Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
erin74 said:
"Take up your cross daily and follow me"

No need to restrict yourself to fridays or other special days!

Fallacy of ignorance. Just because the Scriptures don't say "YOU MUST FAST ON FRIDAYS" does not mean that the Church's traditional discipline of extra-devotion and self-sacrifice on particular days isn't beneficial.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
gitlance said:
Fallacy of ignorance. Just because the Scriptures don't say "YOU MUST FAST ON FRIDAYS" does not mean that the Church's traditional discipline of extra-devotion and self-sacrifice on particular days isn't beneficial.

But we don't live in a nanny state, needing to be told what to do and when to do it. If you want to fast, do it from your heart, not out of some kind of obedience.

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Really, it might be good to keep in mind the scriptures that are read at the Ash Wednesday service, right before the biggest fasting season of the church year. Something about being humble and not bragging about how much you pray -- and usually the sermon is about how Lenten observations (such as fasting) are a personal piety and not a competitive sport.

Reactions: Naomi4Christ
Upvote 0

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
higgs2 said:
Really, it might be good to keep in mind the scriptures that are read at the Ash Wednesday service, right before the biggest fasting season of the church year. Something about being humble and not bragging about how much you pray -- and usually the sermon is about how Lenten observations (such as fasting) are a personal piety and not a competitive sport.

Of course, but when we are discussing fasting and "what do anglicans believe," it is appropriate to say "I fast and this is what I do," rather than keeping it private out of humility.

Upvote 0

gitlance

Jul 22, 2004
Earth
✟19,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Naomi4Christ said:
But we don't live in a nanny state, needing to be told what to do and when to do it. If you want to fast, do it from your heart, not out of some kind of obedience.

Then let's not be told what to do. If that is your logic, then you have no right spreading the Gospel. You have no right telling others about Christianity, because they may as well do what they want to do. Afterall, why should we obey the Creator and Sustainer of the universe? Why should we obey his bride, the Holy Catholic Church?

Post-modern subjectivism is the most dangerous deception of satan today: it leads to universalism, negligence, selfish conceit, egotism, and all the rest. You are advocating a belief that sets self on throne, and makes God submissive to us.

Genuine Christianity is a religion of obedience. You must discipline yourself, you must train yourself, you must "run the race set before you with endurance". You are not in control of your life. You are a slave of almighty God, a servant of the highest -- yet in his bountiful mercy he treats you as his very daughter. Show him the respect he deserves for dying for you, and obey him and his holy Church.

Upvote 0

gitlance

Jul 22, 2004
Earth
✟19,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
higgs2 said:

Yes they are a personal piety... nobody should go around telling others about how "good they are" because they fast. The point of this conversation is simply to say that the Church has mandated certain times of fasting, and we are obliged to obey Christ's holy Catholic Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thomas2618

Oct 4, 2005
Augusta, Ga
✟15,603.00
Faith
Anglican
gtsecc said:
Most folks at my parish fast before recieving the Eucharist, and on all the regular fasting days and seasons.

I have been trying to adhere to fasting before receiving also, but I am still on the road getting in to the habit of consistently fasting when I feel I should be. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

Aymn27

Radical Reformationist
Feb 12, 2005
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟19,028.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Simon_Templar said:
itoldyounoalready,

What most people in here are giving you is a basic summary of "traditional" Anglican doctrines.. things that the anglican church has traditionally believed and taught.

However, the honest truth in the anglican/episcopal church today is that you can believe whatever you want. As long as you have submitted to baptism in the name of the trinity and are willing to undergo confirmation, (neither of which do you actually have to really believe in) you can believe whatever you want about any topic. In fact.. you can believe whatever you want and probably still be a bishop some day if you want. This is assuming, of course, that you live in Canada or the USA, you might be able to get away with most things in England, but they might call you on a few issues.
rofl...I LOVE your sense of humor..kinda like my own!!!

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
gitlance said:
Yes they are a personal piety... nobody should go around telling others about how "good they are" because they fast. The point of this conversation is simply to say that the Church has mandated certain times of fasting, and we are obliged to obey Christ's holy Catholic Church.
I have never gotten the impression that fasting on Fridays was mandated. Actually, I didn't think that a lenten discipline was considered "mandatory" either. Not that it's not a good idea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
higgs2 said:
I have never gotten the impression that fasting on Fridays was mandated. Actually, I didn't think that a lenten discipline was considered "mandatory" either. Not that it's not a good idea.

Same here.

I have often wanted to try fasting, mainly because Jesus says in Matthew 6:16-18 - When you fast, do not look sombre as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." (bold print mine)

So, he is not saying if you fast, he is saying when you fast, as if he expects us to do so. From all accounts, it is beneficial for us in terms of prayer and spiritual blessing. I've only ever tried fasting from caffeine and chocolate during Lent; would like to try other times, and more of a total fast (except water).

Upvote 0

Thomas2618

Oct 4, 2005
Augusta, Ga
✟15,603.00
Faith
Anglican
karen freeinchristman said:
Same here.

I have often wanted to try fasting, mainly because Jesus says in Matthew 6:16-18 - When you fast, do not look sombre as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." (bold print mine)

So, he is not saying if you fast, he is saying when you fast, as if he expects us to do so. From all accounts, it is beneficial for us in terms of prayer and spiritual blessing. I've only ever tried fasting from caffeine and chocolate during Lent; would like to try other times, and more of a total fast (except water).

But that quote you gave sure does make it seem like fasting is mandatory at least in some form IMHO.

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thomas2618 said:
But that quote you gave sure does make it seem like fasting is mandatory at least in some form IMHO.
I don't think it's that clear. It's more like he's saying how to do it when we do it, not saying that we have to do it.

Upvote 0

Velo Princesse

The Glue That Holds It All Together
Jan 12, 2005
✟17,079.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
From all accounts, it is beneficial for us in terms of prayer and spiritual blessing.

I haven't found this to be true. I find it very difficult to pray or be spiritual at all when I'm hungry, my head hurts, and I'm shaking from low blood sugar. The only thing I've ever fasted from that was helpful at all to my spiritual life was TV, but that isn't a real fast. My understanding is that if you are eating anything, you are not fasting.

Still, I'll probably "fast" TV in the future because that is the most helpful to me.

Randi

Upvote 0

Thomas2618

Oct 4, 2005
Augusta, Ga
✟15,603.00
Faith
Anglican
I don't think it's that clear. It's more like he's saying how to do it when we do it, not saying that we have to do it.

I'm not necessarily trying to debate you or anything, because this is a subject I know little about, but I was just saying that the word "when" implies that we are to do it at some point in some way. Using "if" would imply that it is optional, but "when" means you are going to do it at some point and here is how you do it...
But again I'll say that this is something I know little about...I have no idea what the original language from that verse is or if the translation of it is good or whatever. Just saying what seemed to strike me as what that quote was saying...
God's peace be with you.
Thomas

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.