Aug 19, 2012
England
✟15,201.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
jr001,

Yes, what you've said makes a lot of sense. I can understand wanting a stepping stone. If I remember right, when I first became a Christian and the Bible was a "new" book for me, I wanted help in interpreting the pages I was reading. I didn't really know where to go for help.

If you are feeling "daunted" by it all, take some reassurance that in many ways, many, if not most, of us Christians have similar feelings.

I would recommend that you just read the New Testament at your own pace, but you may want to begin with reading one of the Gospels (i.e. Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John), then follow that immediately with the book of Acts. This will at least allow you to understand some of the historical framework with which Christianity began and introduce you to the backgrounds of some of the writers of the various books and letters in the rest of the New Testament (Peter, James, John, Paul).

This way there is nothing to have to buy or to look up.

Do you think this might help, or would you still like for me to recommend a book?

2PhiloVoid

No, that's great advice. At the moment I am working through Matthew, so think I will do what you said and read the Gospels and then Acts. Perhaps I will see about buying a book after I have read them first. There is so much to absorb - though I guess there is no worry I might run out of reading material! lol. Thanks for the reply, am looking forward to reading my Bible again tomorrow now I have some direction to go in! :)

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,163,368.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Just be aware that the things you've been referred to come from very different theological orientations. Piper and Wright don't exactly agree with each other. Not that that's bad, mind you. The biggest split among Christians is between roughly three major groups, that differ on their basic source of authority: Catholics (ancient tradition), conservative Protestants (16th and 17th Cent Protestant tradition), liberal Protestants (current critical scholarship, including science). All will be happy to give you interpretations of Jesus, but they differ in significant ways. It may be worth looking at all three.

Piper and Swindoll are conservative Protestants. Wright is considered conservative in the UK, but is liberal by US definitions because he uses critical scholarship. I don't know Rowan Williams as well, but I suspect he's similar to Wright. C S Lewis is an older writer, who is useful in some areas, but not so much in giving a good view of the background of the Gospels. (He was a popular writer who wasn't really focused on New Testament studies.) Garry Wills is a Catholic who is thought of as a conservative politically, but I don't know much about his theological views. So these recommendations span the three approaches.

Wright is the best I know in terms of what you asked for, which is background to help you understand the Gospels, but as a representative of liberal Protestantism he may be a bit dubious, because he's at the conservative end of critical scholarship. Still, I'd hate to send a new Christian to one of the more way-out guys as the first thing.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
jr001 said:
Hi, I am a literature graduate and a writer so have no problems with reading a vast amount. There is so much literature out there though that it is hard to know where to begin. I come from an atheist family, and until Jesus found me I was a pagan, so to suddenly start reading the Bible and take lessons from the NT is really hard for me to do. I guess I'm after a book which explains what Jesus was saying, the historical context, and how to apply it in my own life. I will have a look at N T Wright, thanks, and I will have a look at his books on the Gospels. :)

Another "vote" for NT Wright from me. Look for his more accessible books though:
Simply Christian
Surprised by Hope
Virtue Reborn
Simply Jesus
How God Became King
The ... for Everyone commentaries.
Etc

His "heavy" academic books are excellent but hard going.

In England it's usually the case that it's accessible if it says Tom Wright on the cover and academic if it says NT Wright but the American publishers didn't stick with that convention (and even SPCK aren't completely consistent).

Upvote 0

cantool

Mar 20, 2011
North Carolina, USA
✟19,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
JR001, you can get plenty of intelligent advice from many here.
If its really Jesus that you are needing, just stay with the bible. All other sources have their own particular twists to the doctrine that Jesus and his Apostles preached, which effectively, renders them all completely wrong!
If it is just to belong to a certain select group of peoples, then read everything you care too, and listen to whomever you wish. In the end, it will not matter one Iota anyway. Why? Because you have allowed man to teach you of a Lord and God they know so little of. The Almighty God holds each and every individual responsible for learning of Him by seeking and speaking with Him continuously. Develop a relationship with Jesus the same as you would a lover (with the same affections and adoration, I meant to say).
Ask your Savior to fill you with His Holy Spirit so that you can learn directly from Him. Ask Him to show you the church He recommends you to attend. There are those who preach with His authority, and so many more that get a license from a seminary to preach; these latter ones are not sent by God, but went because of their own preferences.
About the word "Christian"; God refers to His Children as 'Sons of God'. He never conceived the word "christian". The Roman soldiers did. It was meant as a derogatory term for any that confessed Jesus the Christ as Lord and Savior, nothing more.
The Word of God is the Absolute Truth; there are no writings outside of His Word that I will ever recommend to you. I do suggest that you read testimonies from time to time. You may benefit from them. The only Internationally known minister that I currently will promote is Joseph Prince of Singapore. This man is of the Five-Fold Ministry (God's government). Listen to any sermon that Mr. Prince teaches on the temple of God. It is old testament, but crucial to your God-kind of Life.:holy:

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
cantool said:
About the word "Christian"; God refers to His Children as 'Sons of God'. He never conceived the word "christian". The Roman soldiers did. It was meant as a derogatory term for any that confessed Jesus the Christ as Lord and Savior, nothing more.

