Romanist
May 15, 2005
The Diocese of Charlotte
✟9,936.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Generally, Anglican Churches have attempted to be a "Via Media" (Middle Way) between Roman Catholicism and Protestantism. We have one foot in both traditions, with some Anglicans favoring the more Catholic elements of their faith, and others the more Protestant.

Wikipedia has some great information on our Church.

Upvote 0

Velo Princesse

The Glue That Holds It All Together
Jan 12, 2005
✟17,079.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm new, but the reason I came to the Anglican community is that they are very traditional w/ beautiful, reverant services and within those services are people w/ a wide range of beliefs. There is room for you here, I assure you.

Maybe we should try it this way... why don't you tell us what you believe and we can try to help guide you. The people in this community love where we are, but we can try to send you somewhere that best suits you. We are not a 'everyone other than us is going to hell' group. So- give it a whirl... what beliefs do you hold that you would consider defining of your faith?

Upvote 0

Thomas2618

Oct 4, 2005
Augusta, Ga
✟15,603.00
Faith
Anglican
There is a great catechism in the back of the Book of Common Prayer 1979. It is very basic - read pages 845-862 I think it is on this site:
http://holycross-raleigh.org/bcp/845.html

Also, a book that was very helpful for me when I was looking into Anglicanism is "Whole Christianity" by Hugh C. Edsall (I think that is the author's name, but I am not sure). This book is one that will challenge you, but it uses very understandable language and starts from the very basic to the very complicated. It is somewhat long, but if you are really interested it is well worth the read.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

itoldyounoalready

Sep 21, 2005
✟8,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
DuchessDinesOut said:
I'm new, but the reason I came to the Anglican community is that they are very traditional w/ beautiful, reverant services and within those services are people w/ a wide range of beliefs. There is room for you here, I assure you.

Maybe we should try it this way... why don't you tell us what you believe and we can try to help guide you. The people in this community love where we are, but we can try to send you somewhere that best suits you. We are not a 'everyone other than us is going to hell' group. So- give it a whirl... what beliefs do you hold that you would consider defining of your faith?

Well see , that's the problem I can't really distinguish between what I truly believe myself,I 'm in limbo sort of well i know I believe that Jesus came to die on the cross for our sins, he rose again, and ascended into heaven, someday he's coming back, baptism is merely a physical show of your faith, the trinity is three separate entities with one nature, mary was a virgin yes but she was still mortal, christians go straight to heaven,homosexuality is wrong, God judges all sins equally there is no final mortal sin, we are once saved always saved.

This is the gist of it , I cam up with more than I thought I could come up with I also consider my self to be a theistic evolutionist though I don't know if I really belong is this category.

Upvote 0

Velo Princesse

The Glue That Holds It All Together
Jan 12, 2005
✟17,079.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
itoldyounoalready said:
Well see , that's the problem I can't really distinguish between what I truly believe myself,I 'm in limbo sort of well i know I believe that Jesus came to die on the cross for our sins, he rose again, and ascended into heaven, someday he's coming back, baptism is merely a physical show of your faith, the trinity is three separate entities with one nature, mary was a virgin yes but she was still mortal, christians go straight to heaven,homosexuality is wrong, God judges all sins equally there is no final mortal sin, we are once saved always saved.

This is the gist of it , I cam up with more than I thought I could come up with I also consider my self to be a theistic evolutionist though I don't know if I really belong is this category.

Well, you haven't said anything here that you couldn't believe as an Episcopalian. Although, the church does have homosexual priests if you go to a more conservative one that shouldn't effect you.

What I like about the Episcopal church is that they will guide you with regard to scripture and such but you are free to come to whatever conclusion you come to. The only thing that they seem to be really stuck to is the Nicene Creed, which is a given and you seem to agree w/ anyway. I would go to a service and see if you enjoy it. It isn't seductive in it's entertainment like other churches, but I really love it and you might also.

PM me if you have any questions about anything. I might not be able to answer, but I can try.

