Help with a passgae that drives me crazy.

peterparker

Dec 3, 2007
✟15,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
WARNING: If you're still strugling with faith, or you're a little shaky when it comes to God, please don't read this. The last thing I need is to find out I made someone stumble or hurt their relationship with God. This is for people who are rocks in God, with strong faith and hopefully alot of wisdom.

Hi. I was wondering if anyone can tell what bible passage says something along the lines of: If you do something you know is bad, and still do it, and don't repent, you will be judged. I believe it's in the new testament, and I really want to understand this passage more.

For some time now my life and faith has been destroyed by this passage. In large part this passage has kept me from feeling forgiven by God, this passage has lead me to suicidal thoughts, this passage has made me be bitter towards God. For the most part the passage is the bane of my life.

Now I can't completely blame the passage. I have been cursed with a legalistic and pessimistic mind. Which basically makes me into a pharisee, but because of my pesimism the legalistic persucution isn't turned against others, it's turned against myself.

I fear almost everything I do is bad. I won't get into many specifics because I don't want to hear you're varying views on what is good and what is bad (that might mess me up more). I will, however, give one example: For the last few months or so I have been working a novel with some friends. It is an action, sci-fi, adventure story. I have many concept drawings, I have a large part of the story mapped out. A few days ago I was talking to one of my friends about how much fun this is, and how it seems like this is what we were meant to do. I will admit I don't love God, and have not loved God ever. I have been trying and working on it though since I became a born again. With that said my story you could say was not inspired by God. I believe in justice, compassion, fighting for good, etc., so it does have good morals.

The problems then started. There will be action (and violence) in the novel, it is a hero/action story afterall. The characters will not be perfect moral people (they're regular people in an action story). The friends I'm writing the story with are non-christians (they're not horrible, amoral, bad people, but they are not christians). Again, when I'm about to write I don't think "what would Jesus do...". Other things start to pop in my head: Is this an idol? I'm enjoying this experience alot afterall. Is this for the glory of God, or just for enjoyment, am I living out my characters life vicariously because his life is more exciting (meaning I don't appreciate what God gave me), am I going to cause someone to stumble when they read my story and take it the wrong way and turn into a murderer. You can see where this goes.

I guess I'll give a few examples more examples of how my mind works: I'm a soccer goaly, but I'm not too good. I, however, found a way to get more mentally prepared and to play better. I heard from a friend that while he was in the army they would be told to think that they were tigers, and that this would motivate them to run faster and have more energy. I thought "I'll pretend to be a superhero (Batman... yes I'm a goof) while playing goaly, which will help me be more mentally prepared to play". But then it starts... Is Batman your idol? Shouldn't you be calling on Jesus to help you play better, not some false idol? Another example is cheering for my favorite soccer team. I start to worry if its an idol, if maybe I care more for the team than for God. Or better yet, a good soccer game is going to come on TV. Well, if God asked me to not watch what would I say, which turns into: If you watch the game than you fail God, because if you watch the game you're creating an idol. And so on...

What this comes down to is that my legalistic and pessimistic way of thinking never lets me rest. If there's anyway something can be spun into a bad thing I can think it up. So now everything is bad. My favorite pass times are bad, even mundane things are bad (Romans 14: 23 doesn't help my cause either). "Oh but you're forgiven by Jesus, your sins are erased, you're fine, everything is ok, life is good!!!". Not according to the passage I heard one day in church. If you know something is bad, and still do it, and don't repent, you will still be judged. And Romans 14 really finishes me off by solidifying the fact that if i fear something is bad, then it is. So now I have so much to repent about, which is insanely difficult in itself if you're talking about true repentence, and my life is now a waste. Enjoying life has become synonymous to sin to me. And to top it all off passages that say hating your life is a good thing make me think God did indeed plan it like this.

So I am asking for two things:
1. Can anyone tell me where to find the passage I'm looking for. I really need to look into it.

