Hi, I am new, but I was hoping for advice on something I would like to do.

Phoenix Summer

May 14, 2018
Nixa
✟15,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want to write a book, it is in the fantasy science fiction genre. I was told by some people that anything but realistic fiction was demonic, they also said yoga and many other things which seem benign would open doors. While I don't necessarily agree that everything they said is dangerous, I don't want to entirely disregard their advice. I want to write something that glorifies God, the topic doesn't really pertain to religion, but also doesn't have elements I find to be necessarily bad. The one I am most concerned about is reincarnation. I consider the bible doesn't discount that as being possible, but I don't think it is, and I am not trying to imply it is since it is purely fictional, for entertainment purposes. Any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you for reading this.

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe one can write fiction, and scientific fiction without it being demonic. Yoga is associated with eastern religions. The exercises could be done without the teaching, but if someone is teaching Yoga they usually would make some connection. I would avoid Yoga. Reincarnation is utterly a falsehood that should be totally avoided unless unmasking it's falsehood. Hebrews 9:27.
Immerse yourself in the truth of God's Word, and one will not be misled by Yoga, Reincarnation, or anything else usually speaking. Truth is better than fiction. Why not invest your time on what is better. "Good, better, best; let's never rest, until our good is better, and our better is best...and that's for the Lord!"

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

frater_domus

Faith is all that matters.
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2018
Berlin
✟186,302.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, CS Lewis pulled it off, didn't he? Here's the thing. What causes some to stumble is not worth mentioning to others. I play plenty of games, some of which may raise an eyebrow and I understand why. The way I see it, if I am able to extract a godly message out of the story, or if the game mechanics make me thing and train my brain as well as show diligence and care, or trains my patience, then I consider it worth my time. The same can be said about books. As long as a positive and Christian message can be found, it can take place on Mars for all I care.

As an example, you can tackle topics like forgiveness or mercy. Those can be worked with without bringing religion into the mix, if you do not want it to be part of your story. You can write about courage in the face of tragedy. Or you could think about a fictional religion. I enjoy the Holy Light approach of Warcraft, for example.
While not the kind of literature you have in mind, take a look at Homer's Iliad or Göthe's Faust. The former is about Achilles finding peace through forgiveness, while the latter is a cautionary tale of what happens when egocentrism and desire takes over. I am sure a biblical message about how pride and the love of materialism are a dead end can be found in The Picture of Dorian Gray.

However, the most important thing is prayer. 1 Cor 10:31 teaches us that whatever we do, we must do it with God. Ultimately, it is between you and the Lord. Ask for guidance and let Him inspire you. It is impossible to please everyone. Focus on the Lord, that will probably help a lot ;)

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
want to write a book, it is in the fantasy science fiction genre.

I want to write something that glorifies God, the topic doesn't really pertain to religion,

May I suggest that you think deeply about how the world you are going to write about works.

If it is science fiction, rockets/space travel etc then reading the site Atomic Rocket is esential as it will ground your space travel in real science.

If you are going into Lord of the rings then check up the historical periods you are borrowing and again think about how does the magic work.
Is it a force generated within the user or is it from outside of the user, if so where does it come from?

View writers tackle this because of the implications. If it is from somewhere then maybe it is from a demon who will want payment or maybe it is from God and then is only available for'good' purposes.

That is where you could introduce discussion on God, good v evil etc.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,088,079.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I want to write a book, it is in the fantasy science fiction genre. I was told by some people that anything but realistic fiction was demonic, they also said yoga and many other things which seem benign would open doors. While I don't necessarily agree that everything they said is dangerous, I don't want to entirely disregard their advice. I want to write something that glorifies God, the topic doesn't really pertain to religion, but also doesn't have elements I find to be necessarily bad. The one I am most concerned about is reincarnation. I consider the bible doesn't discount that as being possible, but I don't think it is, and I am not trying to imply it is since it is purely fictional, for entertainment purposes. Any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you for reading this.
Welcome to Christian forums.

