Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
It was a sleepless night. The wife is refusing to acknowledge me in the house and I am so upset.
I am so afraid of the future and wish me and the wife could sort it out. She admits she does not know what to do with the Son's behaviour's but immediately shoots down with vigour anything I suggest. I really feel crushed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jose, I think your advice would be great if he didn't have a daughter or a marriage that could be salvaged. If he proceeds with your advice it will likely result in great harm to his daughter and the end of his marriage.

I would not advocate he prioritize the son above the daughter.

Blended families are notoriously difficult due to this division of loyalties on the part of the natural parent. A marriage expert that I have found to be very astute at marital issues, Dr. Harley at marriagebuilders.com, always advises that the natural parent handle the discipline instead of the step parent because when the step parent does, the marriage often breaks down and situations like this occur.

Dr. Harley has researched 10,000's of marriages to identify patterns of failure and success so he can understand what usually works and what usually doesn't. He finds a pretty clear cut, repeatable pattern to both so he advises according to what he has seen work.

In this case, I'm surprised that it went to this extent because the boy was still a baby when the household blended.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was a sleepless night. The wife is refusing to acknowledge me in the house and I am so upset.
I am so afraid of the future and wish me and the wife could sort it out. She admits she does not know what to do with the Son's behaviour's but immediately shots down with vigour anything I suggest. I really feel crushed.

You will either need to find a way to negotiate a situation that works for both of you or your marriage will fail. I'm very sorry you are in this situation.

I would not allow your marriage counselor to focus on the "she did/he did" litany that he/she seemed to foster at your last meeting, but rather on "I love my wife and want to stay married to her. We need to find a solution that works for both of us. This is my suggestion (temporary separation) but if this doesn't work for her, for this session I would love to work on ideas together until one works for both of us." Don't take your turn to lambast her at the next session as that will be very destructive to your marriage.

Can you call your counselor to have the next session moved up?

If the counselor is unable to facilitate the discussion you need and instead just lets the wife have another go at you, find a different counselor. That one is either incompetent (likely, based on the first session) or he/she likes marital conflict so they can bill more.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The wife has made it very clear, he is going nowhere.
He has been on a mission to get me out for years. Even saying to his mum "I was here first."

Lots of 18-year-olds might like their own apartment. Of course, if he was back home in month 2 or 3 after not paying the rent, that may not work out so well.

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here below are a few sentences that FGEH has posted that describe some of the activities of his son.

Quote By FGEH
He has been ripping me off for years, not just money but anything of value. He is 18 now and is still doing it. He even brazenly admits it and says it is to "support his lifestyle" (drugs)

it is my money/jewellery/possessions that have been stolen, (he doesn't steal her things) She expects me to just "get over it,"

FGEH
You tell us that your son has put your health in great danger and is using your home for a drug den in addition to his stealing from you and mocking you.

In your latest post you have stated that your son’s mission is to get you out of the house.

You have tried to get your wife to help you with this situation but she refuses and tells you that her son is number one and backs him up against you. She is not showing you proper respect and has refused to handle the discipline even though she is the natural parent.

If you continue to allow this situation to go on your emotional and physical health may fail completely and you will become a complete door mat and be no good to any one including yourself.

I know that you are in a very tough situation but your wife and son have FORCED you to be in the middle of this situation that could ruin your life and others in the family. You have two choices; to act or not act.

GET ALL THE HELP THAT YOU CAN FROM EVERY SOURCE because it will take a lot of strength to take actions that will bring about some consequences and relief. It would be great if you loving your wife and her cooperation would change things for the better but that has not worked. Do you have any options different from what I have suggested in this thread that will improve the situation so that your heath does not fail?

Upvote 0

FGEH

Oct 11, 2017
Manchester
✟17,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
FGEH
You tell us that your son has put your health in great danger and is using your home for a drug den in addition to his stealing from you and mocking you.

In your latest post you have stated that your son’s mission is to get you out of the house.

You have tried to get your wife to help you with this situation but she refuses and tells you that her son is number one and backs him up against you. She is not showing you proper respect and has refused to handle the discipline even though she is the natural parent.

If you continue to allow this situation to go on your emotional and physical health may fail completely and you will become a complete door mat and be no good to any one including yourself.

I know that you are in a very tough situation but your wife and son have FORCED you to be in the middle of this situation that could ruin your life and others in the family. You have two choices; to act or not act.

