Here we go again, anyone eating for New Years, What's your plans?

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Not bleeding. ARRRGGhh! Sorry, I hate it when someone wastes a good cut of beef. A decent steak or rib roast should never be cooked past medium rare. Trust me, that is not blood. The meat is not bloody. Red in this case does not mean "blood":

Here's What That "Blood" In Your Meat Packaging Really Is.

Once again, myoglobin, not blood. You cannot complain about how your rib roasts come out if you constantly over cook them. They are all but guaranteed to come out on the dry and tough side if you do.
Sorry, you will never convince me. Have to agree to disagree, lol. Don't be so serious, lol I'd like to have those squiers spelling that they use in rotisouries to stick in it when its cooking so that the inside gets done to my liking along with the outsides. I never use those words, sorry.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Last time I did a prime rib I did it for roughly two hours at 325° F.
Pulled it out when the very center was at 135° and let it rest for 20 minutes on the cutting board while I took the pan it sat in to the stove and made the au jus with wine to deglaze and beef stock to get it back to liquid (instead of syrup) then worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Then strained it into a serving bowl.
I had horseradish sauce though to go with. Also the glazed carrots, asparagus, and roasted red potatoes.

But for New Years it Filet time.

Earlier this year I found some PSMO (pizmoes) which stands for peeled side muscle on whole tenderloins for a really inexpensive price per pound.... USDA Choice.
Do I bought one and butchered/cleaned it up and cut steaks from it.
Used the trim along with some pot roast gravy I flavored up to have some tenderloin tips and pasta. (Beef Burgundy) but that's long gone.

So...
I'll just pan sear these and make some pomme de terre gratin.
(Steak and taters)

But that's about all.
Oh my goodness, what can I say. Your wife is sure blessed to have a chef as a husband, lol. For me it is throw it and take it out. nothing more than 5 mins. I fear the lasagna will take more prep but not too much more than spaghetti.
Happy new year and eat up!

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I believe Yams are just another name for Sweet Potato and if not they are just like them. I put salt (No Salt) and pepper on any potatoes.

Yes, there is an abundance of Yams and Cranberry sauce around for Thanksgiving and I buy a ton of it then.

That will be a meal. Normally, I'd make the meal just of the can of Yams or a frozen bag of vegetables. The cranberry sauce will be a bonus and my dessert. Sometimes I make something with Tuna or Salmon or Tipala, and the only beef is very rarely $$$$ ground sirloin (90-95% lean) hamburgers and skinned chicken breasts. I grill year round in rain and 3 ft of snow, if need be. Another easy meal is rice cooked in broth, (low salt type) and spiced up with lots of Garlic. NOT that stuff called rice in the red box but the real rice you simmer for 20-40 min depending upon the brand. I use Uncle Ben's Original rice/20 min. simmer for the taste and texture and nutrition. You won't ever go back to minute rice after having some real rice. It is real convenient but there is a world of difference between it and real rice. It is sooo artificial and the texture comparison is unbelievable.
That's why I wondered why you put salt and pepper on it since it is sweet. I try not to do that, lol.
Happy New Year!

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife, once or twice a yr, makes a roast, a chuck roast, I think. She cooks it in a slow cooker with potatoes and carrots for about 4-5 hrs on high. It always comes out well-cooked, falling to pieces as you fork it. But it is soooo fatty. Maybe you could cook your roast the same way. You could add onions and garlic sprigs and whatever. It is delicious.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:eek: Sorry, I went by the avatar pix which shows a woman, I thought. Yes, she is very lucky. It takes a lot of time and work to cook meals like that; and to clean up afterwards. That sounds like some very good eating. :blush:
It's a guy in overalls with a coffee cup standing next to a tool box....and I happen to have had blond hair when I was younger...it's mostly grey now. They didn't have a blonde pushbroom mustache when I made the Avatar.
Of course I grew out my beard, got a pipe and hat and pretended to be Santa this past year. It was fun.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
gallery-1494971235-gettyimages-521409468.jpg

Look at that! Isn't it gorgeous?
What cut of meat is that?
It looks almost like lamb. If it's beef filet that fat really shouldn't be there because gristle is just underneath it.

If it's lamb it's about right...
If it's beef it's a bit rare for what is best.
I liked the thin blue line in the steak picture before...so thin of a blue line it's almost invisible. But that's what a juicy steak is supposed to be looking like.

And that's the reason why we don't cook it so much. The flavor is in the juices and the marbled fat.