2. And for the love of God can someone please prove to me I'm wrong. I don't mean say "Don't worry!!! Jesus loves you!!! He died for your sins!!!". I know Jesus loves me, but God will still fry my ass if I do what that passage says not to do. And yes, Jesus died for my sins, but again according to that passage I can still mess it up and go you know where.

Please God, send someone to prove me wrong!!! I know I don't deserve it, but I'm tired of living in a black and white world feeling unforgiven, I'm tired of imagining my mom crying and in pain if I ever did something to myself, I'm tired of having no hope for the future, I'm tired of cursing you for this my pain. Please someone help me.

SunMessenger

Devoted To The Holy Spirit Of God
Apr 27, 2006
New England
✟202,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am praying you find what you need to achieve peace and joy. God bless you...

Christian.gif

Father we pray for Your Holy Spirit to enter this matter and meet all needs. We know nothing is impossible for You and we pray for Your divine intervention. As Your children we know to expect a miracle. It is in Jesus Beloved, Holy, Gentle and Mighty Name we pray.
Amen

Upvote 0

Lbet123

Veteran
Sep 25, 2007
✟17,055.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The devil or as I refer to him mr. doo doo is really messing with you! You have a lot of questions and all are valid but FIRST before we do anything else you need to kick that little liar to the curb! The bible says in
James 4:7
Submit yourselves, then to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Also in
James 4:8
Come near to God and He will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
I would also like to give you this prayer. If you start every morning off with it you will begin to see changes in your life and you will GROW in your walk with God

Prayer for God’s Accompaniment
Grant me your grace O Lord Jesus, the long-suffering, and be with me that I may dwell in You unto the end. Grant me that I may ask and wish always for what is pleasing to You. Let Your will be my will. Let my will follow always Your will and be in accord with it in a perfect way. Let both of us have one will, for I don’t want to desire anything except what You want and what You wish. Grant me not to lust for the things of this world, that I may dwell in You in all things and hold above all things the desire to be as You would have me be and to do as You would have me do. You are the peace of my heart and the shelter of my life. You are the real peace and the only comfort and apart from You, everything is hard and confusing. Therefore, in this peace which is in You, the Great Eternal Good, I am able to rest. For Yours is the kingdom, and the power and the glory forever.
Our Father who art in Heaven hollowed be thy name, thy kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one in Christ Jesus, for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever and ever
Amen

You say you are "Born Again" but you also say you do not love God. This is puzzling as the bible also tells us in
1 John 4:7,8
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love

You must know that the spirt is willing but the body is weak. If you want to be able to discern (know) God and how to live a life that is pleasing to Him you must feed your spirit (reading the bible, praying either attending a bible study or finding a good one online) these are some of the thngs you can call spiritual food. How can you think for a minute that you will be able to figure this all out if you never feed your soul? When your body is hungery you do not waste any time in feeding your stomache!
Don't get me wrong you are asking and that is by far the most important step but follow it up with consistent spirtual feedings and before you know it you will not only feel forgiven but know and understand how repentance and absolution works with God.
As for the scripture where you do somethng wrong and you know it is bad but still do it try reading
Romans 1:18-32
That might be the one you are talking about. If not PM me as I can give you some other scriptures. peterparker you are on the right road don't let mr doo doo rob you of the peace of mind and love and compassion and mercy you can have living in the knowledge of your heavenly Father and all the wonderous plans he has for you!
L

Reactions: Latee
Upvote 0

peterparker

Dec 3, 2007
✟15,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The devil or as I refer to him mr. doo doo is really messing with you! You have a lot of questions and all are valid but FIRST before we do anything else you need to kick that little liar to the curb! The bible says in
James 4:7
Submit yourselves, then to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Also in
James 4:8
Come near to God and He will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
I would also like to give you this prayer. If you start every morning off with it you will begin to see changes in your life and you will GROW in your walk with God