GET ALL THE HELP THAT YOU CAN FROM EVERY SOURCE because it will take a lot of strength to take actions that will bring about some consequences and relief. It would be great if you loving your wife and her cooperation would change things for the better but that has not worked. Do you have any options different from what I have suggested in this thread that will improve the situation so that your heath does not fail?

I do not have any suggestions. I feel broken, used and institutionalised. I am scared to leave, scared to stay. I have been with my wife since my early twenties. I can't even remember what it was like to be single.
The years of emotional trauma have eaten away at me and now I feel lost. Things would have to drastically change to save this marriage and that's not looking likely. The worse thing at the minute is I am lacking the courage to be a man.

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not have any suggestions. I feel broken, used and institutionalised. I am scared to leave, scared to stay. I have been with my wife since my early twenties. I can't even remember what it was like to be single.
The years of emotional trauma have eaten away at me and now I feel lost. Things would have to drastically change to save this marriage and that's not looking likely. The worse thing at the minute is I am lacking the courage to be a man.

I understand your paralysis that is why I said to “GET ALL THE HELP THAT YOU CAN FROM EVERY SOURCE”..You are in no shape right now to take the tough actions that are required. However, you are in good enough shape to seek out help; getting the help that we can offer on this internet board is not enough.

Go find a group that has similar problems, go get professional help, go to family, friends, or utilize your faith and community supports. You can do this. Even if the first few do not help enough DO NOT QUIT! You may have to lower your pride and become more humble but since you tell us that you are broken. Most of us become broken at one time in life but you must force yourself to do what you can until you are strong enough to take stronger actions.

These groups may not have the magic bullet to solve all your problems but they can help you build yourself up. You are a good man that has been torn down and you need to know that others have been in your position to some degree and have overcome…You also need people to reinforce the truth that you are a worthy and decent man. Finally, you need to get more faith that God knows your situation and can help you work all things for your good. You may have to suffer for a while but suffering can bring about growth. Keep your eye on God and do your part and hold on and build up that mustard seed of faith.

but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint

Isaiah 40:31

Isaiah 41:10

10 Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.

• Agree
Reactions: FGEH
Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If your wife will not work together on a solution with you, you'll likely need to take adversarial action against the son as Jose has advised.

Your best bet is to find a plan for the son and living arrangements you and the wife both can agree on. It will take a third party to help you find that plan because the two of you have too much history of misunderstandings.

Brainstorming options:
--rent a separate apartment for the son and agree to prepay the first year's rent (so he can get a lease without your co-signature). Agree that he has to work for his own groceries and spending money and will be responsible for his own rent after the year.
--wife and son live in an apartment; you and daughter live in the home (so home is not endangered with a drug forfeiture). You and the wife date and rebuild your relationship. When she's ready to let the son live on his own she can move back in.
--put the son in rehab.
--send the son to a military boarding school before his behavior puts him in jail.
--have the son enlist in the army (depending upon their drug testing)
--have the son get a job on a cruise ship.
--etc. etc etc - there are 100's of options --

If the wife is unwilling to negotiate or change anything, then perhaps the adversarial action Jose suggests are unavoidable. However, please quickly get a local job (or take leave from yours or quit yours) so your daughter can live with you.

You mention you are away for weeks at a time. This is so completely unfair to your daughter. You are leaving her behind in a mess you aren't strong enough to stand yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: FGEH
Upvote 0

