Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
You have to walk in relationship with the Lord and order your life around that relationship, that may give you more freedom or less but to you it may be different from your neighbor and you have to be sure not to let that bother you or cause them to stumble, if your own heart condemns you thats when its time to seek His will again...Im thinking about what Paul said about food offered to idols and also what he said about those who eat only veges and not meat, we have to be sure we are in unity with ABBA and sure of what he wants for us....if that is all well and good then you have a heart thats free:)

Romans 14
and
1 Corinthians 8

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
I can only speak for myself.... and I say this is clearly witchcraft, demonic and superstition
http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/kurdjewish/circ.html
Jews in Kurdistan celebrated the night before a newborn son's circumcision. This was called the lel sheshe, and it included music, dancing, singing, and gifts of sweets for children.
On this night, the sixth night after birth, women ornamented the mother with indigo and turmeric, and sometimes with harquus, a black cosmetic, or darkened henna. These traditions paralleled those for betrothal and marriage, the lel hinne, when the bride was adorned with henna. The purpose of the lel sheshe ornamentation was specifically to protect the mother and son from Lilith, the queen of demons, who preyed upon women during their childbirth and lying-in period. Lilith might steal the child (cause stillbirth or neonatal death), or kill the mother (maternal death during or after childbirth).
http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/kurdjewish/bridalnoh.html
The bride's and groom's families invited people from around the village to "the night of the henna" before the wedding. Invitations to wealthy guests said: "Come to the dyeing in the house of the bride, please cook." This implied that the wealthy should bring food to the wedding. Invitations to poor people specified that they need not bring food to the party.
First, the bridegroom was hennaed in his home. Then, girls brought the rest of his bowl of henna to the bride's house. A young girl stirred the henna paste for the bride. Women began by hennaing a little girl to be the decoy for malevolent spirits and the evil eye that might attack the bride. When the child was hennaed, they lifted her onto the bride's lap. Then, women dyed the bride's hair. Next, they hennaed her right hand and left foot, then her left hand and right foot. When the patterns were completed and dried, they wrapped her hennaed hands and feet with cloth strips. In Sinne, they also hennaed patterns on her forehead.
The groom's family and friends brought him to the bride's house, with his hennaed hands and feet wrapped from his night of the henna. The bride and groom wanted to feast at the celebration, because they had to fast the next day. However, with their henna wrappings, they could not feed themselves, so their bridesmaids and groomsmen fed them. When the attendants gave the bride and groom their first bites of food, their friends made a show of trying to steal it, and everyone took a morsel for luck.
The bride and groom slept in their henna wrappings that night, as the party continued. The family and friends stayed up all night to keep demons from harming the couple.
Early the next day, the bride's attendants and female kin bathed her in hot water at her home, then took her to the river before daylight, when at least one star was still visible in the sky, for a ritual bath. The groom sent soap, a washcloth, a comb, rosewater and depilatory, and she dipped herself in the water three times. When the bride had bathed, her friends dressed her. They braided her hennaed hair into long, thin braids, with a silver bell at the end of each. They brought her home purified and veiled, ready to put on wedding clothes and jewels, and have her wedding day.

Upvote 0

Torah

Senior Veteran
Oct 24, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟12,588.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
The Torah Study this week touched on what one “Thinks” of Tattoos.
Ekev

Because"
Torah Deuteronomy 7:12-11:25
Haftarah Isaiah 49:14-51:3
Gospels Acts 6-7

In the first verses of parashat Ekev, Moses paints an idyllic future for the people of Israel. Blessed withmiraculous fertility, prosperity and wealth, free of sickness and plague, they will conquer their enemies, effortlessly driving them out as God confounds the Canaanites. "He will love you and bless you!" Moses declares (7:13). We are again reminded of the context. Moses is addressing the children of Israel on the plains of Moab, preparing them to enter into the Promised Land. The entire book of Deuteronomy is like the pep rally before the big game. Moses is encouraging the people to be strong and courageous, to have confidence in God, and to boldly take hold of their inheritance. Moses says, "You shall not dread them, for the Lord your God is in your midst, a great and awesome God" (7:21).
But all this success and blessing hangs on a single contingency—rather 613 contingencies. The name of the portion, Ekev ppV) means 'because.' Israel's ideal future will be delivered to her "because you listen to these judgments and keep them" (7:12).