You say, "I am not implying that it is, as it is purely fictional." Of course people often take fiction to promote their own beliefs, or come to believe things are based on reality that are fictional. That happens all the time.

The fact that, really, you don't feel so comfortable about your current idea for science fiction seems a good sign to me. I would pray for guidance and, frankly, look for other ways to use your writing talents. There is a world of other ways! The Bible tells us to "cast down vain imaginations and everything that exalts itself against the knowledge of YHWH" aka God.

The Savior told us "It is given to man once to die and then comes the Judgement.' Nowhere are we, on the other hand, told there are multiple lives. This would not even be mathematically possible as there are now far, far more people on the planet than at all other times combined.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, well, look at all the level headed answers you got. :)

Maybe see it as a delivery person who physically delivers fiction books, we have to work in the world but we don't have to be of the world. Now, is a writer any different? Yes, somewhat but as mentioned, as long as it's not against our set of rules, go for it. And that doesn't mean you cannot have bad guys...the bible had some of the worst.

A good writer can make the same points and do away with whatever they deem wrong. They write people pout of TV shows all the time. And there is probably a substitute you can use for the reincarnation that might even work better, like some scientific accident bring them back.

Me personally, the books I've considered writing, I would not make it a religious book, but would put some Christian something in there, or make a major player in the book a real Christian, but just enough to not drive people away...I mean if they don't read it, where does that get you? There are so many that use the Christian in movies/books, whatever, as the nut cases so make them the good guy, maybe in a twist where we thought all along they were the bad guy but they really knew just what they were doing and weren't. People eat that stuff up, I know I do.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a sci-fi nut myself I would encourage you to write a sci-fi book.
There are different genres even in fantasy sci-fi.
Lord of the rings, Sword of Truth aka Legend of the Seeker and the Wheel of Time series.
All of these have very different approaches. And don't forget Dragonlance.

Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Reincarnation and yoga are definitely not in the bible. Please read it to find out! Stretching is breathing for the body but yoga comes with teachings from man. They say things like, "the light is in you" and many other philosophies contrary to the bible. The bible teaches that mankind is wicked and that we walk in darkness and that we cannot save ourselves. To say, "the light is in you" is to contradict all of what the bible teaches because it pushes the agenda that we just need to search within ourselves to find all the light and life we need. But God is salvation and there is no other. All we like sheep have gone astray and anyone who sins is a slave to sin. So definitely read your bible! Then you will know the truth and that is all you will need to know.

As for writing something that glorifies God, there is not much better than poetry. I am a poet myself and you can read all the Psalms to get the greatest examples of poetry and worship the world has ever seen.

But if you must write a story, I would actually point you in a different direction than science fiction. The bible teaches us that we are ensnared by the works of our hands (Psalm 9:16) and that the end of our devices which we make is our ruin (Jeremiah 6:19). So science fiction ultimately is surrounded by a focus on our own devices, technology and how it makes our lives different and this is not the focus of God's word. If you want to point people in the right direction with your story I recommend writing something real. Something that has real impact on our lives. You could use our present time for that! We have plenty of technology today anyway. So that's what I suggest for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want to write a book, it is in the fantasy science fiction genre.

Nothing wrong with that. Many Christians have done that, including C. S. Lewis (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength).

But you should think about what your message is. Why do you want to write about reincarnation, for example?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Regarding reincarnation, I'd stay away from that subject as God clearly states, "It is appointed unto man ONCE to die..and after that the judgment." No dying and coming back there.

Well, it's going to be fiction. Fiction contains things that aren't real.

More important is what the planned novel will say or imply about reincarnation.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not judging, I just know that what I write will not even hint at taking someone away from God's Word. There's plenty to write about without it imo... all of your readers might not be strong Christians who know its all fake. ;) And as an added note, what makes sci fi better to read is have some elements of possibility or truth within it. How will the lost person know what you have written is true or false?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, it's going to be fiction. Fiction contains things that aren't real.

More important is what the planned novel will say or imply about reincarnation.