FGEH

Oct 11, 2017
Manchester
✟17,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Now that it has been a few weeks, I thought I would provide you all with an update.
The day after I asked for the separation, my wife called me during the day asking to talk. I made it clear I did not want to argue nor would I allow her to just start tearing lumps out of me with her shouting and screaming. But it wasn't like that, she was tearful, apologised and asked if we could work it out. I was honest and said I don't really see a way as long as the son lives here. He is not going to stop deliberately trying to make my life hell nor do I see the wife putting a stop to it the way she should have years ago. She acknowledged she got it wrong in the past but tried to slope most the blame onto my shoulders which angered me. She even said "I will accept 50/50 blame." Absolutely laughable. I would put the blame 80/20 onto her side and that is me being generous. I am not saying I have been perfect here but, his actions and the wife's reluctance to deal with it properly is what has been the bad seed that has now grown into a very poisonous tree. However, I agreed to attend the next counselling session and see what happens. That evening, the usual happened, a drugged up waste of skin was banging on my front door at 0230 demanding entry. The wife woke up and answered the door as I have always refused too. I heard them talking downstairs but I didn't get involved. The talk mainly consisted of her being soft with him and asking him again to please stop doing this s**t but it fell on deaf ears. That is the usual on most nights in our house. The wife works during the week and she has to be up at this time to wipe this scum's a$%e. Anyway, as she was fresh after our "talk" and she "grounded" him. Laughable. I have seen his grounding before. The next day after his "come down" was complete. He just walked out of the house as he usually does. The wife found out and went ape. Telling me and others "that's it now." I have heard that before. He never returned at all that evening which again isn't unusual but then he showed up at midday wanting to come in. Just the usual, fill his pockets and bag with food he doesn't buy or ask for, take a shower and look for something quick and easy to steal and then head back out. But I was surprised to find the wife refuse to answer the door or to let him in. She was being defiant and text him saying he isn't coming in. I have never seen this stance from the wife before but I was proud off her and to me it showed a commitment to me and our marriage. Day 1 she told everybody "he is never coming back. That is it now." Day 2 "I need to find somewhere for him to live." Day 3 "I hope he is OK." Day 4 "This is horrible, I can't cope." Day 5 "I can't cope, I can't cope." Day 6 "I am going to take him to a relatives for the night." Day 7 "I want him to come home. We have proved our point."
I wasn't trying to prove a point. I just wanted him gone. Those 7 days were bliss for me and my daughter in the house. We were relaxed, at ease and enjoying each others company. The wife however was sick with worry, Anxious, tearful, angry and very passive aggressive. She would tear mine or the daughters head off in an instant for something so minor. Sound familiar? Everything she has experienced for those 6 days were exactly how I have been for the best part of 3 years.
By this time we had another counselling session where the wife put on the water works all the way through and wanted to be worshipped about the son saying "I did it for you." She should have done it for herself, the marriage, our daughter and our home but because she did this for 6 days she now thinks I "should get back in my box." As part of this counselling session, it was all about negotiation and give and take. I have grew tired of giving even though the wife thinks I have never given enough but we sat down that night to discuss the scum's return to our home. I told her that she said that was it and yet again she has back tracked and she denied ever saying "that was it" (bang my head on the wall) and that "we have proved our point. He knows now." He wanted back in because he had run out of favours at friends houses and was hungry and had no money so had no drugs or didn't have anything to steal. I didn't want him back in the home period. Learning what I had at counselling with negotiation and give and take, we settled on him returning to the home but on MY terms. My terms were not too hard or intrusive. I made up a list of rules that he had to abide by. Really simple basic stuff that most people abide to anyway. Things like no drugs in the house, no more thefts, not allowed into the house on your own, you are to get a job etc etc. I signed it, the wife signed it and so did he. The stipulation for these rules were that these are permanent. Not just for a week or a month but for as long as you are in my home and should you breach just one rule once you are out for good. The wife agreed wholeheartedly as did the son. So he returned that evening looking sheepish, stinking of BO and drug use. He had a shower and went to bed.
Guess how long he lasted on these basic rules? 10 days. 10 days later whilst I was at work, he phoned his mother wanting in to the house during the day as he said "I can't be ars$%d going to college today. The wife denied him access in accordance with the rules and to go to college. He then hung up, went around the back of my house and kicked the back door in. Opened it up from the inside, brought his drug mates in, had a party, stole several items and was gone by the time the wife got home that evening. This guy is utter utter scum. The police have been called and they are looking for him but have said they will not arrest him but will only give him a caution as it was technically his own house. I cannot tell you how angry I am. Of course he did this whilst I was away at work. He would not have dared to do it had I have been there. That is what kind off man he is.
So we are back to this same cycle. Day 1. "That's it. He is gone for good now." Day 2 "I am going to get him a place at this young adults hostel." (this place is renowned for being a hard knocks place. Housing 16-25 year old delinquents and there is no doubt my son would get torn apart in there. Good.) Day 3. "I can't cope. I am so upset. I do not want him to go in there." Then she sneakily made steps to this hostel to try and cancel his place which I later found out. This is where we are up to presently. Lets see what day 4 brings. But I feel I have given everything to this marriage and even agreed 2 weeks ago to let him back in but his bullsh&*t stops. Well it is evident he hasn't and the wife agreed with me that if he messes up again he is gone for good but I can already sense the wife's back track happening. She lasted 6 days before. How long this time? She will quash all options off him going somewhere else then will say "he has to come home, there is no-where for him to go." It won't work, I don't care if he has no-where to go. I have no sympathy and anything that happens to him is fully deserved in my opinion for all of the misery he has caused. I also think some hard time in this young adult place might even do him some good.
The bottom line is, I am not allowing him back in my home period. How can I after everything he has done? He has now escalated to burglary and does not feel the least bit bad about what he has done but as usual the wife is already looking for excuses for his behaviour. I know what is coming in a day or so, the wife is going to ask to bring him home which I will deny. She will do it anyway and then our marriage is well and truly over. If she cannot stick to what we agreed and respect me then I am not going to carry on living in this hell. If I let him back in, it means my word stands for nothing and I will be a total "Mug" which he will see as free reign to do whatever he likes. (he does anyway I guess)
Which ever way it goes. I am removing this parasite from my life.
Bless you all for your prayers so far. It means a lot it really does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was just thinking about you today!

