Hi There! Can I get a 'basics' rundown, please?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My local church is Archangel Michael & St Bishoy coptic orthodox, I am in St Mary's Sydney. Opinions, good starting point?

I would say look for Antiochian, Russian, Greek or one of the Eastern Orthodox. Copts, while close, are Oriental Orthodox and we are not in communion with them.

hope this helps!

Upvote 0

27B6

Veteran
Oct 14, 2006
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hello Lovenlight!

Welcome to TAW! So nice to have you here. :wave:
It is so wonderful that you are freshly on the path in your new life in Christ.
I'd like to share with you a homily called "The Blessed Exchange" by Father Thomas Hopko.

At Nativity and Theophany our Orthodox Christian Scriptures proclaim, the Liturgy celebrates, the Sacraments actualize, the Icons depict, the Canons protect, the Martyrs witness, the Fathers explain, and the Saints live – the Blessed Exchange that God accomplished in the incarnation, crucifixion, resurrection and the glorification of His Son Jesus Christ, by the Holy Spirit’s power, for the salvation of humanity and the whole of creation.

God became human to make humans divine.
God became visible to allow humans to see Him.
God became touchable to allow humans to touch Him.
God spoke in human words to allow humans to hear Him.
God entered human time to make humans eternal.
God took flesh to make human bodies His dwelling.
God lived on earth as a creature to recreate the whole creation.

He was a human being that by His humanity we could become gods by grace.
He was small that by His smallness we could become divinely great.
He was poor that by His poverty we could become divinely rich.
He was weak that by His weakness we could attain God’s power.
He was a fool in this world that we could attain God’s wisdom.
He emptied Himself that by His emptiness we could be filled with all the fullness of God.
He became the servant of all that by his servitude we could all reign with Him.
He became nothing that through His nothingness we could become everything.

He was homeless that by being a stranger He could take us home to the Father.
He was naked that by His nakedness He could clothe us with Himself.
He was wounded that by His wounds we could be healed.
He was without comeliness or form that by His crucified ugliness we could become beautiful.
He was arrested that by being imprisoned we could be set free.
He hungered that by His hunger He could be the Bread of Life for all who eat Him.
He thirsted that He could give us the Living Water that we would never thirst again.
His Body was broken that we who eat Him could be made whole.
His Blood was shed that we who drink Him could never die.

He became Sin that in Him we might become the Righteousness of God.
He became a Curse that in Him we might become the Blessedness of God.
He became a Corpse that in Him we might be forever Alive.

He suffered to free us from our sufferings.
He endured the Passion to free us from our passions.
He was tempted, tested, and tried, just as we are, so that we could be victorious in Him.
He died the most vile death that a man, especially a Jew, could possibly die that we could live as God intended us to live, both in this world and in the age to come.

To Christ our Lord be glory, honor, worship, dominion, praise and thanksgiving, with God His Father and His all holy, good and life-creating Spirit, now and forever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

May God grant you understanding, wisdom, love and joy in your walk with Him.

In Christ,
Patrick

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I saw one link to it above, but another FANTASTIC resource for newer Christian interested in Orthodoxy is Ancient Faith Radio. Because it functions as a (free) online radio station, you can listen to the hymns and music (and just sort of absorb) or go and explore a topical podcast on an issue that interests you.

Feel free to share any questions or insights you gain here as well.

Orthodoxy can feel very big / complex, but that's mostly the weight of history. It really is simple at its heart. It wants to know nothing except the crucified and risen Christ, the glory of God and our salvation.

Everything - literally everything - stems from that. The Scriptures (the Old Testament) all points forward to it (so that we use the tapestry of images in the Scriptures as our principle means of understanding Christ). The New Testament (which was written a few decades after Christ died and rose from the dead) reflects back ON it, and offers several perspectives / interpretations of what it means for Christ to be crucified and risen.

Those New Testament Scriptures reveal that the Apostles encountered the risen Christ through the scriptures and through the breaking of bread (communion / eucharist). This is still how we do it today: we read the Scriptures, meditate on them, and break bread together. In this act of love, in this community, we meet the risen Lord anew.

Since the time of the Apostles many many many holy men and women have traveled through the doors of the Church and each has entered into that great encounter with the risen Lord (through the Scriptures and the breaking of bread). The act of reflecting on that encounter, first seen in the pages of the New Testament, also hasn't stopped. Each generation, each Christian, adds his or her own uniqueness to the unity of the Church - each adds his or her own voice to the symphony.

With 2000 years of that symphony, you can imagine that there is a LOT of reflection - a LOT to explore and a LOT of wisdom. But, fortunately, one doesn't have to know any of it. Christ is still available through the Scriptures and the Communal breaking of bread. As we settle into our Christian life and begin to reflect on that encounter ourselves, we find the words and wisdom of past generations helpful on MANY levels - they can show us where the pitfalls are and how to avoid them, they can give us wisdom on how to address the difficult times we encounter in the spiritual life, and, by showing us another vision of Christ they can enrich and enliven our own deepening growth into the infinite riches of God.

Now, a symphony, though complex, plays one song (and that a harmonious one). It IS possible to play a discordant note, and so we have section leaders (e.g. bishops) under our one conductor (the Holy Spirit) to ensure harmony so that the music we play is one music and the song we play is one song: Christ, to the glory of God the Father.

But for all the complexity (which works like a great work of literature, you can keep going back to it and back to it and the wells of wisdom are never dried up or exhausted), the message is still the simple Gospel: Christ, the crucified and risen one, the glory of God, our salvation.

Hope that helps!

Your brother in Christ,
Macarius

Upvote 0

LovenLight

Jan 1, 2012
Sydney-Western Suburbs
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Army Matt: Am having a problem with getting to church! I dont drive, I have 2 young ones, I think Im locked into the churches within walking distance to me! What do you do, if there not the flavour you need? I found a Antiochian Orthodox, but the english service is 6pm, its arabic at 10am! See as a Mum and wifey, I need to be at home then! So i feel a little stilted! I will find the links to the 5 in walking distance and let me know what you think, What would you do if you couldnt get to your church? If you had to go to another denomination? Would you then, study TAW in your own time? Thank You xx

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I found a Antiochian Orthodox, but the english service is 6pm, its arabic at 10am! See as a Mum and wifey, I need to be at home then! So i feel a little stilted! I will find the links to the 5 in walking distance and let me know what you think, What would you do if you couldnt get to your church?

I would say talk to the priest there, so he can know your situation and go from there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I saw one link to it above, but another FANTASTIC resource for newer Christian interested in Orthodoxy is Ancient Faith Radio.

I second this notion.

allthough it is not as good as AFR in my opinion, it still has a lot of great stuff, so you might also wanna check out OCN

Orthodox Christian Network

Upvote 0