Helping those who will not help themselves in the Bible?

HumbleBee

Jan 8, 2004
✟3,212.00
Faith
Christian
Someone like that would be oppressed, depressed, and or afflicted in some way...so the following Scriptures would say be kind...however you must exercise wisdom and keen discernment...people could take advantage of your Divinely-inspired kindness and faithfulness, yet have no intention of converting to Christ, nor changing their habitual sinful ways.

2 Samuel 9:3 The king asked, "Is there no one still left of the house of Saul to whom I can show God's kindness?" Ziba answered the king, "There is still a son of Jonathan; he is crippled in both feet."

Job 6:14 To him who is afflicted, kindness should be shown by his friend, even though he forsakes the fear of the Almighty.

Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon Me, because the LORD has anointed Me to preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound...

Matthew 7:6 Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.

Luke 6:35-36 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because He is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

John 5:5-6 Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, “Do you want to be made well?”

Upvote 0

James4210

Jan 29, 2004
Brighton
✟7,747.00
Faith
Christian
Genuine said:
Hey y'all~! I'm looking for verses on the subject of helping/not helping people who won't help themselves.

Thanks! :wave:

Saint Ignious wrote "pray as if everything depends on God, and work as if everything depends on you"

Also Jesus says take up my yoke, the person must walk with Christ not expect Christ to walk for them.

Upvote 0

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
the phrase God helps those who helps themselves is not scriptural, but there lots of ministries who help people whether or not they can help themselves. Like I was reading today about the good samaritan who helped a Jew who got attacked by robbers. He was the one who showed mercy rather than a priest and Levite who passed ( who theoretically could have helped him, being fellow Jews)

I have been to the Salvation army for baskets before a few years back and I can tell you not all people who go there are lazy and don't want to work. Some people got hurt on the job and can't work, or lost their job, etc. They could not help what happened to them.

I think it's better to be in a position where I am thankful for God's mercy and grace and for what He gives me, than to be in a position I got my answer because I did x and y. Like I deserved it all along.

Man always wants to think he's deserved things because he's "worked" for them somehow.
Jan

Jan

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sometimes people just need temporary encouragement, but outsiders worry about them getting too clingy and dependent. A small boost might be all they need to start moving again.

Leviticus is full of instructions on caring for the needy.
http://studylight.org/desk/?query=le+25&t=nas&st=1&new=1&l=en

Lev. 25:25
If a fellow countryman of yours becomes so poor he has to sell part of his property, then his nearest kinsman is to come and buy back what his relative has sold

But if he has not found sufficient means to get it back for himself, then what he has sold shall remain in the hands of its purchaser until the year of jubilee; but at the jubilee it shall revert, that he may return to his property.

Now in case a countryman of yours becomes poor and his means with regard to you falter, then you are to sustain him, like a stranger or a sojourner, that he may live with you. Do not take usurious interest from him, but revere your God, that your countryman may live with you. You shall not give him your silver at interest, nor your food for gain.

Isaiah 10:1-4
Woe to those who ...deprive the needy of justice and rob the poor of My people of their rights, so that widows may be their spoil and that they may plunder the orphans.

On the other hand, there are directives for us to work (not condemning those who don't.) I see this as an ethical standard that we live by, not how we choose to give to others.

Pr 18:9
He also who is slack in his work is brother to him who destroys.

Proverbs 21:25-26
The desire of the sluggard puts him to death, For his hands refuse to work; All day long he is craving, While the righteous gives and does not hold back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If someone is unwilling to help themselves (assuming we can know that for sure) how willing are we to let their children go hungry or without shoes in the winter?

Personally, I'd far rather explain to God how I let myself be taken advantage of a time or two, then how I let children go to sleep cold and hungry.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Let's note the question was of helping / not helping those who will not ,( not cannot ) help themselves .

For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.
For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened:
But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality.
<-----> 2nd Corinthians 8:12-14

Clearly , the help (that those who have given up on doing what they can to help themself) are in need of is spiritual in nature . They are those with a wounded spirit .

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is able to heal our wounded spirit , if we can hear it .

Those who can hear Christ's Gospel will respond positively , and show real evidence of their spirit being healed . These stand to benefit the most from other helpful acts of charity .

Those who cannot hear The Gospel will not respond positively , and consequently will not be able to truly benefit from lesser forms of sharing ... but that may change - yet , it usually takes a cessation of the enablement which allows one to continue " getting by " , as an unbeliever .

If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, [The Doctrine of Christ ] receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
<-----> 2nd John 1:10+11

As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith. <-----> Galatians 6:10

When Jesus said -

...When thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:
And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.
<-----> Luke 14:13+14

He didn't specify whether such were guilty , or not of not helping themselves ...

However , when many began to follow Jesus for the " free food " , he basically rebuked them .

Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
<-----> John 6:26+27

And said things which severed the " appetite driven " from those who were faith led .

Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you....

Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? ...

From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
<-----> John 6:53, 60 + 66

Because He knew that feeding people physically who presently had little , or no interest in feeding spiritually was not only insufficient for Salvation , but would adversely encumber His Ministry .

Nevertheless , whenever any demonstrated that Christ's Father had given them a softened heart capable of believing , Jesus welcomed them into His Fold .

All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. <-----> John 6:37

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. <-----> John 6:44

In summary - Our charity should always have The Gospel integrated within it from start to finish ; and those who respond well to The Gospel of Christ , are best suited for the further investing of our labor of love unto good fruit that will bring glory to God .

Peace and Joy , in Christ's Righteousness.

wm

Reactions: DaveM
Upvote 0