Having your wife agree to evict the son if he misbehaved was a huge success. A very important step for your marriage. She had to choose, and she chose you.

You can make a lot of love deposits in your wife's bank by being her rock during this time that she is struggling to let the mommy strings go. Stand firm on your mutual decision, but stand with her.

You can touch base with her each day to see how she's doing, and ask her how you can support her in what she needs to do next, etc etc. That it is her fault she is in this situation is beside the point and history, so be sure to not be rubbing that salt into her wounds but only supporting her current very brave and difficult actions. Doing this proactively may head off an event you are predicting and dreading - that she breaks back down in a few days and brings him back.

Mothers' hearts are way softer than most fathers' hearts -some so soft as to the children's destruction as you have seen. She doesn't know how to be the mother he needs right now; she just knows how her heart is wrenching to see him "needing" something she is depriving him of, but she has come a long way in just deciding that he either shapes up or ships out. That was 90% of your battle. It seems like your marriage is nearly the victor now.

Be careful to keep your communications to her caring (while not backing down from what you need) and not forcefully demanding. You want this process to be an "us" thing, and a process where she remembers how much you supported her rather than remembering the trauma of your angry, forceful demands.

If you have been less than tender towards her throughout this process, apologize for that and tell her you have her back and you REALLY admire and appreciate the steps she is taking. That you're there for her. Be her #1 cheerleader.

I say all this as a mom who has experienced how my husband's perspective only improves their well being since my heart can be also too tender towards them. Since they are not his children, communication our mutual decision after we discuss the matter, which often involves some tough love, is up to me. My husband is my rock and if I don't get it quite right we discuss and with his support and encouragement I go out and make a course correction. If he were angry and demanding of these things it would probably destroy our marriage - I would be caught between two impossible wedges. Instead he makes huge deposits in my love bank for caring about my children and supporting me as I work to deliver effective training to my teenagers.

Although you are still in a difficult moment, this update is actually very hopeful. I'll be praying for your wife to stand strong over the next several days.

God bless you, your wife, your daughter and may He connect in some way to your lost son.
E.

Upvote 0

DavidFirth

Saved by the blood of the Lamb
Site Supporter
Nov 8, 2017
North Georgia
✟47,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sadly, I was caught up in a similar relationship as the OP. Mine ended in divorce after 3 years of a tough marriage. God forgive me but looking back I'm glad it did. The child turned out spoiled rotten while my son is a good Christian man. The ex didnt remarry for 10 years and I do hope she's happy. I've been remarried for more than a decade and I'm happy I've got someone I have a real relationship with.

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your wife has made some progress but she is proven that she is still too weak to take strong long term action to give her son a chance at breaking his lifestyle. I agree with Endeavourer that it is important to support your wife but YOU CAN NOT BACK DOWN FROM WHAT YOU DESPERATLY WANT AND FROM YOUR DECISION. Your decision and conclusion is 100% correct for you and your family. You cannot back down even if your wife will not support you 100%.

Here are your absolute priorities;

1. You and God
  2. Your marriage—your wife
  3. Helping the addict

You must do what is best for you right now as you have told us how utterly torn down you are…You are in danger of total collapse emotionally and maybe physically…Your wife must back you up 100% because that is what is needed for you to save yourself and afford the opportunity for the addict to make a real turn around. If your wife does not back you 100% then you only have the option to save yourself.

