Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Internet forums are a cruel venue. Participants write their academic comments about hell as if we're all members of a Jane Austen book club casually discussing a chapter of Pride And Prejudice.

But the numbers that I post on this thread from time to time are not fiction; they represent real people whose lives have culminated in unspeakable tragedy. I'd much prefer eternity in a looney bin, soling my pants and drooling all over myself like a stroke victim, than be where those unfortunates are in residence now.

Luke 16:27-28 . .The rich man answered: "I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment."

The rich man knew something about hell that apparently many of us online seem unable to fully appreciate. The time to be thinking about the hereafter is while we're in this life, now, before it ends, rather than the next when it will be too late to do anything about it.

POPULATION CLOCK UPDATE: 816 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures in post #1 are within reason, then something like 49,555,680 new arrivals have checked into the fiery sector of hades since June 19, 2017.
_

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Last I heard, Jesus had not yet returned, so the last judgement has not occurred, so hell is presently empty.
Only if you think of Hell as the second death lake of fire. As for now the lake of fire is empty.
Hell though is where the wicked go after death, while if your a christian, after you die physically, you are present with the Lord. The wicked dead just dont go nowhere, they go somewhere, and a place called hell is appropriate..

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 16:27-28 . .The rich man answered: "I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment."

Luke 16:29 . .But Abraham said: "They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them"

Luke 16:30 . . But he said: "No, Father Abraham"

The Bible says that Abraham himself was a prophet (Gen 20:7). Had the rich man believed the book of Genesis he would've listened to Abraham instead of arguing with him.

What can be supposed ever happened to the five brothers? Well; they believed neither Moses nor the Prophets; so I think it's safe to assume the worst: their fate was the same as the brother who went before them.

POPULATION CLOCK UPDATE: 827 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures in post #1 are within reason, then something like 50,223,710 new arrivals have checked into the fiery sector of hades since June 19, 2017.
_

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
FAQ: So there's an afterlife. What am I supposed to do about it?

A: Initiate a rapport with heaven. This is done via mediator.

1Tim 2:5-6 . . For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men

Simply find a private moment to speak up and tell Jesus that you're aware there's an afterlife and that that you're concerned about coming out on the wrong side of it. That'll get the ball rolling.

Be assured that your concern, if it's honest, won't end up in the round file.

John 6:37 . . All that the Father gives me shall come to me, and the one who comes to me I will certainly not cast out.

POPULATION CLOCK UPDATE: 834 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures in post #1 are within reason, then something like 50,648,820 new arrivals have checked into the fiery sector of hades since June 19, 2017.
_

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
FAQ: Why hell? It's so extreme. Why not just exterminate people like insects and get it over with instead of forever baking them in an oven and/or simmering them in a lake of brimstone?

A: I am convinced that if someone bright enough, and capable enough, to invent and construct an entire cosmos with all of its forms of life matter and energy, can think of no other way to adequately satisfy justice other than Jesus' crucifixion, then there's just simply no other viable option; because if there was another option besides Jesus' crucifixion, then an IQ such as God's would've thought of it by now.

POPULATION CLOCK UPDATE: 857 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures in post #1 are within reason, then something like 52,045,610 new arrivals have checked into the fiery sector of hades since June 19, 2017.
_

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
FAQ: Why hell? It's so extreme. Why not just exterminate people like insects and get it over with instead of forever baking them in an oven and/or simmering them in a lake of brimstone?

A: I am convinced that if someone bright enough, and capable enough, to invent and construct an entire cosmos with all of its forms of life matter and energy, can think of no other way to adequately satisfy justice other than Jesus' crucifixion, then there's just simply no other viable option; because if there was another option besides Jesus' crucifixion, then an IQ such as God's would've thought of it by now.

POPULATION CLOCK UPDATE: 857 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures in post #1 are within reason, then something like 52,045,610 new arrivals have checked into the fiery sector of hades since June 19, 2017.
_

Quite a tedious B-grade horror you've managed to conjure out of the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus there sir. Maybe we should get 'the Count' from Sesame St to keep score in 'real time' to liven it up a bit.

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
FAQ: Rev 20:14 says that death was thrown into the lake of fire. How is that possible seeing as how death is not a physical object?