Prayer for God’s Accompaniment
Grant me your grace O Lord Jesus, the long-suffering, and be with me that I may dwell in You unto the end. Grant me that I may ask and wish always for what is pleasing to You. Let Your will be my will. Let my will follow always Your will and be in accord with it in a perfect way. Let both of us have one will, for I don’t want to desire anything except what You want and what You wish. Grant me not to lust for the things of this world, that I may dwell in You in all things and hold above all things the desire to be as You would have me be and to do as You would have me do. You are the peace of my heart and the shelter of my life. You are the real peace and the only comfort and apart from You, everything is hard and confusing. Therefore, in this peace which is in You, the Great Eternal Good, I am able to rest. For Yours is the kingdom, and the power and the glory forever.
Our Father who art in Heaven hollowed be thy name, thy kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one in Christ Jesus, for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever and ever
Amen

You say you are "Born Again" but you also say you do not love God. This is puzzling as the bible also tells us in
1 John 4:7,8
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love

You must know that the spirt is willing but the body is weak. If you want to be able to discern (know) God and how to live a life that is pleasing to Him you must feed your spirit (reading the bible, praying either attending a bible study or finding a good one online) these are some of the thngs you can call spiritual food. How can you think for a minute that you will be able to figure this all out if you never feed your soul? When your body is hungery you do not waste any time in feeding your stomache!
Don't get me wrong you are asking and that is by far the most important step but follow it up with consistent spirtual feedings and before you know it you will not only feel forgiven but know and understand how repentance and absolution works with God.
As for the scripture where you do somethng wrong and you know it is bad but still do it try reading
Romans 1:18-32
That might be the one you are talking about. If not PM me as I can give you some other scriptures. peterparker you are on the right road don't let mr doo doo rob you of the peace of mind and love and compassion and mercy you can have living in the knowledge of your heavenly Father and all the wonderous plans he has for you!
L
That wasn't the passage. It spoke of being judged for doing what you know is wrong, and not repenting.

I do read the Bible. I have already read all the gospels, Romans, and am working my way through acts. I have also read bits and pieces from the OT and other books, and I read articles online too. I also often speak to my pastors after church and in the middle of the week. You're right that I should join a bible study, I was in one a while ago (it was kinda wierd though as it was run like a church), but am not in one currently.

You also may be right that I am not born again, but I have believed in Jesus and God for some years now. The reason I don't love God might have to do with not feeling I am forgiven. I hear that those that are in Christ are forever forgiven and don't have to do what is right, but are free to do what is right. But then I read passages like that one I was referring to and it just messes things up for me.

I see many things in my life as bad, and giving up one thing you enjoy (specially if you don't really see it as bad) is hard enough. But I feel overwhelmed and feel I have to repent about everything. And repenting is hard to do too, you actually have to change your mind about the subject. I've thought about moving off to some farm away from society which would be hard for me to do, but I don't know how else to solve my problem.

All I want is to be at peace with God. I want to be happy even if things around me are bad. I've asked God to help me and I feel he helps me a little when I'm really down a little, but my life in general right now is miserable.

And how can I tell when God is speaking to me and when the Devil is tricking me. When I want to cheer for my favorite soccer team and then I feel afraid that it might be an idol is that God or the Devil? When I'm writing a story with my friends and one of them suggests we say that in the story there is a balance between good and evil, and that the balance has been upset and so on, and I start fearing that God might disagree with this, is that God talking or the Devil? I don't actually think that that's how the universe is, but then again I don't think people can fly but in our story some will have powers. I just don't always know what's good or bad, and don't always know if its God or the Devil speaking to me.

Upvote 0

kdrmckinney

Veteran
Dec 10, 2007
Kentucky
Visit site
✟9,194.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Dear Peterparker,

There are several passages that can be construed to have meaning similiar to what you propose. However, you can take almost any verse out of context and the meaning will be lost (or twisted). Additionally, there will be verses that seem to contradict each other when you read the NT as one who is reading the law, with no room for the grace of God. What your heart is longing for is His grace.

