Here we go again, anyone eating for New Years, What's your plans?

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I took my rib roast out so it will be that or my first attempt at lasagna.
I have failed on every Rib roast I have ever made. bloody in the middle and burnt outside. My oven is so screwed up that It took 6 hrs total to cook it, cutting it open to get rid of some of the blood, etc. I have been reading the time, etc, on google and know that won't work. 3 hours? not a chance. So, I will try at 250 for however long with foil covering for hours until it seems it is time to burn the outside.
Maybe I should try my second choice, lol.

Same thing for turkeys, raw on the bottom and cooked on top to where I have to turn it over for an additional 3 hours, making in cooking time up to 8 hours.
Never falling apart, I used to have a turkey oven, never did it fail to fall apart which is how I love it.:)
Good luck all with whatever you decide to fix and
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Happy New Year to you, too.

I think I will pull out a can of Yams and I still have a can of whole berry cranberry sauce in the frig. I don't do the oven thing w/marshmallows, just bring to boil in pot and then dump the water and add Cinnamon, Stevia brown sugar, margarine, No Salt, Pepper, and a couple of other spices. Mmmm!

Later, like every night, I'll have my concoction of 8 oz of red wine mixed w/8 oz of 100% Pomegranate juice,...no buzz sought. Very good medicine, though.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Happy New Year to you, too.

I think I will pull out a can of Yams and I still have a can of whole berry cranberry sauce in the frig. I don't do the oven thing w/marshmallows, just bring to boil in pot and then dump the water and add Cinnamon, Stevia brown sugar, margarine, No Salt, Pepper, and a couple of other spices. Mmmm!

Later, like every night, I'll have my concoction of 8 oz of red wine mixed w/8 oz of 100% Pomegranate juice,...no buzz sought. Very good medicine, though.
That sounds wonderful! I haven't ever made yams but that is a good thing for me not to have, lol It sounds easy peezy which I love. Would you normally put salt and pepper on it, yikes. Cranberry sauce is sooo expensive it hasn't been on my list for a few years and I love the stuff. Maybe I will think about making my own someday.
No meal for you?
Thanks for your post and well wish for the new year:).

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I took my rib roast out so it will be that or my first attempt at lasagna.
I have failed on every Rib roast I have ever made. bloody in the middle and burnt outside. My oven is so screwed up that It took 6 hrs total to cook it, cutting it open to get rid of some of the blood, etc. I have been reading the time, etc, on google and know that won't work. 3 hours? not a chance. So, I will try at 250 for however long with foil covering for hours until it seems it is time to burn the outside.
Maybe I should try my second choice, lol.

Same thing for turkeys, raw on the bottom and cooked on top to where I have to turn it over for an additional 3 hours, making in cooking time up to 8 hours.
Never falling apart, I used to have a turkey oven, never did it fail to fall apart which is how I love it.:)
Good luck all with whatever you decide to fix and
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Okay, first off there is no "blood" in rib roast. What you are referring to are natural juices colored by myoglobin. Don't be put off by its reddish color. If you do not have that juice your rib roast is ruined because it is over cooked and dried out. It is also a very good thing to add to your home made au jus.

The last time I cooked a rib roast I used a relatively new toy. I used my Sous Vide machine. That is simply a device that you insert into a container of water. It keeps the water at a present temperature. The meat is put into a plastic bag almost all of the air is sucked out and then it is cooked in the water bath. For a rib roast I would plan for at least six hours. The nice thing about a Sous Vide machine is that no harm is done if you go over your cook time. You could cook the rib roast for 24 hours with very few negative side effects.

With a Sous Vide machine you set the temperature at the final temp that you want to eat it at. Medium rare is 133 or 135 Fahrenheit. Season the meat well. Put it in a freezer bag or other bag save to cook in. Remove all of the air and immerse in the water. After at least 6 hours it is done, but if Uncle Phil is telling one of his endless rambling stories you do not have to worry. When you take it out it is time for the sear. I preheated my oven to 475 F. The meat is put on a rack and patted dry with a paper towel. The juices in the bag I put into my au jus. In the oven for 15 minutes and that is it. Take it out, drain off any juices for the au jus. Carve the meat into whatever size pieces that you want and again, save that juice for the au jus.

The last time I made mine it was extremely juicy and tender, done to a perfect medium rare all the way out to the edges of where it was seared. And the au jus was not bad either.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I would disagree with you on the blood, it is cherry red and red blood leaking out. It is beef and cows bleed and have blood. Rare means blood
Happy new year! I hope your new year will be all you want it to be:)

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I would disagree with you on the blood, it is cherry red and red blood leaking out. It is beef and cows bleed and have blood.
Happy new year! I hope your new year will be all you want it to be:)
They are also rather well bled when they are butchered. If it is at all clear it is not blood. It should be a nice reddish hue:

tell-if-beef-pork-poultry-is-cooked-without-thermometer.w1456.jpg

That is not a very good picture, but you get the idea.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, I can't eat it when its bleeding like that, lol.
Not bleeding. ARRRGGhh! Sorry, I hate it when someone wastes a good cut of beef. A decent steak or rib roast should never be cooked past medium rare. Trust me, that is not blood. The meat is not bloody. Red in this case does not mean "blood":

Here's What That "Blood" In Your Meat Packaging Really Is.

