✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christians are hypocrites.

Well, let me rephrase that: people who are not Christian judge people who say they are Christian, as hypocrites.

And they're right!

Let me be clearer though: there are millions of people who call themselves "Christians" who are not and so they do not --in fact are not able to-- behave like true Christians. For this reason I limit my own use of the term "Christian"!

A TRUE Christian is one who follows Christ. This thread will examine examples of how someone who claims to be a Christian probably isn't. (Rather more like the theme... you might NOT be a Christian if...)

HOW is someone who says he/she is a Christian really just a hypocrite?

One example is reading the Bible, or rather NOT reading the Bible. To a true believer, the Bible is God's Word! GOD Himself, speaking to us. Wow. It gives us instruction and is a main way that God speaks to His creation. One cannot know God without reading His Word.

Some have called it " Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. "

Only 9% of those claiming to be Christians have read GOD's WORD through more than once!

You might not be a real Christian if you don't read God's Word!

Bible-reading.jpg

Last edited:

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Only 9% of those claiming to be Christians have read GOD's WORD through more than once!

View attachment 222731

What if the person doesn't even know how to read ?

Are they "Not A Real Christian" and "Just A Hypocrite" then ?

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟337,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No Access to read-out-loud bibles is a thing of the past isn't it?

People not having access to those things even in 2018 is still a possibility isn't it ?

Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've read the Bible so many times, that for quite a long time I go days or even weeks without opening it because it's on my heart. I know the Bible. I spend my time in prayer and helping others these days whereas before it would be spent reading the Bible. So, the fact that I don't read the Bible much anymore doesn't make me "not" Christian. I have read it, understood it, and now I put it into practice. One doesn't need to constantly read the physical words when they ring out in your mind, heart and spirit, and flow from your good deeds, and cry out to God through your prayers.

Bible only fallacy.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,160,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's invaluable to realize that even if we have read Christ's words in a gospel a dozen times through....

Even then....

Still....

He has things to teach us. Especially if we really listen, and don't try to read a chapter a day, but instead really listen, let the words hit us.

There are depths we are not ready for, most of us, even at age 40. So that reading again in a year or 3 will teach us new things.

If we listen.

This is very humble, to be aware we don't yet fully know all He has to teach us. This is how we need to be, as He said, like the little children, humble, and He said unless we are, we cannot enter.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟337,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've read the Bible so many times, that for quite a long time I go days or even weeks without opening it because it's on my heart. I know the Bible. I spend my time in prayer and helping others these days whereas before it would be spent reading the Bible. So, the fact that I don't read the Bible much anymore doesn't make me "not" Christian. I have read it, understood it, and now I put it into practice. One doesn't need to constantly read the physical words when they ring out in your mind, heart and spirit, and flow from your good deeds, and cry out to God through your prayers.

Bible only fallacy.
I'm quite sure that Peter advocated that also in one of his epistles. Once the bible has been read a few times and understanding has begun thru fear of the Lord them subjectively the studying gets more specified I would think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here are the excuses they found?

Bible-whynotreading.jpg
Hmmm There are 10080 minutes in a week. Why not try to take 5 of those each day and read God's Word to you?

I wonder if the "none of these" includes "I'm too lazy"? It could be though---they ARE illiterate? Anyone have stats on illiteracy in adults in America? The survey was done by phone.

• Informative
Reactions: riesie
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟337,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
People not having access to those things even in 2018 is still a possibility isn't it ?
That's where good teachers of oration are needed, biblically taught by mothers to children, thereby notable Christian teachings are seen in love or lack thereof in Solomon type wisdom :)

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's wrong, and potentially dangerous, to define Christianity by one physical parameter such as Bible reading. God is a lot more sublime than that.

What's more, even the Bible itself tells us "Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God". First of all, it's by hearing, not reading. Second, it's by the rhema, or living word of God, not mere words on a page.

Logos becomes rhema in the hearing and believing heart, and that births faith. And faith, and our adherence to it, beginning with our Good Confession, is what saves us. (all Rom 10)

Now, maybe some people need to be reminded to read their Bibles; fair enough. But I don't think this should be taken any further than that.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here's another interesting item, as they also surveyed Pastors:

A LifeWay Research survey of 1,000 Protestant senior pastors found most give out free Bibles to those who need them (86 percent), include reminders about reading the Bible in their sermons (86 percent) and include Bible readings in worship services (76 percent). Two-thirds (64 percent) give out printed Bible-reading plans while 40 percent provide digital-reading plans. Half (52 percent) send out social media reminders, while 46 percent send out reminders by email and newsletters.

I think the reading includes the HEARING :

One place Americans are still likely to hear the Bible read is in church. And many Protestant pastors try to encourage their flocks to give the Bible a try.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
  • Informative
Reactions: drjean
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's wrong, and potentially dangerous, to define Christianity by one physical parameter such as Bible reading. God is a lot more sublime than that.

Now, maybe some people need to be reminded to read their Bibles; fair enough. But I don't think this should be taken any further than that.

Sorry if I wasn't more clear in my OP, the thread is only STARTING with Bible reading, there are more reasons!
A TRUE Christian is one who follows Christ. This thread will examine examples of how someone who claims to be a Christian probably isn't. (Rather more like the theme... you might NOT be a Christian if...)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,240,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

View attachment 222731
The pie chart refers to Americans and not Christians. So it only works if 100% of Americans are Christians and then only if you are speaking of American Christians, and then only of readers and not listeners. You have a fair point about Bible illiteracy though. It was Jerome who said "Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ".

• Friendly
Reactions: drjean
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sample stratification and weights were used for gender, age, race/ethnicity, region, metro/non-metro, education, and income to reflect the most recent US Census data. The completed sample is 1,000 surveys. The sample provides 95 percent confidence that the sampling error does not exceed plus or minus 3.1 percent. Margins of error are higher in sub-groups.

and

Significant Statistical Differences
Comparisons were made to determine if there are any significant
statistical differences among religious preference, denomination,
Evangelical Beliefs, and religious service attendance.

But yeah, it appears that some who responded might not call themselves Christian? HOWEVER I consider those opinions stronger because aren't we only Christians if they "know us by our Love"? We aren't Christian unless we are showing Jesus to others. If they think we're hypocrites by saying one thing and showing them another, then they're right!

In that vein, the non-Christian viewpoint is what counts!

Attachments

• Sept-2016-American-Views-Bible-Reading.pdf
    395.6 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is this going to be a litany of laws that Christians are supposed to keep?

I sure hope not!

It's about the Christian philosophy/ethics. If we only judge each other (Christian, not acting like a Christian, probably not a Christian) we isolate ourselves from the public's opinion of whether we are behaving as Christ. We ARE to judge only and always those who claim to be Christian, so we can weed out the fake ones and keep the teachings of Christ plain and clear, right?

It appears the world seems to think they know though, but lumps all of us believers into one bucket, as hypocrites. We are all not hypocrites! In fact, true Christians are not hypocrites. Why are we allowing our label of "Christian" to be highjacked by non-believers!?

Last edited:
Upvote 0