Hi I was wanting to know what SDA believed on the sabbath and eating meat.

Aug 7, 2008
Indiana
✟15,249.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Keep reading little brother. The dream was symbolic that there is no unclean MAN. Peter was being told to tell the Gospel to Gentiles, not just Jews. (v 18)

It's clearer in Acts 10:

10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

15 And the voice [spake] unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, [that] call not thou common.

16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

17 Now while Peter doubted in himself what this vision which he had seen should mean, behold, the men which were sent from Cornelius had made enquiry for Simon's house, and stood before the gate,

(Peter knew it wasn't about food, obviously)

18 And called, and asked whether Simon, which was surnamed Peter, were lodged there.

19 While Peter thought on the vision, the Spirit said unto him, Behold, three men seek thee.

20 Arise therefore, and get thee down, and go with them, doubting nothing: for I have sent them.

....44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

It was a time of transition and Gentiles were being accepted into the "chosen". God was telling Peter there is no unclean man, through a vision about meats we know are unclean.

But trust how can you state that when thats not what it says... it says that the unclean things of the earth... fourlegged beasts are not men... the creeping thing is not man...
How do you translate those verses like that?

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2008
Indiana
✟15,249.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Act 11:1-18 gives the explanation.

It says the same thing that those things we are able to eat.
Please tell me what you think the dream meant because I believe what the dream says. I mean why can't the dream be read literally?

Upvote 0

AzA

NF | NT
Aug 4, 2008
✟17,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please tell me what you think the dream meant because I believe what the dream says. I mean why can't the dream be read literally?
HR, please go back and look at the passages I listed yesterday:

-- All of Acts 10
-- Especially 10:28, 34-36, and 44-48

Then
-- Acts 11:2-3
-- 11:15-21

And
-- Galatians 2

As for why you shouldn't try to interpret the dream however you'd like:

Let's say you headed to the park yesterday and met a guy named Bob there. I meet you later today and you tell me about the person you met. In response I tell you "No, you didn't meet Bob; you met Sarah," and I insist on it. But I wasn't there, and you were. Wouldn't you give me a weird look? Either I accept that you know who you met or I think you can't tell the difference between a guy named Bob and a girl named Sarah.

In this case, Peter had the dream, Peter told the experience, and Peter interpreted the dream and experience and decided how it should affect the church. We didn't have the dream, or tell it; our interpretation should not trump Peter's own interpretation. It's not like Peter waited for 20 years before figuring out what it meant. It's not even in the same class as Daniel's visions or John's. It was interpreted straight away.

It's the same with the dreams that Joseph had back in Genesis. Remember when Pharaoh dreamed about the cattle and the wheat? Imagine if when he and Joseph had agreed it was all about abundance and famine some dude had come along and said "No, it's not about preparing for famine at all; it's about how much we should feed the royal cows... we should take it literally." Pharaoh might have done more than give the guy a look.

Bottom line is: Peter immediately interpreted his own dream twice in exactly the same way, and the church was changed for the better as a result. That should be enough.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2008
Indiana
✟15,249.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Aza, very good analogies!

Dreams in scripture are symbolic, HR. As Aza said, what if the Pharaoh had taken his dream literally and started feeding his cows more?

(We're referencing the dream in Genesis 41).

But where does it say in the Bible that dreams can not mean what they are talking about?
I mean why cant it be interpretted that we can eat unclean meat? It what it says...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

moicherie

True Brit
Oct 13, 2005
United Kingdom
✟16,811.00
Faith
SDA
What about the dream that Peter had?
Act 11:5-9

5I was in the city of Joppa praying: and in a trance I saw a vision, A certain vessel descend, as it had been a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me:
6Upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
7And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat.
8But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth. 9But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

Now I do not see how you can say that unclean meat is a sin. Because in these verses seems like God says we can eat ummm fourfooted beasts, wild beasts, creeping things, and fowls of the air..... so I would be very happy if you tell me how you interpret this scripture.

Read the rest of the story God was preparing Peter to preach to an (in Peters culture and mindset) unclean Gentile, the vision had nothing to do with food.

Upvote 0

moicherie

True Brit
Oct 13, 2005
United Kingdom
✟16,811.00
Faith
SDA
But where does it say in the Bible that dreams can not mean what they are talking about?
I mean why cant it be interpretted that we can eat unclean meat? It what it says...

Peter interpreted his own vision so why not accept what he said, it was his vision to own not ours. How many people dream things that literally happen as recorded in the dreams. Plenty people dream about flying look outside and see if any humans have spouted wings......

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

But trust how can you state that when thats not what it says... it says that the unclean things of the earth... fourlegged beasts are not men... the creeping thing is not man...
How do you translate those verses like that?

The Bible translates itself, HR.

Peter went on to say Acts 10:28 ...."God hath shewed me (shown me) that I should not call any man common or unclean."

God showed him that in the dream he had. He didn't understand it at first, but we get to see it all unfold and that is exactly what God was showing him in that dream....Go teach ALL nations and ALL of mankind My message.

There are some things we just cannot eat, for instance, poison sumac. Puffer fish. Some things are deadly, and God wasn't saying they were suddenly okay.

The rules of the unclean meat are for our own good.

I grew up Baptist and I know dreams aren't interpreted the same way in that denomination as in the Adventist denomination, but if you think about it, who would wander after and worship a ten-headed beast that comes out of the sea? It's symbolic. Dreams in scripture are coded and that's one of the great things about the Bible, unraveling it through study and prayer.

God doesn't leave us with mysteries and no way of deciphering them though, for instance, in Daniel we read about the horns. In Daniel and Revelation we learn that the horns represent KINGS (leaders of nations).

It's such a great thing to study and gain some understanding of, and I hope you never lose the thirst you have!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AzA

NF | NT
Aug 4, 2008
✟17,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Could Peter mean the he doesnt call any man unclean because of what kind of meat they eat? Because that would make more sense. I'm just wondering.
Gentiles weren't called unclean because of what they ate (unattractive as their food was to the orthodox). They were called unclean because they weren't Jews. Simple as.

Upvote 0