A: The name of the rider on the pallid horse in Rev 6:8 is Death. He and hades are closely associated in Rev 6:8 just as they are in Rev 20:14, strongly suggesting that the rider on the pallid horse represents some sort of supernatural grim reaper in charge of gathering up and organizing the dead for their journey across the river Styx; so to speak.

Seeing as how Death is destined for the lake of brimstone, then I think it's safe to assume that the rider on the pallid horse is an actual being who has little to do with folk while they're alive, but the moment they pass away, his organization is right there to take them.

One of the most disturbing scenes I've yet to observe in a Hollywood movie occurs in "GHOST" starring Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore. When someone marked for hell passes away, these eerie phantoms emerge, uttering awful moans, and drag their panic-stricken prey down into the ground. I don't know if any of that is true or not; but it's about as accurate a description of the activities of that sinister being on the pallid horse as I can imagine for now.

But can you picture in your mind's eye just how shocking and terrifying it would be to die and of a sudden be able to see the spirit creatures all around us stalking people day and night 24/7 without our knowing, patiently waiting the moment when they can haul us off?

According to Luke 16:22, angels provided Lazarus' transportation to Abraham's location. The Bible doesn't say who, or what, provided the rich man's transportation, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the rider on the pallid horse had something to do with it.

POPULATION CLOCK UPDATE: 867 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures in post #1 are within reason, then something like 52,652,910 new arrivals have checked into the fiery sector of hades since June 19, 2017.
_

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FAQ: Rev 20:14 says that death was thrown into the lake of fire. How is that possible seeing as how death is not a physical object?
_

The "Lake of Fire" is not a physical object either.
All this takes place after we are dead and
no longer on earth.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Internet forums are a cruel venue. Participants write their academic comments about hell as if we're all members of a Jane Austen book club casually discussing a chapter of Pride And Prejudice.

One of the few movies I could watch over and over.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Matt 7:13-14 . . Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it./

Proper context is needed.

12 In everything, then, do to others as you would have them do to you. For this is the essence of the Law and the Prophets. Enter through the narrow gate.

"The narrow gate" is explained in the sentence before it.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I am sure all (believers & non-believers) will agree, the world is in a terrible mess.
What Father tells us ... Love others (through His love that He wants all to have) is not happening ... I rarely watch the TV news.

Early this morning I recalled something I read a few years back ... it describes action that ALL (true) believers can follow ..... after all it is not we who live ... but Christ Jesus Who lives in us ... we are branches on the True Vine ... receiving from Him, moment by moment, all that He is & has .... He has authority over ALL things.

See below ...
YWAM BASE THWARTS ISLAMIC ATTACK AND SEES ATTACKERS TURN TO GOD (YWAM = Youth with a mission)

A few months ago Taliban-trained militants from Iran marched to within 300 yards of one of our YWAM campuses, destroying much along the way. They had already burned 27 Christian churches in the area killing hundreds of Christians within a few hours. Thankfully God protected our brave and committed YWAMers and the army stopped them just 300 yards before they could burn us out too. They were beheading Christians who would not renounce Jesus. Their goal is to take over Nigeria, the largest and the most oil rich nation in Africa, to make it a Moslem nation.

The Nigerian President is a Moslem, though 45% of the population is Christian. 35% are Moslem, the rest animist. The stakes are high. As Nigeria goes, so goes the continent. In the "Christian" south, there are now thousands of militants, mostly angry university students, made bitter by corruption and injustice. They have grown stronger over the last decade. The militants now control much wealth, land and weapons and sell one-fifth of the nation’s oil supply on the black market to nations needing cheaper oil, to pay for the militants’ war.

After the attack the YWAM DTS outreach team, after much prayer, knew God was leading them on outreach to the camps of the militants. Into the camps went the prayed up YWAMers. One of the most ruthless murderers, armed with a large knife, approached the YWAMers with his knife poised over his head. The school leader, Alex, started walking toward the man. Alex spoke firmly but calmly “you need Jesus.” Over and over, he said it, as he drew closer to the drawn knife’s point. The man replied “No! Run or you die!”

