Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes the bishop seemed to be a very everyday sort~he had a short talk, great sense of humor yet a serious "what we must do" attitude.

The singing/chanting was hauntingly beautiful last night particularly in one long section where the chanters were alternating lines but there were times I could especially hear the bishop over everyone else and not because he was off-key and he was not wearing a mic--he is just an good singer.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As far as I know, bishops have a deacon who serves as the driver, assistant and chief bottle-washer. Some smaller parishes might not have all of the extra stuff that is needed for a hierarchical service (like the 2 and 3 candle holders), so the trunk of the car is filled with anything that might be needed for a service. Also, there can be some twists and turns in services that the chanters might not be aware of and the deacon serves as the liaison and keeps everything moving.

As for chanting, pretty much all clergy have had voice lessons. The first time, I was chanting for a hierarchical liturgy with +Nicholas of Detroit, he was leaning over my shoulder from the bishops chair. He is very good, but for the first few minutes, I was really confused as to what I was supposed to do. He had to nudge me a few times to get me started again.

I have found that bishops are very people oriented and more than a few have a mischievous sense of humor. When I started to inquire about seminary, my wife got a phone call which started out with "Guess who!". Wife (slightly irritated from being woken up from a nap), "I dont know, you just woke me up". "It's Bishop Nicholas, dontcha know?" My priest would get calls from him which would start with, "Hey is the preacher there?" My kids loved him because he would bless them with the sign of the cross, followed by a light cuff to the noggin.

Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As far as I know, bishops have a deacon who serves as the driver, assistant and chief bottle-washer. Some smaller parishes might not have all of the extra stuff that is needed for a hierarchical service (like the 2 and 3 candle holders), so the trunk of the car is filled with anything that might be needed for a service. Also, there can be some twists and turns in services that the chanters might not be aware of and the deacon serves as the liaison and keeps everything moving.

As for chanting, pretty much all clergy have had voice lessons. The first time, I was chanting for a hierarchical liturgy with +Nicholas of Detroit, he was leaning over my shoulder from the bishops chair. He is very good, but for the first few minutes, I was really confused as to what I was supposed to do. He had to nudge me a few times to get me started again.

I have found that bishops are very people oriented and more than a few have a mischievous sense of humor. When I started to inquire about seminary, my wife got a phone call which started out with "Guess who!". Wife (slightly irritated from being woken up from a nap), "I dont know, you just woke me up". "It's Bishop Nicholas, dontcha know?" My priest would get calls from him which would start with, "Hey is the preacher there?" My kids loved him because he would bless them with the sign of the cross, followed by a light cuff to the noggin.

^_^

Upvote 0

ExOrienteLux

The thread killer
Jul 30, 2004
✟9,795.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
LOL! I love Saidna THOMAS! He's the first bishop I ever got to meet, and you couldn't ask for a more down-to-earth man and excellent pastor. I'm so glad that he was the bishop at the first Hierarchical Liturgy I served at, because I know that +MELCHISIDEK, my current bishop, is rather imposing. Probably because he's about 7 feet tall. (His subdeacons joke about needed a "Ladder of Divine Ascent" to vest Vladyka)

I'm rather tall myself (upwards of 6 feet), so it was bizarre towering over Saidna while holding his dikiri (the two-candle holder). He's a great guy, though. Plus, his singing voice is fantastic.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well now see I wasn't going to remark about his diminutive stature...you guys are bad
kawaii.gif

oh it ain't just us. His Grace, Bishop Antoun of Miami was thrilled when Bishop Thomas was consecrated because there was finally a bishop shorter than him.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The last time that +Bishop BENJAMIN came, he brought a deacon with him, but the visits before then, he didn't. He came by himself. He is so funny and down to earth. The first time he came, he needed something cleaned and came down to the kitchen and cleaned it himself. He was chatting away while he was doing it. At coffee hour after the hierarchical DL, he doesn't want to sit at a head table. He wants to sit at a regular table and encourages everyone to come and visit with him for awhile.

The last time he came, he talked to the children about his vestments. He explained each piece and he had a little paper doll with all the appropriate pieces that he would put on the doll as he explained.

Upvote 0