I've actually read fantasy novels where reincarnation was a major theme: The Deverry novels by Katharine Kerr. I found them rather depressing, with the endless cycles of unresolved conflict making everything kind of pointless. That's probably realistic: life in a universe with reincarnation is indeed pointless; but I can't help but feel it makes for flawed fiction.

I felt reincarnation was handled a little better in the SF novel Memory by Linda Nagata. There the need to break out of some of the cycles of history provided a dynamic to the novel; but the interaction between reincarnation and romance was still very depressing.

The classic SF novel of reincarnation is of course Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. There space travel has given the crew of the colony spaceship Star of India the power of Hindu gods. They rule a society where reincarnation is provided by machines. The main character is a sort of Buddha-figure who attempts to overthrow this system. The novel (which has some gratuitous anti-Christian elements) reinforces the Hindu/Buddhist idea that the only rational response to reincarnation is Moksha: escape from the system.

I do struggle to see how a good novel can combine reincarnation with a Christian-friendly worldview. But I'm open to the possibility that it might be done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phoenix Summer

May 14, 2018
Nixa
✟15,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you everybody for responding. I don't plan to include yoga in the book, my church is having a yoga teacher come, but I don't really have an interest in it. I didn't have hesitancy in writing it until some people told me that it was demonic, as was my name, and they tried to rename me. So I don't think my hesitancy was due to that. If reincarnation is not included the premise is lost. I understand that factually reincarnation is not real, but it is not intended to be real in any way. I definitely will continue to pray about it. I hadn't intended on trying to publish it, I just wanted to try writing a story. I wanted to incorporate Christian characters, and have God be integral to the story. I just don't like to think that fiction in itself is not allowed. Because God made us to be creative. In response to how I wanted to use it, it could be considered a parallel to this society, and address some issues we have in morals. It is so outlandishly different than reality that i don't think anyone could confuse it for fact. But that being said, I used to love Harry Potter to the extent I wanted it to be real. I like C.S. Lewis, but those people also said he was demonically influenced, it gets to the point, that I never want to write at all, because you can easily write demonically in non-fiction, especially if you are going under the premise of truth and are misguided, then you can mislead others. I can't find a the line between being paranoid that demons are influencing everything, or they are somewhat present. If I assume most things are demonic I should stop watching tv and movies, (which I've considered) including PureFlix, because I have seen some less than Christian content there. If that's what it takes in this time, than so be it. But I don't think fiction is inherently evil. I recognize a responsibility in writing anything, that my mind and soul must be with God first. I also don't want to give demons the power to scare me into inaction, because God has more power to use whatever He chooses for good. It seems like to much responsibility for a hobby though.

Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you everybody for responding. I don't plan to include yoga in the book, my church is having a yoga teacher come, but I don't really have an interest in it. I didn't have hesitancy in writing it until some people told me that it was demonic, as was my name, and they tried to rename me. So I don't think my hesitancy was due to that. If reincarnation is not included the premise is lost. I understand that factually reincarnation is not real, but it is not intended to be real in any way. I definitely will continue to pray about it. I hadn't intended on trying to publish it, I just wanted to try writing a story. I wanted to incorporate Christian characters, and have God be integral to the story. I just don't like to think that fiction in itself is not allowed. Because God made us to be creative. In response to how I wanted to use it, it could be considered a parallel to this society, and address some issues we have in morals. It is so outlandishly different than reality that i don't think anyone could confuse it for fact. But that being said, I used to love Harry Potter to the extent I wanted it to be real. I like C.S. Lewis, but those people also said he was demonically influenced, it gets to the point, that I never want to write at all, because you can easily write demonically in non-fiction, especially if you are going under the premise of truth and are misguided, then you can mislead others. I can't find a the line between being paranoid that demons are influencing everything, or they are somewhat present. If I assume most things are demonic I should stop watching tv and movies, (which I've considered) including PureFlix, because I have seen some less than Christian content there. If that's what it takes in this time, than so be it. But I don't think fiction is inherently evil. I recognize a responsibility in writing anything, that my mind and soul must be with God first. I also don't want to give demons the power to scare me into inaction, because God has more power to use whatever He chooses for good. It seems like to much responsibility for a hobby though.