When Alex was just a few feet away, the man fell to his knees, threw down his weapon and began weeping. He was saved and delivered, as were many others. Many of the militants had made oaths with Satan. One would go into a trance, moving like a crocodile and eat whole eggs, until the demons were appeased. He too was delivered and saved. As a result of this encounter the militants have started to encourage their men to go to YWAM. 300 former militants have just been through a YWAM three-week training course. Another 600 will start into a second course soon.

Three former militants gave their testimonies on the campus. One shared, “My job was to kidnap white people but I have been transformed by the power of God.” This is such a huge breakthrough! We now have a new base in a village controlled by the militants. The Government, has declared they want YWAM bases in each of the 36 states of Nigeria and have asked YWAM to rehabilitate the militants. Their testimonies reveal such darkness, satanic covenants, murders, the worst of the worst. But when they come to Jesus and get set free, they speak of freedom with such gratitude!

Source: YWAM testimony by Loren Cunningham

Brian McMichan – mcmichanco@hotmail.com

Rom 8:31 What then shall we say to [all] this? If God is for us, who [can be] against us? [Who can be our foe, if God is on our side?]

Radical Islam is a major curse on earth, but so are drugs, violence, anger, etc., etc.

Thank you immensely for this..... here is a related link:

Loren Cunningham: God is Transforming Nations

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

A: The name of the rider on the pallid horse in Rev 6:8 is Death. He and hades are closely associated in Rev 6:8 just as they are in Rev 20:14, strongly suggesting that the rider on the pallid horse represents some sort of supernatural grim reaper in charge of gathering up and organizing the dead for their journey across the river Styx; so to speak.

Seeing as how Death is destined for the lake of brimstone, then I think it's safe to assume that the rider on the pallid horse is an actual being who has little to do with folk while they're alive, but the moment they pass away, his organization is right there to take them.

One of the most disturbing scenes I've yet to observe in a Hollywood movie occurs in "GHOST" starring Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore. When someone marked for hell passes away, these eerie phantoms emerge, uttering awful moans, and drag their panic-stricken prey down into the ground. I don't know if any of that is true or not; but it's about as accurate a description of the activities of that sinister being on the pallid horse as I can imagine for now.

But can you picture in your mind's eye just how shocking and terrifying it would be to die and of a sudden be able to see the spirit creatures all around us stalking people day and night 24/7 without our knowing, patiently waiting the moment when they can haul us off?

According to Luke 16:22, angels provided Lazarus' transportation to Abraham's location. The Bible doesn't say who, or what, provided the rich man's transportation, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the rider on the pallid horse had something to do with it.

POPULATION CLOCK UPDATE: 867 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures in post #1 are within reason, then something like 52,652,910 new arrivals have checked into the fiery sector of hades since June 19, 2017.
_

Good thing Jesus has the keys to hell and death, and he uses them to free the slaves and liberate the captives. For he came to save the world, and God's salvation is the beginning and the end. Jesus, not the hungry ghosts and demons, is the last word. Final outcome of restoration, renewal and regeneration of all things was guaranteed for all time at Calvary. And the grace of our lord Jesus Christ be upon all (Rev 22:21).

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking strictly for myself, I have yet to come to terms with the thought of incarcerating the lost in an eternal, burning, suffering, dehydrating hell with no intermission day or night 24/7/365. I would much prefer that they simply be quarantined and cared for, sort of like a leper colony.

If God doesn't want them in heaven, okay, because there are quite a few people in this world that I don't want anywhere near me in the next life. But I would like it better if He would just exile the lost instead of making them a sideshow exhibit.

Isa 66:23-24 . . From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me: says The Lord. And they will go out and look upon the dead bodies of those who rebelled against Me; their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.

POPULATION CLOCK UPDATE: 887 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures in post #1 are within reason, then something like 53,867,510 new arrivals have checked into the fiery sector of hades since June 19, 2017.

NOTE: A standard D cell battery weighs roughly 4.726711 ounces. Multiplying that figure by 53,864,510 comes out to roughly 15,913,509 pounds and/or 7,957± tons.

