✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thomas2618 said:
I'm not necessarily trying to debate you or anything, because this is a subject I know little about, but I was just saying that the word "when" implies that we are to do it at some point in some way. Using "if" would imply that it is optional, but "when" means you are going to do it at some point and here is how you do it...
But again I'll say that this is something I know little about...I have no idea what the original language from that verse is or if the translation of it is good or whatever. Just saying what seemed to strike me as what that quote was saying...
God's peace be with you.
Thomas
It's cool, I don't really know either! :)

Upvote 0

Thomas2618

Oct 4, 2005
Augusta, Ga
✟15,603.00
Faith
Anglican
Duchess_Randi said:
My understanding is that if you are eating anything, you are not fasting.

I think that some fast where they eat only bread and drink only water. I think that does fall under the definition of fasting too.
Also, you can be fasting by eating absolutely nothing but still partake of the Eucharist and it counts as fasting. One of the Saints ( a nun, but I forget her name) lived for years on only once daily Eucharist...

Upvote 0

Velo Princesse

The Glue That Holds It All Together
Jan 12, 2005
✟17,079.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thomas2618 said:
I think that some fast where they eat only bread and drink only water. I think that does fall under the definition of fasting too.
Also, you can be fasting by eating absolutely nothing but still partake of the Eucharist and it counts as fasting. One of the Saints ( a nun, but I forget her name) lived for years on only once daily Eucharist...

I wouldn't think that Eucharist would break a fast. Assuming that you didn't just sit down with a bunch of wafers and a bottle of wine ;) . Although, bread and water would certainly be a huge sacrifice, I don't think it's a fast. Atleast, that is what my sister says and she's my big sister so she knows everything... it's part of her birthright.

:)

Randi

Upvote 0

gitlance

Jul 22, 2004
Earth
✟19,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thomas2618 said:

St. Maria Faustina, I believe.

Upvote 0

gitlance

Jul 22, 2004
Earth
✟19,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
From the BCP concerning fasting:

BCP said:
Fasts

Ash Wednesday

Good Friday

Feasts appointed of fixed days in the Calendar are not observed on the days of Holy Week or of Easter Week. Major Feasts falling in these weeks are transferred to the week following the Second Sunday of Easter, in the order of their occurrence.

Feasts appointed on fixed days in the Calendar do not take precedence of Ash Wednesday.

Feasts of our Lord and other Major Feasts appointed on fixed days, which fall upon or are transferred to a weekday, may be observed on any open day within the week. This provision does not apply to Christmas Day, the Epiphany, and All Saints’ Day.

4. Days of Special Devotion

The following days are observed by special acts of discipline and self-denial:

Ash Wednesday and the other weekdays of Lent and of Holy Week, except the feast of the Annunciation.

Good Friday and all other Fridays of the year, in commemoration of the Lord’s crucifixion, except for Fridays in the Christmas and Easter seasons, and any Feasts of our Lord which occur on a Friday.

The BCP does not seem to say that fasting/self-denial/acts-of-discipline are optional on these days (unless of course perhaps because of medical reasons -- use common sense!!!).

"The following days are observed by special acts of discipline and devotion."

Upvote 0

erin74

Ministry is about people not structures.
Feb 8, 2005
rural australia
✟26,267.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
gitlance said:
Fallacy of ignorance. Just because the Scriptures don't say "YOU MUST FAST ON FRIDAYS" does not mean that the Church's traditional discipline of extra-devotion and self-sacrifice on particular days isn't beneficial.

I have no problems with people fasting for proper reasons.

I just worry that sometimes people categorise things, and so when they fast consider they have done their bit and nothing else is required. I was just reminding people that the idea of 'giving things up' for God is not something that we do at restricted times, but is the way every christian should consider every day.

"Offer yourselves to God as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to Him"

Upvote 0

erin74

Feb 8, 2005
rural australia
✟26,267.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Duchess_Randi said:
I haven't found this to be true. I find it very difficult to pray or be spiritual at all when I'm hungry, my head hurts, and I'm shaking from low blood sugar. The only thing I've ever fasted from that was helpful at all to my spiritual life was TV, but that isn't a real fast. My understanding is that if you are eating anything, you are not fasting.

Still, I'll probably "fast" TV in the future because that is the most helpful to me.

Randi

When my hubby goes on a particular conference he goes on they are supposed to do some fasting (the cynic in me thinks this is keep costs down). He is just like you, and I think a lot of the other guys are too. He says he gets shakey and finds it hard to stay alert enough to pray.

I think the TV thing is a great idea myself. I really must bring myself to put it up in a cupboard one day.

Upvote 0

Thomas2618

Oct 4, 2005
Augusta, Ga
✟15,603.00
Faith
Anglican
Duchess_Randi said:
I haven't found this to be true. I find it very difficult to pray or be spiritual at all when I'm hungry, my head hurts, and I'm shaking from low blood sugar.

What I actually have had experience with is fasting prior to the Holy Eucharist. I am so used to having breakfast that my stomach growls rather severely, however, this does less to distracts me and moreso keeps me focused on what is about to fill me up, Christ's Body. Usually when I get hungry at these times I pray that Christ's Body fill me up so that I don't hunger as much afterwards. Interestingly, I am always not hungry as I pray afterwards...This is not to speak myself up, but to simply describe my experience and to speak positively for the practice of fasting.
I would say that if it becomes enough of a problem that you are hurting like that, then try to at least cut back to a point where you can stand it.

Upvote 0

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
erin74 said:
I just worry that sometimes people categorise things, and so when they fast consider they have done their bit and nothing else is required.

I know a great number of RCs, ACs, and EOs who fast, and I can assure you your fears are totally unfounded.

In fact, I don't know a single person who fits your image.

The reality is that you have been sold some sort of myth about Christians which to my knowledge does not exist.

I can see the preacher now railing against these imaginary Christians who follow the ritual, but don't have a personal relationship with Jesus. :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

erin74

Feb 8, 2005
rural australia
✟26,267.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't remember saying anywhere that this was about people who follow ritual. You are not the only people who fast.

In fact this is a problem that can be levelled at any form of worship. The idea that in doing something we have 'done our bit'. If Jesus was concerned enough that people might do this with reasons that were less than pure do you think you or anyone else might have become immune to that.

I was never attacking fasting. I was saying we don't have to just give ourselves up in this way - but we are told to offer ourselves to God at all times. This is one way - but not the only - way to make a sacrifice for God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.