British Columbia
✟1,007,133.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I wish I could help. I'm concealing both the possession of a seldom-used credit card as well as the substantial shift in my religious beliefs from my parents. I'd give anything to move out so I don't have to withhold things.

Upvote 0
Nov 28, 2010
New York, New York
✟33,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why do you need to specifically "announce" that you got a skateboard? It's not like it's an "issue" that needs to be discussed. It's not like you need to conceal it either, though. But how many times is skateboarding going to naturally come up in a conversation with your parents? They really have no reason to care if you ride a skateboard.

Upvote 0

Bananagator

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Nov 20, 2013
✟14,432.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Why do you need to specifically "announce" that you got a skateboard? It's not like it's an "issue" that needs to be discussed. It's not like you need to conceal it either, though. But how many times is skateboarding going to naturally come up in a conversation with your parents? They really have no reason to care if you ride a skateboard.

Oh I know. I was just having buyers remorse because it was somewhat expensive and my parents would probably freak out if they knew (it's dangerous and whatnot).

This is a non-issue now though. In fact I'm sort of embarrassed this thread's still around and garnering attention :o

Upvote 0

colorblindlover

Dec 18, 2010
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Have you thought about bringing up the topic of skateboarding in conversation? Like mentioning how you've seen people using skateboards around and asking them what they think of extreme sports or something along those lines? Or showing them Youtube videos of skateboarding and making a comment like "That looks fun! I could do that!" and see what their response is?

You could even say that you tried skateboarding and found it to be fun, just don't mention all of a sudden that you have a skateboard. Gauge their responses and then see if you feel more comfortable bringing it up. :)

Upvote 0

citizenthom

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.
Nov 10, 2009
✟12,912.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The depth and breadth of things your parents kept private from you would probably break your universe.

Don't ever feel bad about drawing boundaries.

Now whether it was an overall wise purchase or not, that's something for you to evaluate on adult criteria. Then again, so says the guy typing on the $100 mechanical gaming keyboard he "needs for business" as a lawyer.

Upvote 0

colorblindlover

Dec 18, 2010
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the kind replies everyone :)

I've decided it's really not a big deal and not even worth mentioning, so I just haven't hahahaha
I do regret the impulse buy though, and it's something I don't plan on doing again in the future. Live and learn :)

Impulse buying has been one of my life struggles. haha I can relate. If you get caught in another impulse buy moment, maybe ask yourself if you can use that money for something different or ask yourself how the item is going to continue to benefit key areas of your life that you've been trying to improve... or how it will improve others' lives in the process. Then, when you put the item back and leave the store emptyhanded (or at least just with the items you intended and needed) tell yourself in the car or by yourself at home "I'm awesome, I didn't impulse buy! Go me!"

For example, I tend to spend excess money on food, however one of my goals is losing weight so I can run/exercise again without knee pain. So when I see the huge box of gummies in the store that are on sale, I ask myself, How is this going to move me toward my goal? Hmmm probably it's not. *reluctantly puts it back on the shelf* And later I celebrate my good choice. haha It's dorky, but it works! ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I do not understand, how, it is hiding something, to not tell them, something, you're not obliged to tell them? I've bought, many things, without telling my parents. I live, in another country, than they do, this year. It would not, be feasible, to ask them, anyway.

Upvote 0