You are at a place of anger and despair in God; it is a pivotal time, a holy moment.

Will you go on with this elusive verse that you claim has hurt your faith? Or will you allow God to soothe your spirit with his fulfillment of the law in the person of Christ Jesus? You should let him have it! Unleash your hurt, your questions, your anger on him. See what he can do. It may get messy; it may get worse before it gets better. However, when you come to the place of trust and submission of your own agenda, you will be more fully yourself than ever because his Spirit will enable you to grow in knowledge and wisdom. It is then that the word of God will contain no snare for you, but will sustain you and feed your spirit.

God bless you as you seek his face. He's been waiting and will be happy to welcome you.

Denise M

Upvote 0

peterparker

Dec 3, 2007
✟15,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear Peterparker,

There are several passages that can be construed to have meaning similiar to what you propose. However, you can take almost any verse out of context and the meaning will be lost (or twisted). Additionally, there will be verses that seem to contradict each other when you read the NT as one who is reading the law, with no room for the grace of God. What your heart is longing for is His grace.

You are at a place of anger and despair in God; it is a pivotal time, a holy moment.

Will you go on with this elusive verse that you claim has hurt your faith? Or will you allow God to soothe your spirit with his fulfillment of the law in the person of Christ Jesus? You should let him have it! Unleash your hurt, your questions, your anger on him. See what he can do. It may get messy; it may get worse before it gets better. However, when you come to the place of trust and submission of your own agenda, you will be more fully yourself than ever because his Spirit will enable you to grow in knowledge and wisdom. It is then that the word of God will contain no snare for you, but will sustain you and feed your spirit.

God bless you as you seek his face. He's been waiting and will be happy to welcome you.

Denise M
How do I allow God to soothe my spirit?

Upvote 0

kdrmckinney

Veteran
Dec 10, 2007
Kentucky
Visit site
✟9,194.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Peterparker,

The same way my little son allows me to soothe his -- trust. It ain't easy. You don't even have to mean it at first, but tell our Father you are willing to trust him. He will honor your desire in ways that you cannot begin to imagine.

I am excited and happy for you. You have been brave enough to question his care. He will be faithful to show you.

You have friends here who are praying for you. Rest well, in anticipation of your spirit being soothed.

Denise M

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Praying that God will give you a revelation of His love.
I have been a Christian for 22 years, and have lived much of that time in condemnation... it is only in the last few weeks that I have really been able to accept that God loves me.
He doesn't want you to worry over evry little thing... but He does want you to love Him.
And that isn't something you can do on your own, it's a gift from Him.
And you are seeking Him, so
Jeremiah 29:13
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

That's a promise of God, brother.
Try to rest in Him and let Him do what He wants in you and with you... because He only wants the best for you!

Praying for you.

Upvote 0

Springrain

Feb 13, 2007
✟30,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Faith as "the courage to accept acceptance" by God. We may think that such faith does not demand much courage. On the contrary, it may sound sweet and easy. But courage is required and very often it is courage that is lacking. Why is it courageous to accept acceptance: Firstly, when things happen to us which disappoint us, we are inclined to complain "How can God permit this?" We begin to doubt the love of God. It takes courage to believe in God's acceptance no matter what happens to us. Such an act of faith goes beyond my personal experience. Faith is then an interpretation of life which I accept. Secondly, God's love is infinite. We can never grasp it, never get hold of it, much less control it. The only thing we can do is jump into its bottomless depth. And we do not like to jump. We are afraid to let go. The Swedish convert Sven Stolpe says that faith means to climb a very high ladder, and there while standing on the very top of the ladder, to hear a voice which says, "Jump, and I'll catch you." The one who jumps--he is the man of faith. It is courageous to jump. And there is the third reason which is more subtle but nonetheless real. It is fairly easy to believe in God's love in general but it is very difficult to believe in God's love for me personally. Why me? There are very few people who can really accept themselves, accept acceptance. Indeed, it is rare to meet a person who can cope with the problem "Why me?" Self-acceptance can never be based on my own self, my own qualities. Such a foundation would collapse. Self-acceptance is an act of faith. When God loves me, I must accept myself as well. I cannot be more demanding than God, can I?