Randi

Upvote 0

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
I think we could be safe in saying that the kerygma of the faith can be expressed by:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](a) The Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, as "containing all things necessary to salvation," and as being the rule and ultimate standard of faith.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](b) The Apostles' Creed, as the Baptismal Symbol; and the Nicene Creed, as the sufficient statement of the Christian faith.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](c) The two Sacraments ordained by Christ Himself--Baptism and the Supper of the Lord--ministered with unfailing use of Christ's words of Institution, and of the elements ordained by Him.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](d) The Historic Episcopate, locally adapted in the methods of its administration to the varying needs of the nations and peoples called of God into the Unity of His Church.[/font]

Upvote 0

Thomas2618

Oct 4, 2005
Augusta, Ga
✟15,603.00
Faith
Anglican
itoldyounoalready said:

Most of your beliefs it seems are very protestant-esque. Where as you might find a home as an Episcopalian, you would probably be just as likely to feel at home in any of the mainstream protestant denominations such as baptist, etc - in the Episcopal Church you will run into many people (such as the Anglo-Catholics like me) that disagree with you on many of those points. For those beliefs, if you are looking for a church you might want to go where you feel most comfortable with the worship style.
On the other hand, if you are really in a "limbo sort of" as you say, you may want to do some research on the early church fathers and get your hands on a catechism or some books and really do some thinking and praying on the beliefs you have versus those that the early church fathers had (for you do differ quite a bit from them on many of your listed thoughts).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thomas2618

Oct 4, 2005
Augusta, Ga
✟15,603.00
Faith
Anglican
itoldyounoalready said:
baptism is merely a physical show of your faith
Something physical and real happens in the sacrament of Holy Baptism. It is not just a "show" for other people to see. You are adopted into Christ's Body at Baptism.
itoldyounoalready said:
christians go straight to heaven
Research the early church father standpoint on purgatory. Though it is different from the RCC belief of purgatory, they certainly did not believe that christians go strait to heaven. The deceased christians await with us for Christ's second coming and are called the "Church expectant".
itoldyounoalready said:
we are once saved always saved
Salvation is a journey according to the early church fathers. Yes, at by Baptism we are marked as Christ's own, but we spend the time until Jesus returns in preparation for his Holy Kingdom.

Upvote 0

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
itoldyounoalready said:
we are once saved always saved.

So, nothing magical happens during Baptism, but if someone says some sort of formulaic "sinner's pray" they get the gift of eternal salvation?

I swear, I am constantly amazed at how much damage John Calvin has done to people’s concept of salvation. It is not your fault at all. However, I think if you hang around here, you will find some differnt answers which you can ultimately decide to accept or reject. My God comfort you through this.

Upvote 0

itoldyounoalready

Sep 21, 2005
✟8,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
gtsecc said:

So, nothing magical happens during Baptism, but if someone says some sort of formulaic "sinner's pray" they get the gift of eternal salvation?

I swear, I am constantly amazed at how much damage John Calvin has done to people’s concept of salvation. It is not your fault at all. However, I think if you hang around here, you will find some differnt answers which you can ultimately decide to accept or reject. My God comfort you through this.

I don't believe in just saying the sinner's prayer either, the only way that you can get true salvation is by truly accepting Jesus in your heart 4 yourself, not from a prayer or any thing that's merely a public proclamation of your faith,I f you ask me the sinner's prayer is kind of impersonal.

Upvote 0

gtsecc

Aspirant
Sep 3, 2004
✟9,845.00
Faith
Anglican
itoldyounoalready said:
I don't believe in just saying the sinner's prayer either, the only way that you can get true salvation is by truly accepting Jesus in your heart 4 yourself, not from a prayer or any thing that's merely a public proclamation of your faith,I f you ask me the sinner's prayer is kind of impersonal.
and what do you believe about the sacraments?

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
itoldyounoalready said:
I am searching forthe particular are I belong in , at first I tried liberal christians, but that was more or less a type of christian not a sect I didn't know this so I'm here now, and I was wondering what are your beliefs?

We believe what it says in the bible. :)

Here is a pretty good list of what it means to be an Anglican. And it's straight from the horse's mouth, so don't let anyone tell you anything different!;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.