And if the roast is burnt on one side and raw on the other... your oven is either broken or you aren't using it correctly. I like using a oven thermometer because the thermostat for temperature control is often wrong on cheap ovens. (Ones that come with the house/apartment the contractor provided)

Nice ovens that cost a good bit of money can be accurate at first...but the electronics on them can be fickle about working.

So I love me a gas oven with convection.
Low blow for cakes and high blow for roasted anything.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are also rather well bled when they are butchered. If it is at all clear it is not blood. It should be a nice reddish hue:

tell-if-beef-pork-poultry-is-cooked-without-thermometer.w1456.jpg

That is not a very good picture, but you get the idea.

I like mine very well done.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
See, even the fat isn't cooked, lol. and no it is not gorgeous.
It is not fried to death, but it is still done. Trust me.

Did I recommend a pot roast? They are not bad. But it should be one of the big Ten that one does not ruin a rib roast.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What cut of meat is that?
It looks almost like lamb. If it's beef filet that fat really shouldn't be there because gristle is just underneath it.

If it's lamb it's about right...
If it's beef it's a bit rare for what is best.
I liked the thin blue line in the steak picture before...so thin of a blue line it's almost invisible. But that's what a juicy steak is supposed to be looking like.

And that's the reason why we don't cook it so much. The flavor is in the juices and the marbled fat.

And if the roast is burnt on one side and raw on the other... your oven is either broken or you aren't using it correctly. I like using a oven thermometer because the thermostat for temperature control is often wrong on cheap ovens. (Ones that come with the house/apartment the contractor provided)

Nice ovens that cost a good bit of money can be accurate at first...but the electronics on them can be fickle about working.

So I love me a gas oven with convection.
Low blow for cakes and high blow for roasted anything.
Not sure. But that looks perfect to me. I like my meat on the rare side of medium rare. In fact if I am feeling particularly carnivorous I like a Black and Blue steak.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Oh my goodness, what can I say. Your wife is sure blessed to have a chef as a husband, lol. For me it is throw it and take it out. nothing more than 5 mins. I fear the lasagna will take more prep but not too much more than spaghetti.
Happy new year and eat up!
Half of the fun in lasagna is in cooking it. It takes time, though not particularly challenging. And the end product is so much better than store bought frozen lasagna. Or if you want to try something different make a large eggplant parmigiana instead. The first one I made was so good that I had to force myself to quit eating.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's a guy in overalls with a coffee cup standing next to a tool box....and I happen to have had blond hair when I was younger...it's mostly grey now. They didn't have a blonde pushbroom mustache when I made the Avatar.
Of course I grew out my beard, got a pipe and hat and pretended to be Santa this past year. It was fun.
With what looks like lipstick and eye makeup? I thought that it was a woman too. I am an exblond too, though my blond days were when it was about 2 so I have no memory of them, but my hair was very light. Ooh, one more thing, you were blond, not blonde. French is a tricky language at times.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My wife, once or twice a yr, makes a roast, a chuck roast, I think. She cooks it in a slow cooker with potatoes and carrots for about 4-5 hrs on high. It always comes out well-cooked, falling to pieces as you fork it. But it is soooo fatty. Maybe you could cook your roast the same way. You could add onions and garlic sprigs and whatever. It is delicious.
Thats the way I cook Chuck but I take all the fat off so it isn't fatty but usually the chuck I buy has very little fat.
Rib roast can't be cooked that way, it is different. Not sure why I say that but it seems wrong with that roast but thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It is not fried to death, but it is still done. Trust me.

Did I recommend a pot roast? They are not bad. But it should be one of the big Ten that one does not ruin a rib roast.
Rib Eye is my favorite but very expensive.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Half of the fun in lasagna is in cooking it. It takes time, though not particularly challenging. And the end product is so much better than store bought frozen lasagna. Or if you want to try something different make a large eggplant parmigiana instead. The first one I made was so good that I had to force myself to quit eating.
Oh man, we have another chef in the house:)

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since you like it like I like it, how do you cook it to get it well in the center without burning the outside up?
My wife is an infidel as well.
Don't burn the roast first off. Burnt taste permeates everything and isn't pleasant.

For her I take an end piece of the rib roast and poach it gently in the au jus I made... until it's well done.

That way it's at least as flavorful as possible.

But she loves the horseradish sauce I make. It's rather popular with everyone who has tried it. So I got a corned beef today to cook because we still have some horseradish sauce from Christmas.

Whatever eh?

Upvote 0