Of course, it is impossible that any society should ever be completely free of sin. But this is not exactly an all or nothing arrangement. As we are to learn in these passages of Deuteronomy, Israel's success in Canaan would not be measured by her righteous­ness, but as a result of God's covenant promises and His judgment on the Canaanite nations.
Yet Moses teaches a simple principle of obedience begetting blessing. It is a principle that is well-displayed in the modern world. It is certainly not politically correct to say so, but it is an obvious fact: Societies founded on Judeo-Christian values (which are based soundly on the principles of Torah) are more successful, more healthy, more productive and more powerful. In every arena of progress, the Judeo-Christian world has excelled and continues to excel. Yet it is also true that as those values begin to vanish, so does the success that they created. In parashat

Ekev, the Torah warns about this cycle. Torah brings success; success brings complacency; complacency leads to the neglect of Torah, the neglect of Torah brings failure.

Salvaging Idols
Deuteronomy 7:25-26
With success comes danger. Part of the danger of the successful conquest of the Canaanites was in the pillage. What could be more natural than salvaging the valuables from a conquered city? After defeating a Canaanite stronghold and burning its high places and shrines, it would seem to be a just reward to melt down their golden and silver idols and recast them as shekels. No idolatrous intentions are at all associ­ated with such a practical appropriation of Canaanite wealth. Yet the Lord strictly enjoins us otherwise.
The graven images of their gods you are to burn with fire; you shall not covet the silver or the gold that is on them, nor take it for yourselves, or you will be snared by it, for it is an abomination to the Lord your God. You shall not bring an abomination into your house, and like it come under the ban; you shall utterly detest it and you shall utterly abhor it, for it is some­thing banned (cherem), and like it come under the ban (cherem); you shall utterly detest it and you shall utterly abhor it, for it is something banned (cherem). (Deuteronomy 7:25-26)

Two commandments are formulated in the tradi­tional enumeration of the 613 from this passage.

• It is forbidden to derive any benefit from the ornamentation of an idol. (N22)
• It is forbidden to possess, own, or derive any benefit from idols. (N25)

The Talmud takes the prohibitions so far as to say that it is forbidden to even take the wood from an Asherah pole and use it for cooking. It is to be
burned, but it is not to be brought into one's home or used for any purpose.

For example, decorating one's home with pagan statues makes one's home liable to cherem, i.e., total destruction.
These commandments are applicable today. On the most obvious level, bringing idols or images associ­ated with idolatry into our homes as ornamentation is forbidden. Even redefining idolatrous symbolism is forbidden. For example, an Israelite might have very much appreciated the quality and design of a small, Canaanite incense altar and reasoned along these lines: "Why shouldn't an incense altar like that be used to worship the one true God. I will take it and offer incense to the Lord with it." This is forbidden.

Herein lays the Torah movement's objection to the incorporation of pagan custom and idolatrous orna­mentation in Christian celebration. For example, the Church redeemed Christmas and Easter, so to speak, by taking ancient pagan festivals and redefining them with Christian meaning. The Christmas tree, once an object of sacred veneration at the base of which gifts to the gods were placed, lives on, even though its original pagan associations have been long forgotten. The prohibition on deriving benefit from idols and from taking them into our possession should be broadened beyond just the scope of conventional idols. As believers, we must also recognize other things which might constitute an abomination brought into our houses. [tattoos]

We need to carefully scrutinize the enter­tainment and media which the culture has to offer us. If we are honest, we must admit that it is mostly abominable. Not surprisingly, theater arts began as a part of the sacred worship of the Olympians. Since its inception, it has generally declined in its moral con­tent. Much of that which passes for entertainment in the Western world today is simply inappropriate contentographic. Regarding all of these abominations, but particularly paganism, the Torah tells us, "You shall utterly detest it and you shall utterly abhor it!" (Deuteronomy 7:26).

The Shema, as well as the remainder of the parashah, goes to explain what it means to "love" Adonai with one's entire being and abilities. In so doing, the parashah reminds us that loving God is not confined to one's inner “feelings” or thoughts, but is equally manifest in the outward actions of one's life. Note the general description:

1) to put the commandments ("these words") upon one's heart,
2) to teach them to one's children, and thus to enable them to put them upon their hearts,
3) to make the commandments of God one's regular conversation, i.e., to be the central core and substance of life itself, which is encouraged by
4) binding the com­mandments upon one's arm and between one's eyes, and
5) writing the commandments upon the doorpost of one's house and upon the gates.

