when one delves deeper into why some of the practices seem "off" and soulish, what comes to light are hidden works of the flesh - heart sins that are not initially obvious - party spirit, pride, arrogance, jealousy, envy, gossiping, etc. So that what we see on Youtube videos is the public "face" displayed in public meetings and conferences, but the darker side of the organisation is hidden from public view.

God knows the hearts of people. He sees what we don't see, and if we could see what He sees, then we would understand why some of the practices we are observing don't seem right to us. In churches where there is a lot of hype, but hardly any conversions, excuses like "the Holy Spirit doesn't move like that these days", or "the church has matured", or "miracles are not needed now we have the Scriptures", but the real reasons are the hidden heart sins that are kept hidden.

Charles Finney was correct when he said that if we want a genuine revival, we have to be very strict about confessing every known sin - the obvious and the heart sins - that we have to probe every corner of our hearts to ensure that we are totally clean before God. If we don't do that, the Holy Spirit won't move.

The one reason the Holy Spirit is inactive in many churches is (no matter what they say), is the party spirit which thinks and says, "Our church is closest to God and all others have to do what we do". The other reason is: "Our doctrines are totally correct and the other churches are just our spiritual cousins".

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I may have disassociated myself with the organisations, but not the theology. I still hold a Pentecostal theology because it is soundly Bible-based. The problem is about how it is put into practice in many areas. And when one delves deeper into why some of the practices seem "off" and soulish, what comes to light are hidden works of the flesh - heart sins that are not initially obvious - party spirit, pride, arrogance, jealousy, envy, gossiping, etc. So that what we see on Youtube videos is the public "face" displayed in public meetings and conferences, but the darker side of the organisation is hidden from public view.

God knows the hearts of people. He sees what we don't see, and if we could see what He sees, then we would understand why some of the practices we are observing don't seem right to us. In churches where there is a lot of hype, but hardly any conversions, excuses like "the Holy Spirit doesn't move like that these days", or "the church has matured", or "miracles are not needed now we have the Scriptures", but the real reasons are the hidden heart sins that are kept hidden.

Charles Finney was correct when he said that if we want a genuine revival, we have to be very strict about confessing every known sin - the obvious and the heart sins - that we have to probe every corner of our hearts to ensure that we are totally clean before God. If we don't do that, the Holy Spirit won't move.

The one reason the Holy Spirit is inactive in many churches is (no matter what they say), is the party spirit which thinks and says, "Our church is closest to God and all others have to do what we do". The other reason is: "Our doctrines are totally correct and the other churches are just our spiritual cousins".
I would disagree deeply with this, Oscarr. The Holy Spirit is God. And yes, Christ did found One Church, on Peter. Our prayer can be that someday, all faithful, humble, true Christians can be One.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While Personal insults are a wonderful way of not actually answering, I don’t think it helps much here.
Your point was possibly insulting in that it is obvious, and plausibly not the case in this instance, that's all.
Remain calm and keep posting. ;)

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Furthermore, in terms of the decline of the inspirational gifts in services, I am come to the opinion that because worship times have been strictly programmed by the song leader and musicians, the opportunity for anyone in the meeting to give a tongues message, interpretation or prophecy is taken away. This is the stranglehold that worship leaders have in Hillsong type services. So it is no surprise that the Spirit is quenched when the programme in man-planned and man-operated, giving no opportunity for the Holy Spirit to have His say through the inspirational gifts.

Also, during altar calls with loud music and worship leaders yelling through microphones, the opportunity for the ministry team to use the gifts of the word of knowledge or word of wisdom is drowned out by the loudness, making it impossible for anyone to hear anything at the front of the church.

So, if the Holy Spirit moves mainly through the gifts to achieve His purpose in the lives of believers, and He is blocked and quenched from doing His ministry, then take a guess who or what is behind the quenching and the blocking!

My goodness i also have seen time crunch ...routine service structures. When the Spirit comes upon you...you want more songs or message but it seems they are so set in their strict schedule which stifles the HS.

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0