A fully fueled Space Shuttle at launch, T minus 10, weighed 2,235 tons. All those D cell batteries are roughly equal to three Shuttles with 1,252 tons to spare, representing 8,476,084 D cell batteries.
_

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Speaking strictly for myself, I have yet to come to terms with the thought of incarcerating the lost in an eternal, burning, suffering, dehydrating hell with no intermission day or night 24/7/365. I would much prefer that they simply be quarantined and cared for, sort of like a leper colony.

If God doesn't want them in heaven, okay, because there are quite a few people in this world that I don't want anywhere near me in the next life. But I would like it better if He would just exile the lost instead of making them a sideshow exhibit.

Isa 66:23-24 . . From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me: says The Lord. And they will go out and look upon the dead bodies of those who rebelled against Me; their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.

POPULATION CLOCK UPDATE: 887 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures in post #1 are within reason, then something like 53,867,510 new arrivals have checked into the fiery sector of hades since June 19, 2017.

NOTE: A standard D cell battery weighs roughly 4.726711 ounces. Multiplying that figure by 53,864,510 comes out to roughly 15,913,509 pounds and/or 7,957± tons.

A fully fueled Space Shuttle at launch, T minus 10, weighed 2,235 tons. All those D cell batteries are roughly equal to three Shuttles with 1,252 tons to spare, representing 8,476,084 D cell batteries.
_

I like your views, because they're honest revelation of damnation. The only small problem is that damnation is not how it ends. HIS SALVATION is the omega. So your fidelity is to a false doctrine there.

Of course God's justice system is better than man's. He is more merciful than man. That's why David wisely chooses the divine punishment option. The judges of Israel are the saviours of Israel. Judgment in ancient Israel was about restoration not condemnation. Read Judges, Samuel etc.

The last verse of Isaiah is a little metaphoric to be interpreted literally and taken out of the run of context that precedes it, which is all about salvation. For Christians, it's all about salvation, everything brought under Christ's feet so God will be all in all.

Plus spaceships don't exist, it's just more fairy tales for adults.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Quite a tedious B-grade horror you've managed to conjure out of the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus there sir. Maybe we should get 'the Count' from Sesame St to keep score in 'real time' to liven it up a bit.
All of the ECF who quote or refer to the account of Lazarus and the rich man considered it factual, including Irenaeus a student of Polycarp who was a student of John. If you think the ECF were wrong you have to prove it not just say it.
.....The word parable is from the Greek word parabolos which means to place or throw beside, to clarify/explain something unknown by comparing it to something known.
The Lazarus/rich man account does not have the format of a parable there is no worldly situation which is or can be likened to heaven, there is no comparison.
It is not introduced as a parable and was not explained later to Jesus’ disciples.
All of the unquestioned parables refer to events which had happened at some time in history; a widow found some lost coins, a shepherd found a lost sheep, a wayward son squandered all of his inheritance.
All of the unquestioned parables refer to anonymous people, “a certain man,”” a certain widow,”” a certain land owner,” etc. The Lazarus account names two specific people “Lazarus” and Abraham, an actual historical person, whom the rich man refers to as “father Abraham.” If Abraham was not in the place Jesus said and did not say the words Jesus quoted, then Jesus lied.