Your wife may not know and understand that she is dealing with an addict and that reason and logic will not change him. Her love will not break his habit nor will being soft. With consequences he has a chance of breaking from his bondage. However, your job is to save you and if you want to possibly try and save the marriage. Ultimately, your addict will have to make the changes that will break his addiction; you nor your wife have that power.

I am not giving you this advice because of some book I read; I am giving you this advice from experience with an addict.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@sdmsanjose, great advice. FGEH cannot tolerate the son coming back. Do you know of any books about addicts that were particularly good that may help FGEH's wife?

FGEH, as you are experiencing, you can't protect an addict from hitting the bottom or else he will just dwell in the pit of his addiction that much longer, dragging everyone around him down with him. An addict is incapable of thinking of anyone else while they are craving their next hit. The more your wife understands this the better for her and her son.

FGEH, be proactive in discussing next steps with your wife. She is unwinding her God-given attachment to her son that she has, sadly, used incorrectly, to the destruction of the son. However, she is going the the process of detaching from a child she loves dearly and it's very difficult. The reason so many blended marriages fail is because the child attachment often proves to be stronger than the spousal attachment. You really need to be her rock during this awful moment in her life.

Upvote 0

FGEH

Oct 11, 2017
Manchester
✟17,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I have tired and I am being supportive. I have told her I love her and that I am proud of her. She is in bits and I feel really bad for her but this only makes me resent the son more. I hate him for what he has done to us all.
I fully understand my wife’s maternal instincts and how hard it might be but, on the other side of the coin, when is enough? Where is her care and respect for her husband who has been completely destroyed emotionally for years? Where are her maternal instincts for our daughter who she now mainly ignores because he gets all of her attention? I can’t believe it has gone this far and he has faced no consequences. What is he capable off next? I fear for all of our safety’s as he is a proud knife carrier (mine previously stolen) and he is unpredictable and violent.
I will love and support my wife with everything I have. Even though she is being very rude to me and nasty.
She is the biggest “Passive Aggressive” person I have ever known. She is scared of confrontation and will not do it. So, son plays up or she has a bad day at work, she will do nothing until she comes home and using me as her emotional punchbag.
I am so tired.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will love and support my wife with everything I have. Even though she is being very rude to me and nasty.
She is the biggest “Passive Aggressive” person I have ever known. She is scared of confrontation and will not do it. So, son plays up or she has a bad day at work, she will do nothing until she comes home and using me as her emotional punchbag.
I am so tired.

Good man! It's very hard right now, and you wouldn't provide this one-sided support forever.

She too, is in the fog of an addiction to enabling her son. An addictive alien is inhabiting her brain. She will need some weeks (or sometimes it takes even a month or three) for her head to clear once the son is gone.

Her behaviors are textbook typical of someone who was caught having an affair and is breaking it up. They treat the betrayed spouse like crap until their head clears from the addiction they had to their affair partner. While she was not having a sexual affair with her son, her addiction to him and the fog she will be in as she "breaks up" with him will not make her a pleasant person for a while.

The women who are caught in affairs and are pursued back by their husbands behave just like your wife is now, but when the dust settles, the women are *SO GRATEFUL* to their husbands for wanting them so much that the husband persisted through all the crud the wife dished to them.

If after a few weeks with her son gone, her attitude has not changed, and you become weary of pursuing her, let's discuss that more. You cannot sustain this one sided support indefinitely, nor should you.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That said, she will be grieving her son's situation and longing for his healing long term.

Supporting her in this will probably be required somewhat indefinitely until the son is either killed from his substance or the danger he gets into, or until he withdraws from his substance.

Supporting her grief is different than supporting her rotten (hopefully temporary) behavior.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where is her care and respect for her husband who has been completely destroyed emotionally for years? Where are her maternal instincts for our daughter who she now mainly ignores because he gets all of her attention? I can’t believe it has gone this far and he has faced no consequences.

She seems to also suffer an addiction to her son. I hope and pray that she can emerge from that. A marriage with an addict will never work because the addict always puts their substance first, as she has put her son first.

If she cannot emerge from that, if she cannot begin devoting energy to your daughter or to you, eventually you will need to make a choice whether or not to separate for the good of your daughter and yourself.

How is your search for a local job coming along?

Upvote 0