Faith comes by learning to let go and trust God, something that is admittedly not very easy to do. A friend of mine is very fond of telling this story which perfectly illustrates how difficult it is to surrender control of our lives.

A man was walking up a hill one day when he went too close to the edge and slipped. Fortunately for him, a branch that grew on the side of the hill broke his fall, and as he clung on to it desperately, he began hollering for help.
"Is anybody out there?" he screamed.
After a little while he heard a sonorous voice from above. "This is God!"
"Whew!" the man exclaimed in relief. "You came in time. Please save me."
"Let go the branch," said God.
The man blinked in disbelief. He looked down at the jagged rocks winking at him thirty feet below, then up again. "Are you kidding?"
"No, I'm not kidding," said God. "I will save you. Just let go."
The man looked down again, shook his head despairingly and then cried out. "Is anybody else out there?"

We often face situations like this in our lives, where everything seems hopeless and our downfall certain. Most of us frantically seek out ways or means in which to "save" ourselves, none of them involving God. A man with true faith, however, will simply surrender the situation to God; FAITH is just saying YES to God's incredible MERCY.

Such a level of faith does not come overnight. It is built up over time, by a gradual process of realizing God's own faithfulness, and by surrendering the things we cling to. This begins by understanding the basic fact that we have absolutely no control over anything, and by surrendering ourselves into God's hands we enable his will to be done in our lives without danger of us going contrary to it. The more we are able to surrender, the greater our growth will be. And the greater our freedom as well, because surrendering also relieves us of a lot of the unnecessary weight that we carry on our shoulders.

Father, I pray for your Mercy to flow like living water into the interior of this soul.

Upvote 0

peterparker

Dec 3, 2007
✟15,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Faith as "the courage to accept acceptance" by God. We may think that such faith does not demand much courage. On the contrary, it may sound sweet and easy. But courage is required and very often it is courage that is lacking. Why is it courageous to accept acceptance: Firstly, when things happen to us which disappoint us, we are inclined to complain "How can God permit this?" We begin to doubt the love of God. It takes courage to believe in God's acceptance no matter what happens to us. Such an act of faith goes beyond my personal experience. Faith is then an interpretation of life which I accept. Secondly, God's love is infinite. We can never grasp it, never get hold of it, much less control it. The only thing we can do is jump into its bottomless depth. And we do not like to jump. We are afraid to let go. The Swedish convert Sven Stolpe says that faith means to climb a very high ladder, and there while standing on the very top of the ladder, to hear a voice which says, "Jump, and I'll catch you." The one who jumps--he is the man of faith. It is courageous to jump. And there is the third reason which is more subtle but nonetheless real. It is fairly easy to believe in God's love in general but it is very difficult to believe in God's love for me personally. Why me? There are very few people who can really accept themselves, accept acceptance. Indeed, it is rare to meet a person who can cope with the problem "Why me?" Self-acceptance can never be based on my own self, my own qualities. Such a foundation would collapse. Self-acceptance is an act of faith. When God loves me, I must accept myself as well. I cannot be more demanding than God, can I?

Faith comes by learning to let go and trust God, something that is admittedly not very easy to do. A friend of mine is very fond of telling this story which perfectly illustrates how difficult it is to surrender control of our lives.

