Hokkaido
✟15,689.00
Country
Japan
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hey, I like to write for fun and I’m wondering if there are any ways I should approach worldbuilding with. A lot of fantasy worlds make up their own mythologies and gods and such. How do I worldbuild in relation to Christianity?

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hey, I like to write for fun and I’m wondering if there are any ways I should approach worldbuilding with. A lot of fantasy worlds make up their own mythologies and gods and such. How do I worldbuild in relation to Christianity?

This book can give you some ideas on how four dimensional space - time and fifth and sixth are operational in and behind the scenes in England.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I believe that the near death experience of Dr. George Ritchie on near-death .com will help you. He was shown events going on in four higher invisible dimensions that sure fits with the Christian scriptures.

Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"How do I worldbuild in relation to Christianity?"

Me: *sees "profile lists as Atheist* Um... okay.

Actually, not being a Christian might put you in the perfect position to base your fantasy works in Christianity. Too many Christian-based stories get too preachy, rather than just developing an interesting world and story.

Here's a few ideas: read some of the Bible. There are a lot of elements of the Bible which are very fantastic. You have prophets who are basically wizards, demons, angels, all manner of crazy creatures (read the book of Revelation for some fun ideas), and magic. I'm working on my own fantasy series where, while not explicitly Christian, does have Christian messages, and magic is a part of that world, because people seem to forget that God has magic, too! I mean, you can call them miracles and try to differentiate them, but Satan was a fallen angel. None of his power, even magic, is something that he made himself. God gave it to him. Ergo, while a lot of people condemn fantasy for "promoting sorcery and witchcraft", I see it as there are two types of magic: good and evil.

A lot of fantasy can stem from Christianity. The golem was something which originally came from Jewish stories of a rabbi making a clay statue and God giving it life. Approaching Christianity as an atheist may be beneficial to you, because you can view it the way people view, say, Greek mythology, and you can build upon it for the sake of creating an interesting world, not for preaching a message.

Want some ideas to inspire you? Read Shadowmancer and its sequels by G.P. Taylor. It's strongly based in Christian belief, but in an interesting and fantastic light that makes it very interesting for anyone regardless of their religious beliefs. Great inspiration if you're going in a somewhat dark, Gothic direction.

Upvote 0

Samuel Preston

Jul 29, 2020
Houston
✟15,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I write some fantasy stories and these require world building. This requires knowledge of science, ecology, plant tectonics and weather, and that is if all you do is build a story based on earth, sun about the same density and distance and one moon. Add moons or remove one and gravity changes. This is why fantasy still is found with science fiction because like science fiction, good quality fantasy requires world building.

If you like to learn things, can self teach yourself facts and don't mind spending a few years acquiring what you need, world building is possible, but if prefer not to, create a fantasy, like the Dresden Files

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,956.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Since you are an atheist, a project that might have some value to you is to read the bible and then to create characters that inhabit that biblical world as if it were all real. You might find the experience transformative. You can choose from a multitude of cultures and or historical time frames, extend your project into the experience of the church through history in Japan and elsewhere and the possibilities are unlimited.

Upvote 0