The first duty of God's covenant people is to see to it that His commandments find their regular and constant place of residence to be upon the heart. To have the com­mandments upon one's heart means that they govern the “thoughts” and intents of one's volition, and that they therefore direct one's actions. "As a person thinks within himself, so is he" (Prov 23:7). Our contemporary technological age has coined a phrase with regard to computers: "garbage in, garbage out," meaning that if one inputs false data into a computer program, one can be assured that the computer will generate errors. It is a fitting illustration of our own thinking processes.

To the extent that we allow the ways of the world to dominate our hearts, to that extent our actions will conform to the world.

from Torah club book #5.
http://ffoz.org/

From
Torahresource.com

What is an idol?
The root of the word “Idol” comes from “Idea”.
Idea"result of thinking" "Ideology ... is usually taken to mean, a prescriptive doctrine that is not supported by rational argument." “idolize” Figurative sense of "something idolized" OR covetousness (desire for another's possessions)
NIV says “evil desires and greed, which is idolatry”.

In other words our “desires” start in our minds / Idea. And become Idol to ourselves.
What we think or how we feel about something becomes an Idol to us especially if it contradicts G-ds word.

Therefore if tattoo,or body markings are associated with the dead or any other pagan practice, how can we do it, and then Think [our Idea] in our minds that it is OK, This is “idolatry”. It does not depend on how we feel about something, our feeling can deceive us.

http://www.albatrus.org/english/living/body_mods/what_the_bible_says_about_tattoos.htm

The American Heritage ® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition copyright © The body-marking techniques of tattooing, sanctification, and painting have been used in a vast range of cultures, both ancient and contemporary, for decoration and for communicative purposes... ...Tattooing, the introduction of pigment through punctures in the skin to create patterns, was practiced in ancient Egypt....

BACKGROUND INFORMATION
http://www.uleth.ca/edu/kid_culture/tatoo/page4.html
Although the origin of tattoos is still being disputed, the earliest archeological proof dates back to between 4000 - 2000 B.C. where "tattooed" clay figurines were found in Egypt. It is thought that the process of tattooing began its spread from Egypt somewhere between 2800 - 2600 B.C. to Southern Asia where it became a major part of religious ceremony for the peoples there. Its further spread encompassed Japan - where it was used as a form of ornamental art - as well as more Northern regions such as the British Isles where it was used as a form of identification of family, military rank, etc. Later the art dispersed into the more southern regions such as the Philippines, Borneo and the Pacific Islands. Eventually the spread of tattoos could be, and still can be, witnessed throughout the world - though the exact times of it arrival in many regions is still unknown.
As previously mentioned, throughout the ages tattooing has been utilized in religious ceremonies, used as a form of identification, (identified prisoners - such as in Nazi Germany, family origin, tribal community, and often military rank), and used as a form of ornamental art. Today, these very same uses can still be witnessed, although youth now often have different reasons for getting tattoos. Among these reasons the most common includes using tattoos as a form of self-expression - either to show individuality and uniqueness or to "fit-in" with select social groups or trends. As well, it is not uncommon to have youth admit to tattoos being a form of rebellion against either parents or authority figures in general.

TATTOO: The Cup of Devils
http://www.biblebelievers.com/watkins_tattoos/pagan.html
The birth of the tattoo has always born the fruits of pagan religion and mysticism. Without exception, research after research, study after study, book after book, the roots of the tattoo never wavers. The following documentation is just a small (very small) drop of the ocean of research documenting the pagan and demonic source of the tattoo.

Reactions: Henaynei
Upvote 0

Hadassah

May 22, 2006
Germany
✟15,060.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
this is done within Sephardi Judaism for Weddings and large celebrations.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it as long as pagan symbology is not used. We wanted to do this, but none of us are experienced with henna.

From my understanding, the issue of demonology and Lillith came in lonnnnnng after the fact. What some do/believe should not color everything.

Henna and other makeup were used back in Biblical days even by those in Israel

Reactions: jgonz
Upvote 0

anisavta

Never Forget!
May 25, 2008
Too far away from Jerusalem
✟16,693.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
This is just a point of argument.
Henna and other makeup were used back in Biblical days even by those in Israel

Idol worship was used back in Biblical days even in Israel but was forbidden by HaShem. B'nei Israel did many things that were brought in by pagan nations.

Upvote 0

Tishri1

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I can only speak for myself.... and I say this is clearly witchcraft, demonic and superstition
WOW well that is very interesting makes me thing of the eye charms too that are so popular these days

Upvote 0

nomoreillusions

pigment of my imagination
May 16, 2008
✟15,317.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Engaged
I love henna. It's beautiful, and can be fun amongst 'girlfriends' or even between husband and wife. Like all things, it *can* be used incorrectly, but that does not make it inherently evil or forbidden. It is not making marks *in* the flesh, as a tattoo would, nor is it used as a memorial for the dead. It is no different than using body paint.