Just a slight correction: it was in Antioch that the term was coined. It's unlikely it was Roman soldiers but the people of Antioch (who often coined terms like that). It probably originally meant something like 'that bunch who keep boring us senseless about some bloke they call "the oily one"'

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi

I am new to Christianity and am trying to undertand the teachings of Jesus, but I find the Bible heavy going at times

The first thing would be to get a readable version of the Bible (the NIV, perhaps) and start reading the New Testament.

I would also recommend C.S. Lewis' little book "Mere Christianity" as a short summary of the Christian faith.

Upvote 0

cantool

Mar 20, 2011
North Carolina, USA
✟19,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just a slight correction: it was in Antioch that the term was coined. It's unlikely it was Roman soldiers but the people of Antioch (who often coined terms like that). It probably originally meant something like 'that bunch who keep boring us senseless about some bloke they call "the oily one"'

Thanks Ebia. I knew there was something more to it than what I had posted, but my point still stands though; if God hasn't spoken it, it is not for His people. "Christian" is not His Word.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
cantool said:
Thanks Ebia. I knew there was something more to it than what I had posted, but my point still stands though; if God hasn't spoken it, it is not for His people. "Christian" is not His Word.

Well, 1 Peter then picks it up and appropriates it

Upvote 0

jr001

Aug 19, 2012
England
✟15,201.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Another "vote" for NT Wright from me. Look for his more accessible books though:
Simply Christian
Surprised by Hope
Virtue Reborn
Simply Jesus
How God Became King
The ... for Everyone commentaries.
Etc

His "heavy" academic books are excellent but hard going.

In England it's usually the case that it's accessible if it says Tom Wright on the cover and academic if it says NT Wright but the American publishers didn't stick with that convention (and even SPCK aren't completely consistent).

Brilliant, I will definitely have to have a look at some of his books then!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,163,368.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
If you are being sincere then I will have to have a think and pm you some of my questions; you will regret your offer then! ;)

Just be aware that his postings suggest that he's not quite part of the mainstream. Others here would be willing to help as well, I'm sure. Various of us represent moderately liberal and conservative views.

Upvote 0

golgotha61

World Christian in Progress
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
Ohio
✟79,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I am a literature graduate and a writer so have no problems with reading a vast amount. There is so much literature out there though that it is hard to know where to begin. I come from an atheist family, and until Jesus found me I was a pagan, so to suddenly start reading the Bible and take lessons from the NT is really hard for me to do. I guess I'm after a book which explains what Jesus was saying, the historical context, and how to apply it in my own life. I will have a look at N T Wright, thanks, and I will have a look at his books on the Gospels. :)

Would you mind sharing how Christ convinced you to follow Him?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jr001

Aug 19, 2012
England
✟15,201.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just be aware that his postings suggest that he's not quite part of the mainstream. Others here would be willing to help as well, I'm sure. Various of us represent moderately liberal and conservative views.

Okay I will do that! I've been reading Matthew this morning and I have written in a notepad some bits I don't understand, where is the best place to ask the questions I have? (This forum has so many sections!)

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay I will do that! I've been reading Matthew this morning and I have written in a notepad some bits I don't understand, where is the best place to ask the questions I have? (This forum has so many sections!)

Best to create a thread within "For New Christians"

Upvote 0

Forge3

Forge
Aug 26, 2009
Toronto
✟13,441.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If you are being sincere then I will have to have a think and pm you some of my questions; you will regret your offer then! ;)

Lol I am ready. But I will only speak of love, compassion and mercy. Not of darkness and sin. Only of light and grace. That is my commission.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟244,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Check out:

"The Green Letters" by Miles J. Stanford. The best book I have ever read on walking with Christ and growing spiritually as a child of God.

You might also benefit from Vernon J. McGee's "Through the Bible" radio series. He takes a five-year journey through the Bible, cover to cover, and offers a very thorough, basic introduction to the Christian faith. The series is accompanied by a course outline, which can be obtained for free from the "Through the Bible" organization.

Thru the Bible Radio Network

One other excellent course of study you might consider is Dr. William Lane Craig's "Defender's Course." My wife and I have benefited greatly from this particular study of Christian theology and Christian apologetics.

Defending Biblical Christianity | Reasonable Faith

Selah.

Upvote 0

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pray to get your Spiritual Eyes, heart and ears opened. Let someone lay hands on you and pray for baptism in The Holy Spirit. Or pray for it yourself. The bible is a spiritual book. The Living Word of God.

1 Corinthians 2:14-16
King James Version (KJV)
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

Upvote 0