Once again, myoglobin, not blood. You cannot complain about how your rib roasts come out if you constantly over cook them. They are all but guaranteed to come out on the dry and tough side if you do.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last time I did a prime rib I did it for roughly two hours at 325° F.
Pulled it out when the very center was at 135° and let it rest for 20 minutes on the cutting board while I took the pan it sat in to the stove and made the au jus with wine to deglaze and beef stock to get it back to liquid (instead of syrup) then worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Then strained it into a serving bowl.
I had horseradish sauce though to go with. Also the glazed carrots, asparagus, and roasted red potatoes.

But for New Years it Filet time.

Earlier this year I found some PSMO (pizmoes) which stands for peeled side muscle on whole tenderloins for a really inexpensive price per pound.... USDA Choice.
Do I bought one and butchered/cleaned it up and cut steaks from it.
Used the trim along with some pot roast gravy I flavored up to have some tenderloin tips and pasta. (Beef Burgundy) but that's long gone.

So...
I'll just pan sear these and make some pomme de terre gratin.
(Steak and taters)

But that's about all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That sounds wonderful! I haven't ever made yams but that is a good thing for me not to have, lol It sounds easy peezy which I love. Would you normally put salt and pepper on it, yikes. Cranberry sauce is sooo expensive it hasn't been on my list for a few years and I love the stuff. Maybe I will think about making my own someday.
No meal for you?
Thanks for your post and well wish for the new year:).
I believe Yams are just another name for Sweet Potato and if not they are just like them. I put salt (No Salt) and pepper on any potatoes.

Yes, there is an abundance of Yams and Cranberry sauce around for Thanksgiving and I buy a ton of it then.

That will be a meal. Normally, I'd make the meal just of the can of Yams or a frozen bag of vegetables. The cranberry sauce will be a bonus and my dessert. Sometimes I make something with Tuna or Salmon or Tipala, and the only beef is very rarely $$$$ ground sirloin (90-95% lean) hamburgers and skinned chicken breasts. I grill year round in rain and 3 ft of snow, if need be. Another easy meal is rice cooked in broth, (low salt type) and spiced up with lots of Garlic. NOT that stuff called rice in the red box but the real rice you simmer for 20-40 min depending upon the brand. I use Uncle Ben's Original rice/20 min. simmer for the taste and texture and nutrition. You won't ever go back to minute rice after having some real rice. It is real convenient but there is a world of difference between it and real rice. It is sooo artificial and the texture comparison is unbelievable.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last time I did a prime rib I did it for roughly two hours at 325° F.
Pulled it out when the very center was at 135° and let it rest for 20 minutes on the cutting board while I took the pan it sat in to the stove and made the au jus with wine to deglaze and beef stock to get it back to liquid (instead of syrup) then worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Then strained it into a serving bowl.
I had horseradish sauce though to go with. Also the glazed carrots, asparagus, and roasted red potatoes.

But for New Years it Filet time.

Earlier this year I found some PSMO (pizmoes) which stands for peeled side muscle on whole tenderloins for a really inexpensive price per pound.... USDA Choice.
Do I bought one and butchered/cleaned it up and cut steaks from it.
Used the trim along with some pot roast gravy I flavored up to have some tenderloin tips and pasta. (Beef Burgundy) but that's long gone.

So...
I'll just pan sear these and make some pomme de terre gratin.
(Steak and taters)

But that's about all.
MAN!!! Your husband is a VERY lucky man!!!!!

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If medium rare meat is not to your taste a proper pot roast can be very tasty. I tend to go to the other extreme with those. I cook mine well done, but under a pile of chopped onions, celery and carrots to keep it moist. At least three hours at 350 and up to four hours. Potatoes go in for the last hour or so.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I believe Yams are just another name for Sweet Potato and if not they are just like them. I put salt (No Salt) and pepper on any potatoes.

Yes, there is an abundance of Yams and Cranberry sauce around for Thanksgiving and I buy a ton of it then.

That will be a meal. Normally, I'd make the meal just of the can of Yams or a frozen bag of vegetables. The cranberry sauce will be a bonus and my dessert. Sometimes I make something with Tuna or Salmon or Tipala, and the only beef is very rarely $$$$ ground sirloin (90-95% lean) hamburgers and skinned chicken breasts. I grill year round in rain and 3 ft of snow, if need be. Another easy meal is rice cooked in broth, (low salt type) and spiced up with lots of Garlic. NOT that stuff called rice in the red box but the real rice you simmer for 20-40 min depending upon the brand. I use Uncle Ben's Original rice/20 min. simmer for the taste and texture and nutrition. You won't ever go back to minute rice after having some real rice. It is real convenient but there is a world of difference between it and real rice. It is sooo artificial and the texture comparison is unbelievable.
If you look it up they are not the same and but what most people call "sweet potatoes" are actually yams. And yes, they can be quite tasty. I do not like mine with extra sweeteners. They are already sweet enough for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ummmm
My name is John...I'm the husband. My wife is lucky (although that luck is debatable)

I'm the recovered Chef.
:eek: Sorry, I went by the avatar pix which shows a woman, I thought. Yes, she is very lucky. It takes a lot of time and work to cook meals like that; and to clean up afterwards. That sounds like some very good eating. :blush:

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ummmm
My name is John...I'm the husband. My wife is lucky (although that luck is debatable)

I'm the recovered Chef.
You look like a man to me, lol

Reactions: JohnDB
Upvote 0