Upvote 0

pebblesflintstone

May 23, 2007
✟659.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Hey there,

Just to make it clear the main point in me asking this question was for knowledge and different opinions on the issue, does not mean that I will personally practice it at my wedding. In all you said I agree with the last bit- you see in the end one must know what G-d and his opinions are- human opinions, at least to me, don't matter much if they are not centered on the scriptures. This is why I wanted to ask this question- because when opinions on an issue are substantiated by the scriptures then it earns more ground for belief than if they are not. In any case all of you made very valid points and I appreciate all your input...

Then again I agree with you with religiosity! I am personally not interested in doing things that are not biblical especially at my wedding- but things that are part of my culture (I am Spanish) and don't go against the scriptures is more than fine to do- this is when things tend to clash with some people based on peoples ideology's and perspectives on certain issues that might matter to them but not to me. In the end it is important to voice our opinions and beliefs but also learn that each and everyone is different. Once we see and tolerate our differences we understand just how complex and lovely G-d is.

Now those are pretty, so my next opinion would be if its to the approval of your husband to be and you both feel comfortable with it in light of the leading of the Father too as the wedding is also a covenant celebration with Him:thumbsup:

Remember not all Jews are religious so dont just do what they do with out first checking with our ABBA

Upvote 0

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
I'd like to know what all you think of henna tattoos- from a personal, spiritual perspective-

For those of you who don't know henna is used to adorn the body before, during, a big celebration- It is used at weddings, and also Bat/Bar Mitzvahs... it is not a permanent tattoo but rather body decor...
Immature.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Bananna

Contributor
Site Supporter
Apr 26, 2005
PNW
Visit site
✟31,962.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I believe marking ones body is not pleasing to the L-rd. Because of it’s origin, and Leviticus 19:28. Putting on a temporary tattoo is like saying that, “It’s ok L-rd, see it comes off. If your “Idea” is that tattoos are not displeasing to the L-rd. [shrug]

L-rd bless you in your search.

Do you feel other make- up is also marking the body?.
Do you also object to piercings?.
Personally for me, I think beautifying is fine. As long at it is not done for the Dead. I've done false henna which lasts about three days. I do make up on special occasions. I Do body paint and body stickers/fake tatoos. I've thought about doing indian ink also..
It may be something to do with my dancer mentality, but streamers and body tatoos are fine with me. I don't even condemn those that do permanent tatoos, but like smoking I don't like things that affect the health adversely and permanent tatoos scar as well as stain the skin..
Bananna

Upvote 0

SarahJoy

Apr 12, 2008
Somewhere on this long journey
✟7,755.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
The fact is that God clearly said in Torah that we are not to mark our bodies. What is so hard in understanding that? And I also don't believe in makeup either. To me it is pure vanity. What is it's purpose other than to make yourself look something you are not. God made me, and he made me perfect. Why therefore would I want to change the appearance that God specially gave me?
But then again I do piercings. Bond servants were pierced according to the Torah regulation..
bananna
Bond servants were identified by the piercings. I am servant of God not of man. Besides the idea of punching a hole through my ear and then sticking something through it sound rather... grose.

Reactions: Henaynei
Upvote 0
K

kivi

kivi says: The use of female adornment is commonly refered to all through the Torah, from the nose rings that were given Rivka to the copper mirrors [used by the women to put on make up] that the Jewish women donated for the building of the Temple. Female adornment is referred to as a normal and appropiate behavior in regards to its main purpose, to make women attractive to men and continue normal family relations between wife and husband. Henna, which is, by defintion, temporary, appears to fall within the normal perimeters of cosmetics. Henna is most definitely not a tattoo [which is directly forbidden].

Reactions: Bananna
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hadassah

May 22, 2006
Germany
✟15,060.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
kivi says: The use of female adornment is commonly refered to all through the Torah, from the nose rings that were given Rivka to the copper mirrors [used by the women to put on make up] that the Jewish women donated for the building of the Temple. Female adornment is referred to as a normal and appropiate behavior in regards to its main purpose, to make women attractive to men and continue normal family relations between wife and husband. Henna, which is, by defintion, temporary, appears to fall within the normal perimeters of cosmetics. Henna is most definitely not a tattoo [which is directly forbidden].

Thank you for reiterating this Kivi :thumbsup: This is very true.