A man was walking up a hill one day when he went too close to the edge and slipped. Fortunately for him, a branch that grew on the side of the hill broke his fall, and as he clung on to it desperately, he began hollering for help.
"Is anybody out there?" he screamed.
After a little while he heard a sonorous voice from above. "This is God!"
"Whew!" the man exclaimed in relief. "You came in time. Please save me."
"Let go the branch," said God.
The man blinked in disbelief. He looked down at the jagged rocks winking at him thirty feet below, then up again. "Are you kidding?"
"No, I'm not kidding," said God. "I will save you. Just let go."
The man looked down again, shook his head despairingly and then cried out. "Is anybody else out there?"

We often face situations like this in our lives, where everything seems hopeless and our downfall certain. Most of us frantically seek out ways or means in which to "save" ourselves, none of them involving God. A man with true faith, however, will simply surrender the situation to God; FAITH is just saying YES to God's incredible MERCY.

Such a level of faith does not come overnight. It is built up over time, by a gradual process of realizing God's own faithfulness, and by surrendering the things we cling to. This begins by understanding the basic fact that we have absolutely no control over anything, and by surrendering ourselves into God's hands we enable his will to be done in our lives without danger of us going contrary to it. The more we are able to surrender, the greater our growth will be. And the greater our freedom as well, because surrendering also relieves us of a lot of the unnecessary weight that we carry on our shoulders.

Father, I pray for your Mercy to flow like living water into the interior of this soul.
Your post made alot of sence to me, but I always have a hard time the concept of letting go and surrendering my will to God.

In my case does surrendering my life to God mean that I quit all the stuff that makes me feel guilty. As in no more writing my story as I fear it might be offending God. Basically no more tv, no more video games, no more comic books, no more music, no more soccer, no more web design classes, no more hip hop dancing classes, etc., etc. You have to understand that because of my legalism and pesimism this step would pretty much mean I do have to move somewhere away from society, or just be closed off from most of the things around me. Just go to church, work, sleep, eat. Is that letting go?

OR......

Is letting go doing all those things that I worry MIGHT be bad. The things that I fear are offending God, but many of my pastors and mom tell me aren't bad. Do I just put my fear of hell and judgement in God's hands and live life, and let him obtain my salvation?

Which is it? I've always had a hard time understanding what letting go, and giving over to God, is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Springrain

Feb 13, 2007
✟30,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be exalted." This goes for sinners too. Let me explain this way...

There's an old joke about a priest and a deacon who are peeking out from the vestibule at a man sitting in the back pew of church, beating his breast and saying aloud, "Lord, be merciful to me, a sinner."

The priest turns to the deacon and says, "Now look at who thinks he's a sinner!"

This joke is based on the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector (Luke 18:9-14), which was addressed "to those who were convinced of their own righteousness and despised everyone else." Who among us would ever want to see ourselves as the Pharisee in this story, bragging about how holy we are? But the tax collector? Oh, boy! That's me—a sinner and not too proud to admit it to anyone who might listen.

This reaction, of course, is not what Jesus had in mind at all. In fact, Jesus was opposed to public displays of piety. "When you pray," he advised his disciples, "go behind closed doors, and your heavenly Father, who is in private, will hear you."

Jesus noted that the tax collector went home "justified," while the Pharisee did not. "Justified" is a difficult word in English, because it implies that a person is "vindicated," as in "my decision was justified by the fact that everything worked out in the end." But it also means to make something straight, as in "The left margin of this article is justified."

The tax collector was not justified simply because he beat his breast and said he was a sinner. He was justified because he was truly contrite. True contrition, as the Church teaches, has four steps—none of which can be skipped if we are to be "made straight."

Step by Step

First, we have to admit that we did something wrong. This is what the Pharisee (like many of us) was unwilling to do. The tax collector, on the other hand, admitted that he had done many bad things, and he was genuinely sorry for them, which is the second mandatory step of contrition.

The third step is what Catholics call "a firm purpose of amendment." That means we have definite plans about how we are going to change our behavior. A vague "I'll try harder to be good" or "I won't do it again" is not good enough. The idea is not to mimic the tax collector who came back every week to beat his breast and say what a sinner he was. The point of admitting our sins and asking for mercy is that we are supposed to stop sinning!