Ok, you are right in that everything about entertainment is wrong. It is self serving but Christ did not come pleasing himself as it says:

For Christ did not please himself, but as it is written, “The reproaches of those who reproached you fell on me.” ~Romans 15:3

And so you would be sad to learn that one of the first forms of entertainment are actually novels! Just think about this and it makes sense. Before there was electricity and industry people found ways to play games and spend time together. The novel was a recent invention through the invention of the printing press which allowed writers to write one time and have it spread to the masses.

Novels themselves are a form of entertainment. So if you are seeking to be a purist then there is no reason to write anything since God had his servants write the books of the bible and really that's all we need. Real history is the only thing we need in writing. Everything else is extra.

Now I would tell you that because you are influenced by such things as Harry Potter then you ought to be all the more careful. Harry Potter is more than just wrong as entertainment but it is entirely evil! God commanded:

You shall not permit a sorceress to live. ~Exodus 22:18

But you are letting them live in your imagination which is really the only thing demonic here. So understand that because you are influenced by such a thing, you won't have your desires rightly calibrated to what God desires for you.

I recommend reading before you write. Read his word and seek him while asking him about what you could write. He will tell you and it will be far better than anything we could come up with.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

~Proverbs 3:5-6

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If reincarnation is not included the premise is lost. I understand that factually reincarnation is not real, but it is not intended to be real in any way.

Please don't let my comments earlier stop you from writing the book. As I said at the start, the key thing will be what you say about reincarnation.

Because God made us to be creative.

Absolutely. We are created in the image of God. Part of that is that we do what J.R.R. Tolkien called "sub-creation."

I like C.S. Lewis, but those people also said he was demonically influenced

Those people were talking rubbish. C.S. Lewis is one of the best Christian writers there have ever been.

Of course, C.S. Lewis did write a book in which the main characters were actual demons (The Screwtape Letters). But he wrote it, essentially, as a warning, and therefore it's a book that every Christian should read.

But I don't think fiction is inherently evil.

No, fiction isn't evil. But every novel has a message, and the message should be true. Detective stories, for example, are about justice. They tell us that the wicked will, eventually, be found out. This is true, because if criminals escape justice in this life, they will not escape it in the next. In that way, detective stories reinforce the idea that "your sin will find you out."

In general, a Christian writer should be writing a novel that portrays good things as good, and bad things as bad. A novel should not preach a sermon, but it should show (rather than tell) a lesson of some kind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok, you are right in that everything about entertainment is wrong.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Godly entertainment is not wrong.

You shall not permit a sorceress to live. ~Exodus 22:18

But it's fine to write a novel where an evil sorceress is one of the characters. As long as it's clear that the sorceress is evil.

Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Godly entertainment is not wrong.

But it's fine to write a novel where an evil sorceress is one of the characters. As long as it's clear that the sorceress is evil.

Absolutely wrong. What does God say?

Pay attention to all that I have said to you, and make no mention of the names of other gods, nor let it be heard on your lips. ~Exodus 23:13

Therefore, be very strong to keep and to do all that is written in the Book of the Law of Moses, turning aside from it neither to the right hand nor to the left, that you may not mix with these nations remaining among you or make mention of the names of their gods or swear by them or serve them or bow down to them, but you shall cling to the Lord your God just as you have done to this day. ~Joshua 23:6-8

So if we must not even make mentions of the names of foreign gods then everything in the imagination also counts because they have the same existence - no existence:

Therefore, as to the eating of food offered to idols, we know that “an idol has no real existence,” and that “there is no God but one.” ~1 Corinthians 8:4

So you are wrong. These things which have no existence, exist through us by keeping their memory. Therefore, if we write about them and live with them in our lives then we are keeping them around against the wishes of God. Sorcery is demonic and should not be a trifle to you to play with in a game!

Upvote 0