• Irenaeus Against Heresies Book II Chapter XXXIV.-Souls Can Be Recognised in the Separate State, and are Immortal Although They Once Had a Beginning.
Ireneaeus, [120-202 AD], was a student of Polycarp, who was a student of John.
1. The Lord has taught with very great fulness, that souls not only continue to exist, not by passing from body to body, but that they preserve the same form [in their separate state] as the body had to which they were adapted, and that they remember the deeds which they did in this state of existence, and from which they have now ceased,-in that narrative which is recorded respecting the rich man and that Lazarus who found repose in the bosom of Abraham. In this account He states that Dives [=Latin for rich] knew Lazarus after death, and Abraham in like manner, and that each one of these persons continued in his own proper position , and that [Dives] requested Lazarus to be sent to relieve him-[Lazarus], on whom he did not [formerly] bestow even the crumbs [which fell] from his table.
ANF01. The Apostolic Fathers with Justin Martyr and Irenaeus | Christian Classics Ethereal Library
• Clement of Alexandria [A.D. 153-193-217] The Instructor [Paedagogus] Book 1
On the Resurrection.
This was the day. “And a certain poor man named Lazarus was laid at the rich man’s gate, full of sores, desiring to be filled with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table.” This is the grass. Well, the rich man was punished in Hades, being made partaker of the fire; while the other flourished again in the Father’s bosom.
• Tertullian A Treatise On The Soul [A.D. 145-220.]
In hell the soul of a certain man is in torment, punished in flames, suffering excruciating thirst, and imploring from the finger of a happier soul, for his tongue, the solace of a drop of water. Do you suppose that this end of the blessed poor man and the miserable rich man is only imaginary? Then why the name of Lazarus in this narrative, if the circumstance is not in (the category of) a real occurrence? But even if it is to be regarded as imaginary, it will still be a testimony to truth and reality . For unless the soul possessed corporeality, the image of a soul could not possibly contain a finger of a bodily substance; nor would the Scripture feign a statement about the limbs of a body, if these had no existence.
• Tertullian Part First A Treatise On The Soul Chapter 57
9. Moreover, the fact that Hades is not in any case opened for (the escape of) any soul , has been firmly established by the Lord in the person of Abraham, in His representation of the poor man at rest and the rich man in torment.
• The Epistles Of Cyprian [A.D. 200-258] Epistle 54 To Cornelius, Concerning Fortunatus And Felicissimus, Or Against The Heretics
Whence also that rich sinner who implores help from Lazarus, then laid in Abraham’s bosom, and established in a place of comfort, while he, writhing in torments, is consumed by the heats of burning flame, suffers most punishment of all parts of his body in his mouth and his tongue, because doubtless in his mouth and his tongue he had most sinned.
• Methodius Fragments On The History Of Jonah [A.D. 260-312]
But souls, being rational bodies, are arranged by the Maker and Father of all things into members which are visible to reason, having received this impression. Whence, also, in Hades, as in the case of Lazarus and the rich man, they are spoken of as having a tongue, and a finger, and the other members; not as though they had with them another invisible body, but that the souls themselves, naturally, when entirely stripped of their covering, are such according to their essence.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All of the ECF who quote or refer to the account of Lazarus and the rich man considered it factual, including Irenaeus a student of Polycarp who was a student of John. If you think the ECF were wrong you have to prove it not just say it.
.....The word parable is from the Greek word parabolos which means to place or throw beside, to clarify/explain something unknown by comparing it to something known.
The Lazarus/rich man account does not have the format of a parable there is no worldly situation which is or can be likened to heaven, there is no comparison.
It is not introduced as a parable and was not explained later to Jesus’ disciples.
All of the unquestioned parables refer to events which had happened at some time in history; a widow found some lost coins, a shepherd found a lost sheep, a wayward son squandered all of his inheritance.
All of the unquestioned parables refer to anonymous people, “a certain man,”” a certain widow,”” a certain land owner,” etc. The Lazarus account names two specific people “Lazarus” and Abraham, an actual historical person, whom the rich man refers to as “father Abraham.” If Abraham was not in the place Jesus said and did not say the words Jesus quoted, then Jesus lied.

