Chris Christie Ties His Shift on Gay Marriage to Vatican Ruling on Same-Sex Blessings

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Republican presidential candidate Chris Christie, once an opponent of same-sex marriage, said Thursday his views on the matter have shifted, citing the Vatican’s recent document on same-sex blessings as evidence that “even the Church is changing.”

“And so you know for me, it’s still, it was a process I had to go through to change the way I’ve been raised both from a family perspective and what my mother and father taught me and felt and also from a religious perspective and … what my Church taught me to believe,” Christie said at a town hall event in Epping, New Hampshire.

The former New Jersey governor continued: “[T]his past week or two Pope Francis is now allowing blessings of same-sex couples; even the Church is changing.”

Christie, who identifies as Catholic, said: “Society has changed and what people are accepting in our country now is different than when I was growing up, certainly than when I was your age. And you know I don’t have any objection to it any longer. In the end, I think I’ve been convinced.”

Continued below.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I've been convinced, too. Sexual deviancy is going to be the catalyst of the apocalypse.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go look at several catacombs and see which one suits my needs best. :(

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Most people would sell their soul to the devil for power or even the chance for power. The road to hell is wide. This is sad. I don't understand how so many people have scales over their eyes and hearts of stone.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing.
In their case the god of this world [Satan] has blinded the minds of the unbelievers,
to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God."

~2 Corinthians 4:3-4

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From Catholic World Report:
www.catholicworldreport.com

Chris Christie ties his shift on gay marriage to Vatican ruling on same-sex blessings

GOP Presidential Candidate Chris Christie at a town Hall in Bedford, New Hampshire on Dec. 19, 2023. / Credit: Sophie Park/Getty Images CNA Staff, Dec 29, 2023 / 17:30 pm (CNA). Republican presidential candidate Chris Christie, once an opponent...

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
From Catholic World Report:

Chris Christie ties his shift on gay marriage to Vatican ruling on same-sex blessings

GOP Presidential Candidate Chris Christie at a town Hall in Bedford, New Hampshire on Dec. 19, 2023. / Credit: Sophie Park/Getty Images CNA Staff, Dec 29, 2023 / 17:30 pm (CNA). Republican presidential candidate Chris Christie, once an opponent...
Just heard - Chris Christie suspends his presidential bid days after coming out in favor of LGBTQWERTY blessings. I wonder if there is any correlation between the two events.

Chris Christie, a Catholic of some sort, finally agreed with the pope, or at least with James Martin on blessing homosexual couples. Now he’s out of the running to be the next president. Not that he had a ghost of a chance with Trump and Biden sucking all of the Oxygen out of the room.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Just heard - Chris Christie suspends his presidential bid days after coming out in favor of LGBTQWERTY blessings. I wonder if there is any correlation between the two events.

Chris Christie, a Catholic of some sort, finally agreed with the pope, or at least with James Martin on blessing homosexual couples. Now he’s out of the running to be the next president. Not that he had a ghost of a chance with Trump and Biden sucking all of the Oxygen out of the room.
That's really too bad. I'll keep them all in prayer.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I said to my kin during this discussion.

The Pope's writing is no different than the Apostles Epistles and scriptures.
Exegesis will be as it will be.
We currently have a thread discussing the Immaculate Conception... and of course the Pope is a teacher of the universal Church [St Chrysostom] and 'non Catholics' are arguing the role and understanding.

Where there is humanity....

So anyway:

'Liberals' will see this as a full blown gay marriage lifestyle acceptance.
Conservatives will see it as a grave division.
And the Pope sees it as calling sinners to find the Lord and let the Blessings of individuals [so in return leave the lifestyle]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And the Pope sees it as calling sinners to find the Lord and let the Blessings of individuals [so in return leave the lifestyle]
That's sort of like giving a hopeless alcoholic a fifth of whiskey as an incentive to sober up.

Upvote 0