G-d did not simply say " do not mark/adorn the body" -- he said not to make markings/cuttings in our flesh for the dead, which was tattooing and cutting that is still done to this day for the dead in some cultures.

Personally, due to the family history with markings such as in the camps -- we don't do tattoos. I'm literally shocked my dh's cousin has been... but she's turned to a real interest with wicca and other earth-based worship systems. :sorry:

Ear and nose peircing was the cultural norm. Women were not the only ones with ear peircings either. The peircing that a bondservant had was completely different. I think the "spacers" folks wear now days is probably the closest we can come to what that used to be. (jmho)

Makeup was employed as was perfume, and the only admonishments I have personally seen in scripture about either was in regards to people who acted as harlots and dressed the part. Obviously there is a happy medium somewhere, we just have to find it.

I've thought to get my nose pierced, but there is such a mentality in my family about peircings.. that I dunno if I'd be allowed back without serious disrespect to my character in front of my son. As is, I get disrespectful comments for my drinking the occasional (celebrations only - one glass) wine or cocktail. (they're teetotalers)

Henna, depending on the type doesn't last long. last I checked, it was classified under makeup and not permanent markings, and isn't done within practicing Judaism for the dead. It's for the living.

I think once we step outside of the Western world into the Eastern, maybe our eyes will open that much more to the possibilities and underlying teachings of Scripture.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
The fact is that God clearly said in Torah that we are not to mark our bodies. What is so hard in understanding that? And I also don't believe in makeup either. To me it is pure vanity. What is it's purpose other than to make yourself look something you are not. God made me, and he made me perfect. Why therefore would I want to change the appearance that God specially gave me?

Bond servants were identified by the piercings. I am servant of God not of man. Besides the idea of punching a hole through my ear and then sticking something through it sound rather... gross.
I agree with much said here...

I have mostly not worn makeup in ages - I have used a foundation and a neutral lip stick for job interviews.... but mostly I consider using tools like that to make myself "attractive" counterproductive and I have to ask myself whom or what it is that I am trying to attract?? I have my husband, who fell in love with me without makeup, thank you :).... for me it is a modesty thing and choosing those things which do not draw deliberate or focused attention to me to display my features to the public.... for me this also includes covering my hair, wearing upper clothing that has shallow necklines and are not form-fitting and lower clothing that loosely covers my legs, i.e. for me means long loose skirts.....

Upvote 0

Bananna

Contributor
Site Supporter
Apr 26, 2005
PNW
Visit site
✟31,962.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think if my culture had some anti biblical application for earings and nose rings and henna tatoos I might add another halacha about it.My understanding is that the markings and cuttings cannot be done for the dead.I don't have all the verses pertaining to these any more. Anyone care to start the plumb line? (scripture referrences)bananna

Upvote 0

pebblesflintstone

May 23, 2007
✟659.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I think we need to be very careful not to judge people and categorize them as being "vain" just because they were make up. Vanity is an issue of the heart as well.. and many many people that don't believe in make up are vain. It's much more than make up, jewelry, piercings, etc. Also that is a personal conviction. Not a biblical one- so I believe we must be careful not to judge people based on that.

We also must respect other peoples opinions and believes on issues such as these. The reality is none of this is biblical and like many posters have said- earrings are mentioned in the bible and NOT in a negative context (and if there are any verses that are in a negative light, please enlighten me on the verses) . In the end it's up to personal conviction. We are allowed to and think as we wish. But I think once we IMPOSE our own personal convictions on others we have the tendency to become critical and it's not worth dividing and separating based on those outward issues.

Just my opinions and thoughts :)

Bond servants were identified by the piercings. I am servant of God not of man. Besides the idea of punching a hole through my ear and then sticking something through it sound rather... grose.

Reactions: Bananna
Upvote 0

nataliya

Mar 19, 2016
USA
✟15,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love henna. It's beautiful, and can be fun amongst 'girlfriends' or even between husband and wife. Like all things, it *can* be used incorrectly, but that does not make it inherently evil or forbidden. It is not making marks *in* the flesh, as a tattoo would, nor is it used as a memorial for the dead. It is no different than using body paint.
I like henna to and even did to mysellf once. I thought a long time before I choose one from
http://tattoo-journal.com/25-beautiful-henna-tattoo-patterns-for-inspiration/
and made one. I don't think any bad in this one, I don't think that is something wrong and going
contrary with the Bible. But it's only my opinion of course.

Attachments

• henna-tattoo-36-650x650.jpg
    henna-tattoo-36-650x650.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0