• Irenaeus Against Heresies Book II Chapter XXXIV.-Souls Can Be Recognised in the Separate State, and are Immortal Although They Once Had a Beginning.
Ireneaeus, [120-202 AD], was a student of Polycarp, who was a student of John.
1. The Lord has taught with very great fulness, that souls not only continue to exist, not by passing from body to body, but that they preserve the same form [in their separate state] as the body had to which they were adapted, and that they remember the deeds which they did in this state of existence, and from which they have now ceased,-in that narrative which is recorded respecting the rich man and that Lazarus who found repose in the bosom of Abraham. In this account He states that Dives [=Latin for rich] knew Lazarus after death, and Abraham in like manner, and that each one of these persons continued in his own proper position , and that [Dives] requested Lazarus to be sent to relieve him-[Lazarus], on whom he did not [formerly] bestow even the crumbs [which fell] from his table.
ANF01. The Apostolic Fathers with Justin Martyr and Irenaeus | Christian Classics Ethereal Library
• Clement of Alexandria [A.D. 153-193-217] The Instructor [Paedagogus] Book 1
On the Resurrection.
This was the day. “And a certain poor man named Lazarus was laid at the rich man’s gate, full of sores, desiring to be filled with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table.” This is the grass. Well, the rich man was punished in Hades, being made partaker of the fire; while the other flourished again in the Father’s bosom.
• Tertullian A Treatise On The Soul [A.D. 145-220.]
In hell the soul of a certain man is in torment, punished in flames, suffering excruciating thirst, and imploring from the finger of a happier soul, for his tongue, the solace of a drop of water. Do you suppose that this end of the blessed poor man and the miserable rich man is only imaginary? Then why the name of Lazarus in this narrative, if the circumstance is not in (the category of) a real occurrence? But even if it is to be regarded as imaginary, it will still be a testimony to truth and reality . For unless the soul possessed corporeality, the image of a soul could not possibly contain a finger of a bodily substance; nor would the Scripture feign a statement about the limbs of a body, if these had no existence.
• Tertullian Part First A Treatise On The Soul Chapter 57
9. Moreover, the fact that Hades is not in any case opened for (the escape of) any soul , has been firmly established by the Lord in the person of Abraham, in His representation of the poor man at rest and the rich man in torment.
• The Epistles Of Cyprian [A.D. 200-258] Epistle 54 To Cornelius, Concerning Fortunatus And Felicissimus, Or Against The Heretics
Whence also that rich sinner who implores help from Lazarus, then laid in Abraham’s bosom, and established in a place of comfort, while he, writhing in torments, is consumed by the heats of burning flame, suffers most punishment of all parts of his body in his mouth and his tongue, because doubtless in his mouth and his tongue he had most sinned.
• Methodius Fragments On The History Of Jonah [A.D. 260-312]
But souls, being rational bodies, are arranged by the Maker and Father of all things into members which are visible to reason, having received this impression. Whence, also, in Hades, as in the case of Lazarus and the rich man, they are spoken of as having a tongue, and a finger, and the other members; not as though they had with them another invisible body, but that the souls themselves, naturally, when entirely stripped of their covering, are such according to their essence.

Why Lazarus? I could tell you Der Alter, but it would be so shattering to your view of scripture that I durst not.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why Lazarus? I could tell you Der Alter, but it would be so shattering to your view of scripture that I durst not.
Don't bet your paycheck on it amigo. I learned to read when FDR was POTUS and a Christian since LBJ was POTUS I have probably read/heard every version of the Lazarus/rich man account there is. Google it I doubt you can count all the different versions. If you want to dismiss Lazarus/rich man you will have to prove it with clear and convincing evidence not just some other dood's opinion. And other than the ECF I have never seen any. Maybe you can surprise me.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like your views, because they're honest revelation of damnation. The only small problem is that damnation is not how it ends. HIS SALVATION is the omega. So your fidelity is to a false doctrine there.
Of course God's justice system is better than man's. He is more merciful than man. That's why David wisely chooses the divine punishment option. The judges of Israel are the saviours of Israel. Judgment in ancient Israel was about restoration not condemnation. Read Judges, Samuel etc.
The last verse of Isaiah is a little metaphoric to be interpreted literally and taken out of the run of context that precedes it, which is all about salvation. For Christians, it's all about salvation, everything brought under Christ's feet so God will be all in all.
Plus spaceships don't exist, it's just more fairy tales for adults
You must not be reading the same Bible I am. I am teaching through Leviticus at the present time. I don't see much restoration but I do see a lot of "shall be put to death,""shall be burned in fire,""shall be stoned" etc.
The Jews, remember them, believed that the last verse of Isaiah is factual not metaphoric. They also believed that Isaiah 14:4-11 was factual. And Jesus never corrected them about this.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't bet your paycheck on it amigo.

I wouldn't be risking much.

I learned to read when FDR was POTUS and a Christian since LBJ was POTUS I have probably read/heard every version of the Lazarus/rich man account there is.

Is that American? Sorry we speak English in Aus.

If you want to dismiss Lazarus/rich man you will have to prove it with clear and convincing evidence not just some other dood's opinion.

Convincing you of the possibility of the primacy of allegorical interpretation over the literal may only work if both were to yield the same result. Very often, they do not. Why? Because the letter kills, only the spirit gives life. And that's why Jesus uses parables to hide his meaning. Better for an audience of little children than the wise and the prudent.

Upvote 0