May 23, 2007
✟659.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to know what all you think of henna tattoos- from a personal, spiritual perspective-

For those of you who don't know henna is used to adorn the body before, during, a big celebration- It is used at weddings, and also Bat/Bar Mitzvahs... it is not a permanent tattoo but rather body decor...

Reactions: LaSorcia

Torah

Senior Veteran
Oct 24, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟12,588.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to know what all you think of henna tattoos- from a personal, spiritual perspective-

For those of you who don't know henna is used to adorn the body before, during, a big celebration- It is used at weddings, and also Bat/Bar Mitzvahs... it is not a permanent tattoo but rather body decor...
I believe marking ones body is not pleasing to the L-rd. Because of it’s origin, and Leviticus 19:28. Putting on a temporary tattoo is like saying that, “It’s ok L-rd, see it comes off. If your “Idea” is that tattoos are not displeasing to the L-rd. [shrug]

L-rd bless you in your search.

Upvote 0

pebblesflintstone

May 23, 2007
✟659.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
8828-henna-tattoo.jpg

8831-henna-tattoo-designs.jpg

Natural%20henna.jpg

These are some traditional henna- you can find more info online!

Upvote 0

anisavta

Never Forget!
May 25, 2008
Too far away from Jerusalem
✟16,693.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
HaShem made it clear from the beginning that His people - the Jewish Nation was to be set apart for Him, called out and separate.
That being the case and reading about the history of henna I feel it should not be done.

The history and origin of Henna is hard to trace with centuries of migration and cultural interaction it is difficult to determine where particular traditions began. There is very persuasive evidence that the Neolithic people in Catal Huyuk, in the 7th millennium BC, used henna to ornament their hands in connection with their fertility goddess.
The earliest civilizations to have used henna include the Babylonians, Assyrians, Sumerians, Semites, Ugaritics and Canaanites. The earliest written evidence that mentions henna specifically used as an adornment for a bride or woman's special occasion is in the Ugaritic legend of Baal and Anath, inscribed on a tablet dating back to 2100 BC, found in northwest Syria. Henna has also been used extensively in southern China and has been associated with erotic rituals for at least three thousand years, during the ancient Goddess cultures.
The use of Henna in the 4th-5th centuries in the Deccan of western India is clearly illustrated on Bodhisattvas and deities of cave wall murals at Ajanta, and in similar cave paintings in Sri Lanka. The evidence proves henna usage in India seven centuries before the Moghul invasion, and hundreds of years before the inception of the Islamic religion, which began in the mid-7th century AD. The word Henna has its origin in the Arabic word Al-Hinna.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Leviticus 19:28 (Amplified) which says, "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord."

it's very clear the intended purpose is important in this edict, i.e. "for the dead"... in other words, no memorial tattoos

1 Kings 18:28: "And they cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lancets, till the blood gushed out upon them."
Deuteronomy 14:1(Amplified): "Ye are the sons of the LORD your God; you shall not cut yourselves, nor make any baldness on your foreheads for the dead."

same with these... one is related to idol worship (which i'd venture to say most henna tattoos are not doing) and the other, again, for the dead

• Agree
Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
HaShem made it clear from the beginning that His people - the Jewish Nation was to be set apart for Him, called out and separate.
That being the case and reading about the history of henna I feel it should not be done.

The history and origin of Henna is hard to trace with centuries of migration and cultural interaction it is difficult to determine where particular traditions began. There is very persuasive evidence that the Neolithic people in Catal Huyuk, in the 7th millennium BC, used henna to ornament their hands in connection with their fertility goddess.
The earliest civilizations to have used henna include the Babylonians, Assyrians, Sumerians, Semites, Ugaritics and Canaanites. The earliest written evidence that mentions henna specifically used as an adornment for a bride or woman's special occasion is in the Ugaritic legend of Baal and Anath, inscribed on a tablet dating back to 2100 BC, found in northwest Syria. Henna has also been used extensively in southern China and has been associated with erotic rituals for at least three thousand years, during the ancient Goddess cultures.
The use of Henna in the 4th-5th centuries in the Deccan of western India is clearly illustrated on Bodhisattvas and deities of cave wall murals at Ajanta, and in similar cave paintings in Sri Lanka. The evidence proves henna usage in India seven centuries before the Moghul invasion, and hundreds of years before the inception of the Islamic religion, which began in the mid-7th century AD. The word Henna has its origin in the Arabic word Al-Hinna.
Good research there!! Good work.... And even though my initial reaction to the OP was that henna decoration was little different from standard makeup in use.... after reviewing the history I have to agree with your conclusion as well.... "come out from her My people" and "be ye separate" and "do not those things done (as worship) by the pagan peoples."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tishri1

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Well seeing it in those pics I just see something like the artwork another culture uses, it didnt look Messianic or Jewish so thats a red flag right there(for me)...I also know that the Bible tells us not to follow the customs of other nations(yes only specific customs and not every custom is bad)...and particularly one in marking the body....maybe a case can be made for having tatoos I know My son is in a christian rock band and they have tatoos but my son does not and has no plans to mark his body either... I believe the Scripture readings we had each week growing up helped him know in his heart he shouldnt do this to his body.

I cant speak for a group of MJs doing this for weddings and Bar/Bat Mitvahs, Im still curious how they do this and what the body art looks like

Upvote 0

anisavta

Never Forget!
May 25, 2008
✟16,693.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Interesting - I just lost my reply to this - coinkidinkle? Maybe- maybe not...

Lets try again.
As beautiful as the artwork is (although the first set of pics had pagan written all over them) I still think it is just one more way to compromise and assimilate into the world of which we are not to be a part of.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
but really, it in and of itself, when not used for pagan ideation, etc or in mimicry of any other society then it's fine otherwise you have to reject any other form of anything that begins in another society.

The first archaeological evid of cosmetics comes from Egypt, not from Judaism... and was associated with worship in certain circumstances... so you shouldn't wear that right?

Possibly you shouldn't use medications. Prehistoric medicine incorporated plants (herbalism), animal parts and minerals. In many cases these materials were used ritually as magical substances by priests, shamans, or medicine men.

oh..

and don't wear glasses: The earliest historical reference to magnification dates back to ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs in the 8th century BC, which depict "simple glass meniscal lenses".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

jgonz

What G-d calls you to do, He equips you to do.
Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Before my computer crashed last year, I had a LOT of links to sites that had Jewish traditional henna patterns, as well as other middle eastern traditional henna.

I think it's Beautiful, and it's certainly less of a committment than a regular tattoo. ;)

Upvote 0

Tishri1

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Now those are pretty, so my next opinion would be if its to the approval of your husband to be and you both feel comfortable with it in light of the leading of the Father too as the wedding is also a covenant celebration with Him:thumbsup:

Remember not all Jews are religious so dont just do what they do with out first checking with our ABBA

Upvote 0

anisavta

Never Forget!
May 25, 2008
✟16,693.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I suppose like anything else it must be a matter of conviction.
But it seems to me we are more interested in fitting in with the world than staying out of it.
My question is how do we draw lines? How do we convince non believers that we are set apart and holy when we look sound and act just like them?

Upvote 0