The fourth and final step in true contrition is penance. That is, we must suffer the consequences and make up in some way for the harm we have done. To be justified, the tax collector could just not go out and "sin no more." He also had to try in some way to make right whatever he could—perhaps giving money back to people he had cheated or, if that was impossible, by donating money or time or talent to some good cause. If there were no other way to change his sinful behavior, then the tax collector would have to quit his job if he were to be justified.

Beyond 'I'm Sorry'

If the tax collector were truly contrite and not just putting on a show of piety, he would have wanted to follow all four of these steps. That's why he would have gone away justified. Otherwise, he would have been no different than the Pharisee. Nor would we.

The same is true for everyone—including corporate executives, government leaders, sports stars, celebrities, even Church officials—who want to say "I'm sorry" without following all four steps of true contrition. For if all four steps are not taken, then we run the risk of someone saying, "Now look who thinks he (or she) is a sinner."

Even in the business of asking forgiveness, we have to make sure that we are not exalting ourselves with false piety, for as Jesus said at the end of the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector, "Everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be exalted." This goes for sinners too.

God's Mercy is so incredible that is why we say Our God is Awesome!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Springrain

Feb 13, 2007
✟30,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is a very solemn scene in the movie Pinocchio where the Blue Fairy asks Jiminy Cricket to kneel as she dubs him the "Lord high-keeper of right and wrong, counselor in moments of temptation." It makes me think how great it would be if all our children were given tiny umbrella-wielding consciences to keep them on the straight and narrow.

As a parent, it falls to us to help our youngsters form a conscience of their own—not an easy task in today's culture.

As Christians we have very definite ideas of what is right and wrong. We are called to value others as much as we value ourselves and to value ourselves as much as God values us. We like to party and enjoy all God's gifts, but never at the expense of disrespecting others or ourselves. We believe that "going for the gusto" means becoming all God created us to be.

We help our children internalize this message when we take the time to listen and ask questions as they unpack their good deeds and bad. Why did they do what they did? How did they feel? Did the action help or hurt others/themselves? How was the action wrong? How was the action right? But most important, we have to somehow teach our children to stop and take the time to ask themselves these questions before they act.

We play the role of Jiminy Cricket for the first few years of our children's lives. We are the outside voice that points out right from wrong, until hopefully, like Pinocchio, they learn from their mistakes and successes and begin to listen to the quiet voice inside. Then, like that little wooden boy, they too are on their way to becoming all their creator hopes they grow to be.

We are all God's children learning as we go, making mistakes learning from them. Isn't it wonderful to have this Merciful loving Father who is patient to teach and to forgive. When I realize how awesom He truly is...it inspires me to want to please Him.

Upvote 0

kdrmckinney

Veteran
Dec 10, 2007
Kentucky
Visit site
✟9,194.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Peterparker,

It's not so much about "Thou shalt not..." as the freedom we receive when we build relationship with God. We build relationship when we trust that he will guide us into all truth through our study of His word, meeting with other believers, performing acts of service and mercy, prayer and any of the other "disciplines" that open our hearts to hearing his call. I don't want this all to sound so mystical or overwhelming that you lose hope ... a big step would be to pray each morning, LORD God, I thank you for walking with me, for guiding me. I am going to put my trust in you today, knowing that you love me. Just a simple prayer like that will really help you gain a sense of direction and learn to love and trust Him. Other means of growing in wisdom will come in time.

Be patient with yourself. Your study of the Word is wonderful! Sometimes having a prayer partner or group can really make Biblical applications come to life. Is that a possibility for you?

A verse that may help you is John 10:10 where Jesus tells us that he has come to give abundant life ... that means a life governed not by fear or "the law," but by the joy found in the love of God. You are seeking and His promise is that YOU WILL FIND.

God bless you!

Denise M

Reactions: buttercup2000
Upvote 0